Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing at Lofer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday I had an enjoyable day skiing with friends on the Loferer Alm. It was a true bluebird day with blue skies and sun. Here’s a photo taken at the top of the Schwarzeck chairlift, looking over towards the Steinplatte ski area…

There was also a little fresh snow as it had snowed overnight. Being a "gap day" between Thursday's public holiday and the weekend, there were many skiers on the slopes. This aggravated our only real problem during the day: after queuing for the gondola up from Lofer village, our season passes were not accepted. We all had Salzburg Super Ski Cards which should cover Lofer and had already been accepted in several other ski areas. The problem was due to missing Covid clearance, caused by Lofer using the Axess ski card system rather then the more widespread SkiData version. This led to some toing and froing but in the end with help from the lift operators we were able to have our greenpass status added to the cards, so that they were accepted in Lofer too. This involved a machine which was at the left-hand end of the ticket office windows (as you queued). It read the season pass and then also the greenpass Covid status and then validated the pass. After that the ticket worked on every Lofer lift. I trust it is still valid in other SkiData based areas too. This guddle meant that and the initial queuing meant that it took us about an hour to reach the Loferer Alm snows.

That problem solved, we went on to enjoy the day. The only lift that had bothersome queues was the Family Express chair; elsewhere the queues weren't too long. The only other negative aspect was that the Grubhörndl T-bar wasn't running and piste 9 linking into the runs down from the Grubhörndl was also closed. The snow was generally good, though with icy patches (often resulting from piste basher work). There is, however, not yet cover in any great depth, so that odd tuffets showed through here and there.

We lunched well at the Schönblick hut which was surprisingly empty given the number of skiers around. After that we skied down to the valley where the gondola queues were smaller. Here’s a photo taken near the Hasenstall kiosk just above the gondola middle station…

Even skiing down again later on the run wasn't as busy as I had feared. All in all a good ski day.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks lovely. Stayed in Lofer back in the summer of 1988 for a geography field trip, really opened my eyes to mountains, glaciers and stroh rum.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy