Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2021/22 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
We’ll she made it - just! The Easy Jet flight was late, and then had to abort the landing and go around as there was another plane on the runway (!!!), which took another 20 minutes, and then it turned out she could only buy the tickets at the airport on the Swiss side. But she got on the train with 12 minutes to spare.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are in Val Thorens and it feels very quiet on the slopes - which are holding up extremely well.

Yes - it feels like mid April rather than mid March but conditions remain great, especially higher up (despite no snow for a month. They really do a fantastic job of piste maintenance). We skied down to St Martin today at 2pm and didn't hit any slush until we reached the top of St Martin 1 lift, at 1800m. Below that it was still great fun on a very quiet run with some lovely slush bumps lower down Very Happy .

2 days ago we had the afternoon in Orelle, with great conditions - and the place to ourselves. We took the last lift out of Orelle (Rosael chair) at 4.40 pm and skied back to Val Thorens on completely deserted runs. It was amazing! It felt like our own, private mountain.Very Happy

We love skiing here at this time of the season. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bergmeister, re your previous question, colleagues skied the Gebroulaz second half of last week and it was in good condition...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bergmeister, nice to hear - I can't believe there won't be a dump between now and when we go to 9th April
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, meteofrance currently showing more unstable weather from 30th (March).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
offpisteskiing wrote:

It's great that there may be more snow on the horizon, though the news is bitter/sweet, as we go home on 1st April. rolling eyes

However, we return to VT for 11 days, 2 weeks after that - for our final fling of the season. Fingers crossed for some big snowfalls before then! wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
@Bergmeister, nice to hear - I can't believe there won't be a dump between now and when we go to 9th April
Also looking to the snow gods to bless us with more snow. Arriving in St Martin on 10th.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing wrote:

As is normal with this time of year and given the recent warm weather, any new snow will, unfortunately, be short lived. But piste conditions are still great (time of the day and aspect crucial) and the sun is shining.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@franga, indeed, but any new snow will be most welcome, even if short-lived!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Exhibit A from the end of March a few years ago - I'll take it, even if it goes heavy within a few days...!

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
any recommendations for restaurants that provide more than just a token vegetarian dish at lunchtime?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Copina-the fab Tapas place in Courchevel 1650 does a superb veggie tapas sharing board

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 24-03-22 20:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.copina.fr/courchevel/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
National youth championships over in les Menuires today, if you fancy spotting a future world champion
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arriving this Saturday 2nd April in VT and it's hard to say who is more excited: me or my 13 yo daughter. We will just be grateful for anything we can get as she has missed out since 2019. Ever the optimist, snow chains are in the car boot Very Happy
ski holidays
Arriving Saturday night into Meribel. Will be around for a fortnight. Family will be in ski school for large portions of this so would be keen to ski off piste with like minded individuals if folks are about.
snow report
Will be in St Martin from Sunday with wife and adult daughter. Wife and me would be up for some off-piste skiing.
snow conditions
We'll be in VT from Sun as well, while I'm at it - to get in we need a digital pass locator form and a french declaration doc still as well as Vacc proof (loaded onto TaC)?
snow report
orange wrote:
We'll be in VT from Sun as well, while I'm at it - to get in we need a digital pass locator form and a french declaration doc still as well as Vacc proof (loaded onto TaC)?

Check with the operator you are travelling with. Eurotunnel asks for declaration and Vac certificate to be uploaded to the booking.
ski holidays
Yeah flying into GVA on Sun - had a look and that's what I worked out was required. Vacc status only for Switzerland.
ski holidays
orange wrote:

We were in VT last week. Flew in via GVA. All that was required was the French declaration and proof of vaccination - neither were ever checked. Nothing required for return to England.
snow report
282 miles to go on our drive down, occasional dustings of snow en route. How are the roads this morning? Satnav suggests issues around Chambéry.
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
282 miles to go on our drive down, occasional dustings of snow en route. How are the roads this morning? Satnav suggests issues around Chambéry.

Did you cross via Eurotunnel? If so, how was access to the terminal along the M20? Travelling down on Sunday.
latest report
@Bassman, M20 was closed junction 8-9 so we were diverted to the A20. It was fine for us at 5am, but we were on a 6.20am shuttle, so don’t know how later travellers were affected. Meanwhile the initial Satnav time estimate for the drive from Calais to St M was over 10 hours. We ignored the alternative routes and took the usual one via Chambéry. Apart from a minor queue at the péage in Chambéry, any traffic issues had cleared. The road up to St M wasn’t snowy and our overall drive from home was no more than 10 mins longer than normal.
Perhaps there’s less snow here than forecast. I’d say around the village it’s about 10-12cm, but it has been falling on warmed up bare ground and the roads are completely clear. It’s foggy, with flakes still falling gently.
Should be fun tomorrow!
ski holidays
Perty wrote:
@Bassman, M20 was closed junction 8-9 so we were diverted to the A20. It was fine for us at 5am, but we were on a 6.20am shuttle, so don’t know how later travellers were affected. Meanwhile the initial Satnav time estimate for the drive from Calais to St M was over 10 hours. We ignored the alternative routes and took the usual one via Chambéry. Apart from a minor queue at the péage in Chambéry, any traffic issues had cleared. The road up to St M wasn’t snowy and our overall drive from home was no more than 10 mins longer than normal.
Perhaps there’s less snow here than forecast. I’d say around the village it’s about 10-12cm, but it has been falling on warmed up bare ground and the roads are completely clear. It’s foggy, with flakes still falling gently.
Should be fun tomorrow!

Many thanks for the info. On the 6:20 tomorrow.
ski holidays
Perty,

How long will you be there? We are heading back out in a couple of weeks Very Happy .

Are you planning any more touring? Puzzled
snow report
Not the best start to our holiday - checkin this AM turned round and my 9 year old is unconscious on the floor ! Came round but quite unwell then started being sick. So that’s that for our holiday - she’s fine we think EDIT: She is seeing a Doc in a couple of hours, edited so i appeared like less of a heartless bug !. She had a bit of a bug last week but seemed to have recovered - clearly not ! Hope the travel insurance comes to the party. Such a shame as she has been absolutely hanging out to go skiing for the last almost 2 years.
snow report
Spent a reasonable powder day sorting the kids out and ensuring lessons happened. An investment in the future more than anything else.

Conditions exceptional for early April except on very low pistes in the Meribel valley where the melt freeze is showing through the new snow. But otherwise fantastic.

May have grossly overestimated the amount of personal ski time I am going to get shuttling around small people and older relatives. Will put up a flag here if/when I get a day off.

Slightly concerned by the forecast for later in the week. Looks apocalyptic and quite a proportion may fall as rain.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Superb morning. 12-18 inches of fresh snow up high. We managed first tracks down to Le Raffort (closed piste but pretty good coverage of new snow for 90% of the way down, but I don’t think I’d ski it tomorrow) and then were in the first dozen or so on the Olympic chair as it opened just after 10. Headed down the black (knee deep), then off down the route of the red run back to Le Raffort.

Up to the top of Creux, by which time the OP in the free ride area had got heavy. Yours truly managed a somersault falling on her wrist which is now strapped up in a wrist support (a mere €64.90 in the pharmacy in 1650.. Shocked ). Good lunch, then the pistes were harder work on the way back, but Jerusalem was fab. Finished with Irish coffee at La Loy. They knew our order before we asked.. Very Happy
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
Superb morning. 12-18 inches of fresh snow up high. We managed first tracks down to Le Raffort (closed piste but pretty good coverage of new snow for 90% of the way down, but I don’t think I’d ski it tomorrow) and then were in the first dozen or so on the Olympic chair as it opened just after 10. Headed down the black (knee deep), then off down the route of the red run back to Le Raffort.

Up to the top of Creux, by which time the OP in the free ride area had got heavy. Yours truly managed a somersault falling on her wrist which is now strapped up in a wrist support (a mere €64.90 in the pharmacy in 1650.. Shocked ). Good lunch, then the pistes were harder work on the way back, but Jerusalem was fab. Finished with Irish coffee at La Loy. They knew our order before we asked.. Very Happy

Sorry to hear about your spill and hope you are still able to ski. The €65 bionic wrist support will hopefully do the trick.

It's great that you got some some fantastic snow conditions. I'm not jealous in the least, after travelling home on Friday after 3 snowless weeks. No. Not jealous at all... wink

That's 35 days there since January for us... and no powder rolling eyes .
(Whinge disclaimer: I do realise how lucky we are to get so many days on snow - but the odd powder day wouldn't be bad... wink )
latest report
If anyone has boot problems I can highly recommend the Boot Lab in Meribel (also in Moriond). https://thebootlab.co.uk/
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:

It's case of how's your luck. We went Christmas week and are out next week and it looks we've got lucky on both counts.

But we've had bad years too.

35 days is going some though.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
Bergmeister wrote:

It's case of how's your luck. We went Christmas week and are out next week and it looks we've got lucky on both counts.

But we've had bad years too.

35 days is going some though.

Mind, we did have 2 great powder days there in mid December (so 2 out of 49, in total in the 3Vs; or 2 out of 60 if we also count our Zermatt and Slovakia trips... rolling eyes)

I hope you get lucky next week and the good forecast materialises. Very Happy
snow report
@Bergmeister, Snow Forecast shows 50+ cm Thu-Sat!

That would do for me!

But could easily change between now and then.
snow report
Boot deep fresh snow off the top of the cime de caron today, although it required a walk and some non technical scrambling. Was good for about 500 vertical metres and then became very variable.

Everyone I have spoken to is expecting snowpocalypse between Wednesday night and Sunday morning. Sunday could be epic but we could equally see avalanche risk that is off the chain. Rain likely below 2000m or thereabouts.
ski holidays
Driving down to Meribel Villge on Friday night for first sliding in two years - very excited by the forecast….

Can’t wait snowHead
latest report
gorilla wrote:
Everyone I have spoken to is expecting snowpocalypse between Wednesday night and Sunday morning.

Over exuberance I think based on Snow Forecast which is showing light snow from Wed eve until Sat afternoon with only a proper dollop Thursday night. Less than 50cm in total over 3 days. Not to be sniffed at and very welcome but not crazy.

gorilla wrote:
Sunday could be epic but we could equally see avalanche risk that is off the chain. Rain likely below 2000m or thereabouts.

Temps well down on Saturday night so I reckon Sunday morning if Clear as forecast should be marvelous. The worry is the temps coming up on Monday.

We'll take what comes.
snow report
@Layne, have you looked at the GFS? The precipitation spike is above the temperature line. That doesn't happen very often.
latest report
@gorilla, you've lost me Laughing Laughing

The implications?
latest report
@Layne, potentially for lots of precipitation basically on the 8th/9th and models in pretty strong agreement. Only thing is it might be r*** lower down depending on the temp as the same GFS run has temps between zero and +5 at 1500m
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy