Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
DIY done, went for coffee, there were lots of bedraggled wet people about and then it warmed up and was actually raining at 2100m for a bit. A lot of the top lifts were closed and they were having real trouble risk from with the avalanche down in Boisses and Brev mid morning as it warmed up. You could only go down in the bubble from the top of the Boisse bubble. The temperature has dropped 6 degs in the last 2 hours and the wind is blowing like mad, warnings of the links closing abound. It is also snowing hard. I expect it will soon start settling on the road which will lead to transfer problems as tonight is going to be much colder and windier and we are due another 15-20cm of snow. So the Police will be out checking you have chains or snow tyres from early in the morning. By breakfast time the snowline will be below Bourg according to the avalanche bulletin (Risk 4 again).

The snow will vary in intensity through the night but the wind will continue to blow. So expect another early wake up call from the Pisteurs, I suspect it may be early to ensure the road is safe, indeed a road closure early doors to allow avalanche triggering would not surprise me. The snow will continue tomorrow, worse in the afternoon and the wind will be high again, so a progressive start and high lifts shut. The snow should stop just around lift closing time and the sun may pop out for a while before it dips below the mountain. After a cold night Sunday will be sunny all day, maybe a bit of high cloud, so there will be lots of people charging around off piste, potentially in a very dangerous situation. Monday will be the same, but a lot warmer. Tuesday will be warmer still with a few fluffy clouds, it will almost feel like summer.

For the travellers, after the heavy showers this evening in the UK there may be a few light showers in the morning as you queue for security, hopefully inside, over here will be fine for flying. With 23k cars heading our way and 19k leaving there shouldn't be any major traffic jams caused by the volume of traffic, but buffoonery is likely above Bourg.

Edit: The links and a lot more lifts closed about 30 mins early!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today was truly horrid . Eventually ventured up solaise around 10:30 with the vague hope that they might open the up and over lift and then some of the higher lifts on the glacier side . Only the glacier lift was open really on solaise so the pistes were packed, you couldn’t see anything , the snow was very heavy and although it was snowing it melted as soon as it hit you so we got soaked immediately.

Did one run and came back down!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same here. Went up Palafour at around 10:30 - every ski school in Tignes had the same idea. Mental. One run skis off headed for a coffee.

Serious question as one of th 19k coming off the mountain tomorrow - what time is a good time to leave? We had thought about 1pm, give the snow time to clear ( or the clearers time to clear it).

Also, coming out of the Le Bec Rouge car park onto Rue de la Poste. Is it better to fit chains in the car park and drive down the ramp or wait until we get to the road?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FrediKanoute wrote:

Also, coming out of the Le Bec Rouge car park onto Rue de la Poste. Is it better to fit chains in the car park and drive down the ramp or wait until we get to the road?

From experience, I would say it depends on the weather.

Having tried to put chains on in windy and snowy days - I can say that unless you have it off pat, I would do it in the car park. For one thing, your (gloved, I hope) hands will be warmer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@FrediKanoute, The pek traffic will be about 11am between Bourg and Moutoers, if you can wait (check out time, onward journey etc), I would leave Tignes mid morning by which time your chain question should be academic! If its still snowy on RdlP, move to the end of the Mad Max garage and put them on there. Concrete slopes (up or down) and chains don't mix.

It is now blowing an absolute gale and the snow is settling on all the roads
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We headed up and around the Bellevarde area this morning but after 4 runs returned home and even downloaded on the La Daille bubble for the first time as I was getting blown back up the hill. It was miserable.

Despite my many warnings our daughter got stuck in Tignes when the lifts shut early so my husband went over to collect her. The weather from the dam up to Lac was mostly in the rain clouds.

The majority of the Newcastle students have now left Tignes but are expecting another nightmare journey back to the UK.
A few of the uni trips due to arrive this weekend have been cancelled due to ferry problems.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocksaway wrote:
@FrediKanoute, The pek traffic will be about 11am between Bourg and Moutoers, if you can wait (check out time, onward journey etc), I would leave Tignes mid morning by which time your chain question should be academic! If its still snowy on RdlP, move to the end of the Mad Max garage and put them on there. Concrete slopes (up or down) and chains don't mix.

It is now blowing an absolute gale and the snow is settling on all the roads

Thanks for the advice. That flat spot at the end of the garage entrance looks perfect for a chain fitting. Aiming to leave around midday and by then as you say the road conditions will be a known!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Out of garage - put chains on in the ramp. K-Summit chains are easy to put on, though the self tensioning didn’t work real well so we ended up banging them into place and driving very very very very slowly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Strange old day, summed up by tantalising, but not quite delivering. It was a slow start as the place was made safe, and there were occasional glimpses of the sun and some decent tracks being made. So we went out mid morning and had to take a view on the avalanche risk, the visibility which was coming and going, and altitude, on high it was windy, down lower it was warmer. So we compromised on down to La Daille and went down the old favourite on a day like today under the Mont Blanc Chair. It was odd, even down there, there were pockets of wind smashed fresh snow, some times it was stripped back to the hard layers and there was also an evil crust that must have been caused by the top layer refreezing last night. So, it was tricky to say the least, but we were obviously on the right thought process, I pulled a Brit out of a large powdery hole he had made for himself, to find he was a client of Mountain Masters, so a quick catch up with R, who I first met on my first trip to Tignes, back in the day. After coffee at Rosies we decided to head back home as the sun had gone on strike, the La Daille Gondy was like a roller coaster, I think the wind was being funnelled by the La Daille gorge. It was now howling and snowing hard so discretion being the better...etc we downloaded in the Tov.

It has snowed quite hard this afternoon at times and the wind has being blowing hard, so the avalanche risk is 3 tomorrow, gusting 4 in places where the wind has been at its worst.

There was a brief respite which allowed me to go to the outdoor exhibition to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the waters starting to rise behind the Dam. There are some very poignant pictures and the story boards in English and French certainly stir the emotions. I bet some of the families would never have dreamed of becoming multi-millionaires, especially as most of them have now sold up as the third generation don't want the hassle of running hotels, bars, ski shops etc.

It will snow till late this evening and tomorrow spring returns, sunny all day and light winds, it will feel warm. But not as warm as Monday which will be scorchio, some clouds may develop in the afternoon. Tuesday will also be warm despite a thin layer of high cloud. Wednesday looks like being warm with fluffy clouds and sunny spells.

Travelling tomorrow should present no weather problems, it might be a bit hazy over here but hat should be gone by first landings.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, as the Tignards all trouped to the Mairie to exercise their democratic right, we were left with a bluebird day, sunshine all day but a chilly breeze at altitude. What a difference 12 hours makes, walking back from QDC last night in a gale to this!

Well it was probably the best day of the season for me, lots of fresh snow, which was quite powdery until the sun did its work. Most of it had arrived at speed so it was far from champagne but fab anyway. I did a quick run down Palafour to see what was going on and then did Naturide Epilobe which was in the sun and starting to settle, but given it was early doors Sunday they were fresh tracks!

I met up with a team and we did Familial, which was mixed depending on aspect, that crust was there again on western facing slopes, there must have been a hint of warmth last night. They then opened Col de Ves, but Palet was virtually untracked so it was 3 laps of that followed by the Grand Balme. The snow was great, the behaviour of some folks was unbelievable. Huge groups stood together, skiing down couloirs together and with no packs, lots of education needed.

It was then time for a CoCopizza to recharge the legs and set off up towards the Grande Motte. The Cable car and Leisse were closed because of 2 huge avalanches, one from just below the peak and another from the 'shoulder' half way down the steep bit of Descente where a huge cornice had developed, broken away, the debris field was half way down the Rosolin piste. Some work to do up there. The snow down the side of Genepy was wind affected (not surprising at 3000m) at least they hadn't softened and then refrozen as I suspect they will tonight - eek. It was then time to ski home for a siesta!

Tomorrow will be a lot warmer, 5 degs or so, and it will be sunny, perhaps the odd cloud in the afternoon and gentle breezes at altitude, one less layer to start I think. Tuesday will start sunny and warm but more cloud will build in the afternoon. Wednesday will be another warm one with sunny periods and maybe a light shower in the afternoon. Thursday willl be pretty cloudy and again the odd shower can't be ruled out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2 lucky escapes today - first an avalanche in Sachette, a guide had just about dug the uninjured victim out, when the pisteurs and dog arrived by helo very shortly after the shout. Secondly a child fell off the Palafour lift, according to local scuttle 2 kids under parental control set off on the chair alone and didn't pull the safety bar down. As they bumped over the first pylon one of them fell off onto the piste below, about a 6m drop. Again, the injuries were light.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, 6 METRE drop and only light injuries? Someone is very lucky! Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway wrote:
2 lucky escapes today - first an avalanche in Sachette, a guide had just about dug the uninjured victim out, when the pisteurs and dog arrived by helo very shortly after the shout. Secondly a child fell off the Palafour lift, according to local scuttle 2 kids under parental control set off on the chair alone and didn't pull the safety bar down. As they bumped over the first pylon one of them fell off onto the piste below, about a 6m drop. Again, the injuries were light.

Hmmm interesting.... if under 1.25m tall the liftie should have stopped them loading by themselves and if in doubt of their ability should have manually pushed the bar down anyway! Sounds like the liftie could be in some trouble for that one!

On the other point re avalanches - I said to Clares mum this am that today would be a day full of incidents - there were other incidents around the resort today thats for sure!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Steve Angus, Not sure on the 'mechanics of the incident' its such a short distance to the first pylon it would all happen in the blink of an eye.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway wrote:
@Steve Angus, Not sure on the 'mechanics of the incident' its such a short distance to the first pylon it would all happen in the blink of an eye.

When I have time ill tell you about some personal experience I had of a similar incident back in 2007! Blink of an eye stuff!
ski holidays
Interesting. Was our last day of our week in Tignes (and by far the best!). However, we saw more carnage in one day compared to the whole week!

Going up Palafour, we spotted a child's ski in the deep stuff but it was about half way up. Not sure if that's connected.
latest report
@kettonskimum, That ones been there about 4 days,, it appeared disappeared and then reappeared again!

So today's quiz question is: Why does the battery in your smoke detector decide it needs replacing at 5am? Of course I needed to get the step ladder to get high enough!

Well that's that for another, the ski clothes are dripping on the balcony, a days cleaning tomorrow followed by P&O roulette on Thursday!

The day started with blue skies and it was much warmer, but a thin layer of high cloud appeared mid morning and has now thickened a bit more, but there are still plenty of shadows out there. after a couple of on piste runs we did a couple of Col de Ves laps, some fresh tracks on slightly compacted snow on the northish faces. After coffee, we went up the Motte, the CC is still closed whilst they rearrange those big avalanches. The off piste up there is now much harder so back to the piste. It was then back for the big wash!

Tomorrow will be warmer still, there will be more cloud, we may only see the sun in the morning. Wednesday will be similar with sunny periods all day, however, a thin layer may appear at altitude to spoil this. Thursday and Friday will be mostly sunny and warm, just a few fluffy clouds now and again.

Back to the chores!
latest report
@chocksaway,
Thanks for another year of very informative postings. I hope to bump into you (not literally of course) one year, hopefully next! Have a safe trip back to Blighty.
snow report
@chocksaway, +1, thanks for taking the time to post, always informative, always entertaining. Safe trip and here's to 22/23 snowHead
snow report
Yeah really found your posts informative for a trip as someone unfamiliar with the area. Can read the weather patterns at my home mountain... but that is not tignes.
Thank you!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, well it’s a warm sun but a cold edge to the wind here in GOC. At least lambing has finished!

Safe journey- hope all the chores get done and your boat arrives for you!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Thanks for all the updates this year, nice to meet you in March.

Safe journey home, just arriving in time for the good weather too !
ski holidays
@chocksaway, Have a safe journey.

Our return trip on Saturday was fairly stress free. Fortunately our apartment building must have a deal with the snow clearing crews as they always send a snow blower into the driveway. It was pretty deep as it sits in a hollow and accumulates a lot of wind blown snow. After dropping a friend off at the station in Bourg we did queue for a while to get through the Tunnel du Siaix and decided to take the Grenoble loop to avoid Chambery. North for an overnight stay in Nancy, where we had a couple off fantastic steaks for dinner. Then on through Lux (cheaper diesel but not massively compared to French supermarket prices) then Belgium and Holland to catch our Sunday night Stena ferry.

Ideal scenario for us would be for Stena to start operating out of Hull to Rotterdam. Or even better, Zeebrugge.

Anyways, a great couple of weeks. A mixed bag of sunshine and lots of snow. Enjoyed meeting up with our ski buddies again after 2 years, and having the family in resort for the second week. A good time was had by all. Including a proposal (successful!) and an unscheduled helicopter ride out of Sache for one family member. Don't forget your Carte Neige folks!
ski holidays
@gixxerniknik, @moosepig, @fmd999, @lynnecha, @GreenDay, @GeorgeVII, Thanks to all. @GreenDay, Next time can we it without the hangover wink

Just in a lull of packing and cleaning. Its a warm day with thin cloud and its 15 degs on the balcony, the roads are awash.

I was just clearing the post box out of all the pizza shop fliers etc and came across a pamphlet "Lavacet Vision 2025". As most people will know there has been a big project planned for a while in Lavachet, but my understanding is that its on hold. Well this Vision appears to be a 'puff piece' on behalf of the developers, it details all the advantages which would be great, but there's no convincing diagram of the size and height of the new buildings which means most of Lavachet will lose their views. In the promises there will be a large beginners area from the top of the Rosset down to the Brasero and down the side of the tall tower bloc (Tour de Lac) with a couple of drag lifts (the road will be tunneled and redirected). There will also be a snow front to the back of what is the Hauts De Tov hotel (ex Mark Warner and Alpine Elements). There's a lot of guff about parking , geothermal energy etc, but one gets the sense that its all to serve the big hotels and apart hotels that are part of the project, there appears to be 6 or 7 large buildings of 7 or 8 stories, but no mention of how many rooms, undergound parking spaces etc. The new beginners area would be welcome but if the population of Lavachet is going to increase that much there will be no net gain to the resort as a whole. We'll see.

The next 3 days are going to be very warm with a mixture of high cloud and fluffy ones, so its really a case of looking out of the window. I can't rule out a shower tomorrow night which would be rain at resort level, so maybe better without! By Saturday it will be sunny.
ski holidays
@chocksaway,
Any interweb link so the rest of us can view the 'vision'?
snow report
Kenzie

Not sure if this will work .

https://fr.calameo.com/read/007021618a661ebfe653d
snow conditions
@chocksaway, thanks for all the updates over the season, the resort info is as always really useful. Hope to be back in Tignes for the PSB again in December
snow conditions
chocksaway - have a good 'off season'
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a quick question for the experts as it's not totally clear from the piste map. The Génépy run, it stops at the bottom of the Fontaine Froide chair doesn't it?
snow conditions
It’s been scorching today, home runs are very, very messy
ski holidays
@swskier, there are two genepy runs (one in Tignes and one in Val) the one in Val does indeed end at the Fontaine lift. After that it is Santons or the Epaule.
ski holidays
@Ski lots, so there is, just seen that on the map! Thanks for the reply, just found a video on YouTube that shows the run as well, so answered my own question.

Just planning for the weekend, with the hope the sister in law can get up away from the free beginner slopes in Tignes.
ski holidays
Make sure the FF lift is running before you set off. The top of the run can also be off putting. Make sure you go straight on to the road like piste rather than the green mogul run to the left. There is also the issue of getting back - down the vert, not the easiest green by the Follie to Tommeuse then download on the bubble.
latest report
If for some reason heading to FF and the Genepy doesn't appeal then the Borsat green back to the Borsat lift / Marmottes resto or onwards towards the folie and thereafter 'home' is a great green too... but carry a wee speed at the end as it can get flat as you approach the last descent to the Marmottes resto. However also be aware that the blue to get to the Borsat coming from Tignes side is a nightmare so (as much as a faff as it is) the Edelweiss piste from top of Toviere and then the Carpe Diem carpet and then finally Borsat lift is a better 'blue but nice' route to get towards the Borsat lift FYI
snow report
@Ski lots, @Steve Angus, thanks both for the info.

We're staying in Le Lavachet, and if we do make it up the mountain, we'll take the bus round to Val Claret, and straight on to Fresse to the Borsat lift.

Going home, we'll go down to Tommeuses and then download on Toviere, think that route then gives us a possibility of a Folie Douche pit stop?

Plan is hopefully to make it up, and then lap around Borsat, Marmottes, Grand Pré and Fontaine Froide, but will see how we get on over the first 2 days.
latest report
Hello. Sorry this probably not correct forum. At Medical Centre in Val D’Isere cos friends 10 year old had a fall. What is the best way to get back to Val Claret since daughter is a little shook up and doesn’t want to ski. Been looking on internet and it seems like buses only go from La Daille and a lot later on although a bus has stopped just near a moment ago. Thanks for any help.
latest report
Hope the faller is doing okay. Never nice to take a tumble.

Shuttle bus details here :- https://en.tignes.net/resort-guide/la-navette-tignes-val-disere

There is a free Shuttle Bus to La Daille from Val centre :- https://www.valdisere.com/en/village-guide/map-shuttles/
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Kenzie

Not sure if this will work .

https://fr.calameo.com/read/007021618a661ebfe653d

Well, it's an impressive ....... document.
ski holidays
@Kenzie, pfft, that's nothing. Check out https://lecoindeval.com/en/
latest report
@Dougie, The buses between Val d’Isere and Tignes have been very unreliable recently and cancelled frequently.

If possible I would suggest getting the bus along to La Daille. Then go up the La Daille bubble, from there its a very short ski(200m) to the Tommeuse chair up towards Tignes then download in the Toviere bubble back to Tignes Lac.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy