Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Nope, definitely Saharan dust. Chatel slopes are more brown than white today, and sticky and slow. The sky is an equally peculiar colour.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@shep, different vintage though, definitely more yellow than orange.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
10cm of fresh yesterday morning but gone very quickly in the mild temps. Fun in the morning but very sticky patches in the afternoon in the sun.

Basically pee’d it down most of the night and lots of snow lost at village level but pistes remarkably good today. Soft but consistent and reasonably quick (all things considered!). But very yellow light and obvious orange snow from the Sahara sand.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I now see rain is forecast for the area!! Surely the worst combo of double digit temps (c) and rain!!

Anyone know an anti-rain dance?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Roscoe, how much and forecast by who?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@Roscoe, how much and forecast by who?

Here:

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Morzine/6day/bot
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah but snow-forecast are not usually very reliable. They tend to the optimistic outlook.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pamski wrote:
Ah but snow-forecast are not usually very reliable. They tend to the optimistic outlook.

So would dial down the rain?! Meaning potentially more? Sad

Also, any links to more reliable forecasts?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Roscoe, there is plenty of snow left on the many key slopes and don’t think it’s a worry - we are there for April and looking forward to the soft spring snow. Long range forecasts are always off as they are automated and best to work 3 or so days out and also follow sites such as chatelsnowreport.com who manually analyse charts and apply local knowledge. “Meteo Ski France” app can be accurate the closer you get and are definitely not optimistic about the elevation of the rain/snow limit elevation.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
All packed ready for our long weekend, leaving tomorrow evening after work.

Flight lands in Geneva at 20:30, and Alpybus have helpfully scheduled us on the 21:15 bus to Morzine, so looking forward to some potential fun and games on arrival! Let's hope Geneva airport is particularly efficient tomorrow! Shocked

Looking forward to getting back on the slopes again, not expecting great conditions after the sahara sand, but better than the plastic I ski on every weekend in Gloucester!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Roscoe, personally I find meteoblue to be pretty reliable (their composite modelling about 100 times better than snowhasntgotaclues simple use of one model.

Also while https://m.chamonix-meteo.com/en/index.php is specific for a few valleys over, it’s made by actual hoomans
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from a 4 day stay in Avoriaz. The snow is fine - bit sticky in places, bit sepia like in places, but the pistes are great, the parks are great, and the beer was great.
Good luck with baggage at GVA, my board bag took 2 hrs to appear Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TheGingerPrince wrote:
Just back from a 4 day stay in Avoriaz. The snow is fine - bit sticky in places, bit sepia like in places, but the pistes are great, the parks are great, and the beer was great.
Good luck with baggage at GVA, my board bag took 2 hrs to appear Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I'll take those condition after 3 years away (thanks covid!) from the mountains!!

Not sure I'm looking forward to the baggage collection though! By many accounts on here, GVA seems to be in a bit of a shambles at the minute, regardless of your arrival day/time!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Roscoe, glad that @Ozboy, and @under a new name, have given you some more reliable forecasting.
Just have a good time.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 17-03-22 16:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @Pamski, by the sounds of it the pistes are holding up well and should get some bluebird days!
latest report
Roscoe wrote:
Not sure I'm looking forward to the baggage collection though! By many accounts on here, GVA seems to be in a bit of a shambles at the minute, regardless of your arrival day/time!

I would figure out a way to take it all hand luggage if you are not taking skis/board. It’s easily done on BA into GVA.
latest report
Ozboy wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

I would figure out a way to take it all hand luggage if you are not taking skis/board. It’s easily done on BA into GVA.

Going for a full week with the Mrs, so will need to check two hold bags in. Carrying our boots (in bags) as hand luggage so looks like we cant avoid it!
latest report
If it’s any consolation - jet2 into GVA T2 last weekend was a breeze. No queue at passport control, bags through in minutes.

Only pain was having to walk back to pick up hire car keys from T1 when the hire cars are parked in P51 right in front of T2!
snow report
@Roscoe, just on our way to morzine.

Flight landed 10 minutes early at 2020 rather than 2030, although about 10 minutes wait on the plane before disembarking.

Queue at passport took 5 minutes max, bag was on the belt when we got there. Skis appeared about 10/15 minutes later at 2109 (yes I was looking that closely as alpybus had booked us on a 2115 transfer)

In the end transfer left at 2128.

Obviously Thursday night is far quieter than the weekend.

Bristol side, got to the airport at 1550, checked in bags and skis and through security by 1625.

Poles apart compared to Manchester back in January!
latest report
swskier wrote:
@Roscoe, just on our way to morzine.

Flight landed 10 minutes early at 2020 rather than 2030, although about 10 minutes wait on the plane before disembarking.

Queue at passport took 5 minutes max, bag was on the belt when we got there. Skis appeared about 10/15 minutes later at 2109 (yes I was looking that closely as alpybus had booked us on a 2115 transfer)

In the end transfer left at 2128.

Obviously Thursday night is far quieter than the weekend.

Bristol side, got to the airport at 1550, checked in bags and skis and through security by 1625.

Poles apart compared to Manchester back in January!

Glad you had a smooth journey. I fly Sunday at 10.40am, arriving 1.20pm local time, so bracing myself for the worst.
snow conditions
@swskier, Is it cloudy in Morzine this AM?
Up at 1250 you can't see more than 20m.
ski holidays
Rock the pistes this week, normally never miss the lunchtime Friday gig on Plenney / Foilets du golf.....combination of weather and rap headline not enticing me out.

Nice history of the festival here....

http://youtube.com/v/nxbQb6fQo4o
snow conditions
Think Rag 'n Bone Man has been the stand out act of Rock The Pistes over the last few years.
I must be getting too old now as nothing in this years RtP really grabs me.
Probably the best live gigs I've seen round here in recent years was Harley Days with Supertramp & Aussie Floyd, though I was gutted to miss Fat Boy Slim in Avoriaz.
snow conditions
Isn't Snowboxx starting tomorrow in Avoriaz?

Does it have much impact on the slopes?
snow conditions
Does anyone know if the Y92 from Cluses to Morzine is running and if I can prebook at ticket online?
snow report
@WindOfChange, sorry only just got back online.

We did a loop of the PDS circuit anti clockwise yesterday. Except out time in Avoriaz, and down the Swiss Wall I could barely see a thing all day. Not the best day to do it, but our only option for this weekend.

Been pretty warm, and not freezing over night, so slushy snow right from the get go. Spent virtually all day on the Avoriaz plateau today helping the mates gf who is a total beginner baring some dry slope lessons.

@Roscoe, there'd an arena set up on the plateau area in Avoriaz, so some space lost there, but doesn't make much difference. Not sure where else it is taking place so can't comment beyond there.

Lots of young lads all turning up today while we were in Avoriaz.
snow conditions
@Roscoe, Saturday we boarded across from Morzine to Morgins via Mosettes to see some of the RtP afternoon DJ set on öA Foileuse, we came back via Avoriaz, 4:30 ish. The Folie Douce was swinging, but the pistes were very quiet, and the big stage was not in use.
Sunday also out and about around Avoriaz / PLJ / Linga, pistes also super quiet - so to answer your question about Snowboxx, I'd say the impact on the slopes was that they were quieter than expected.
@swskier, Yeah Friday and Sat AM were cloudy here too Smile We waited till about 12:00 before heading up Super-Morzine and over to Morgins, as it was overcast before then. This was pretty much in line with what Snow-Forecast had said. From midday onwards it was wall-2-wall sunshine.
Sunday, also v.sunny, but clouded over in Lindarets about 2:45.
As we board, we're very much not bothered about going out early doors to catch it while it's cold, in fact as the day wears on It's much better as the straight-liner speed merchants have packed up and gone home because they are required to use some techniques rather than just relying on the geometry of their skis to do the turning.
snow report
On our way back to Geneva Airport now.

As mentioned, did the loop Friday which write frankly sucked Laughing virtually zero visibility, and snow hadn't managed to freeze over night.

Friday night our friends joined us. My mate had skied 5 or 6 times and his gf had never skied before except some dry slope lessons. I was put in charge of teaching her.

Saturday we went up to Prodains and then up the plateau chair and I got about helping her on the drag lifts up around there. My gf and mate hung around a bit before heading off and lapping the proclou and lindarets chairs. By the end of the day I had the mates gf comfortable in a plough glide and getting some small turns going.

Sunday, same route up, and again lapped the buttons on the plateau. She started picking up turning nicely, so after a mid morning break we took the gentle runs down to the Seraussaix lift. We then headed for the restaurant Les Cretes which is just below the zore lift. Have never eaten at this place before as its just not an area we're ever at during lunch time, but it was amazing. Stunning views from the balcony, and their savoyard dishes are incredible. We even had a bit of snow start as we were finishing up. We then headed back to Proclou and down to the Folie Douche where mate and his gf called it a day around 3.30. My GF and I then headed off for 45 mins or so to the Arare area before meeting them at the Folie and back down to Morzine.

Today, the friends decided to just take their gear back to the shop and have a look around town. We ended up heading up the Pleney, and looping around there and the Les Gets area. Pistes had a decent freeze on them over night and come mid morning had softened enough to give us the nicest skiing of the weekend. Skied back down to the pleney where coincidentally our friends were eating lunch at the Tremplin.

Back to the apartment to grab the bags and wait for the transfer.

We stayed in an apartment via Vrbo that was beautiful, in the Balcons de Morzine block on route d'Avoriaz. Can't fault the apartment, 2 double rooms and the 3rd bedroom had bunk beds. A proper kitchen with hob and oven. Only issue was the location. The C bus stopped outside but its only an hourly service and leaves Morzine around 18:40 for the lady run up, and 19:00 back down. So the evenings required a walk down the hill, around half an hour and taxi back, which cost us €23.

Lovely weekend away, bumped in to an instructor from Supreme today who I had a private lesson with on our last trip in Jan 2020, and he still remembered so that was nice.

Now just the drag of 4 more weeks of work before the next chance to get away rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived back home last night after a week in Morzine. Stayed in a lovely private chalet a stones throw from the Super-Morzine lift, so a perfect location. The whole PDS experienced the similar spring heatwave the UK had and, apart from Sunday (20th), we had hot bluebird days all week!! Great for the face tan but not so good for the slopes, which became increasingly slushy earlier and earlier each day. Hats off to the PDS team for keeping them maintained but large brown mud/grass patches were appearing on the Morzine runs on Saturday and yesterday. Not sure how they'll be able to keep them open until the end of the season but good luck to them.

Enjoyed the whole week and had some epic apres (Folie Douce on Wednesday (23rd) was amazing!) with some great friends!
latest report
Just had an email from Sagets, of interest to season pass holders:

"Du jeudi 31 mars au mercredi 6 avril, ne ratez pas notre vente privée réservée aux détenteurs d'un forfait saison été 2021 ou hiver 2021-2022 ! Eh oh!

Eh oh! Des prix fous pour votre forfait saison ou annuel Portes du Soleil :
Forfait saison hiver 2022-2023 à 530€ au lieu de 1079€
Forfait annuel été 2022 + hiver 2022-2023 à 750€ au lieu de 1389€

COMMENT EN PROFITER ?
Vous allez recevoir mercredi 30 mars un code promo unique, qui vous permettra d'acheter votre forfait saison ou annuel à prix réduit sur notre site de vente en ligne.
Vous trouverez la procédure d'achat dans l'email accompagnant votre code promo."

So a private sale to this winter's season pass holders. No indication whether the normal open-to-all Flash Sale will also take place later on...

Woohoo for next winter! snowHead
ski holidays
@shep, Not got anything from Chatel or SERMA yet......
But it does say that the normal Flash sale will be on April 7th for €599 so its €69 cheaper than Flash Standard.
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, Good info, good to see the Flash Sale will still take place. SERMA often seem to lag Sagets; but I suppose this could turn out to be a Sagets-only promotion, if so I wonder if my promo code could be shared? Wait and see whether you get anything I guess.
ski holidays
@shep, can SAGETS offer cheaper prices to PdS holders than other operators?
snow conditions
I got 2 emails yesterday same as Sheps....one from LG office and one from Morzine, looks a good offer, but incredibly early....cash flow?

"We remind you that the season and annual passes are NON exchangeable, NON refundable and NON transferable to another person. We reccomend you buy a weekly pass if you are not sure you will take full advantage of either of these passes."

Presume they would be rolled again in case lifts don't open for whatever reason
snow report
@under a new name, no idea, there must be some kind of agreement not to undercut, but maybe there's some flexibility for promotions or season passes, who knows. You remember in the 80's I think it was Sturt buying the punter passes (hundreds of them!) for all the reps, with that special deal he'd negotiated with Nyon (when Nyon was still an independent mountain)?! Everyone's beer money for the week sorted! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
2022-2023 passes now sorted - from Morzine site.
The site only allows you to buy at a time, but the promo codes worked great.
ski holidays
Sagets with good grace took three attempts to land the promo code in my inbox, but finally PdS season-pass #36 secured Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@shep, nice price!
ski holidays
@under a new name, Yes the flash sales and now this private sale have made up for the banning of "locals passes". Feel sorry for you guys over there though, CMB don't seem to care about their regulars... Confused
ski holidays
Nothing from SERMA / Avoriaz yet!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy