Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowsport England

Poster: A snowHead
I have just been informed, out of the blue, that I am now a member of Snowsport England. This cannot have happened without Snowsport England having acquired my email address from somewhere. Has anyone else experienced this? I cannot get through to their website via Firefox, as the connection is apparently not secure. I will try telephoning them to find out where they got my email address, but am not optimistic of getting through, as there is a review on the site complaining that they do not answer their phone. All very odd.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hurtle, The website works fine for me with latest Firefox, is your copy a bit older? They answer email quickly if you try that, the address is on the homepage: info@snowsportengland.org.uk

The membership management system has been contracted out to a company that seems to handle this for multiple sports. It is the worst website that I have ever seen, I can't believe anyone would charge for something like that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs, thanks, I'll give it a whirl
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow Sport England are an absolute basket case. Mrs t_m was a member years ago. They still send her reminders to update Safeguarding, first aid etc despite the fact that she hasn’t had anything to do with them for ages. They are a governing body trying (and failing) to remain relevant.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hurtle, You are a member of SnowSport England through your membership of the Inside Out Ski Club which you recently renewed Smile.

Every Nov I need to update our membership list with them and pay our club fees. In previous years we gave them a list of names, gender and postcode and that was it. They recently put in a new membership system and now seem to need email address, DOB and physical address.

I just started the process of inputing our members into their new system and as one of our first members you were my guinea pig. I gave up after you as I don't keep peoples DOB and will be contacting them to see if we can opt out of giving them this info (I put a dummy DOB in for you to complete the input). They probably need DOB info for competitors to assure they are listed in the correct age groups for races but as a recreational, non-competing club we never have given this to them.

I was unaware that you would get an auto email from them but nothing untoward and you dont need to worry about data leaks or anything.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@skimottaret, not wishing to cause any trouble, but from a GDPR viewpoint when people sign up for the Inside Out Club do the T's and C's require them to agree to the sharing of their data with other third parties such as SSE? If so no problem, but if not you may be in breach of GDPR regs (but I am not a lawyer). Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink, thanks, reflects my initial thoughts, but I haven't had a chance to check all this out yet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, Yip our T'c & C's are clear on that.. https://www.insideoutskiing.com/info/legal.html if you are keen to have a read it is under Privacy Policy Smile

I have been in contact with SSE and are resolving data sharing with their new system
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
@Hurtle, You are a member of SnowSport England through your membership of the Inside Out Ski Club which you recently renewed Smile.

skimottaret wrote:

I gave up after you as I don't keep peoples DOB and will be contacting them to see if we can opt out of giving them this info (I put a dummy DOB in for you to complete the input).

So the important question now is whether @Hurtle is going to be offended or flattered (or just plain amused) by the fictional DOB you've given her. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
... Yip our T'c & C's are clear on that.. ...
Where, precisely? The "policy" looks like boiler plate and doesn't appear to cover this at all:
  • The "privacy policy" isn't directly linked from the sign-up page and is buried under the "info" menu. People signing up
    are unlikely to be aware of it.

• The policy reads like a cut-and-paste template and seems to be mostly irrelevant to the business - it's a "we run a website" policy, not
    a "we run a ski club" or "we run a training organisation" policy. It appears to have been written before current regulations.

• The sign-up for the club has no explicit opt-in to unsolicited third-party third party emails.

• If as stated Snowsport England doesn't need the data then taking it without explicit permission can't be legal and certainly
    does increase risk without benefit to the customer.

• It's not legal to charge for a Subject Access Request! That looks like an obsolete cut-and-paste job.

I'm on your side, but it's probably a good idea to fix that policy before someone who isn't reads it.

The ICO is very good on this stuff:
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skimottaret, I'm not a lawyer, but did you check Snowsports t&c's were compatible with yours before you passed this information on?

What guarantees do you have that they will not share your customer details with other 3rd parties in the future if their (current or future) t&c's allow it?

Such a scenario was one of the reasons for GDPR regulations.

If Snowsports have a legitimate reason for this information, it would be better (from a legal perspective?) if they requested it directly from members themselves, who can then choose to supply it or not.

Not all your members may be as understanding as @Hurtle. As a precaution, and to avoid unnecessary legal consequences, I would suggest that you request Snowsports delete all the additional information you supplied until the situation is clearer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimottaret, An email to your members, informing them of the situation, and inviting them to give consent could help clarify this and protect your legal situation.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimottaret, Out of curiosity are you using the Snowsport England club membership software or are you doing an extract from your own database?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After contacting SSE turns out they have not implemented the club member management portion of their new system software and have told me that as in previous years they will only need our members data on an excel spreadsheet, purely for insurance purposes should a member ever need to make a claim. This is all stored securely at their end.

We supply them with a list of names, gender and confirmation that each of our members are over 18 years old for Child welfare reasons. As we are affiliated with SSE, members are covered by public liability insurance when attending our events. We have also negotiated discounts at the snow centre and a few retailers.

Havent given out anyones crypto currency details Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skimottaret,
Quote:

After contacting SSE turns out they have not implemented the club member management portion of their new system software
They must have implemented something for me to have received an email!
Thanks for your phone message - can't speak, because I'm stuck at Moorfields with a flare-up of my eye problem. Sad
latest report
@Hurtle, sorry to hear. when you get a moment please ring me and I can explain the situation.

I wasn't clear in my last post. I meant to say that SSE have a member management area in their new system but turns out they aren't requiring clubs to utilise it just yet as they have more work to do to implement it fully. I had added you as a test case assuming we had to input all our members there but when I questioned the requirement for physical address and DOB with them they agreed that we will just supply a list of members as in previous years. In the meantime I have deleted your email address on their system. ps. I had ticked the "Please select which communications you would like to receive: Our Communications" as NO for you but I can only guess that they have an automated welcome to SSE type of message sent out...
latest report
@Hurtle, Since as a club member of an affiliated club to Snowsport England you are entitled to attend and vote at their AGM.
snow report
@skimottaret,
Quote:

I can explain the situation.

I listened to your voicemail, thanks. All is clear. I'd forgotten the insurance was arranged through them - long time since I looked at your Mem and Arts etc!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy