Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2021/22

Poster: A snowHead
@buchanan101, yes the queue for the old Penkenbahn was not very nice by all accounts, when I first went to Mayrhofen I’d heard of it so I got out early in preparation.
They did a cracking job of replacing that Penkenbahn though.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peter w wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, May I take you up on your kind offer and ask for recommendations for mountain restaurants and apre spots. Bearing in mind we are two OAP's although quite fit OAP's and happy skiing off piste but not sure about table dancing! Many thanks once again.

Hmm. Well I’m probably not the best on apres ski spots to be honest because I’m an unsociable cow Laughing , someone else on here will be, but a lot of people (not really teens or 20s the clientele are probably older than that) cafe opposite the Penkenbahn called the Happy End Cafe. I liked it in there as it wasn’t ‘manic’. Just a nice spot to have a couple of drinks at the end of the day. Not loud just very pleasant.

Next door to that there’s this butchers sort of place which sells these meat rolls for about €3.
One of them is just the job after skiing before you go in the cafe so I’d recommend you pop in there.

There’s lots of nice cafes and bars on down the street from there.
The table dancing thing isn’t happening this season I don’t think unless anything has changed since December. It’s table service/seated service only still I think.
At the top of the Horbergbahn there is a nice restaurant bar there for a drink before you get the gondola down (the Penkenbahn was closed when I was there in December so that was the only option to get off the mountain that week so I went in there every afternoon more or less).

In Zell am Ziller there are some bars at the very bottom.

Kaltenbach there’s that S’Chic I mentioned before.

Mountain restaurants, oooh I couldn’t even tell you the names of them to be honest but I don’t think there are any duds at all.
Someone else will probably be able to give you names I just turn up eat and go.

In Hintertux (definitely get the bus there for a day sometime) there’s a restaurant bar behind the bar opposite the base station. God knows what it’s called but they do nice kebab type wraps in there and pasta as well.
The bar connected to it is quite nice as well again not really banging or anything.
You can’t go far wrong really with any of it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Slightly concerned about lift queues myself, so planning on getting an early lift at the Penkenbahn. I've skied mainly in the Monterosa area in Italy in recent years where queues are rare, so I think I'm a bit spoilt! Not sure how busy week beginning March 12 will be in Mayrhofen, not too bad, I hope.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@J2R, there aren’t queues anymore at the Penkenbahn really since they put that new massive gondola in so don’t worry.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@J2R, there aren’t queues anymore at the Penkenbahn really since they put that new massive gondola in so don’t worry.

Are they running enclosed cabins at 100% though?

Always worth an early lift.

There are two other ways up to the Penken area - involve a bus. Actually it's three now isn't it, a new access lift (and run down) behind the Horberg area?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 2-02-22 14:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@VolklAttivaS5, so there's no need to get there early to beat the mad 9am rush? (Don't tell Mrs J2R, as this is my pretext to get out there early rather than wasting valuable skiing time lounging around in bed).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
J2R wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, so there's no need to get there early to beat the mad 9am rush? (Don't tell Mrs J2R, as this is my pretext to get out there early rather than wasting valuable skiing time lounging around in bed).

Don't blame you - best time!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@J2R, I’m normally there by 9 anyway if not 9.30 at the latest but no I don’t think I’ve queued Puzzled and even if I did it wasn’t for long Puzzled
With that said I don’t normally go up the Penkenbahn on the weekends I go elsewhere that first ski day after arriving on the Sat (usually).
Feb is the busiest month and New Year week so when you’re going it’s quieter anyway (and even more so this year really as there’s not so many people bothering with the travelling compared to usual!)

Yeah just tell Mrs J2R there’s queues if that suits!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@J2R, if you get that 8.20 bus to the Rosenalmbahn in Zell am Ziller you won’t be queuing that’s for sure.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Has anyone here stayed in Schwendau/Ramsau/Hippach before instead of Mayrhofen town itself?
It’s just I was going through there on the bus back to Aschau from Mayrhofen one afternoon in December and it looked a nice spot but I’d never stayed there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@VolklAttivaS5, Travel restrictions are easing - it may be that March and April are busier than usual with late bookings (though BA cancelled my original Innsbruck flights in April which I think may have been a bit hasty)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
buchanan101 wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Always worth an early lift.

There are two other ways up to the Penken area - involve a bus. Actually it's three now isn't it, a new access lift (and run down) behind the Horberg area?

Not sure because it was closed in Dec when I was there
The Horbergbahn though didn’t have any restrictions on how many could get in there subject to the usual maximum weight as long as they had FFP2 masks on. To be honest there were so few people around I had a gondola to myself pretty much every time!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@VolklAttivaS5, that's my plan too, take the ski bus or train to a quieter area for the Sunday, our first day. Probably only have to go a few minutes down the road.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@drporat, rather far away? Puzzled It’s 4 minutes walk, 290 yards?
It doesn’t take very long to walk from end to end in Mayrhofen.

My bad, I meant 10 min. to Panken.
I like staying in the middle of the action and the noise, and then to walk the least early in the mornings
Thanks for all the help
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
buchanan101 wrote:

yep jump in where you can, face masks not enforced on the lifts either
ski holidays
J2R wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, so there's no need to get there early to beat the mad 9am rush?

pre book your lift pass on line. I used my current Espace killy season pass. Its all from the same pass/software provider you just have to use the code on the bottom of the pass. we walked straight through no drama
snow conditions
When you prebook your lift pass, what happens? Do you collect something in the resort, waiting for you? Actually, we're there early on Saturday and will have plenty of time to get the lift pass then. (Depending on how promptly we arrive, might even manage a bit of skiing in the afternoon. There has to be some compensation for a 6am flight!).
snow conditions
@J2R, I prebooked mine online, I had to upload the boosted cv qr code. ticked the box to say I already had a lift pass(which is my tignes/vdi one but my Zakopane lift pass also would have worked). it worked without ever having to do anything else. you can however collect from a vending machine I believe. The q for the lift passes was horrendous on Sunday.
ski holidays
Thanks. I'll just pick it up Saturday afternoon, shouldn't be too bad.
snow conditions
@Mother hucker, the hotel I am going to in Zell am See says they can sort lift passes. Many hotels do. Maybe it’ll still have to be validated though?
snow conditions
J2R wrote:
When you prebook your lift pass, what happens? Do you collect something in the resort, waiting for you? Actually, we're there early on Saturday and will have plenty of time to get the lift pass then. (Depending on how promptly we arrive, might even manage a bit of skiing in the afternoon. There has to be some compensation for a 6am flight!).

If you are flying to Innsbruck and going to Mayrhofen you’ll be on the slopes by noon. It’s an hour’s drive.
ski holidays
Zell am ziller was ace today. out a bit late as had work dramas to deal with, so missed all the easier pickings. In the trees was dreamy.
How does the snow hold up April time here?
ski holidays
Hi Zillertal experts.
I'm booked onto a 2 day trip into Innsbruck at the start of March (Friday to Sunday) with my wife- reasonable piste skiers. We were initially going to head straight for one of the close Innsbruck areas to maximise ski time, but a good looking hotel deal has come up in Fugen.

I was thinking we could go straight from the airport (10am arrival) to the train station and catch the train the Kaltenbach. Hire skies at or near the base station and ski through until lift closure. Catch the bus back to Fugen with skies.
The next day up first thing and catch an early bus to the Fugen area (don't they open lifts early in Zillertal?). Get some early runs in before skiing down to the bus to Hoch Zillertal. Spend the rest of the day on that side before skiing back to the ski hire shop in Kaltenbach and the bus/ train to Fugen again.
Our flight on Sunday is at 11 so I might be tempted to cab back to ensure a stress free departure.

Does this sound plausible or am I biting off a bit much? Staying close to Innsbruck makes for an easier life but less diverse skiing.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice
snow report
Don’t know about trains but Innsbruck Airport to Mayrhofen by car is only an hour so a taxi both ways to Fugen may not be too bad (and much cheaper than car rental this year). I have a return from Salzburg to Zell booked by taxi at £220 through Booking.com
snow conditions
@EdYarker, That sounds like a cunning plan!
Depending on timings and connections, it can be about 1.5 hrs from Innsbruck Airport to Fügen by train and costs about a tenner one way, I think.
(Just checked the prices... €14.40 one way)
Leaving on Sunday afternoon from Kaltenbach - I'd take the train. There's usually a slow queue of traffic leaving Zillertal on Sunday afternoon. I'm pretty sure the train would be quicker, at least as far as Jenbach.
Cool I've just re-read your info. You're leaving on Sunday morning? Personally, I'd be happy to take the train. They start early enough to get you to the airport in time and there has to be something exceptional for them not to be punctual. Of course, a taxi would be easier.
Which hotel are you looking at in Fügen? Fügen is on a hill, everything is uphill from the railway station.
The main gondola in Kaltenbach/Hochzillertal opens at 07:30, most other lifts open at 08:30.
You can organise your ski hire at Sport Stock in the gondola station at Kaltenbach.

The only potential problem is if the weather is windy. Occasionally, the link lifts between Hochzillertal and Hochfügen are closed due to wind, so you wouldn't be able to ski over. If that happened, you could get the bus down from Hochfügen to Fügen, then train to Kaltenbach to take your skis back. Of course, you'd have to keep your eye on the lifts and the time!
It's not closed often, but when it is there are lots of confused people looking for ways back to Kaltenbach.

I hope that helps!
ski holidays
@Mother hucker,
Quote:

How does the snow hold up April time here?

Zell is on the sunny side, so not so great.
Most of the Zillertal areas close one or two weeks after Easter - not due to lack of snow, but due to lack of people.
Hintertux can be good in April.
ski holidays
Hintertux was prime today: still plenty of fresh lines to be had on the more northerly aspects and the snow is in great shape. Wind pack up high and a little crusty in the sun but each run today we skied boot deep+ powder.
ski holidays
Was in Hochfugen today, and conditions were excellent. It felt like there'd been maybe 15 to 20 cms of fresh snow in the last few days, which was more than I was expecting. We found good powder off-piste off most lifts, and this was our first time in Zillertal, so were only going on what was easily visible
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EdYarker, Not an expert but was there two weeks ago. And guess what? The Austrians have a proper, efficient, integrated cheap public transport system. We left Tux at 06.06 on the local bus with heavy snowfall, connected as scheduled to the Zillertal train to Jenbach, and were in Munich Airport at 09.30. Total transport costs £16 per person.
snow report
We transferred from Arabba to Mayrhofen/Hintertux 7th-11th. What a huge contrast! Fantastic powder skiing and some slopes untracked even till the 10th (there was new fresh snow on the 11th)
ski holidays
@snowball, great isn’t it!
latest report
Hi all,

Looking at booking Mayrhofen for last minute trip for the 5th March. Found a nice right by the Horbergbahn lift. How are the slopes looking at the moment? Any fresh stuff on the horizon?
snow conditions
@Fridge03, on the cams the conditions look amazing. Seems to have been dump after dump the last few weeks. Enjoy!
snow conditions
@Fridge03, We had some new snow a couple of days ago. The pistes are in tip top condition at the moment. There's no snow in the forecast for the next week, but it should be reasonably cold so the snow should stay in good condition.
ski holidays
Thanks @Matrix, @SaraJ

Heading out on Saturday for our first ever visit so can’t wait! Flying into Munich and driving a rental to resort so we can go shopping on the way.
ski holidays
Quote:

Flying into Munich and driving a rental to resort so we can go shopping on the way.

Do you mean food shopping?
There are a few supermarkets in Mayrhofen which are well stocked and are the same price as any supermarket that you'll pass on the way. The concept of doing a big shop in a hypermarket in the valley before you get to resort is not necessary here.
latest report
@Fridge03, I’d agree with SaraJ. The supermarkets in Mayrhofen are good and they are also open on Sundays (well 2 of the 3 Spars are, but with reduced hours) there is also a Billa which is open on a Sunday morning.
I mention Sundays because where I am now outside of Zillertal (Westendorf) both of the supermarkets are closed all day on a Sunday.
ski holidays
Hi everyone. Heading to Mayrhofen on Wednesday. Never been before. Bought a ski pass on the Zillertal app to collect from the machines. When I get the physical pass is it at that point I need to register my 3G status using the Safe2Ski website? Looking at the process it asks for you to enter a ticket number (presume that’s the ski pass number). Once this step is complete what happens next? Thanks for any advice.
snow report
Thanks for the advice regarding shopping. Wanted to get some bits on the Saturday based on our last trip to Switzerland where we arrived on the Sunday and everything we went past was shut.....

Weather is still looking reasonably settled for the next week or so. Looks like there may be a fresh dusting this weekend perhaps?
ski holidays
Only time I've seen all the shops shut in Mayrhofen is Easter Sunday and Monday.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy