Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

85-95mm light (1200g?) touring ski recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Blizzard Zero G 95: Anyone skied these? Seems they are stiff and light. New version has a bit more rocker to make them a bit more accessible, although still looks minimal to me?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-01-22 17:36; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just buy them, you know you need another pair of skis!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That said, the problem of having too many touring skis is which ones to take on any given day......
Which is why I only have 2 pairs, one if I'm thinking powder or crud/crust (Wailer 112) and one for guaranteed (?) spring/corn snow, or if it's going to be a real long day, 1000 or + (Superguide 105)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
Anyone skied these? Seems they are stiff and light. New version has a bit more rocker to make them a bit more accessible, although still looks minimal to me?

My mate absolutely loves them : but only in firm or spring conditions.

The problem with stiff and light is they get deflected in choppy or soft snow. For soft snow he prefers Salomon MTN explore. There is school of thought that making light skis that are (too) stiff not always a good thing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@KenX, @Haggis_Trap, would be for the Patrouille des Glaciers so light is important but don’t want some 800g noodles. These look like they could double for a long day / mixed snow tour. The DPS Pagoda Tour 112’s I got are fabulous for pow touring so soft snow performance not a priority.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH,

Probably not much use, but I skied the Zero G 85’s for about four seasons. Great in hard snow/ice and pretty good in powder but not ideal in anything else. I think the 95 has a similar rep. I switched to the Volkl Rise above 88’s which I love and are a similar weight to the Zero G 95’s. They ski brilliantly in everything. I am a bit of a Volkl fanboy though.

Having said that, I think both skis are too heavy for the PDG but then we are all different Eh oh!

Cheers
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As an aside, I’m planning on entering the Skimara at the end of March so am also looking for a skiable but light race ski. If you come across anything that’s not a piece of racing spaghetti but comes in at less than 1kg a ski I’d be interested.

I’m guessing the PDG is timed in the descent?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zzz wrote:
@BobinCH,

Probably not much use, but I skied the Zero G 85’s for about four seasons. Great in hard snow/ice and pretty good in powder but not ideal in anything else. I think the 95 has a similar rep. I switched to the Volkl Rise above 88’s which I love and are a similar weight to the Zero G 95’s. They ski brilliantly in everything. I am a bit of a Volkl fanboy though.

Having said that, I think both skis are too heavy for the PDG but then we are all different Eh oh!

Cheers

Ooh nice. Slightly shorter radius and a bit lighter. What length did you get? Thanks!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m on the 170’s. I’m 175cm and 63-65kg. They seemed a bit short when I first bought them but I wouldn’t go any longer now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
@KenX, @Haggis_Trap, would be for the Patrouille des Glaciers so light is important but don’t want some 800g noodles.

I hear you!

I reckon zero-g would be great light touring ski (for a spring haute route). For PDG I might be tempted to rent / buy / borrow some proper "misery sticks". Though if going full rando man then 1kg boots would be essential. Ski-mo not my area of expertise - bon chance!

Fwiw : The PDG finish line was outside my front door when I lived in Verbier. Back then a few tail-enders still raced on fritschi bindings! Swiss army also played hide and seek with my car and relocated it from finish zone to a secret location up by the swimming pool for me to find.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zzz wrote:
I’m on the 170’s. I’m 175cm and 63-65kg. They seemed a bit short when I first bought them but I wouldn’t go any longer now.

Ok i guess I’d be 177 at 180cm and 85kg, maybe even 184 if they are easy skiing? Sound easier to ski than the Zero-G’s which is good and would be happy to return to Volkl skis having had a love-in with Kuro/Shiro range a few years back. I remember very well built and durable skis.

For your racing seems there is a carbon version « Rise High » that is even lighter although not quite 1000g
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/voelkl/rise-high-88.html

I’m only doing the short version so this is enough of a weight saving. Was planning to do it on the DPS Skis but they are a bit wide for the icy skin tracks on offer at 4am in April.

Did it in 6 hours on a much heavier setup a few years back.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
@KenX, @Haggis_Trap, would be for the Patrouille des Glaciers so light is important but don’t want some 800g noodles.

I hear you!

I reckon zero-g would be great light touring ski (for a spring haute route). For PDG I might be tempted to rent / buy / borrow some proper "misery sticks". Though if going full rando man then 1kg boots would be essential. Ski-mo not my area of expertise - bon chance!

I think that would be the way I would go for the PDG. Whenever I’ve been to watch it, conditions have been rock hard so having a decent more rounded touring ski would have been pointless.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I hear you!

Have my eyes on some Scarpa Alien RS at 920g. Local shop giving them away for 50% off as have one pair left in my size, the model having been replaced by the F1 LT. My training buddies won’t know what hit them Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toofy Grin
BobinCH wrote:
zzz wrote:

Ok i guess I’d be 177 at 180cm and 85kg, maybe even 184 if they are easy skiing? Sound easier to ski than the Zero-G’s which is good and would be happy to return to Volkl skis having had a love-in with Kuro/Shiro range a few years back. I remember very well built and durable skis.

For your racing seems there is a carbon version « Rise High » that is even lighter although not quite 1000g
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/voelkl/rise-high-88.html

I’m only doing the short version so this is enough of a weight saving. Was planning to do it on the DPS Skis but they are a bit wide for the icy skin tracks on offer at 4am in April.

Did it in 6 hours on a much heavier setup a few years back.

They are an easy turning ski. Something to do with the triple side cut Toofy Grin , if you can believe the marketing hype.

Yep, tried the Rise High last season. I think it’s a rebrand of a previous ski and not so great to ski on tbh. I might try and borrow something racier and accept the messy ski down.

I hadn’t realised you’re doing the short one; totally understand where you’re coming from now. The Rise Above’s would be ideal but there’s a lot of competition in that size/weight area.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I hear you!

Have my eyes on some Scarpa Alien RS at 920g. Local shop giving them away for 50% off as have one pair left in my size, the model having been replaced by the F1 LT. My training buddies won’t know what hit them Toofy Grin

Buy them. Even if you only use them for charging up the piste or training and racing they’ll make a big difference….
ski holidays
zzz wrote:

Yep, tried the Rise High last season. I think it’s a rebrand of a previous ski and not so great to ski on tbh. I might try and borrow something racier and accept the messy ski down.

I hadn’t realised you’re doing the short one; totally understand where you’re coming from now. The Rise Above’s would be ideal but there’s a lot of competition in that size/weight area.

Cheers

I think those Rise Aboves in a 177 could be ideal. Any other contenders for the short list?
latest report
zzz wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I hear you!

Buy them. Even if you only use them for charging up the piste or training and racing they’ll make a big difference….

Yep that’s the thinking. Vowed not to chase the weight weenies but they got a great review on Blister as more than a Lycra companion from a reviewer I trust
https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/reviewer-reports-backcountry-ski-touring-gear-ep-176
ski holidays
Scott Speedguide 89 in 179cm - if you can find a pair.
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I hear you!

a great boot if the fits right !! all reviews say bag any of these u can while they are still about , as the new F1 LT is not as highly rated , cant say how good a sub 1k boot feels when pushing the pace
snow report
Dabber wrote:
......cant say how good a sub 1k boot feels when pushing the pace

Pretty shite I'd imagine Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Whitedot Ronde 96? There may also be some R.98 carbonlights still available?
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
Whitedot Ronde 96? There may also be some R.98 carbonlights still available?

The WD's are too heavy. The Ronde 96 is a pucka freeride tourer rather than the uber-light-shite-skiing-in-anything-other-than-perfect-snow class as in the 177cm length it's 1630g per ski. And the old R.98CL's sold out a couple years ago - although thinking about it I might still have a 167cm (1425g) at the right price wink
snow conditions
I don’t think I’d like to ski anything a lot lighter than my R.98s
latest report
On the rocks wrote:

Me neither
latest report
I despair Shocked
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

Me neither

Vivian Bruchez is skiing some of the hardest lines in the Alps on 1200g skis and seems to be having fun!
https://instagram.com/vivianbruchez?utm_medium=copy_link
ski holidays
Which bindings? Like the look for the ATK Kuluars at 250g with brakes and some security features. Assume if I ski DIN’s at 9/10 should get the 12 version with the 12 din u spring given the lateral release is 6-12?

https://mpora.com/skiing/atk-kuluar-12-lt-ski-touring-binding-2021-2022-review/
ski holidays
@BobinCH, He’s certainly taking advantage of the low swing weight on those jump turns!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH,

They look like a really nice binding. Personally I’d bin the brakes and save 50gms.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Vivian Bruchez is skiing some of the hardest lines in the Alps on 1200g skis and seems to be having fun!
https://instagram.com/vivianbruchez?utm_medium=copy_link

But he is just a bit good- it's he man not the machine- I guess he could ski amazing lines on just about anything.

I wonder what Comino etc skied Route Major on in 1979?
latest report
zzz wrote:
@BobinCH,

They look like a really nice binding. Personally I’d bin the brakes and save 50gms.

Probably makes sense!

A couple of strong recommendations for the Backland 100 from the local shops where I got the Alien RS. 1380g for the 180 so getting a bit heavier and wider. Or there’s a 95mm but feels stiffer.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
Dabber wrote:
......cant say how good a sub 1k boot feels when pushing the pace

Pretty shite I'd imagine Toofy Grin

ha ha , on the up that is Toofy Grin
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
zzz wrote:
@BobinCH,

Probably makes sense!

A couple of strong recommendations for the Backland 100 from the local shops where I got the Alien RS. 1380g for the 180 so getting a bit heavier and wider. Or there’s a 95mm but feels stiffer.

Sorry, I thought you were in a race rolling eyes
snow report
I used to ski my Superguide 88 far more than I do now, however simply because there is not too much difference in weight to both versions of the 105 that I have, though that is helped by having the Xenics over the Dynafiddles, they are nigh on redundant.

BobinCH wrote:
@KenX, @Haggis_Trap, would be for the Patrouille des Glaciers so light is important but don’t want some 800g noodles. These look like they could double for a long day / mixed snow tour. The DPS Pagoda Tour 112’s I got are fabulous for pow touring so soft snow performance not a priority.

So simple just lose some of that excess lard you're carrying Laughing
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
I used to ski my Superguide 88 far more than I do now, however simply because there is not too much difference in weight to both versions of the 105 that I have, though that is helped by having the Xenics over the Dynafiddles, they are nigh on redundant.

BobinCH wrote:

So simple just lose some of that excess lard you're carrying Laughing

I think I’ve found a free solution (and can keep the lard Very Happy )

New slippers BSL is 302. Wife’s speed tour 80’s are 293 and looks like there’s 10mm of play on the Crest 10’s. If it fits I have a pair of 170cm 1000g vert smashers mounted 5mm back from centre for some skinny Freeriding Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I think I would base ski selection nearer the event based on conditions/forecast, call me "old school" Laughing
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@BobinCH, I think I would base ski selection nearer the event based on conditions/forecast, call me "old school" Laughing

Ancient school non?
snow report
Laughing
ski holidays
With my faultless Snowheads tuned piste technique the 80mm speed machines should be a cinch snowHead snowHead
snow report
@zzz, finally bit the bullet snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy