Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best option for adult lessons in Morzine, with a child that can already ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Odd one but...

Heading out to Morzine near the end of the year. I can snowboard, although haven't touched one for probably 10 years but I fancy skiing now. Wife can't ski at all. Son can ski well but isn't old enough to be let loose on the slopes himself.

My intention was to get a few ski lessons before heading out but a minor surgery ruined that idea as it will just have finished healing by the time we fly.

Is there an option anyone can think of that won't have my son (he's 11 btw) bored out of his mind? I'm guessing the likes of ESF would want to put him in lessons too, even though he can already ski?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If he has his Etoile D'or then he could maybe go do the Team Rider thing with ESF. Alternatively, maybe roll back the idea of skiing and pickup the board again and ride with Jnr while I assume your wife takes a beginner course. 10 years will take you about a morning to get back into the habit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
damanpunk wrote:

Is there an option anyone can think of that won't have my son (he's 11 btw) bored out of his mind? I'm guessing the likes of ESF would want to put him in lessons too, even though he can already ski?

Not quite sure I understand this. It's not the Ski School who'd be putting him in lessons, but you (or him). Are you suggesting that he skis so well he doesn't need lessons any more and are therefore looking for an alternative? Higher level kids groups will do a lot of fun skiing around the mountain; he'll be with kids of a similar age and ski level; there should be no risk of him getting bored at all.

Whether ESF is the best option, or one of the many British ski schools operating in Morzine, is another question altogether. I don't know the Morzine guys, so will not comment specifically, but it seems to have been perceived wisdom ever since I've been skiing that ESF is not always the best.

As for you, I'd definitely recommend going with one of the Brit schools. Learning as an adult is completely different and they will almost certainly have more and better experience thereof than their French counterparts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
11 year old UK based kid that is too good a skier to benefit from ski school? Seems very unlikely to me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I looked at the ESF site it looked like you have to progress through each group from beginner to gain certificates first? Although the 'espace liberte' doesn't mention anything so might work.

He's been (mostly dry slope) ski racing for 6 years now, so was just meaning he's not a complete beginner like us. A higher level kids group is exactly what we'd be looking for, as it's mainly a holiday for him to enjoy Laughing

I'll have a rake around the Morzine facebook groups to see if there's any other non ESF options

Thanks!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
damanpunk wrote:
When I looked at the ESF site it looked like you have to progress through each group from beginner to gain certificates first?

No. There is no such requirement. The grades are used to help the student see their progression from one year to the next, and to help the Ski School know what group to put people in, but are in no way required.

Without previous certificates, you give them your best description of your son's level, they put him in a group based on that. If your description isn't accurate (quite likely from a non skier) then they'll quickly move him into a more appropriate group.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 13-12-22 12:47; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Higher level kids groups will do a lot of fun skiing around the mountain; he'll be with kids of a similar age and ski level; there should be no risk of him getting bored at all.

This. Best phone and speak to ski schools, though the ESF groups for older, more able, kids usually seem to be having lots of fun. They are sometimes less comfortable environments for littlies who are used to more "molly coddling" than some ESF instructors provide. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's excellent, thank you! gives me something to go on Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
damanpunk wrote:
I'll have a rake around the Morzine facebook groups to see if there's any other non ESF options

There are many, yes. I'm sure you'll get some recommendations here as well.``
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ESF is not a ski school and Jaws is not about a shark.
ESF is an umbrella organisation providing consistent branding and approach.
ESF ski schools are independent workers co-operatives, the tone of each is set by the director who is elected by the members.
Thats why its a bit strange to say ESF this or ESF the other, as they're all different schools.
Our experience of ESF in Avoriaz, Chatel and St Jean is that students (including children) do get put in groups appropriate for their skiing level. French language groups tend to have better skiers, so if little Johnny is way better than all the others he can go in with the French and Belgian (and better Dutch) children, which would provide an opportunity to improve his French as will as his skiing. Perfect eh?
I have read in some places that some people believe ESF (whoever they may be) might not be receptive to children's emotional needs in the same way as XYZ ski school.
News just in is that they're here to teach skiing and snowboarding.
That would be the parents job to make sure that their children are emotionally equipped to deal with separation, or not being told they're the best every 10 minutes.
(as left field as it might sound, some kids might prefer to be away from their parents fore a couple of hours).
If you let your kids walk home from school with other kids, why not let them ski with other kids?
We've also used Mint, Switch5, ESI, & BASS, all of whom have also been first rate.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@damanpunk, is your wife looking for complete beginner ski lessons? Would be useful to have them both with the same ski school and starting and finishing lessons at the same time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OuatteDePhoque wrote:

I have read in some places that some people believe ESF (whoever they may be) might not be receptive to children's emotional needs in the same way as XYZ ski school.
News just in is that they're here to teach skiing and snowboarding.
That would be the parents job to make sure that their children are emotionally equipped to deal with separation, or not being told they're the best every 10 minutes.

Indeed. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I once had lessons with an American ski instructor who kept telling me I was "awesome". Got right on my tits.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy