Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@karin, or not bail until the last minute ... the toe might easily recover to teh point that it can go in the boot and then it's as well protected as anywhere.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@karin, or not bail until the last minute ... the toe might easily recover to teh point that it can go in the boot and then it's as well protected as anywhere.

This is a good shout! I dropped a floor board on my big toe and broke it, couldn't put a shoe on for a week but after that the pain was manageable. Would they not go and chance it? Even if they only skied 3/4 times, that's still better than not going at all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another question for those in the know in Morzine. A couple in are group are heading to Morzine a few days earlier then we are (last minute decision) and have had to book additional accommodation for two days. There wasn't much available so had to book an apartment on the Route d'Avoriaz road (pretty much on the first hairpin above the Super Morzine lift). My question is, is the road walkable to the lift? Its says its 600 yards away but no good if the road is not walkable in boots with ski's, poles, etc. Anyone stayed here or know the area and the potential walk?

Also, will this be walkable with luggage when they join us in the chalet which is in the town a stones throw from super morzine?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
karin wrote:
We're out in Morzine from Saturday, but one of our group has managed to drop a brick on her big toe and break it. Can anyone shed any light, please?

I think you can get a new one for 78 pence.

https://www.jewson.co.uk/p/wienerberger-sandown-class-b-perforated-red-engineering-65mm-BRENG041
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Roscoe, Depending where they are, BUS Route C or D should do it.
https://en.calameo.com/read/0028278922434dec8531c?page=1
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WindOfChange wrote:

They are staying close to (if not it) Le Pied de la Croix. So would be route C but that doesn't appear to go near the Super Morzine? Would they have to change to route B to complete their journey? Seems a bit of over kill (2 buses) to travel, as the crow fly's, 600 yards?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a little rat run road down the back that passes in front of the Dahu, and then they could just go over the suspension bridge. You often see people slogging it up there in their ski kit, so I'm sure it's doable without the busses.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WindOfChange wrote:
There's a little rat run road down the back that passes in front of the Dahu, and then they could just go over the suspension bridge. You often see people slogging it up there in their ski kit, so I'm sure it's doable without the busses.

I'll pass this on but i'm sure others will be taking the same route for them to follow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I think you can get a new one for 78 pence.

I was waiting for someone to say something like that - nearly added 'the toe, not the brick' to the post Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The staff in the lift pass office are usually very helpful and will be able to understand an English email so drop them a line explaining the situation and asking if it's possile to get either a refund or credit to the ski pass account for next year.

Yes, she's going to try that, because she'll be out in April working with a bit of boarding if the toe allows, so deferring it to then would be a good option.
She hadn't bought her travel insurance yet, and getting hold of the physical pass from her before we go isn't that easy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello We are looking to book a long weekend next weekend (11th) possibly in Chatel. I know that much of the skiing is quite low but equally from what I can tell there has been quite a bit of snow this season so everything should be in ok shape? Any up to date info appreciated.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I recommend following the excellent Chatel Snow Report blog.

(But yes, it should be fine.)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jakebarton,

A quick summary. On piste snow is fine, but old. Off piste is a bit meh.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roscoe wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

They are staying close to (if not it) Le Pied de la Croix. So would be route C but that doesn't appear to go near the Super Morzine? Would they have to change to route B to complete their journey? Seems a bit of over kill (2 buses) to travel, as the crow fly's, 600 yards?

Bus-wise from there I'd probably have said C bus to Rond-point des Meuniers, then swap on to the A bus to Prodains, rather then try to get in to the S-M (though might be easier to get on a Prodains->Morzine A bus in the morning than a Morzine->Prodains one, especially if the S-M is closed due to weather or snow cover).

Looking on Google Maps though it does give a 16min pedestrian route: Down Route d'Avoriaz, right on to Chemin du Mas Metout, then when you get in line with the end of the wobbly bridge just turn left and follow the footpath down the steps and over the 'main' road, and you're on the bridge. I've often done the first part of that walk and don't think the Chemin du Mas Metout section's too steep but don't know about the Route d'Avoriaz road.

Do your guys have their own kit of are they hiring? If the latter a few of the hire shops have lockers, so you don't have to do the walk in ski boots/carrying kit. I know both the S-M Intersport and Hubert Sport tucked just around the corner from the S-M have them and I'm sure some others do too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mjit wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
WindOfChange wrote:

Bus-wise from there I'd probably have said C bus to Rond-point des Meuniers, then swap on to the A bus to Prodains, rather then try to get in to the S-M (though might be easier to get on a Prodains->Morzine A bus in the morning than a Morzine->Prodains one, especially if the S-M is closed due to weather or snow cover).

Looking on Google Maps though it does give a 16min pedestrian route: Down Route d'Avoriaz, right on to Chemin du Mas Metout, then when you get in line with the end of the wobbly bridge just turn left and follow the footpath down the steps and over the 'main' road, and you're on the bridge. I've often done the first part of that walk and don't think the Chemin du Mas Metout section's too steep but don't know about the Route d'Avoriaz road.

Do your guys have their own kit of are they hiring? If the latter a few of the hire shops have lockers, so you don't have to do the walk in ski boots/carrying kit. I know both the S-M Intersport and Hubert Sport tucked just around the corner from the S-M have them and I'm sure some others do too.

They'll have their own boots but will need to rent skis. The locker option would be their best bet and then they can just walk up (or taxi after Apres) when needed.
snow report
Roscoe wrote:
They'll have their own boots but will need to rent skis. The locker option would be their best bet and then they can just walk up (or taxi after Apres) when needed.

Yep, just if they are the 'apres straight from the slopes' types to take 2 pairs of shoes. Not that I've ever spent too long at Happy Hours in Ardent so missed the ski shop closing time, so had to spend the rest of the evening in ski boots or anything...
latest report
Mjit wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Yep, just if they are the 'apres straight from the slopes' types to take 2 pairs of shoes. Not that I've ever spent too long at Happy Hours in Ardent so missed the ski shop closing time, so had to spend the rest of the evening in ski boots or anything...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Do you still need to pre book restaurants in Morzine due to covid?
snow report
@winterstickboarder,

Nope, but you might want to book because of the hordes.
snow report
zzz wrote:
@winterstickboarder,

Any recommendations?
snow report
Roscoe wrote:
zzz wrote:
@winterstickboarder,

Any recommendations?

By phone is easiest.
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
zzz wrote:
@winterstickboarder,

Any recommendations?

By phone is easiest.

Walked into that one! Laughing
ski holidays
On a slightly more helpful note, we have some vegan and veggie friends and have had at couple of meals at "The Local" formerly the Sherpa, and have it say its really very good.
Sadly the Farmhouse is not catering for non-guests this season, but there's still The Grange, L'Etale, Chudanne, Bec Jaune etc...
ski holidays
Thanks @WindOfChange, Will give those a look and make some bookings.
ski holidays
Personally, I'm not a fan of Le local; its name is a bit of an oxymoron. A lack of atmosphere and a lack of French. Agree with the other choices. Also worth trying the Hideout this year. A new chef and good and interesting food. No cooked cheese to be seen.
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
No cooked cheese to be seen.

No cooked cheese?? I'm out!
snow conditions
Please forgive a post in the wrong place, this is a shout out for help / advice. My son picked up the wrong ski bag in Geneva and now has it with him in Val d'Isere. He urgently needs to get it to its owner who is stuck in Morzine with no gear. He also needs to get his bag from BA - any ideas / suggestions ? Is there a more suitable thread for this post ?
snow report
Probably he should get a return shared-transfer to GVA today, hand the bag to a MZN transfer company for delivery (arrange and pay for this in advance), grab his own bag and head back up to Val. Skiidy and Getaway probably have the most vans doing MZN-GVA, I don't know the options for Val. Put this on the Val thread too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks very much @shep, for the advice.
ski holidays
Roscoe wrote:
zzz wrote:
@winterstickboarder,

Any recommendations?

Enjoyed L'Improviste / Le Colibri this year

L'Improviste is a little out of town but worth the walk
snow conditions
Quick shout out to any boarders in PDS next Sunday (13th March) - Avoriaz is the sole French resort participating in a day for Jake - A celebration of Jake Burtons life and a day to have fun messing about in the snow on your snowboard Happy
Its stuff like this that makes me love Avoriaz (and its relationship with snowboarders) even more, and also makes me super proud to be a boarder. More info and some DIY bits (armbands etc) at a day for Jake website.
For those that don't 'board - apologies in advance for all the people sitting around doing bindings up at the top of chairlifts... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
shep wrote:
Probably he should get a return shared-transfer to GVA today, hand the bag to a MZN transfer company for delivery (arrange and pay for this in advance), grab his own bag and head back up to Val. Skiidy and Getaway probably have the most vans doing MZN-GVA, I don't know the options for Val. Put this on the Val thread too.

It may end up being cheaper to rent a car, Checking on autoeurope you can get a car for the day from Moutiers for £81, I don't think you can get one in Val d'isere. Bus Val d'Isere to Bourg, regular trains to Moutiers.
latest report
@TheGingerPrince, +1
latest report
If I wanted to get a pair of skis sharpened in Morzine, is there anywhere in particular that people would choose to go? The skis have been used for teaching on a dry slope all Winter, and it's not just the side edges that need sharpening, so i guess the base will need grinding otherwise it will end up proud of the base edges if they are sharpened too?
snow report
TheGingerPrince wrote:
For those that don't 'board - apologies in advance for all the people sitting around doing bindings up at the top of chairlifts... Twisted Evil

Top of the chairlifts is fine, it's spread across the piste just over a ridge that I have an issue with. Toofy Grin

As an aside in Les Gets in January I saw a class of about 20 ESF snowboard instructors being shown that exact skill by their instructor. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@karin, Dunno about skis, but for board servicing I go to the Woods.
They're super friendly and they do a great job and it's done by hand.
I had an emergency repair done (base grind and fill a massive gouge) at Alpine Sports, they were v.friendly and did a great job too. I had some work done a few years back at Coq and Bull, but I'd say it was not as good as the Woods.
latest report
@WindOfChange, thanks
ski holidays
We did the Portes du Soleil circuit today for the first time, despite having been skiing here on an off for over 25 years. Started from Chaux Fleurie and went clockwise.
Felt like a lot of lifts and not much skiing between Gabelou and coming back up out of Morgins, not helped by having to download on the Corbeau chair into Morgins because of lack of snow.
There was snow cover all the way round except under the Corbeau chair, but it was very soft in places from the top of the Morclan chair to the top of Point de L'Au.
There was a section of red just after the top of the Morclan chair that was probably one of the steepest bits of red I've ever seen, and definitely steeper than some black we went down later on.
Not sure I'll be rushing to do it again, but it was good to have finally done it.
snow report
karin wrote:
We did the Portes du Soleil circuit today for the first time, despite having been skiing here on an off for over 25 years. Started from Chaux Fleurie and went clockwise.
Felt like a lot of lifts and not much skiing between Gabelou and coming back up out of Morgins, not helped by having to download on the Corbeau chair into Morgins because of lack of snow.
There was snow cover all the way round except under the Corbeau chair, but it was very soft in places from the top of the Morclan chair to the top of Point de L'Au.
There was a section of red just after the top of the Morclan chair that was probably one of the steepest bits of red I've ever seen, and definitely steeper than some black we went down later on.
Not sure I'll be rushing to do it again, but it was good to have finally done it.

I do it often (several times a trip) but usually anticlockwise which gives much more skiing. Starting from Pre la joux car park, usually up pre la joux lift (you can usually park with a 1m walk to the snow...), through Plaine Dranse, up to Mousettes and then once in Switzerland you can amble along taking your time through Crosets, Champoussin and down into Morgins that way or zip along the back along Didier Defago (a track, but I love it). Across Morgins and up Corbeau and then you have a choice, Nip through Torgon and go up to the top of Braitaz for an amazing Steak at the restaurant there (they cut it off the joint), (there's plenty of time to get back if you took the quick DD route to Morgins) and then it's back through Torgon, Super Chatel, across through Linga and back to pre la joux. If you don't take the Torgon to Braitaz bit for lunch, I highly reccomend the Lasagne at "The Portes du Soleil" next to the Linga link and lift of the same name. A nice day out.

The Corbeau piste is very often closed by the time in the season that I get there which is a shame because a "Boxer beer" half way down is always welcome. I have managed to scramble down it a couple of times.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 10-03-22 12:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I've just seen that you're in Morzine, so you may need to miss out the steak at Braitaz, which is a shame, because it's truly awesome. Although it is possible to get to Chapelle d'Abondance from where you are because we've skied it in the oposite direction starting from Chappelle (where we stay) to Les Gets and back (starting from Panthiaz, but cutting through Torgon-Chatel-Linga-Pre la Joux etc)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy