Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy (Or Tignes/Val D'Isere) 2021/2022. (Useful links updated on Page 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Where are you parked, @snowhound?

If there is significant snowfall, as chocksaway believes there may be then:

a) Ploughs will be working from around 4am
b) Road to the dam should be clear by mid-morning
c) Road from Golf car park to Le Lac town limits likely to need chains / snowies at the time you are leaving

Others may offer an opinion too, but maybe whack the chains on the night before on the basis it's easier to whip them off if you don't end up needing them.

Re. (b) by clear I mean ploughed, salted, gritted and no need for chains. It is most likely to still be driveable even at 5am, but with care, attention and chains or snow tyres.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bobski62, thanks. We're in the Genepi, car parked at Golf but would collect and pack Friday evening. On balance we've booked a couple of B&B hotel rooms for 100 euro close to the airport for Friday evening. Didn't fancy driving out at 4.30 am looking at forecast and temps. Peace of mind and guarantee making the flights for the cost of a meal out. About the same cost as the charge for using the snow chains.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Similar vein but what are we expecting for the road on Sunday? Similar story to the above - french car no snow tyres. Thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fmd999, probably easier from looking at the forecast. But, mountains, innit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Has someone forgotten to renew the Tignes website security certificate? I've been trying to get my daily fix of the web-cams, but just keep getting "NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID" on both Edge and IE12.

https://en.tignes.net/webcams
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn’t bother

It’s not snowing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Judwin wrote:
Has someone forgotten to renew the Tignes website security certificate? I've been trying to get my daily fix of the web-cams, but just keep getting "NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID" on both Edge and IE12.

https://en.tignes.net/webcams

Yes I have the same problem. There are quite a few places you can see the webcams for example in the Tignes app or Windy (app or .com) snow-forecast.com seetignes.com etc so it is only a problem within tignes.net and not the webcams themself but as up4it says looks to just be very cloudy today and not much snow yet
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kwood, We’re in Le Lac and had about an inch or so of fresh snow in the village. Up at the top of the pistes that’s more like two or three inches. It’s still falling, but only lightly now. Hopefully more on the way.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Axe wrote:
@kwood, We’re in Le Lac and had about an inch or so of fresh snow in the village. Up at the top of the pistes that’s more like two or three inches. It’s still falling, but only lightly now. Hopefully more on the way.

Oh that’s good to hear and forecast still look promising for the next few days. We arrive in Val d’isere on Saturday and can’t wait to get out there now.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Webcams seem to be back working on Tignes.net and the App for me anyway.

A grizzly old day, about 5 or 6 degs on the balcony and a day of very light snizzle. The snow has not started settling where there was no snow, a bit of the white parts of the resort. So it was domestic trivia, a trip to the bank and coffee with mates. This afternoon was spent in front of the oven making brandy snap baskets. Its all rock and roll up here you know.

The charts are still a confusion of lines. But tomorrow will be pretty much a repeat of today, maybe even less snow during the day, the wind will pick up a bit at altitude though. The big change happens on Friday when bot day and night time temperatures will drop by 6 degs or so as the wind picks up and blows from the North. There will be light to moderate snow for most of the day and night, it may ease off around lunchtime for a bit and the sun may stick its nose out, but not for long. So snow should settle everywhere. The snow and low temperatures will continue into Saturday, again there may be the odd sunny break in the day or so. The roads should be OK below the Dam but it only takes one clown on summer tyres to spin and block the road and chaos ensues. Perhaps 10-15cm between now and Sunday which is likely to be a day of sunny spells and light snow showers, but there is only moderate confidence in this forecast.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

but it only takes one clown on summer tyres to spin and block the road and chaos ensues

Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick plug (in my self interest Embarassed ) for the New Gen (previously SCBG instructor led guiding) intro to off piste session on Monday 4th am; they need more participants or it’ll be cancelled. I’ve done it before and it’s extremely good value for 60Euros for the morning and they will supply avalanche kit if required.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Quick plug (in my self interest) for the New Gen (previously SCBG instructor led guiding) intro to off piste session on Monday 4th am; they need more participants or it’ll be cancelled. I’ve done it before and it’s extremely good value for 60Euros for the morning
I'm in Blighty so can't help - but for future reference, do you have to be an SCGB member to get that very decent price? Or is open to anyone as it's with New Gen?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Open to anyone - I’m not a member. I’m not even sure it is affiliated to SCGB anymore; others will know the score I’m sure. There are full day intermediate and advanced options to I believe.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers swoafs. We've previously used the excellent Alpine Guides in Val D'Isere but that's good to know re Tignes guiding.
snow conditions
Its €120 for the day or €60 for half a day. There is a significant discount for SCGB members, you have to enter a code your name and membership number, which is checked against their database.
snow report
Sound like a good plan, @snowhound, and you'll be more rested for the journey. Whenever bruvs or sis come to visit they do this and it spares me a silly-o'clock start to get them to the airport.

Given the uncertainty of the forecast @fmd999, as @chocksaway has set out, impossible to say what the conditions will be, so best be prepared for snowy roads.

I will be interested to see how it turns out as in theory, I understand that chains/snowies are no longer mandatory from 1st April in Savoie.
snow report
Yeah, first time we've done this as we usually fly back later in the day so the roads have a good chance of being cleared/melted. Had no option this year. Reckoned we had to be at Lyon by 8 for a 11 am flight and it took us 3 hours driving here in good conditions. Did the math and didn't like the odds. it would only take one accident on the roads and we'd be stuffed.
snow conditions
3 lifts conked out with me on them today. The longest wait was about 12 minutes on Paquis. Viz came and went most of the day. It was quite sleety, even at top of Solaise and Toviere later in the afternoon. Came down Rhone Alps into Val and found a few sticks and stones coming through.
ski holidays
Heavy snow this morning. The lighter fluffier version so probably colder today than yesterday. Heading out soon to find out!
ski holidays
Its been quite warm and humid today. There has been light snow most of the day with one or two moderate to heavy showers of short duration. Nothing has settled on the non white bits yet - but that will change. We skinned up Palafour at lunchtime, warm work and the ski down was not that pleasant - an inch of fresh snow on top of frozen slush. Higher was better and there was also some good skiing amongst the La Daille trees, providing your binding did not break eh Tim?

The big change will be overnight as the mercury drops about 5 degrees. Its time to think late January - it will be a top coat colder tomorrow(*). As it gets dark tonight the snow will intensify a bit and then light snow will continue all night as it will all day tomorrow, there will be a strong breeze and temperatures will remain below zero even down in Brev. Again the snow will intensify for a few hours whilst you are packing and the tour ops bring the bus times forward. Between now and Saturday morning we are looking at 12-18cm of fresh. Saturday will be a couple of degrees cooler again, there will be snow showers of varying intensity all day, the sun may peep out. Given the low temperatures snow tyres or chains will be required to escape the village safely in the early morning, maybe required to below the Dam. Sunday will be a bit warmer as the sun peeps out from behind the clouds now and again, the odd light shower may drop a bit more snow. After a cold night, Monday will be quite pleasant with light winds and sunny periods.

(*)I realise the use of northern phrases may invoke outrage to those used to received pronunciation but you are not getting your money back!
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-60912374
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
(*)I realise the use of northern phrases may invoke outrage to those used to received pronunciation but you are not getting your money back!
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-60912374
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Looks like we'll have to ban the English from visiting God's Own - again!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, I did a couple of laps over at Grand Pre early afternoon. Snow was great and a few inches of fresh. I would have stayed longer had the chairlift not been so painfully slow. I didn't make it over to Le Fornet but wondered if they'd had more snow on that side?
snow conditions
Sorry guys as I’m sure it’s in the thread somewhere, but please could I have recommendations for a) waffles in Le Lac, and b) somewhere in VC which could conceivably cope with 20 for fondue etc (could be on 2 tables). Obv we need to book the latter and I’d like to do it sooner rather than later for next week.
snow conditions
@swoafs, Waffles - only place I can think of is the resto at the top of Toviere.

For next weeks Savoyarde festL'Armoise in VC ( up the road that has Daffys Cafe on the corner). But the Matriarch is a tad old fashioned so go tomorrow so she knows you are real! By Saturday they will be filling up as its such good value.
snow conditions
A mixed day, but the snow is still coming down. Found some great snow, but also some very scraped patches. Hard to find consistency. Viz awful at times. On Marmottes we couldn't even see the chair ahead of us.

The wind really picked up this afternoon. After a quick ski down to Rosee's for a coffee. (no one sat outside) I rode the La Daille gondola back up and it was rocking and rolling in the wind. Tommeuses was a positively Baltic final chairlift of the day.
snow report
Well, we took your advice today @chocksaway, and it was well received: the extra coat. The day ended as a bit of a howler but all augurs well for a nice refresh of conditions.
ski holidays
Certainly was mixed! I emerged this morning after a night at the Escale Blanche, very good but a bit pricy compared with some places. As G says it was a mixed bag of finding snow and some light so you could see it. I started off to the left of Grattalu and put some fresh tracks in, in fact it was quite good so I did it 3 times. There was the occasional bounce off the bottom but generally good. The pistes were very varied good in places but scraped in others. After a trip up the Funi I did a couple of laps of off piste above Vanoise, it was a case of feeling your way around known areas in case you vanished in cloud. Leisse was deserted and I was lucky the sun almost broke through, so I could avoid the old moguls and ski off the edge of the piste. As I came down Double Mayhem the weather changed dramatically, up came the wind and down came the cloud, Tichot was quite brutal and Grattalu was worse so I opted for the rope tow rather than Grand Huit. It has snowed moderately to heavily all afternoon. Roll on tomorrow! Very Happy Very Happy

We are looking at about 15cm overnight and into tomorrow, its going to remain windy. The snow intensity will ease off after dark, but it will be continuous. Its already minus 3 and the snow is settling on the side roads, summer tyres wont crack it alone in the morning. Light snow will continue all day tomorrow, it will be breezy and it will be a couple of degrees colder, wrap up. The avalanche risk is rising to 3 so if you can see the snow its time to be prudent again. The winds will ease for Sunday, and the sun will poke out from behind the clouds and give us some sunny periods to make hay whilst the sun shines. Can't rule out another snow shower or 2 for the afternoon. Monday will be quite a bit warmer and after a few clouds have cleared in the morning it will be a sunny day. Tuesday will also be good until happy hour when there may be some showers, they may be sleet in the lower parts of the resort. Just an early heads up for Thursday - potentially very snowy.

Right the travel-tricky! Firstly the roads with only 21k arriving and 17k leaving the official report says there wont be any delays unless there is an exceptional event. But as there may be snow down to 500m in the valley the likelihood of that is quite high. I suspect summer tyres without chains will only get you half way up the hill. So be prepared.

Flying from the UK is going to be down to the luck of the draw on delays. The whole country is forecasting snow/sleet/rain showers but very intermittent (it will be snow at Leeds) so you would be unlucky to have to wait for any snow clearance, but more likely is de-icing the aircraft if its sleet or snow on the wing its mandatory for the de-icing to take place. Over here it is similar but the showers will be snow and as the temperatures will be hovering around zero until mid morning there may be a bit of runway and taxyway clearance to do if it settles, especially for the early arrivals. As the aircraft will be cold after landing the de-icing issue will rear its head again as sleet will freeze onto the wings. Chambery is looking tricky, if they get a heavier shower then the visibility will not be high enough for an approach, so round and round the hold until it blows through. The wind will also be from the north which requires a a circling approach if it reaches the strength in the forecast. This is a purely heads out of the cockpit manoeuvre to requires very good visibility. Could be a long day........
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @chocksaway, for the restaurant recommendations!
We also encountered very mixed visibility but some absolutely amazing soft snow in between the piste markers and to the sides of runs.
Thoroughly looking forward to enjoying the new snow in better visibility Very Happy
ski holidays
A quite specific question.

Does anyone know of a ski shop preferably in Le Lavachet/Le Lac, but Val Claret if needs be, that hire out Dynastar GS or SL skis?

Skied them at the ski test in Hemel and loved them both, but fancy a try of them on the real stuff!
ski holidays
Amazing powder in Tignes this morning, 4th trip of season and this is by far the best snow.

Found myself knee deep on Ancolie this morning in Tignes and heading over to Val d'Isere Orange and OK were also complete powder-fests.

Resort isn't busy either.
snow report
@swskier, Can't help with that one I'm afraid.

Well that was probably the best morning of my shortened season so far.
Saturday - tick
New snow - tick (12cm)
Cold - tick (well - chuffing cold)
Little wind overnight - tick

Which meant that we had a good morning off piste before the weather closed in just about 12.30. A bit of prudence was called for with the avi risk, the overall lack of snow (12 cm doesn't cut it on ground previously bare) and the chance the light was going to go. So we did off the side of Grattalu and 2 laps of the Palet drag sticking to the gullies where the snow was deep enough (most of the time wink ) after the first pitch we were catching our breath when Ali Ross and his group followed us down, so it felt like the decision making was going well!

After a coffee at Panoramique, we wandered around Genepy and then of cairn, by then the vis was dropping so it was back to the piste and into VC for a well earned Aspen Burger. We met some friends, escorted them back next door by which time it was snowing heavily and blowing. Time for tea and medals.

I did however feel sorry for those at the airports, it seems delays were the order of the day as there was erhaps a bit more snow to the north than we thought. Snow clearing/de-icing at GVA in April...mmmmm. Also, there were 5 lucky occupants who survived going off the road just out of Tignes, the car came to a halt 50m below the road, they all crawled back to the road, only one had a serious injury.

The weather tomorrow will be much more benign, sunny periods after a cold night. The cloud should thicken in the afternoon and might give a shower or two of light snow. A few fluffy clouds will disappear through Monday morning leaving a sunny day with only a light breeze, still cool for the time of year. Tuesday - sunny and warmer, the cloud will build after the lifts shut. Wednesday is still up for discussion, might be showery might be sunny. The end of the week does look stormy, but its a band of weather about 200 miles north to south, so it won't have to move far. the apps are having a field day, I'll keep my powder dry!

Good day for flying and driving tomorrow.
snow report
@swskier, Don't just look for Dynastar skis, there will be an identical Rossignol model with a different topsheet.
snow report
@chocksaway, Definitely one of the days of the Season. We were out early (for us) and headed straight down to Breviere. Untracked snow and hardly a soul about. Viz remained good whilst we were down there. We passed the bottom of Sache just as the first group to get fresh tracks came down. Big smiles all round.

Back up to 'Lac and Palafour where we found ESF's stade deserted. So three runs through there, even powder on top of corduroy, true Hero Snow.

Made our way over to VC for a slightly later lunch at the Corner Cafe that hit the spot.

Finished off down Trolles/Clarey to go and meet friends in the Jam Bar.

Capped off by Family arriving. "Super Saturday".
latest report
@swskier, Might be worth a stroll up the Rue de la Poste. Don't know any specifics but you have Mountain Story, Duch Sports, who always used to have a fair spread of demo and rental skis. Further up, Sport 2000.
snow report
Probably one of the best days we’ve had this season for fresh snow.
The visibility was much better than expected, the snow was Very Happy and the slopes were empty.
Bizarrely we skied from the top of Grand Pre to Fontaine Froide about 1500 and passed nobody, the area was very quiet even for a Saturday. Even the car park opposite us seems to be at the same occupancy levels as opening weekend back in November.
With a lot of uni students due to arrive in Tignes/Val d’Isere tonight and tomorrow after being delayed at Dover for over 12 hours it could get busier.
Our daughter was due to meet friends in Tignes that are on a uni trip for a welcome party this afternoon but the event was cancelled as the buses were still at Dover. They are expecting to arrive in Tignes around 0400
ski holidays
Another great day, up here in paradise there were few clouds but we could see them in the valley below and they built through the day such that it is now 'hazy overcast'. It was also very cold for April, even in the afternoon the air was cold on the face which has helped keep the snow in good nick,, though in the sunny areas off piste it has gone from powdery to compacted thanks to the suns rays. It was also quite breezy aloft last night, so a slight crust had formed above about 2700m in non sheltered areas. There was quite a lot of avalanche activity, both natural and rider induced, some people had been very lucky. Indeed, one chap skied to CoCos with his airbag inflated having triggered a slide in a couloir and he was asking how to deflate it.

We spent most of our time around the Grand Motte where fresh tracks were to be had till well into the afternoon. Familial first thing was good too. But tomorrow will be a different game as it warms up.

After a cold night, tomorrow will be sunny and a couple of degrees warmer than today. A few clouds will bubble up on the peaks in the afternoon. Tuesday will be sunny and another 4 or 5 degrees warmer, spring will be back. Wednesday will start warm and sunny but cloud will build through the afternoon and thicken after the lifts close to give showers from around midnight, the wind will pick up around mid afternoon, but nothing dramatic. Unlike Thursday which may well be dramatic with storms and high winds, the jury is still out as the synoptic chart is wiggling about like a drunken Parisian accordion player, it could be a storm, or we could just miss it. Either way as its going to be warm it could be rain to about 2000m, stay tuned.
ski holidays
Snowing again now - I am absolutely gutted that New Gen cancelled tomorrow’s off piste session Crying or Very sad
snow report
swoafs wrote:
Snowing again now - I am absolutely gutted that New Gen cancelled tomorrow’s off piste session Crying or Very sad

They’ve got to enjoy themselves sometime…
Odd decision - there’s still plenty to do.
snow report
@Grinning, Not odd, just economics. The ILGs always had to have 3 paid up participants to make it a goer. There is a massive shortage of instructors across the resort this week, they will have no problem employing them on something else..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy