Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2021/22

Poster: A snowHead
@JimboS, definitely - we came hoping for fresh snow while expecting slush and 2pm finishes, but even today we were downloading at 3:30 and that was on the limit. When the snow is constantly grabbing your skis and threatening a face plant on a red run it's time to pack it in, but not before.

14 degrees today, but forecast to be significantly colder tomorrow with -2 on top, +4 in the middle, and maybe an occasional flurry of light snow
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got freshies on Ahorn this morning. We were probably the first punters up the hill on the 7:45 cable car. There'd been ~5cm of snow last night, which was just about enough to not cut through on blue slope gradients, and we just lapped the 8SB Ahorn chair for about an hour with no-one else around.

The freezing limit last nigh was at maybe 1750m; the top quarter of the run down to the 6SB Ebenwald was still powder, but after that it was back to icy pistes.

Looks like a mix of sun, snow, cloud and rain tomorrow (Friday), then colder and a decent amount of snow Friday night and Saturday morning
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We spent the morning on Penken and then relocated up to Rastkogel to get better conditions. 5-10cm of fresh first thing was lovely until it got cut up and turned to slush, with the run down to Katzenmoos idyllic until it turned to boilerplate where the overnight freezing line had been, with rain falling below and then freezing hard.

Fairly soft conditions at the end of the day, but overall a good day. Off to Hintertux on Friday for our last day, with a forecast of -5 on top but +2 mid mountain, and with light snow and a moderate breeze it may work out to be a good day if it doesn't mean limited visibility.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely more wintry the last couple of days. Yesterday at Mayrhofen there was a few centimeters of fresh snow, but not sticking to the ice below. I think the sequence on Friday night was pistes bashed, then some rain (freezing level was ~2500m), then the temperature dropped, then it snowed
Today at Hochzillertal there was more fresh snow; maybe 10cm in places, and this time the previous snow would have been bashed, so much less icy underneath. Overall, very good conditions. It was also snowing down to the valley floor around 9:00
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowheads- How late can you leave it to download on the penkenbahn. Will they leave you behind? Is there another way down?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GarryC, last descent is 5pm. Yes, they will leave you behind as they have no way to track everyone on the mountain as some people will have walked up - that said, the staff from the alms and the other lifts will be on their way down as well, and it may run a few minutes later, but I wouldn't risk it. Most of the alms are pretty good at telling you that the lifts are closing and you must leave now.

There are roads and a footpath down from Penken to Astegg and onward to Finkenberg or Burgstall, but they contour across the side of the hill a lot and even in walking boots that would be a 2 hour walk at least and more likely 3+ especially if it is getting dark. You might persuade a taxi company to come and pick you up, but it would be a long shot.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
There are roads and a footpath down from Penken to Astegg and onward to Finkenberg
I stayed in Finkenberg on my first ever foreign ski hol in Dec 1988. At that time, there was a marked ski run - via a forest track - back down to Finkenberg. It was even possible to ski down through the field (probably very unofficially wink) below the bottom gondola station. That field was built on years ago.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mountainaddict, that ski route was still open in the late 2000s, but then disappeared from the maps because it was rarely open due to lack of snow. Even when it _was_ open, there were rocks, bare patches, and ski school instructors racing down it at the end of each day, so it wasn't for the faint-hearted.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hero snow in Hintertux today Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Hero snow in Hintertux today
Marvellous! Two sleeps until our week-long final fling on our Tirol Snow Cards Very Happy

May or may not end up at Hintertux as we fancy a bit of variety - and four of the five glaciers that we have to go at are a bit further west (Stubai, Sölden, Kaunertal and Pitztal).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just returned from Hintertux, pretty good conditions. Made short clip, enjoy Smile

http://youtube.com/v/YqVDNmZSVRA
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks amazing for this time of year
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks great.

Does anyone know what date in December the Rastkogelbahn is usually open?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone know of the guiding outfit Snow'n'Rock guiding in the Zillertal?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@VolklAttivaS5, https://www.tux.at/en/infrastructure/infrasctructure/rastkogelbahn/ - was planned to open on 12th December 2021. There's a webcam archive available at https://webtv.feratel.com/webtv/?design=v3&cam=5554&c2=0 (the three bars on the bottom left opens the menu, then select Archive, then Year, then navigate to 12th December). You can see most of the lifts running, but the main uplift is obscured by the lift building.
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, thanks
snow report
@Mother hucker, I have used him couple of times and wouldn’t use again. First time private day tour (good day I just wanted him to show me a route I didn’t feel comfortable taking without a guide) and second time a group freeride day. I wouldn’t use again because the group was too large in my view and I felt he sacrificed safely over money (just my personal view and I should have asked the size of the group before I booked) I managed to break my leg on the day, of course ultimately my fault, but he really couldn’t monitor the group properly. He called for someone to pick me up but no follow up email, text or call the next day to see how I was or even that I got to hospital ok. Felt his level of technical knowledge was strong, but level of care / thought for me was not what I wanted.
snow conditions
The guys in the Green Room recommended me Bernhard Neumann at MountainSports
ski holidays
@Matrix, That doesn't sound great at all, maybe I'll dodge that one then.
The green room you'd like to think would have the skinny in the area on guides etc I'll try Mountain sports
snow report
I'll be in the Z valley for Feb half term. how bad is the traffic driving in to the valley at busy periods?
snow report
@Mother hucker, I never try to leave the valley on Saturdays in high season. The queue starts earlier than it used to because people leave early to beat the traffic. On a high season Saturday, you probably need to look at arriving before lunch or after about 8pm. And leaving before 8am or mid afternoon before the day trippers are leaving.

Saying that, we've noticed this summer that more hotels have been doing Sun. - Sun. as a way to spread the traffic out. If that continues in winter then it will be an improvement.
Also, some accommodation are saying that people are booking short stays, so that will help the Saturday traffic too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy