Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Contamines side country playground

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well some of this is more back country TBH but we got a head start from the lifts...

Not sure where we are posting this kind of thing these days but...

Anyway, after Feb half term the families went home and my friend and I had a few days to ski the lines we've been eyeing up for a while. Blue skies and stable snow pack gave us ideal conditions for exploring although we got a bit of everything on the snow front.

A useful view for orientation. These are the peaks S of the Les Contamines ski area and a lot of our lines are visible
1. Col des Chausseurs
2. Tete Sud des Fours
3. Couloir on Hauteluce side of Tete de Siecle
4. Col de Siecle
5. Col de Fenetre
6. Couloir on Montjoie side of TdS

None of this is glaciated. All of it aided by using the lifts (top of Buche Croisee - one way randonee pass available). The descents on the Montjoie side ultimately lead to the Roman Road and back to Les C.
Of course there is bigger, higher and more serious touring on the other side of the Montjoie valley but that was out of scope this time!

fatmaps view of traverse from Col de Siecle to Col des Chausseurs. First section is a steep boot pack (I was glad of crampons and axe but people manage without either or both). AFter that it a scenic skin up the ridge.

First you have to get to Col de Siecle. It's largely an easy traverse then skin from Buche Croisee but if you want a short cut there is a techy little gulley to kick turn up. One of those ones when you might be quicker bootpacking but pride makes you keep the skis on!

After crossing that it is a quick traverse to Col de Siecle then skis off for the main bootpack. Here I am at the top. Les Contamines ski area is just in top of shot

After the skin, the ski - looking back up the Col de Chausseurs. It's sustained at 40 degrees at the top. Slopes skiers right (below Aiguilles de Pennaz) are avalanche prone.

Next a longer trip over the Col de Bonhomme and round to the Tetes des Fours. We were aiming for a couloir past the Tete Nord des Fours but the skin was "delicate" and we were slow so settled for a ski from the pylon on Tete Sud des Fours. We headed over the Col de Fenetre (short skin from Buche Croisse) then down keeping right towards Col de Bonhomme (crossing under our route from the Chausseurs). We were aiming for the snowy low point on the far ridge (below)

I'm on the skin track from the Col de Bonhomme to Tete Sud des Fours. It looks lovely here. You can see its a rising traverse on steep ground (avalanche prone slopes). It had been windy up there and there were big sections of very firm sun hardened wind buff where you were edging more than skinning. My kick turns require A LOT of care in those conditions!

Our descent route. It's very shady and so should keep good snow but high winds had left it a real mixture - quite enjoyable but keeps you honest, especially above the rock bands.

Tired after a long day, next day we just did a couple of lines from Col de Fenetre.

Dropping in on the Montjoie side. Not a bad back drop (That's Aig de Bionassay, Dome de Gouter, Domes des Miages, Mt Blanc, Aig des Glaciers, Aig de Tre la Tete)

In the couloir

Our tracks

Looking back up

Back up and looking for another couloir. On the skin track to Tete de Siecle

Scoping

The one we chose on the Hauteluce side

Half way down - snow was pretty good

Fun on the apron 1

Fun on the apron 2

Final day and we finally got round to an obvious target. If you've skied in Les Contamines you must have noticed the couloirs from the Aig de Roselette. We were aiming for the Couloir de Banane

It is scenic round Les C! Skinning up the ridge of AIg de Roselette

Looking up the ridge - we dropped off right before the highest point in this shot

Good snow in the banana. It's N facing and sheltered. Apparently it generally has great snow.

Sorry if that was all a bit self indulgent but it was a great few days and may be shows how Les C is a good spot for some (not too hardcore) little adventures Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 12-03-22 15:53; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks fairly hardcore to this armchair off piste skier, @jedster. Nice to see pictures of Contamines.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lovely. We had a day in "Les Contas" last week with a new BSF who +/- grew up there (his grandfather built the hydro dam) and the potential is amazing. Pity we had absolutely rubbish snow (we were a bit early) ha ha ha! (beginner error).

But hopefully not the last excursion there Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent

Thanks for sharing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

his grandfather built the hydro dam

there's an interesting story about the building of that dam, which served as an important communications hub for the resistance
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great piece. As our instructor Philippe was telling us as well, there is quite a lot there. I think we would have seen some of those from the comfort of a chairlift but that's about as close as we would get!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice. I've done a lot of (adventurous!) mountain biking around there in summer, but haven't had a chance to any touring from Les C in winter. Need to check it out. Would make a nice day out from my regular Areches trip.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love Les Contamines and your photos, it maybe indulgent but much appreciated.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice lines snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy