Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sites for longer term weather forecast

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What are good websites for longer term weather trend forecasts?

I am a meteo-enthousiast (windsurfer) and can interpret the spaghetti plots (wigglies?) from the major weather sites. I use this one, to see further out:
https://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagse/?r=midden&type=both_pluim&element=ff

High pressure has been diverting and killing the snow-bringing low-pressure systems, for weeks on end now.
I want to see any early signs in the pressure systems.

I am just looking for comparable websites for the french alps
- spaghetti plots / wigglies
- weather amateur sites, can read french, where developments further out are discussed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One of the best sites/apps for weather forecasting if you're into action sports is www.windy.com

Click on the hamburger menu on the lower right & see there's lots of parameters you can select to display

You'll see that all the round the world yachtsmen in the single handed Vendée Globe etc were using it for their routeing decisions
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the mean time, found one interesting forum in french
https://forums.infoclimat.fr/f/topic/57109-du-7-au-13-f%C3%A9vrier-2022-pr%C3%A9vision-m%C3%A9t%C3%A9o-semaine-6/

Google translated
https://forums-infoclimat-fr.translate.goog/f/topic/57109-du-7-au-13-f%C3%A9vrier-2022-pr%C3%A9vision-m%C3%A9t%C3%A9o-semaine-6/?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=nl&_x_tr_pto=wapp
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Onnem, The thing is watching & interpreting Atlantic depressions and subsequent fronts and how they track up the Channel delivering potential wind is relatively straightforward compared to forecasting weather in the mountains.

For well over 20 years I've been running a popular site for UK South Coast Windsurfers and Kitesurfers , in those years I've seen the development of loads of great sites and apps such as windguru and windy and their accuracy has just gotten better and better as model resolutions have increased.

That said I still like looking at good old synoptic charts.

In the old days, it was very difficult to forecast a classic sea-breeze but now the majority of apps show the mid-afternoon swing in the Seabreeze season.

I still have a weather station updating to my site once a minute along with loads of other data as well as eyeball reports when I'm back in my house on the beach.

Since being able to spend whole seasons here I've seen the subtle nuances of mountain weather and the various micro-climates that exist due to the dramatic differences in terrain, and I've learnt that you can't really rely on any forecast more than a couple of days out, and even then they too come the hour can be dramatically different.

So the best strategy is to look at a number of sites, and then nearer the time look out of the window Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 31-01-22 19:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wx-charts.com has a ton of models
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam wrote:
@Onnem, The thing is watching & interpreting Atlantic depressions and subsequent fronts and how they track up the Channel delivering potential wind is relatively straightforward compared to forecasting weather in the mountains. Laughing

The thing is, I'm not do much interested in forecast for the next week. Wepowder, my countryman Meteomorris does a fine job in explaining developments.

I want to be able to find developments of pressure patterns in the longer term (10-20 days out) with main run and variants. Probable routes depressions.

And most of all. When is that mother-€#@* of a blocking high pressure over Biscaya going to crumble Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=euro&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prec&HH=3&ZOOM=0&WMO=&ARCHIV=0&LOOP=1&RES=0
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Onnem,
Quote:
I want to be able to find developments of pressure patterns in the longer term

Sounds like https://www.wetterzentrale.de/ is what you're after Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@red 27

That pressure run you post is terrific, as a visual. Thanks you *3 !

Not top enthousiastic about the pack of precipitation, but you cant help that Eh oh!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Onnem, HTH

My real name is Piers Corbyn - please subscribe to my YouTube channel wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Funny that.
Being a cheesehead, I had never heard of Piers. Now I Googled the name Puzzled

You Brits are lucky. We have Thierry Bidet and William Devilsangel spoo
snow report