Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Losing weight for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve always been very overweight, last I went skiing 5 years ago I was about 120-130kg. Yeah I know very very overweight. I’m female too. After a mental breakdown 3.5 years ago, I was put on a medication that made me gain about 50kg. Up to 176kg. I was so ill I didn’t even notice I was gaining weight. I gained that in 6 months, and to make matters worse the med did nothing else.

Anyway I’m now in a much better place, still not back to where I was but what can you do.

Since July last year I have lost 17kg. I really want to go skiing but nowhere near fit enough, I’m hoping for next year, if I can lose enough weight.

I need to put more effort in losing weight this year, last year I hardly put any effort in, apart from going to the gym 4 times a week.

According to the gym scales I’m gaining muscle which is good.

But I’m only just now starting to notice a difference in my clothes, my gym clothes are starting to be loose. And I’m now in a size 26 rather than a very tight 32.

I’m just so excited about the prospect of going skiing again.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Skioilers, good luck! I have gained weight during changes of life style and injury in the past, where I have failed to reduce what I ate to offset my reduction in activity. Resuming previously levels of activities although got me fitted did not reduce my weight. I had to change my diet to do this.

The two methods I found which helped me loose weight were Atkins and 5:2. The second I have found far more sustainable in the long run. I think it has now been about 8yrs and still follow it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NickyJ wrote:
@Skioilers, good luck! I have gained weight during changes of life style and injury in the past, where I have failed to reduce what I ate to offset my reduction in activity. Resuming previously levels of activities although got me fitted did not reduce my weight. I had to change my diet to do this.

The two methods I found which helped me loose weight were Atkins and 5:2. The second I have found far more sustainable in the long run. I think it has now been about 8yrs and still follow it.

Thank you.

I’m just eating less crisps and chocolate than I used to, I used to eat lots lol. I’m not hungry and I’m doing a sustainable life style change so I’m happy. I don’t even count calories. If plateau i will count calories and reevaluate but until then I’m good where I am I think.

I’ve tried 5:2 in the past unsuccessfully lol, all diets I’ve been unsuccessful at, this is the only time I’ve been successful. Go me lol.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Skioilers, well done that what you are doing is working. From when I started 5:2 I did find my weight loss used to plateau on occasions for a few weeks and then started dropping again. So don't let that put you off. The trick really is to find what works for you personally
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Skioilers, everyone I know who has read and implemented the basic principles of this approach has lost fat, gained lean muscle mass, become healthier. Very simple easily understood rules. See how it compliments what you are doing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We’ll done on your progress so far. A few years ago I reached 100kg and realised I needed to do something. I did the BBC Couch to 5k programme. You can start very gently. I eventually got up to running 10k. I lost 30kg, with no real change to my diet (or beer intake). I now do C25K every spring, which trims off the excesses of a winter season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Skioilers, Really pleased that you are doing well but don't put off going skiing. Go this year, enjoy being in the mountains, ski as much as you are able and enjoy. Don't worry about not being fit to ski it's definitely possible to ski and enjoy it while not being fit. I'm overweight, not fit, old and thoroughly enjoy skiing, It's the only exercise I get. Very Happy

Normally on ski holidays (bashes excepted) I will lose weight, I don't eat any more than normal and don't drink much (bashes excepted).

Don't put it off. It will set a level for you and then you can use that to help reinforce your resolve to be fitter and better.

On a different issue I used to be seriously overweight and a heavy smoker and tried unsuccessfully many times to "give it up", a negative goal implying losing not winning. It was only when I changed my goal to the positive of "wanting to be a non-smoker" that I eventually succeeded. In the same way "wanting to lose weight" can sound negative with the word lose in it. Changing your goal to wanting something you consider positive may help you achieve your goal.

Or I could be talking complete rubbish, either way I wish you well in achieving your targets.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HammondR, oops, after a few ales I forgot about the link! https://www.marksdailyapple.com/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiing's supposed to be great exercise right? I never notice though, having too much fun to feel like exercise. Point being, don't wait to go, have fun.

Good luck, I lost 2 stone through calorie counting with my fitness pal - I wish this thing existed years ago!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cutting crisps is cutting carbs
cutting chocolate is cutting sugar
Keep a diary & see if there are other carbs & sugar you can cut.
Get your body burning stored energy (ie fat) & not live on the instant energy from Sugar & Carbs.

There are lots of variations of diets as well.
What works for me is Keto fasting. I eat lunch around 12:30 & dinner at around 6:30. So I fast for at least 12 hours a day (weekends I tend to have breakfast & if hunger hits during the week, then I will eat something like a babybell slowly). I also monitor my GKI to make sure I am in ketosis & I usually have a GKI of under 3.
It also alcohol friendly if needs must for a small tipple! but obvious has an effect on weight loss as it is empty calories being consumed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bobcat wrote:

Good luck, I lost 2 stone through calorie counting with my fitness pal - I wish this thing existed years ago!

Another MFP fan here. I shed 13kg “just” through monitoring intake vs output and have kept it off for over 5 years. Even now I use it to log my intake (and FitBit tells me what I’ve burned), once you get used to logging it really does take less than 5 min a day. UNLESS you get sucked into the forums… but I still spend more time browsing here!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The hardest part of weight loss is accepting it will take time. (Usually the only way people rapidly gain or lose weight is medical (whether illness or side effect of treatments))

Generally the rule is 0.5-1kg/week at most (which fits what you have said). Any more than this is usually very difficult if not dangerous because you generally won't eat enough vitamins etc (without very careful monitoring - i.e. medically proscribed diet followed exactly)

You also need the changes to be things that you can keep up indefinitely - i.e. a diet should primarily be lifestyle changes; plenty of good suggestions here (and elsewhere online - MfP can be very useful for finding out what you can cut/replace to lose more weight) if what you are currently doing stops working/plateau's.

Imho exercise while useful for dieting should be being done on its own merits - find something you enjoy (or find something you can tolerate over summer so that you can enjoy skiing more in winter snowHead )

With regards to going skiing, I have skied at 130kg (comfortably obese) - the biggest issue wasn't weight but fitness; this also applied to people considerably lighter than me who might have looked fitter, but last did any exercise a year before... So I would be basing any decision on how the gym sessions are going, not weight (plus it is always nice to be in the mountains)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
qwerty360 wrote:
The hardest part of weight loss is accepting it will take time.

True. But just as hard is resisting the voices.
They whisper siren-like, so gentle, so convincing . . .
"A few crisps won't matter"
"That was a good walk - you could reward yourself with some chocolate"
"Its just hobnob . . ."
And the only way to take away the temptation is to stop buying biscuits, crisps and chocolate.
If they are in the house, you will eat them
(the comment by skoliers "I’m just eating less crisps and chocolate than I used to" suggests they are still in the house)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think like most people I find dieting (and calorie counting) really hard and annoying. I also (hate to say it) don't think you can affect your weight much if you only focus on exercise - though of course that's very important for general health!

Someone pointed me in the direction of what I think was called the "No S" diet. There's a book and a website but it's literally just 4 habit changes:

No Snacks
No Sweets
No Seconds
Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"

They elaborate the rules a bit - no seconds means portion control - but you don't need to read all the supporting information. So you can eat out, eat with your family, eat all meals - all the things that make diets impossible to stick to.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
qwerty360 wrote:

Generally the rule is 0.5-1kg/week at most (which fits what you have said). Any more than this is usually very difficult if not dangerous because you generally won't eat enough vitamins etc (without very careful monitoring - i.e. medically proscribed diet followed exactly)

That is old skool thinking.
In this day & age it is very easy to dial in your macros & tailor your intake to ensure you have enough nutrients & vitamins without under eating / not eating enough calories.

I meal plan & I dont shop for anything not on my plan. If I dont have comfort foods the I cant eat comfort foods.
latest report
qwerty360 wrote:
The hardest part of weight loss is accepting it will take time. (Usually the only way people rapidly gain or lose weight is medical (whether illness or side effect of treatments))

You also need the changes to be things that you can keep up indefinitely - i.e. a diet should primarily be lifestyle changes; plenty of good suggestions here (and elsewhere online - MfP can be very useful for finding out what you can cut/replace to lose more weight) if what you are currently doing stops working/plateau's.

Imho exercise while useful for dieting should be being done on its own merits - find something you enjoy (or find something you can tolerate over summer so that you can enjoy skiing more in winter snowHead )

With regards to going skiing, I have skied at 130kg (comfortably obese) - the biggest issue wasn't weight but fitness; this also applied to people considerably lighter than me who might have looked fitter, but last did any exercise a year before... So I would be basing any decision on how the gym sessions are going, not weight (plus it is always nice to be in the mountains)

I’m loving the gym , my personal trainer is brilliant.

I’m definitely going skiing next year, I can always buy new jacket and salopettes if my old ones don’t fit,
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
qwerty360 wrote:
The hardest part of weight loss is accepting it will take time.

True. But just as hard is resisting the voices.
They whisper siren-like, so gentle, so convincing . . .
"A few crisps won't matter"
"That was a good walk - you could reward yourself with some chocolate"
"Its just hobnob . . ."
And the only way to take away the temptation is to stop buying biscuits, crisps and chocolate.
If they are in the house, you will eat them
(the comment by skoliers "I’m just eating less crisps and chocolate than I used to" suggests they are still in the house)

When I say I’m eating less crisps I’ve gone from eating 6-12 bags a day (the medication made me so hungry and I comfort eat so it was an awful combination), to eating about 3 a week. And I’ve had two pieces of chocolate about half the size of a strawberry (they were strawberry shaped posh chocolates lol).
ski holidays
Quote:

cutting crisps is cutting carbs
cutting chocolate is cutting sugar
Keep a diary & see if there are other carbs & sugar you can cut.
Get your body burning stored energy (ie fat) & not live on the instant energy from Sugar & Carbs.

Crisps and chocolate are high in both fat and carbs/sugar. There is no reason to demonise carbs and even sugar. Eating fruit for example is perfectly fine as part of a healthy diet. All that matters for losing weight is kcal intake is below kcal expenditure. For some people cutting carbs is an easy way to do that, but it's not necessary and in extreme cases not healthy - look at effects of keto diet on resting glucose and SHBG.

Quote:

1kg per week loss is about 1000kcal deficit per day. I don't think more than that is too sustainable for most people, hence why it's suggested. Also rapid weight loss can mean bigger percentage of muscle loss than gradual. It's not really to do with vitamins and minerals which can easily be supplemented anyway with a multivitamin tablet.
latest report
Quote:

If I dont have comfort foods the I cant eat comfort foods.

This fundamental truth is so often overlooked.

People look for some magic formula but there's no escape from the "eat less, move more". The "cutting carbs" mantra needs careful examination. ESPECIALLY if people forget that sugar is not only carbohydrate, is the most damaging, least nutritious, form of carbohydrate and tends to stimulate the appetite, rather than fill you up.

If you cut out pasta and potatoes and bread but still eat more calories than you use up, you'll get fatter and fatter and fatter. Whilst feeling hungry much of the time!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

People look for some magic formula but there's no escape from the "eat less, move more". The "cutting carbs" mantra needs careful examination. ESPECIALLY if people forget that sugar is not only carbohydrate, is the most damaging, least nutritious, form of carbohydrate and tends to stimulate the appetite, rather than fill you up.

If you cut out pasta and potatoes and bread but still eat more calories than you use up, you'll get fatter and fatter and fatter. Whilst feeling hungry much of the time!

I have found cutting carbs helps me, but mainly because a large chunk of the unhealthy snacks I (used to over) eat are high in carbs, combined with bad portion control on other bits (e.g. bread, pasta), not because carbs are magically evil. (i.e. the 'high carb' items are good targets to weigh to make sure portion sizes are realistic)

Generally for several items my guesses at a portion is 2-3x what it actually is and once I serve something it will usually be eaten; I would argue the "No Seconds" rule from @Soozm is for me at least totally wrong; I am far, far better serving much smaller portions initially, then going back for seconds AFTER a gap (10-15m + drink from finishing first serving - this is important, it can take time to realise you are actually full) if I am still hungry because this tends to control portions better.

I seriously doubt low carbs magically works without reducing calorie intake, its just one way of doing so that some people find works; Several people pushing low carbs would probably claim my diet is far, far from low carb (quick google + partial calorie counting with MyFitnessPal suggests I still eat 2-4x the carbs suggested by a lot of the carb cutting diets), but I doubt I could keep up current exercise if I cut it further (at least not without a break to adapt (and then the difficulty of getting back into the habit)

Fairly sure one of the best purchases I have made for losing weight (living alone) is a 20cm frying pan, because I can't fit excess portions into it for cooking (even when cooking bigger batches, it limits some items being reheated so forces better splits for freezing)! One of these days I need to get some smaller plates (possibly also pasta bowls).

Other than that, self control while shopping is vital; Unhealthy snacks usually don't survive more than a few days (hours Embarassed) at home (even if the quantity should be a months worth at least...)
latest report
Quote:

I seriously doubt low carbs magically works without reducing calorie intake

There's plenty of studies looking at isocaloric diets - i.e. same total kcal but made up of different macronutrient ratios or using different timing (e.g. intermittent fasting). If the kcal are the same weight loss/gain is the same. Not surprising, you can't break the laws of thermodynamics. That doesn't mean that they are the same in regards to other things - for example higher protein tends to be more filling and lead to less muscle loss.

Cutting carbs does work for some people. But like you say it tends to be because they are removing obviously unhealthy food - sweets, biscuits etc. that are high in kcal. Porridge, fruit, brown rice etc. are all carbohydrates that there is no reason not to include in a healthy diet.
latest report
Quote:

for example higher protein tends to be more filling

and looking at carbohydrates, the high GI carbohydrates are generally more filling, and provide better nutrition, than low GI. For example, brown rice better than white rice. But white rice better than a big spoonful of mango chutney. wink
latest report
Well done for getting going, different things work for different people and you have got to find what works for you and motivates you. Personally I found that what worked for me was just eating three sensible meals a day with the odd handful of nuts or an apple as a snack if I really felt I needed it. I also cut out some alcohol but not completely. Don't be too hard on yourself if you have a lapse but go back to your regime afterwards. At the end of the day to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you consume so if you can exercise (just walking is great) whilst not eating more then that negative balance will be greater.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

for example higher protein tends to be more filling

and looking at carbohydrates, the high GI carbohydrates are generally more filling, and provide better nutrition, than low GI. For example, brown rice better than white rice. But white rice better than a big spoonful of mango chutney. wink

I believe it's that low GI are better than high GI - high GI tends to be white bread, non wholegrain pasta etc! Smile
latest report
Oh is it? Perhaps I got that the wrong way round - sorry!!
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

If you eat less of the same, then the weight loss is slower, as your body will try to reserve energy and metabolic rate slows to wait for next sugar or carb hit. This is what makes you lethargic on a diet, as you struggle to produce a constant flow of energy to your muscles.
By cutting carbs & sugar energy, you are switching your body to burn fat. Your body has a constant supply of accumulated fat, so it chugs away quite happily at a more normal metabolic rate. Even if calorie intake is lower, it is not waiting for more fuel, as it already burning the fuel from your intake of protein + fat & stored fat - so you are not losing lean mass (muscle) so does not slow down your metabolic rate.
snow report
Quote:

If you eat less of the same, then the weight loss is slower, as your body will try to reserve energy and metabolic rate slows to wait for next sugar or carb hit. This is what makes you lethargic on a diet, as you struggle to produce a constant flow of energy to your muscles.
By cutting carbs & sugar energy, you are switching your body to burn fat. Your body has a constant supply of accumulated fat, so it chugs away quite happily at a more normal metabolic rate. Even if calorie intake is lower, it is not waiting for more fuel, as it already burning the fuel from your intake of protein + fat & stored fat - so you are not losing lean mass (muscle) so does not slow down your metabolic rate.

Complete pseudoscience. Every isocaloric study shows it makes zero difference what macronutrient ratio you lose, total kcal intake and expenditure dictates fat loss. The idea that you can easily change metabolic rate through altering carb consumption is silly, in fact there are studies showing carb consumption and glycemic index don't change metabolic rate https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/oby.21268

When people stop eating carbs they usually see a quick initial drop in weight, this is mostly due to loss of muscle glycogen (each gram of glycogen binds to 3-4g water) so more "water weight" than fat loss. Unfortunately lack of muscle glycogen is terrible for exercise/sports performance. Long term very low carb leads to higher resting blood sugar levels, decreased metabolic flexibility (i.e. ability to process carbs), increased SHBG levels etc.

I guess all the science is wrong and we need to start shunning terrible high carb foods like fruit snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Complete pseudoscience

I did wonder. It's amazing what people will do to avoid having to face the fact that if calories in > calories out, they'll get fat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boarder2020,

Did I say eating carbs changes metabolic rate?
No - any changes in metabolic rate is more than likely down to protein intake / loss of lean muscle.
You do need to keep on top of your macros. Lots of people will say drop from eating 2400 calories a day to 2000, but when they lose weight, they do not adjust this intake to be lower to carry on losing weight. You dont stop eating carbs on keto - you just lower the intake, where Carbs is not the main & biggest source of your daily food intake.
When in Ketosis your body turns triglycerides & amino acids in to glycogen. You are burning fuel completely different to your description of burning fuel when not in ketosis - ie running on Carbs.

At the end of the day, I know what makes me put on weight. Beer, Bread, Pasta & Chips! I am not going to lose much weight if I stuck to only them 4 staples!
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Complete pseudoscience

I did wonder. It's amazing what people will do to avoid having to face the fact that if calories in > calories out, they'll get fat.

This thread is not about putting weight on (thats easy to do!) it is about taking it off.
Eating less than you used to, will only make you plateau if you dont monitor your weight & make adjustments. At some point you will have convinced yourself you are dieting, just because you are eating less than you remember pre diet - when in fact you are eating the right amount for your weight.

I plan about 2 weeks in advance. I currently plan for around 1600 per day. Which does give me room for some extras - this could be a mid morning nibble or a glass of wine or wee dram in the evenings.
As I get near my goal I may up this to 1800, then 2000 by the end of Feb.

Keto works for me, because I know my diet is carb heavy. You get used to swapping rice out for cauliflower & courgette spaghetti!
latest report
I got my dad into agreeing to go to glenshee at some point in the next couple months. We live about 1.5hours away.

I’ve ordered some hopefully suitable salopettes relatively inexpensively. And got my ski boots out the back of the cupboard, they still fit (despite not having worn them for 5 years, not that I expected them not to fit but yeah).

I’m super excited. I hope I’m fit enough.
snow report
Quote:

When in Ketosis your body turns triglycerides & amino acids in to glycogen. You are burning fuel completely different to your description of burning fuel when not in ketosis - ie running on Carbs.

Again pseudoscience.

The problem with your argument is twofold. Firstly, kcal are a measurement of energy and the law of thermodynamics applies, you can't magic some away. Secondly all the research supports the fact if you match total kcal people lose similar weight regardless of high or low carb diets:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109707032597

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1743-7075-3-7
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

Again pseudoscience.

The problem with your argument is twofold. Firstly, kcal are a measurement of energy and the law of thermodynamics applies, you can't magic some away. Secondly all the research supports the fact if you match total kcal people lose similar weight regardless of high or low carb diets:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109707032597

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1743-7075-3-7

Pointless throwing links up, as I can go find some to counter them. Put 20 people in a test & they are all going to have differnet results. Some it will for, others it wont.
It is about what works for the individual. I have tried lots things like moselys 800, kerridge dupamine, along with the usual calorie counting, etc. As I always look for a quick ‘fix’.
I only bother to lose weight when I have something coming up. IE a Ski Holiday or the run up to Xmas, etc.
My Diet is Carb heavy & that is why Keto works for me. Does not mean it will work for everyone.
However, if I lived on Keto diet, I doubt I would be able to eat enough to put on weight! I love mopping up stews with bread. Chips with everything. Beer with anything.
Lots of empty calories are carbs & sugars. Bag of crisps, chocolate bar as snacks - do you really need that slice or bread roll with your meal? Does anyone stick to portion size with pasta?
I can eat quite normal just by swapping out my carbs. I can get quite close to the same weight I was when I was more active playing sports.
ski holidays
Quote:

Pointless throwing links up, as I can go find some to counter them

Ok show me a study where isocaloric diets produce significantly different amounts of weight loss.

Quote:

Put 20 people in a test & they are all going to have differnet results.

Not for weight loss/gain they won't. Not if done properly i.e. accurately measure BMR and accurately measure and control kcal intake. You seem to not be willing to accept kcal is a scientific measure of energy.

It's great that you have found something that works for you. I don't doubt that cutting carbs is a strategy that works for many trying to lose weight. But for each one of them there is someone that swears by low fat, or intermittent fasting, or going plant based. There is no secret, these diets all potentially work by reducing kcal intake. It just frustrates me when you talk about these great things about low carb diets that simply have no scientific base or support.

Quote:

Lots of empty calories are carbs & sugars. Bag of crisps, chocolate bar as snacks - do you really need that slice or bread roll with your meal? Does anyone stick to portion size with pasta?

Most crisps contain more kcal from fat than carbs - remember each g fat contains 9kcal whereas each g carbs contain only 4. Again you are picking high kcal food, I could just as easily say similar about low carb high kcal food - does anyone stick to portion sizes with cheese?

Let's not ignore there are plenty of highly nutritious foods that are high in sugar e.g. fruit is full of vitamins and fibre. There are also plenty of low kcal carbohydrate options, for example porridge and rice. Actually some of the countries with the lowest obesity rates have the highest per capita consumption of white rice (just a correlation).

Quote:

However, if I lived on Keto diet, I doubt I would be able to eat enough to put on weight!

Funnily enough there is some people that have adopted a carnivore diet eating only red meat and they say this exact thing. They are probably right. Doesn't mean it's optimum for health. I'm pretty sure most people could have unlimited porridge and not overconsume. It's not a carbs Vs no carbs thing it's finding foods that are low kcal and filling.
snow report
Skioilers wrote:
I got my dad into agreeing to go to glenshee at some point in the next couple months. We live about 1.5hours away.

I’ve ordered some hopefully suitable salopettes relatively inexpensively. And got my ski boots out the back of the cupboard, they still fit (despite not having worn them for 5 years, not that I expected them not to fit but yeah).

Skiing for pleasure is a totally open ended sport and it has no expectations. One thing all of us casual pleasure only skiers have in common with the best world cup skiers is that we all get an adrenalin "buzz" from it. Because the World Cup skiers are so good they have to go faster and steeper than us to get their buzz. Just go skiing, take the pleasure from being in the mountains and be glad to be a "downhill only" skier. Do what you want to, stop when you've had enough. Once you get back into it, you will regain muscle memory, everything will get easier.
The way to stop getting tired on skis is not necessarily to get fitter or lose weight, far better to improve your technique. Obviously these factors all interact but 20 years ago when I was a heavy smoker and 130 kgs I would have to stop at least once down every run and only manage to ski half the day. Now at nearly 70, non smoker and 100kgs I can ski all day. For me the main difference is firstly technique, I have improved tremendously because of lessons. Secondly stopping smoking was key to giving me extra energy. Losing weight has had the least effect on my skiing.

My personal view is that the better technically that I am the less effort it will take so that I can ski longer than I otherwise would.

Please ignore me if you think I'm talking rubbish
snow report
@Timc,
Quote:

My personal view is that the better technically that I am the less effort it will take so that I can ski longer than I otherwise would.

My own experience bears this out. I am old and a bit fat, but I don't get nearly as tired skiing as I used to when I was much younger, but employed brute force rather than technique to make my turns. This is why I keep on taking lessons, both in the mountains and at Hemel.
snow report
Skioilers wrote:

Enjoy!! snowHead snowHead

Given going to the gym several times a week I would expect you to be easily fit enough to go skiing;

You are there to have fun, so do as much or as little as you like.

If anything I enjoy skiing more now I don't try to ski every possible minute of a trip so get less tired and ski better later in the day/week.
ski holidays
I have said this before but what worked for me was giving up sugar and sugary foods. Six years ago I clicked on a do this one simple thing to lose weight click bait links. It suggested giving up sugary foods. At the time I didn't think I was eating too many of them but looking back I was adding in a lot of empty calories to my diet with Swiss late at night sugary cereals for breakfast etc.
So I did and over nine months I lost 20kg+ (down from 95kg at 173 cm) without any other changes to my diet or exercise. The interesting thing was I lost fitness which is unsurprising considering I was no longer carrying a suitcase around with me all the time so I started going to the gym to regain my fitness.
Since then I have stayed pretty much the same weight I don't calorie count (and never did for all my weight loss) and apart from sugary foods I eat what I like. My appetite seems to be well regulated to my activity so during the lockdowns when I was not exercising as much it went down and my weight started the same. For me this works, it won't suit most people but I can genuinely say I don't miss sugary foods.
snow report
Well we booked glenshee for Monday. It’s looking okay in the morning.
snow report
So I wen5 skiing, my weight was not an issue, turns out I’m much fitter than I used to be thanks to how much I go to the gym. The boots however, I don’t know whether my feet are fatter or I’m just not used to the super feet but my feet were in agony. So I gave up after 5 runs. Sorting boots out before next winter, my dad suggested getting strolz, I have very high volume feet and calves so boots are always awkward. And they are my own boots.

Also I fell over whilst taking my skis off and hurt my arm, just minorly but it hurts, so my gym session today had to be changed a bit as I couldn’t do everything.

I’m happy with what I did (apart from the fallling over part lol). Onwards to next winter.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy