Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez, Oz, Vaujany, Auris & Villard Reculas 21/22

Poster: A snowHead
Not long till official season opening on the 4th of December.

Fingers crossed the forecast snow arrives from next weekend.

Should be a busy winter ahead after last season. Probably covid passports will be needed to access the lifts. Taking of lifts Marmotte 1 has now changed to a telemixte and the old Marmotte 1 chairs will be used for the Chalvet (really slow lift out of the Sarenne).

They have changed the run down to Huez village, looks like they have made the last part of it easier and added more snow cannons. This lift is still due to be upgraded.

A new medical centre is being built on the Avenue du Rif Nel. Parking is now a serious concern so hopefully the lift up from Bourg will be agreed soon.

Tomorrowland is smaller this winter but already a sell out.

New ticket machines have been installed(not sure for Oz & Vaujany) so no more queuing up at the ski pass office if you have pre ordered your passes. Better webcams have been installed.

Roll on a normal(ish) winter!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 22-11-21 9:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's a nice report with lots of photo's on the replacement of the old Chalvet chair (from Sarenne gorge) by a TSD6
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36533
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in two minds if that is a good change. Part of me liked a nice break at the small coffee place before the old lift.... .but then equally having the newer lift earlier is much better from a snowboarding point of view as the track was fairly boring. Wonder if they will move the coffee place as I suspect hardly anyone will go there now
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice to see this thread. Off to Oz in early Feb (everything crossed) so will be checking in regularly Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpinebear wrote:
A new medical centre is being built on the Avenue du Rif Nel. Parking is now a serious concern so hopefully the lift up from Bourg will be agreed soon.
At the risk of asking a daft question... is the parking concern just for the Medical Centre or for ADH in general? We're intending to go for Feb Half Term, so I assume it will be busy. Deliberately arriving Saturday morning both for transfer day skiing and hopefully to nab a space from people who are leaving.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Onnem wrote:
Here's a nice report with lots of photo's on the replacement of the old Chalvet chair (from Sarenne gorge) by a TSD6
https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36533

I always loved that chair - slow, rickety, but very peaceful and always felt like a hangover from a different time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wibble44 wrote:
Alpinebear wrote:
At the risk of asking a daft question... is the parking concern just for the Medical Centre or for ADH in general? We're intending to go for Feb Half Term, so I assume it will be busy. Deliberately arriving Saturday morning both for transfer day skiing and hopefully to nab a space from people who are leaving.

Parking in general......fingers crossed for a lift up from Bourg.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm thinking about to go from 11 to 18 of December, how is looking in this dates? I know it's hard to predict but ...how was last years? Also seems is going to come a snow storm this days but idk..

Thanks a lot!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Woke up to some lovely white stuff in Bourg which should be lovely in resort.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was up in resort today.

Road up tricky with out of town drivers desperate not to put chains on!

Loads of snow in resort with the usual mad rush to get everything ready.

Good buzz about town, kids ski club cancelled tomorrow with the big storm due.

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alpinebear, thanks for the update. Nice to see the snow has arrived.
Fingers crossed that we can travel in two weeks time from the UK.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like there might be some heavy rain on the lower slopes tomorrow. Hoping that not too much gets washed away
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Finally was snowing and not raining? Also worried about (going in two weeks) but, from webcams, seems with a lot of snow in low slopes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Happy to report it's one of the best opening days I can remember!

Massive dump of snow yesterday.

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks amazing. Out of interest, do you know if they have in-resort testing available - Thinking specifically the LTF for the flights back to the UK at the moment?
latest report
Rob_Quads wrote:
Looks amazing. Out of interest, do you know if they have in-resort testing available - Thinking specifically the LTF for the flights back to the UK at the moment?

Yes they do have. Here is a link to the ADH website with the details

https://www.alpedhuez.com/en/winter/covid/
ski holidays
First day back at work since COVID first struck the ski resorts

I think the snow gods have taken pity after last year and delivered an unbelievable amount of snow!

Sunshine from tomorrow after today's snow storm. Conditions will be great for start of season for the whole area.
snow conditions
Looks epic early season snow. @Alpinebear, please keep the updates coming. Hope the good conditions stay until Christmas week and hoping we can get out there to enjoy
snow report
Hopefully the last of the snow tonight then bring on the sunshine.

Passed about 15 cars at the bottom of the Alpe putting snow chains on.

Problem now in resort is trying to get rid of all the snow for parking as no doubt tomorrow will be busy.

Nice to talk about a start of season positively....what was the name of the poster who enjoyed telling everyone about the lack of snow ....
snow report
Conditions still great in alpe D’huez. Very sunny but still plenty of snow

No flakes forecast for the next 12 days at least tho. With this sun how long will it last?

Enjoying it now tho that’s for sure.
snow conditions
Hard news to take today with the upcoming restrictions for the UK market which was looking good according to the commercial director.

Expecting more bad news when the new variant gets a hold in France.

Will this ever end.
ski holidays
Wasn't expecting so much snow over the last couple of days, around 30 cms down in Bourg. Must be great in resort. COVID isolation for me ends on Friday
ski holidays
Is the Tunnel piste still around this season? I can't see it on the Alpe d'Huez piste openings bulletin: https://bulletin.lumiplan.pro/bulletin.php?station=alpe-d-huez-gd-oz&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
snow report
I took the pic blanc cable car a couple of weeks ago and didn't seem close to opening. Maybe with the latest snow. I'm back at work in a few days so if Ill see if I can find out any news.
ski holidays
@denfinella, last week there wasn't enough snow to cover the rocks at the entrance. A lot of snow over weekend but I understand a lot of pisteurs off with Covid and I think other pistes considered a higher priority
latest report
Thank you both. That's understandable that there are other priorities for the pisteurs. It does seem strange that it doesn't appear at all (even as "Closed") on the piste bulletin.

Last time I skied at Alpe d'Huez, conditions were rubbish and Tunnel was closed along with about half of the rest of the ski area. So I have unfinished business! If things fall into place I might get a chance to revisit for a day later this month.
latest report
Hi, we're looking to take our first family snow holiday and Alpe D'Huez is on the shortlist. I'm looking for recommendations of transfer companies from the airports (probably Lion) to Alpe D'Huez. Especially if it's likely to cost less than £750 return (from Ski-lifts) which at that price is probably a deal breaker at the moment. We are a family of 3 and our daughter is 2 and while not adverse to shared transfers we mainly don't want to spend too much time hanging around (I've looked at Bens Bus and their current schedule doesn't match the flights even close). We haven't booked yet, Lyon offers the most sensible flight times, Grenoble not so much. Chambery via TUI air is an option.

Also wondering about the busses in resort, are they also free for non-skiers?

Lastly, would like to know what childcare options there are in resort? We're looking at this as a winter holiday with some skiing so is it usually the case you have to book for a whole week, since we'd rather only drop her off for 1 or 2 mornings so we can spend time together but also have some time to ourselves.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 18-01-22 13:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@silentice - You could try https://www.findtransfers.com who put the requirement out to local companies and get a range of prices back. We've not yet actually used their providers, but have just made our first booking through them for private transfers to/from Lyon, five people, EUR560 return trip. That's to Oz rather than ADH, but I imagine it would be very similar. Grenoble would be a little cheaper and quicker.

Sorry, can't help on the bus or childcare parts of your question though I'm afraid.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@silentice, Lee is a local based transfer business in Bourg d'Oisans. https://www.alp-venture.com/

Resort busses are free as is the lift across town

Not sure on child care
ski holidays
Regarding childcare, I have heard positive things about the Garderie in Vaujany, which is a much quieter village on the same lift network as Alpe d’Huez. This taxi taxivaujany@orange.fr is usually reasonably priced, but will be considerably cheaper from Grenoble airport.
latest report
@Alpinebear, "Resort busses are free as is the lift across town"

Do you mean the eclose to bergers bubbles ? It is definitely staying free (no Pass required) for the whole season ? I will have a complete beginner / non-skier with me later in the season so just interested.
snow conditions
Looks that way @skitow

https://skipass.alpedhuez.com/hiver/en/1-to-10-day-pedestrian-passes/
latest report
silentice wrote:
Hi, we're looking to take our first family snow holiday and Alpe D'Huez is on the shortlist. I'm looking for recommendations of transfer companies from the airports (probably Lion) to Alpe D'Huez. Especially if it's likely to cost less than £750 return (from Ski-lifts) which at that price is probably a deal breaker at the moment. We are a family of 3 and our daughter is 2 and while not adverse to shared transfers we mainly don't want to spend too much time hanging around.

Car hire about £300 + for the week ? 40€ fuel and 25€ Tolls. Still some free parking in ADH although would not be easy to find in HT.
latest report
Thanks all, some great things to take away and look into. Alp Venture straight away brings it down considerably vs ski-lifts. Shame the taxi actually makes it cheaper to get a package holiday.. so that's another option.

Quote:

Car hire about £300 + for the week ? 40€ fuel and 25€ Tolls. Still some free parking in ADH although would not be easy to find in HT.

Thankfully going in March not at HT. We previously looked into it and didn't find a car that keen factoring in car seat, snow chains, I have a board so need a car that can accommodate, navigating hairpins and unburying and starting a frozen car after a week. Since we can't predict the weather we don't have the stomach for it for our first trip abroad with a kid. If the weather is clear then it's a good shout and would be our first choice in summer!
snow conditions
Question about lift passes. If I want to buy a lift pass online and start from Allemond (Eau d'Olle Express), do I need to buy it from the Oz en Oisans website, Alpe d'Huez website or doesn't it matter?
ski holidays
@denfinella, Allemond is part of Oz & Vaujany so buy it from their website. We get this problem a lot when people buy a Oz & Vaujany ski pass(promo Saturday) and they come to Alpe d'Huez to start skiing and we have to send then back to Oz & Vaujany so they can start their ski pass.
latest report
Great, thanks!
ski holidays
Having read this I thought I should have a look at getting to Alpe D'Huez from Chambery in March. There are 7 of us going for 2 weeks, so I assumed a private transfer would come in loads cheaper, but the difference between transfer and car hire isn't that bad!

Transfer with Alp Venture is 600 euro
Hire car (9 seat van) £940 inc all the insurance extras.

As we are self catering and have a covered parking space included with the acccomadation just for the ease of lugging shopping / wine / beer etc around, and stocking up in the valley on route, to me the hire option looks good. I'm used to driving in the Alps in winter, fitting chains etc so that doesn't worry me.

Anyway, just shared this out of interest!
latest report
Hi all,

Looking at potentially moving our March trip this year to ADH.

Found a lovely apartment in Auris en Oisans. A stones throw from the lifts. I can see there is a bit of skiing on this side, but I’d imagine most days we’d want to venture off into the main area of ADH. Is this realistic from Auris?

We are planning to go first week of March. Has ADH is reasonably high I’m guessing the pistes should be in good condition, along with some nice blue skies!
snow conditions
@Fridge03, yes, easy to get to the whole area from Auris.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy