Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Yep all of MC side and 4 cross section (lower chavannes) will be closed during the event, but the rest is all open so am planning to ride around if it isn't too crazy. They started building the viewer stands about a month ago. Am keeping an eye on the weather....looks a bit wet next weekend at the moment but hopefully that's gonna be wrong.

Interesting look at where the finals have been since 1990

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers - - we’re arriving Wednesday and my mate arrives Thursday so we’ll probably pop up Friday pm to have a look round.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had to check out Val di Sole as it features in 5 years out of 18.
I thought MC downhill track was outrageous until I saw this....don't think I could even walk down....

http://youtube.com/v/Nj_ppPQJCJk
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great atmosphere in town today for the first race day with all the vuvuzelas, fog horns and of course chainsaws.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crowd is building by the day, despite some light showers earlier. A lot of noise as Pauline Ferrand Prevot won the world XC short track.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Absolute mayhem for the elite downhill on mont chery with France taking 1-2-3 in the mens

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polo wrote:

Interesting look at where the finals have been since 1990

From next year all UCI WC disciplines will be run from the same location at the same time. Road, Gran Fondo, Track, BMX, MTB XC/DH, para sports as well as the more obscure cycling sports. This is to create economies of scale for all involved and also helps poorer nations. It will be a great festival of cycling but downside being standalone world class venues such as Les Gets will miss out on the economic benefits but they will still be able to bid for world cups.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just home from a cracking few days. A few rides on my new e-gravel bike and a fair bit of watching the MTB. I think @polo must’ve been quite close to us at the downhill - then a day at “Yorkshire Corner” with the Pidcock family and friends yesterday. Shame he couldn’t quite finish it off - started 40th on the grid and was up there after a couple of laps but a puncture and a crash left him too much to do.

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy from embsay, pity about Pidcock, incredible he still managed 4th place. On a different matter very sad news about Scotlands Rab Wardell.

@Ozboy, I suppose it makes sense for the various teams and the huge amount of equipment they haul around but I think several separate events is a better model for the public, and local economies. Not sure why somewhere like the PdS couldn't still host this new multi discipline world championships, with a velodrome in Geneva....what is missing?

In any case, PdS have now hosted 3 world championships in the last 18 years, which is exceptional considering all the venues across the world. Even in France, with all the mega resorts further south, it's surprising the only other event held outside PdS was in the Jura. Maybe something to do with easy access of Geneva.

Smaller events like world cup legs are almost as good for the local economy I reckon. Considering access is free and vast majority of people only day trip. There are only a handful of bars, and 15-20 restaurants, so whether you have 20k or 120k, it's pretty hard to get food and drink. Must have been 20k young people still on Rue du Centre at midnight on Saturday....you had to bring your own booze effectively. And accommodation was obviously long booked out, but I noticed a few normally busy chalets nearby me didn't rent that week....not interested in dirty mountain bikers Very Happy

So we've had our fair share, it's really doesn't have the infrastructure for so many people and cars.....back to peace and quiet now, and looking forward to some smaller events in the future. But it was special to witness it all.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
polo wrote:

@Ozboy, I suppose it makes sense for the various teams and the huge amount of equipment they haul around but I think several separate events is a better model for the public, and local economies. Not sure why somewhere like the PdS couldn't still host this new multi discipline world championships, with a velodrome in Geneva....what is missing?

Looks like the Downhill is back in PdS (Swiss side?) in 2025
https://www.valais.ch/en/information/landingpage/mtb-wc2025
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, saw that listed top of the page, different format again having it spread over 7-8 areas close together. Not sure if that ties in with what @Ozboy mentioned....Road, Track, BMX?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
polo wrote:
@BobinCH, saw that listed top of the page, different format again having it spread over 7-8 areas close together. Not sure if that ties in with what @Ozboy mentioned....Road, Track, BMX?

Not that close! 135km between Morgins and Zermatt.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, a leisurely half day on the bike for someone of your ability Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
polo wrote:

I think this is definitely aligned with having all disciplines in one region - not . There is a velodrome at UCI HQ in Aigle and lots of great routes in the canton for road and TT.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ozboy wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
polo wrote:

I think this is definitely aligned with having all disciplines in one region - not . There is a velodrome at UCI HQ in Aigle and lots of great routes in the canton for road and TT.

It only talks about MTB not road biking but as you say plenty of options available if they wanted them. Aigle is just over the cantonal border in Vaud as opposed to Valais so assume this is why the pump track at the UCI HQ is not included as a venue (or maybe they use it and call it Monthey - which is in the Valais)?
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Ozboy wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
polo wrote:

It only talks about MTB not road biking but as you say plenty of options available if they wanted them. Aigle is just over the cantonal border in Vaud as opposed to Valais so assume this is why the pump track at the UCI HQ is not included as a venue (or maybe they use it and call it Monthey - which is in the Valais)?

There is a 200m pop-up velodrome available which was recently used in the European Championships and the shorter track made for more exciting racing.
ski holidays
Just saw this report in the Dauphine and did some digging around to better understand how the UCI Wold Champs will be structured:

Dauphine article (assume it’s informed speculation):

- Chatel to host MTB World Cup in 2023

- Haute Savoie could host UCI Combined World Championships in 2027 (Châtel to host MTB). They have submitted a bid to host and winner to be announced Sept 21 (UCI).

- France Road Championships to be held in HS by 2027.

https://www.ledauphine.com/sport/2022/08/23/la-coupe-du-monde-2023-et-les-mondiaux-2027-a-chatel

I was slightly misinformed about consolidation of all disciplines in one combined event. Combined events will be scheduled every four years in the year preceding the summer Olympics. It will continue as distributed events in the intermediate years.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a26286991/uci-world-championships-glasgow-2023/

https://www.francsjeux.com/breves/france-wants-the-worlds-in-2027

UCI World Champs venues to 2026:

https://archive.uci.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/next-uci-world-championships.pdf
snow report
Evening all

Quick question that hopefully one of the PdS experts can answer for me.
We are planning on staying in Chatel in January, just a short walk from the Super Chatel lift.
How long would it take for a group of 6 decent skiers to get over to Avoriaz? I take it we would head down the blue to the Gabelou lift, then down to the Linga lift? Would getting over to Les Gets be achievable or even worth it? We tend not to hang around and can get a shift on.

Secondly, if we ski up and over from Chatel onto the Swiss side, how far away is the La Foileuse lift in Morgins from the bottom of the blue run down from Le Corbeau. Is it walkable or do you need to hop on a bus?

Thanks all
snow conditions
@Fridge03, Pretty sure that the blue to Gabelou will be shut, but you can download on the lift from Super Chatel to there. Better idea is to get the ski bus to Linga or Pre La Joux and start from there.
ski holidays
@Fridge03, Corbeau to La Foileuse is about 10 mins in ski boots.
ski holidays
To get to Avoriaz from Châtel you're better to get the bus up to the Gabelou chair, or even straight to the Linga télécabine (longer bus, slightly quicker, maybe).

From there it's just 3 lifts to get to the Lindaret area of Avoriaz, one more to do you into Avoriaz itself. How long? Probably less than an hour for me, knowing exactly where to go and skiing fast and non-stop. Navigation isn't completely straightforward though, and you need to keep high and left from the to of Linga to get directly to Plaine Dranse.

If time is really the driver, of course you can take the bus from Châtel all the way to Pre la Joux, which will probably save a good half an hour, perhaps more.

Getting to les Gets involves downloading from Avoriaz and walking or taking the train across Morzine Village. It's doable in a day, but your return timing is critical.

In Morgins you can ski all the way down to the village proper, just take your skis off to cross the road to the lift. If there's not enough snow to ski down the shuttle bus runs non-stop, or every ten minutes of it's not too busy, and take perhaps two minutes to get you to the Follieuse chair.

Did I miss anything? Any other questions please ask. For reference, I can see both Corbeau and Follieuse lifts from my seat here in front of the TV.
snow report
Chatel to Avoriaz quickest via bus to Pre La Joux then Pierre Longue and Rochassons lifts and ski down to Lindarets then up a lift to the ridge. 30 mins if no queues.

If we go to Les Gets we usually drive to Morzine and park up under Pleney. Otherwise it’s do-able via SuperMorzine and a walk across town (or the little train if idle). Plenty of time in reality but it means as soon as you get to Les Gets you start thinking it’s time to head home.
snow conditions
We are 5 min walk from the Super Châtel home run and we normally ski towards Avoriaz as prefer to be outdoors than riding a bus. Normally not in a rush and happy to get there for lunch time by doing some runs around Châtel and Linderets before popping over. We sometimes take the Swiss route which will be simplified this winter with ghe replacement and extension of the Conche lift.

Key consideration is coming back as the PDS chair back up to SC closes 15 mins earlier than Cabelou and you can end up getting stuck at the bottom of PLJ lift and then waiting for the bus followed by a trudge back uphill to accommodation - keep an eye on last lift times and also last bus from PLJ if you intend to hang around Avoriaz.

We encourage our guests to rent skis from the village at Richard or Charles Sports who allow skis to be left overnight. That way they can walk to the shop in the maiming and from there decide to take SC lift or bus to PLJ. Also makes it easier to hang around the village for some Apres.
snow conditions
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Is there a reason for the blue to Gabelou to be shut? Lack of snow coverage?

If we did want to bus to La Linga then how long is that from Chatel and do they go regularly? We try to limit our time on buses as much as possible but if needs must!
ski holidays
The Forrestiere run is shut as it’s not stable and prone to landslides but rumour has it they did not obtain the correct planning approvals from the Department. It’s become a white elephant especially as all the snowmaking infrastructure is already in place.

Bus to Linga takes 5-10 mins max and leave every 15 mins from church square. I would not dismiss starting from Super Châtel as it’s a great area especially in January.
snow conditions
They seem to have stopped even trying to prepare that piste; I don't think I've seen it open in the last three or four seasons. It doesn't access anywhere else and the lift down is quicker anyway (and probably more efficient to run with more people descending). Shame, it's a nice pretty run, but South-facing, and they probably just don't think it's worth the effort.

It's about ten minutes on the bus from Châtel centre to Linga, another ten (on the same bus) to Pré-la-Joux. Yes, they run regularly - never really looked at a timetable, but they always seem to be every ten minutes or so at busy times.
latest report
@Fridge03, to add my two penn’orth, unless you have a particular reason to head over to Les Gets, as you’re decent skiers you’ll have loads of fun around Lindarets and Avoriaz - great runs off Hauts Forts and down to Prodains, and Fornet etc at the top of the valley are great too. Fab skiing in the bowl in Les Gets, but as others have said unless you get an early start you’re always going to be looking at the clock as you have to drop back down into Morzine to get back over (and it can be slow going the Super M/Zore/Proclou way). If you ski Avoriaz you’re only ever a couple of lifts from being back in the Chatel area.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, +1.
The skiing around Chatel / Linga / PLJ IMHO is more varied and better connected than Les Gets (apart from Mt Chery) and it's a bit of a schlepp to get over there, in as much as there's more freeride, forests, parks, bowls etc.. So really don't get why you'd want to dog it all the way over there and back.
Like Ozboy, we prefer to be outside, so avoid busses, and get around fine with Gableou, PLJ etc..
Le Corbeau -> La Foilleuse is NOT the same as La Foilleuse -> Le Corbeau. One way it's down hill, and with good snow coverage, you can ski all the church. The other way is uphill, and a 5-8 minute walk, but even that is ok and quicker than the bus unless the bus is there and on the point of leaving.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WindOfChange wrote:

Le Corbeau -> La Foilleuse is NOT the same as La Foilleuse -> Le Corbeau. One way it's down hill, and with good snow coverage, you can ski all the church. The other way is uphill, and a 5-8 minute walk, but even that is ok and quicker than the bus unless the bus is there and on the point of leaving.

Quite so. Worth noting that if the Corbeau lift is not running, i.e. late season when there's not enough snow for the connecting runs to Chalet Neuf, there's a bus service all the way back to Chatel (lac de Vonnes/Gabelou) and vice-versa, but it's always been incredibly difficult to find accurate up-to-date information online about if and when this runs.

On a related note, we were just chatting last night about the new lift planned for 23/24 season to replace the Follieuse chair. Presuming that the intention is to dramatically increase the upload capacity to get more people on the slopes over that side, it's to be hoped that the other village bus service will also increase in frequency. At the moment they're once every half-hour in high season, once per hour outside of that, with an annoying one-and-a-half or two-hour gap at lunchtime, just when I'm getting back from morning ski lessons.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
late season when there's not enough snow for the connecting runs to Chalet Neuf, there's a bus service all the way back to Chatel (lac de Vonnes/Gabelou) and vice-versa, but it's always been incredibly difficult to find accurate up-to-date information online about if and when this runs.

I think it runs the same as the LaFoi-LeCor navette as its the same driver with the same bus, but just a different terminus.
We used it by accident once, without realising that the Corbeau was closed, we came over doing a counter-clockwise circuit and one of our party (skier with super heavy skis) didn't want to walk to the Corbeau, so we went and sat on the navette.
We were a bit curious when the driver didn't turn right in front of the Safari (SAF), but pleasantly surprised when they dropped us at Lac de Vonnes. Smile
ski holidays
Yeah I only ski in Les gets cause I have a place there, otherwise I’d ski somewhere else. Snow is snow. People should ski wherever is convenient/ or is a personal favorite. I don’t see much difference in A vs B if snow is good, unless you need specific things, like more parks, longer runs, more danger. For me it’s about easy access, avoiding crowds, good snow and decent food choice. I wouldn’t trek to other side of PdS if it was rushed.

On the subject of new lifts, not clear from below if it’ll be open this year or next?

ski holidays
@polo,Even if i had a place in Les Gets I still wouldn't ski there .....

but I would snowboard there every day Smile
latest report
@polo, pretty sure that’s a “2 summer” project so think it’ll be next winter. I’ve never found that to be a particular pinch point (it gets a queue, sure, but there’s always the option to nip down to the chairlift half way down the Cret blue run). The lift up through the village seems to be a mega-queue so another way of getting up onto the Lindarets ridge would seem to be a higher priority (if it’s possible).
ski holidays
andy from embsay - Totally agree, a new lift next to Tour up to anywhere on the ridge between the tops of Brochaux and Prolays would help a lot more than an improved Lac Intrets lift.
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, we can agree on that. I type ski out of laziness, but you’ll never catch me on a pair of them again. Well you probably would actually because I’ll be in a heap on the side of the piste at the first bend with twisted knee ligaments.

And who makes these decisions about new lifts…..what more can Tour do to get the attention it needs? Appropriately named Tour as you might as well skin up the side of it if you want to get to the top sometime in the next hour.
snow conditions
UCI have just awarded the combined 2027 Cycling World Champs to Haute Savoie. This will include most categories at the same time in-region. Includes road, track, MTB, BMX and urban. Individual venues not yet announced but Châtel was tipped to host the MTB events by the Dauphine. It’s five years away but hopefully we will see some infrastructure upgrades to the immediate areas.

I also find out the UCI President has a holiday house in Petit Châtel which I am sure has no bearing on these decisions.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy