Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil 2021/2022 - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc.

Poster: A snowHead
@mah, I had some black Friday passes a couple of years ago. I didn't ski one day due to weather and expected to lose the day pass, but the lady at the sales point told me to email the lift pass office. I got a letter back with a free one day pass to be used by 2022 Sad . Definitely worth emailing but whether they will respond in time is another issue.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes Combes great for Arare and the blacks, and the boulevard (now called Plateau) chair to cowboy over to Linderets.

The public elevators (look for the "Ascenseur Public" signage) not so much; fine if you're already in the upper village, but it's a long steep yomp in ski boots from the top of the Changabang lift to the Snow building lift/village-des-enfants drags. The horse-drawn sleighs turn the going into something reminiscent of trench-warfare, defo not advisable with kids or whingers Twisted Evil.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@shep, Pas de Lac elevator, cross the road, Chanagbang elevator, covered passage to the Post Office, walk up and round the corner.
Maybe its hard in robocop kit if your'e getting on a bit, but in board boots carrying a board it's a breeze.
Certainly preferable to 25 minutes in the queue for Tour, while dickwads march their skis across the back of your board trying to gain an extra 3 inches of forward progress in the melee.
Some of our staff used to do night shredding after the lifts closed, they would take the 2 lifts as above, then take the Shooters lift (Snow Building) then cross at the top and the Club Med lift to the very top of the resort, then board all the way down to the medical centre at Pas Du Lac, rinse and repeat.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah yes been there done that! I've spent the last few inter-seasons doing the same with mini-Shep on our bicycles, as a 6 yr old she couldn't believe she was allowed to ride along those carpeted corridors!

However you're showing your (and my!) dinosaur status, I was gutted two seasons ago, on spotting the hordes down at the Tour chair and wanting to loop back to the Boulevarde chair via the Pas du Lac ascenseur, that it has been decommissioned Mad . The medical centre is also gone, it's up behind the village des enfants now (god knows where they land the chopper). Quickest way to loop back now if you spot the queue too late is the half-pipe drag, if it's running.

Fair enough yomping up from the gallerie to Snow building in board boots, I'd never hear the end of it if I tried to march mini-Shep (or her mother!) up there in ski boots! Skullie
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@WindOfChange, Can't remember when your first season was, do you remember the old blue button-lift that went from the bottom of the Tour chair up to the village des enfants drags? I lived in Les Ruches then, didn't need the Tour chair to get home! It's crap when they take out useful infrastructure to save on labour/maintenance.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice little loop of the Roc d'Enfer circuit today to get away from the madding crowds (of cloggies). Lots of little strips of untracked pow just the other side of the piste-markers, and that precious "I'm the only person for hundreds of miles" feeling over the back side snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@shep, and a beautiful day for it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@shep, I first skied PdS in 1986, but my first season as a seasonaire was in 1988. I do remember that drag up the side of ruches, it was steepish, it wend round a corner, and it sometimes closed at lunchtime.
There also used to be a steep drag from where the Folie Douce is now going straight up to the ridge - that too would still be useful now to avoid Tour.
Love the St Jean - Roc loop, did you try the new piste at St Jean btw?
It was created during the pandemic, so I haven't skied / boarded it yet.
During the summer we did the mountain karts a few times, and it was part of the track, but early on there was a landslip due to all the rain, so it's a bit narrower in one part now.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BergenBergen wrote:
@mah, I had some black Friday passes a couple of years ago. I didn't ski one day due to weather and expected to lose the day pass, but the lady at the sales point told me to email the lift pass office. I got a letter back with a free one day pass to be used by 2022 Sad . Definitely worth emailing but whether they will respond in time is another issue.

Thanks, I'll see if I can located some contact details for the pass office as nothing to lose and they will be able to see we aren't using them (I assume). I think I booked from Tuesday as we were due to travel overnight on Sunday, which we aren't allowed to do. I would love to ask them to roll them on a week but that might be being too optimistic!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mah, Just dug out my letter. The free pass had to be used before end of season 2021 Sad Sad Sad Email address was caissesdulac @ chatel.com
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi,

Not sure anyone will be able to help with this, but we have ordered our PDS ski passes to be picked up in Chatel, using a QR code. We our now changing are stay to Morgins and don’t seem to be able to get through to anyone to have the passes sent to the UK first or have them refunded, does anyone know any contact details?

The alternative plan is to just get the taxi from Geneva to pass though Chatel and pick them up on route, would this work?

Thanks

Harry
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WindOfChange wrote:
@shep, I first skied PdS in 1986, but my first season as a seasonaire was in 1988. I do remember that drag up the side of ruches, it was steepish, it wend round a corner, and it sometimes closed at lunchtime.
There also used to be a steep drag from where the Folie Douce is now going straight up to the ridge - that too would still be useful now to avoid Tour.
Love the St Jean - Roc loop, did you try the new piste at St Jean btw?
It was created during the pandemic, so I haven't skied / boarded it yet.
During the summer we did the mountain karts a few times, and it was part of the track, but early on there was a landslip due to all the rain, so it's a bit narrower in one part now.

Yes, that drag is a real loss. You've got me on the new piste though, I don't ski Grande Terche that often but it looked like it always has. Where does the new piste run? Can't say I'm a big fan of the little poma route to get back to the bottom of the bubble, I used to enjoy slaloming between the parked cars to get back to the station!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hcavenagh, There's a bit more to it than that, but it's not insurmountable.

A few years ago, there was a system setting that meant PdS passes had to be used for the first time in the country of issue, so if this is still the case (probably) you'd need to start your first day in Chatel.
This was because some enterprising souls using the arbitrage in currency, pricing and local offers, to buy their passes for a few quid cheaper.

SO instead of getting the Taxi do go via Chatel on the way to Morgins, wait until your first morning, and get a Taxi to take you from Morgins to Chatel, pick up the passes and start skiing. Or just one person go in the taxi to Lac de Vonnes, and beep all your passes on the gate of either the Gabelou or PdS Chairlift that are right by the caisse, then return in the taxi.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@shep, The new piste isn't obvious, or well signed.
As you come out of the Gondola it is at about 1 o'clock. It goes down to a right hand hairpin after about 200m, then hugs the side of the mountain through a km or so of gentle turns, before turning right and crossing under the gondola in the woods and joining into the main piste where it all flattens out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very useful to know. Hopefuly that just applies to the first time they are used and not every morning?

Thanks
snow report
@hcavenagh, Just the first time.
snow conditions
Great, can to wait to get out there
snow report
Quote:

my first season as a seasonaire was in 1988

@WindOfChange, mine too! May I ask who you worked for?
ski holidays
Swiss company called The Welcome Centre based in Leysin.
They ran 2 hotels in Morgins, and 2 hotels plus the Top Pub in Leysin.
I worked at the Hotel Bellavista in Morgins, what about you?
snow conditions
Wasn't Ian McKellar (Avoriaz Alpine Ski School) running Ski M&M in Morgins in those days?
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
@shep, The new piste isn't obvious, or well signed.
As you come out of the Gondola it is at about 1 o'clock. It goes down to a right hand hairpin after about 200m, then hugs the side of the mountain through a km or so of gentle turns, before turning right and crossing under the gondola in the woods and joining into the main piste where it all flattens out.

Ah yes, I spotted the top of it from the chair, there's a button coming back up from the hairpin, I thought it was just an extension of the bunny hill, didn't realise it carried on down. Good for them to be expanding on what must be a very limited budget Toofy Grin
latest report
2 new pistes in Portes du Soleil snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/fdc0PRxZnx4
snow conditions
@shep, I think so, yes.

@WindOfChange, I worked for a chalet co., Ski Tips in Morzine.
snow conditions
@shep, Yes Ian was Ski M&M back then, also Morgins was tiny compared with how big it is now.
Chery Nord was great this on Saturday btw.... I only saw 3 other people, 2 skiers and a bloke on snow shoes.
snow report
@WindOfChange, I was there yesterday morning....nord side black was pretty tracked out I thought by 11am, you really have to be first lift down there, I never enjoy that black when it's chopped up. Found the front side to have much more untracked available mid morning, best off piste runs were down the middle below Grand Ourse towards the bubble, and the side piste of red down to the 2 man on skiiers left. Great snow all weekend though, Sat very nice as there was better viz.....getting much quieter now also helps after a very busy 3 weeks. Today should be lovely, but am wrecked......had a nasty wipe out.

After 5-6years wearing my only ever pair of boots (Burton Moto) I finally upgraded to K2's.....waaaay stiffer, with a fancy lace free tightening system. Hoping they will force me out of some bad habits, with old soft boots I think I have been flexing my back foot too much. Now I feel my feet are locked in much more tightly.....need to get used to them.

@BobinCH, nice vid.....mental
ski holidays
@polo, On Saturday we just dropped in off the ridge where the small saplings are before you get to the big fence bit. I think cos it looks steep from the ridge and the little trees, it puts a few people off from dropping there.
Bit is front of Gd Ourse between the piste and the Comp piste always is great and seldom used, there's a little concrete roof you can jib off too, which is nice.
Hope you like your new boots.
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, yep that's a good spot to drop into...definitely steep in my books, and plenty of trees to avoid.
Boots - slightly off topic but found this guide useful....too late for me to learn any park tricks, so focusing on carving, control and backcountry, went for 7-8/10.
https://snowgoing.com/snowboard-boot-flex-guide-soft-vs-stiff-snowboard-boot-which-one-is-right-for-you/

Had planned to make a vid y'day but didn't plan enough to pack the charger so battery ran out top of first lift and this is all I got

Screenshot-2022-01-09-at-17-02-17

Screenshot-2022-01-09-at-17-04-02
snow report
What great conditions and just when it got quiet too Laughing ! I was also on Chery Nord Saturday, there was a bit of a feeding frenzy 9-10.30 which tracked-out the black, but we then did 5 rotations of the copse between the black and the shrubbery, and had it pretty much to ourselves (as well as you guys by the sounds of things!).

Unfortunately I ate a tree on that last run and tweaked a knee ligament, so had to miss yesterday and today - bummer! Hoping Vallée de La Manche will still be good tomorrow snowHead , although I guess it will get some traffic today with the good viz.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
According to my son the VDM was good today, he did it about 11:30am having hit all the usual spots around Chaux Fleurie / Rochassons.

snow conditions
@doddsie, Very Nice
latest report
Re the lift pass issue mentioned above the lift office told me a couple of weeks ago there wouldn’t be any issue using the pass starting in Switzerland despite being bought from the french side , is this not the case? Has anyone tried?
snow conditions
Under Chaux Fleurie

http://youtube.com/v/2tfbaKLfAao
snow conditions
@doddsie, he is good and you must be well proud! Couldn’t help looking at some of the other videos on the YT channel!
snow report
doddsie wrote:
Under Chaux Fleurie

http://youtube.com/v/2tfbaKLfAao

Agree with @Ozboy. He’s seriously good!!!

Ps you need a GoPro Max wink
latest report
Thanks guys, I need a better cameraman who can keep up with him, rather than a better camera.
Ozboy - he has good instructors, you can see more on his insta at madmiloskis.
snow report
doddsie wrote:
Ozboy - he has good instructors, you can see more on his insta at madmiloskis.

Lucky indeed to have great instructor who is double Olympian, 4th in World Champs and two World Cup bronze medals. I’ll check out his insta.

EDIT: I’ve just looked at his Instagram and am blown away by his talent and gym skills. The boy and ski and fly and also has some good mentors in Châtel/Morzine.
snow report
doddsie wrote:
According to my son the VDM was good today, he did it about 11:30am having hit all the usual spots around Chaux Fleurie / Rochassons.

Right there might be my favourite place on the planet snowHead
snow report
Hi, may I ask how conditions are looking overall ? We’re thinking of returning to Morzine this or next Saturday if allowed.. or Austria if not !
ski holidays
paulmags wrote:
Hi, may I ask how conditions are looking overall ? We’re thinking of returning to Morzine this or next Saturday if allowed.. or Austria if not !

See above posts from Doddsie Smile
ski holidays
@paulmags, Great snow and wall 2 wall sunshine - what's not to like ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy