Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2021/22 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
sparkzter wrote:
Any news on the potential bubble from Bozel? I’m sure I saw something pre covid that it was looking much more likely?

There were quite positive noises being made pre-covid, not sure what the current situation is - will have to check the Bozel council minutes as those things tend to show up there... (though all they need really is a more regular bus service to le Praz...).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@offpisteskiing, thanks for that. Hope they do put one in. Or like you said, more buses.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
does anyone know if the slope from Place Caron down to Pioneers will be open this year? It's shut at the moment due to the snowboard thingy being built

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 18-10-21 19:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Oleski, what are they building? Surely one side of the magic carpet has to be open as it's the only way to get to those lower slopes?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Massive new auditorium and leisure centre due to open 2023 I think. For sure they'll stop construction when the snow comes and reopen the boarded up parts to create the usual piste access.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Handy Turnip, they are building a new sports centre with an ice rink on top - visible on the webcam.

That's the question basically, if they don't open either side, how does everyone get down. It's a pretty long walk to Cairn
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Oleski, ahhh of course.. the ice rink, I forgot about that.

They'll definitely open one of those sides, I don't think the resort functions otherwise (famous last words!).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oleski wrote:
@Handy Turnip, they are building a new sports centre with an ice rink on top - visible on the webcam.

That's the question basically, if they don't open either side, how does everyone get down. It's a pretty long walk to Cairn

Had a quick look at the webcams today and I see what you mean, it appears that they still have quite a bit to do! I've no doubt that they can get it all done by opening day in a months time, but they must be aware that they are fighting against the weather. It wouldn't be unusual for it to start dumping down in a couple of weeks...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First snowmaking in VT overnight snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi guys, I have a quick early season trip to VT booked from 3 – 8 December... I read that there should be a good amount of runs open by then?

Looking at the webcams it all still looks very un-snowy... should I be worried at all?

(Not to mention any otential Covid border closures, fingers crossed for that one)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cav wrote:
Hi guys, I have a quick early season trip to VT booked from 3 – 8 December... I read that there should be a good amount of runs open by then?

Looking at the webcams it all still looks very un-snowy... should I be worried at all?

(Not to mention any otential Covid border closures, fingers crossed for that one)

No, its only october.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cav wrote:

They've just started making snow and the season opening is on 20th of November. There will definitely be some open runs by early December. How many and of what quality - too early to say.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@cav, you should be more worried about the 5000 students descending from Oxford and Cambridge for their annual inter-varsity racing, and party season... 4th - 10th.

(MiniRoll was 5134th on the list and missed out. Confess, I'm not unduly concerned about that)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Season passes have been released - not sure if that means they won’t be connected to the pass sanitaire?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I see VT is opening on 20 November, but Orelle side not until 4 December. Does anyone know if the new Orelle-Cime Caron cable car will be running on 20 Nov to access VT from the valley?
snow report
Is there usually a public GS course set up anywhere in the 3 V's? You know the type, pay a couple of €'s to have a timed run down the course.
latest report
swskier wrote:
Is there usually a public GS course set up anywhere in the 3 V's? You know the type, pay a couple of €'s to have a timed run down the course.

Not all the time, but the ESF do run a Fleche once or twice a week in each resort that you can pay about 10 Euro to enter. It is like a proper race though with inspection and then wait for your bib number so will take you an hour or two as opposed to rock up when you like, pay money and do your run a minute or two later
latest report
swskier wrote:

I am not aware of GS, but there is 'normal' slalom in Courchevel - BMW xDrive Cup
snow report
@swskier, The last time I was in Val Thorens there was a Fleche (GS) and Chamois (Slalom) every day. That was around Easter though, I wouldn't expect the same in low season. You needed to pay in advance at the tourist office.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@swskier, be *very* *very* careful giving any form of instruction in France!

What do you mean by this - I'll be there with a newbie buddy in Jan - it is my intention to help him out and get him up to speed
Is there an issue with that or is this some sort of "we run the schools around here" thing?
snow report
elefantfresh wrote:
kitenski wrote:
@swskier, be *very* *very* careful giving any form of instruction in France!

What do you mean by this - I'll be there with a newbie buddy in Jan - it is my intention to help him out and get him up to speed
Is there an issue with that or is this some sort of "we run the schools around here" thing?

Technically it's illegal, unless you have a valid qualification. The French are very touchy about this subject.
snow conditions
@elefantfresh, paid instruction (including being paid by benefits in kind) without the correct licence is a criminal offence. But nobody will care about one holidaymaker helping a fellow holidaymaker if you're part of the same group. It's perfectly legal (and normal) to help out friends and family as a volunteer.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 27-10-21 11:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Ah ok - I was slightly concerned there when I read that - thank you both for the swift reply - much appreciated folks
latest report
@swskier, entering some fléche races is your best option. Book via ESF or Tourist Office the day before. It's a proper course setup with a timing circuit and calibrated results. For example:

Courchevel 1850
https://www.skischoolcourchevel.co.uk/registration-for-tests-fleche-and-chamois/

La Tania
https://www.ski-school-la-tania.co.uk/latest-news/fleche-slalom
snow report
Out of interest does anyone know if there would there be an insurance issue with entering these races?
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
@cav, you should be more worried about the 5000 students descending from Oxford and Cambridge for their annual inter-varsity racing, and party season... 4th - 10th.

I was caught up with all the students from Oxford and Cambridge in Tignes a few years ago. It was really wonderful, as I met quite a few of them in gondolas and restaurants etc, and had some really fascinating conversations as they are so smart and interesting. Mr. Green
latest report
pieman666 wrote:
Out of interest does anyone know if there would there be an insurance issue with entering these races?
You won't have any issue with Carte Neige, for travel insurance read the small print. I "think" as a rule recreational racing is covered, professional racing isn't but it's a bit like off-piste skiing on your own - some may cover it, some won't.
snow report
davehas wrote:
I see VT is opening on 20 November, but Orelle side not until 4 December. Does anyone know if the new Orelle-Cime Caron cable car will be running on 20 Nov to access VT from the valley?
It's an Orelle sector lift so no it won't. It should open on 4 December but that's not guaranteed - first two weeks of the season always have reduced lift capacity so they may only run the Rosael chair for one or both of those weeks.

They can't run just the new gondola because there's no blue runs off it, it would have to be both lifts or just the chair. My bet would be that they will test it for the first week and open it to the public on 11 December.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowrider, @Oleski, @rjs, @rob@rar, thanks all for the tips. Will look in to that.
snow report
swskier wrote:
@snowrider, @Oleski, @rjs, @rob@rar, thanks all for the tips. Will look in to that.
A friend of mine did regular fléche races as part of the training he did towards passing the Eurotest.
snow conditions
Wondering if anyone could help with pubs restaurants in Courcheval 1550 (now Courcheval Village). We are a group of guys going for a 4 night break. Are their pubs/bars in Courcheval 1550?
snow report
FrediKanoute wrote:
Wondering if anyone could help with pubs restaurants in Courcheval 1550 (now Courcheval Village). We are a group of guys going for a 4 night break. Are their pubs/bars in Courcheval 1550?
Nothing with a reputation to speak of. Most likely Grangettes will be open in the evenings so you could be in 1850 in 6 minutes but there's a limit to cheap/interesting places there too. Probably best to take the free bus (runs till 1.30am approx) and drink in C1650 where you have the Boulotte, Funky Fox, Schuss bar and a few others.
snow conditions
From memory there are a couple of bars. To be honest there isn't much nightlife in 1850.
ski holidays
This was from last week, but you can see the snow cannons in VT have been tested, starting going, but no volume yet
https://twitter.com/skipedia/status/1451128631846219778
snow report
What's new for Courchevel/La Tania updated today on https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/whats-new-in-la-tania-the-3-valleys-2022-the-definitive-guide-part-1-of-3/
snow conditions
I seem to just be bombarding this thread with questions at the moment....

This time transfers.

We land in Geneva on a Friday at 16:15.

Altibus doesn't leave until 19:30, which means realistically we're hanging around the airport for 2 hours before setting off, and it's €89 each one way.
Alpybus only run to Moutiers, and leaves at 19:00, so probably 1.5 hours hanging around, and that's €55.50 each one way.

The train leaves Geneva Cornavin at 18:42, which with my experience of Geneva shouldn't be a problem, unless our flight out is delayed, and it's the last train of the day. It only costs €30.50 each one way. I think we'd have enough time to jump on a train to Cornavin (free of charge with a ticket from the arrivals hall) and make our way to Moutiers.

Once at Moutiers, if we go via Alpybus or Train, we need a taxi to Meribel, which Snowcarbon are quoting about €60.

https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ski-resorts/meribel/meribel-transfer-guide

Has anyone got a taxi recently enough to know if that quote is about right?

Overall costs look like:

Altibus €178, but simple, get on a coach, get off the other end, but have a walk to our apartment from the bus stop.
Alpybus €111 plus €60, total €171, similar to Altibus, but dropped off at our apartment.
Train €61 plus €60, total €121, quite a bit cheaper, dropped off at our apartment, but run the risk of missing the last train.

Any thoughts on our best option having done any of the above? Any other companies we should consider?

The return journey will be on a Sunday and we will use Bens Bus as they seem to be the cheapest, and our trip will also tie in with their timetables, which our journey out doesn't on the Friday.
latest report
@swskier, how many are in your group? It might be worth getting a quote for a private transfer - www.findtransfers.com will get you a bunch of quotes from local taxi operators in the area.
snow report
@rob@rar, only 2 of us, so private transfers almost certainly not going to be economical for us.
ski holidays
@swskier, which method you choose probably depends on where your apartment block is and whether you walk or need to take the free Meribus or a local taxi after dropoff. Do you know its location?

Personally I think I'd want a taxi taking me right to the door and you should be able to rely on the driver knowing exactly where your apartment is. The taxi price is good; I don't know the others but certainly G Taxi use high quality vehicles and English speaking drivers.
snow conditions
@Raceplate, We're staying in Les Grands Sordiers which is on Route de la Renarde, a bit up the hill from where the buses drop off, which makes me think at 10/10.30 we won't want to be lugging luggage up there!

From what I can tell, and it's not particularly clear, I don't think there's a bus stop too nearby and the buses will have stopped running by that time of the evening as well.

I think, the little red dots on this map signify bus stops, but I could be wrong.

https://www.purelymeribel.com/docs/Meribel_Centre.jpg

Our apartment block is on the hairpins in grid D3 in beween the 21 and 16 numbers in the blue circles.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy