Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
sean1967 wrote:
Pasigal wrote:
In Selva this week, bluebird skies and balmy but not too warm (3-6 C depending on altitude). Pistes are, as usual, quite good, but there is very little snow on south-facing areas below 2000 meters.

The new runs (black down the face of Dantercepies and the red/black coming down from Alpe di Siusi to Ortisei are both nice additions. The Ortisei run is a bit of a cat track and vis isn't great but it's a nice value add compared to having to down load on the bubble lift...

Usual crowds at Sellaronda pinch points but definitely not more so than the last time we were here in 2020.

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify a little, when you say there is very little snow on south-facing areas below 2000m, are you referring to the pistes or the areas surrounding the pistes.

I'm thinking of heading over for 4 days from the 21st. Is there any snow making happening? There seems to be a period of cold weather coming up, hopefully that will help and maybe they will continue to work their magic on the pistes.

Cheers snowHead

[url=]https://viewer.crmpilot.it/viewer.html?a=1727&n=63701&c=20617159&e=***@email.co.uk&l=3[/url] That should be the link fixed. Arabba could be in the best shape I suppose, their slopes are mainly north facing I believe.

Around the pistes. Didn’t see any evidence of snowmaking this week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With 60 cms on the lower slopes they should have more than enough depth to last the last 5 weeks of the season.
https://snowreport.skicarosello.it/skicarosello/?lang=en
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well the sun is shining here in the Val di Fassa today ...I had better go and get over the shock of buying my pass after the shock of the diesel prices on the way down ..€1.79 in Austria ..well over €2 here in Italy ...good job I got 64mpg on the way down...rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just a note to all who are coming out to Italy ...it is definitely worthwhile buying a box of FFP 2 masks in the Uk before leaving as you need them to get on the slopes ...the blue ones we have in the UK are not accepted Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi all, Can anyone remind me the name of the piste that runs through a rocky landscape, like a moonscape, somewhere around the Sella Ronda?
Thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rachelb wrote:
Hi all, Can anyone remind me the name of the piste that runs through a rocky landscape, like a moonscape, somewhere around the Sella Ronda?
Thanks

Citta dei sassi, links Plan Gralba to the Passo Pordoi I believe
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rachelb,

Passo Sella. We actually refer to it as 'moonscape'. It's the area from Piz Seteur going towards the Belvedere gondola. Rifigios Salei and Fenile are out there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks very much. That's great.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beautiful conditions here today...if only my legs had been up for it ....it was busy today but lots of one day trippers...hope I am up for it tomorrow wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes it was busy today being Sunday but did not feel as busy as Sundays in previous years. The Italians do love skiing in sunshine and we sure had lots of it. Forecast for the week looks fantastic and the pistes are in great condition Lots of layers required as temperatures are low all day as well as night.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from a week in Alta Badia, which we mainly used as a base to explore the red and black runs of the surrounding resorts. Echoing the other comments, the piste maintenance and snow making is fantastic, as the area hasn't had any significant snow in a number of weeks. I've never had 6 consecutive blue bird days before - with no wind. It's still very cold, so past 2pm the south facing slopes are slushy and moguly, and the north facing slopes are icy.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 7-03-22 12:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah, just remembered something in Val G from our trip last week that may or may not be useful: The Italian Green Pass rules for teenagers are rather vague. Our 13-year-old has 2 shots and had covid a few months ago, and wasn't eligible for a booster in France (where we live).

So we get to the ticket counter in Selva, ticket seller says, Oh no, she needs to get PCR test every 48 hours to ski. Hmm, say I, here's her evidence that she recently had covid and couldn't get a booster -- but she wasn't budging.

So we went to a pharmacy in Ortisei that was doing tests. The test-giver barely swiped the tip of her nose, of course she was negative. I zip back to Selva, take the paper back to the ticket window, and the the seller says, "Great! She's good to go for the whole week." But...but...but...what about this 48 hours nonsense? Anyway, I was able to validate the ski tickets for all of us every morning on the Superski app...

And...I am still at a loss to explain the "validate your ticket with your Green Pass every day" requirement.

First off, if you truly developed symptomatic Covid, you wouldn't ski -- you'd be isolating in your hotel, apartment and hoping to feel better fast.

Second...how would you know if you were infected by covid but were asymptomatic?

ine, I'm OK with needing a valid Green Pass to buy a ticket, but once that's done, what's the point in "validating" daily? Perhaps I'm missing something essential?

I'll happily wear a mask and follow any rule to avoid spreading covid, but there has to be even a smidgen of logic behind it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
metalsteveninelegs wrote:
I've never had 6 consecutive blue bird days before - with no wind.

Yeah, it was incredible last week. I know the skiing isn't the most challenging but when you literally see half-a-dozen wispy clouds all week, and you're eating lunch in the sun with views of the rock spires, life really doesn't get any better. I've been stressed about Covid, about Russia, about just about everything, but that was some good therapy!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pasigal, I think it's something to do with QR codes expiring.

It would need a major re write to the software to validate individual passes for a different number of days. Simpler just to cancel all the passes as the lifts close, and then validate daily, where the expiry dates of the codes can be individually checked.

Also, in their first emails about this, there were a number of factors around Data protection. This obviously resolves them, as their system doesn't need to store any additional (confidential medical details) about you. Basically, the app just cross references the Name with the pass, number of vaccinations, and checks the expiry date of the code.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brianatab wrote:
@Pasigal, I think it's something to do with QR codes expiring.

It would need a major re write to the software to validate individual passes for a different number of days. Simpler just to cancel all the passes as the lifts close, and then validate daily, where the expiry dates of the codes can be individually checked.

Also, in their first emails about this, there were a number of factors around Data protection. This obviously resolves them, as their system doesn't need to store any additional (confidential medical details) about you. Basically, the app just cross references the Name with the pass, number of vaccinations, and checks the expiry date of the code.

Ah, thanks. That makes sense about data protection. What threw me a bit was that my daughter's pass was validated literally by hand, as I gave the ticket seller a piece of paper signed by the pharmacy in Ortisei, so there wasn't a valid QR code involved at any point. (She has a Green Pass but it shows only 2 vaccinations, and is perfectly valid in France.)

To be honest after 2 years of the pandemic I've got a bit of "logic fatigue" sometimes...
ski holidays
Tomorrow is Day 5 of 7 for me. Amazing weather and conditions! Day 1 I started in Alpe di Suisi, skied over to Seceda, continued CC on the Sella Ronda to Val di Fassa and stayed on the mountain at Rifugio Baita Cuz. Wonderful day.

Day 2 I continued CC on the Sella Ronda and detoured to Marmolada. Wow! My favorite descent so far, despite the relatively long queue. Worth it 10x! Returned to Baita Cuz.

Day 3 I continued again CC on Sella Ronda to Armentarola. Skied all the runs around Cinque Torri as well as the backside run (beautiful views) and then rode the new bubble to Cortina, skied the whole area on the Tofana side. I’m staying at Rifugio Duca A’osta presently.

Today, Day 4, I skied down and caught the ski bus to the Faloria Bubble across town and spent most of the day skiing everything on that side. The trail connecting the Rio Gere lift is closed so you have to take the lift down. Had a lovely late lunch on the patio back at Rifugio Pomedes. Tomorrow I return to the Sella Ronda, clockwise this time, to my next Rifugio, Des Alpes.
ski holidays
@alchemist

I am intrigued - are you skiing with all your gear or are you arranging to have it moved by taxi ?

Or is it an organised trip and a third party is handling logistics ?
ski holidays
Rifugio, Des Alpes ! == warning, last time I was there, they were dancing on the tables snowHead

It was 4PM though, as people headed for the gondola down to Campitello...
latest report
@sheffskibod, I carry my hut clothes & toiletries in a backpack. It’s not much of a burden. However, I’m staying two nights at each hut so half the time I can ski without it. I love being on the mountain when everyone’s gone and can watch the sun set and rise and hit the slopes even before the lifts start turning. Wish I could share pics!
ski holidays
@albob, looking forward to it! Last night I was the only overnight guest here! While it was cool to have the rifugio to myself and the staff treated me like family, I’m happy to have had dinner with a lovely Italian family here tonight. Tomorrow, I’m going to be up on those tables!
snow report
How's it looking on piste there now round the old Sella Ronda? How's Alta Badia and Arabba holding up?

I had been thinking of a trip over for a few days, 21st to 25th. I'll be in Spain before and after then. There was supposed to be a big amount arriving in the Pyrennes so I'd started considering seriously heading up to Baqueira/Cerler/Formigal/Andorra instead but the forecast doesn't look as good now, warmer, wetter. I've been speaking with the local expert lads over on the NevaSport.

So I'm back to considering the Dollies. Both are still options, my Valencia to Bologna Ryanairs were essentially free when I booked them and my cheap Spanish car hire is cancellable until the day before.
ski holidays
@sean1967, I just finished my seventh and last day. The pistes are in excellent shape all around. Just amazing. A few of the south facing slopes got a bit heavy this afternoon but coverage is excellent.
snow report
Alchemist wrote:
@sean1967, I just finished my seventh and last day. The pistes are in excellent shape all around. Just amazing. A few of the south facing slopes got a bit heavy this afternoon but coverage is excellent.

Thanks for the info. Are you hanging around any longer? There seems to be a hot spell in the next few days.

I have to make a decision by Friday morning. Given the price of fuel and what I paid for the flights, I think it will be significantly cheaper to go to Italy than to drive up to Baqueira from Valencia.
snow report
I wouldn’t bet against this year being a very snowy May or late April Puzzled
snow conditions
Most slopes and lifts are open. The Great war tour is now closed. Just over two weeks of the season left to go and four at Kronplatz. The next week continues sunny and dry and then a change in early April. Could be rain or snow on higher ground.
Looks like they will end up with a very reliable season this year and hopefully a successful bounce back from Last year.
ski holidays
For fun I took a video skiing the new trail from Alpe di Suisi to Ortisei a week ago. Very nice!

http://youtube.com/v/5Pp3UxfNlak
snow report
@Alchemist, yes, it's a nice run. I did it on two occasions on the preBBWUW and Birthday Bash a few weeks ago. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The addition of the piste to Ortisei and the new bubble linking Cinque Torri to the Tofana area are wonderful. I had to take the ski bus only once to get from Tofana to the Faloria bubble and back. Just amazing how far and wide one can ski there! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alchemist,
Wow that’s just fantastic!
Great run, great stamina and lovely stylish turns Cool Cool Not a stone in sight either snowHead
Just as you crossed the road the famous ‘Ronc’ is in front and to the left. Apparently the scene of an important race between Tomba and Stenmark.
Thank you for posting that. A must do run. Looks great for late March Cool
ski holidays
@Alchemist, great vid, great skiing, looks like a lovely run
ski holidays
Very Happy @Alchemist, I love that video. We've just taken the plunge and booked 6 weeks in an apartment in Ortisei next winter. That'll be a wonderful way to get home. Very Happy
snow report
Having a difficult time finding reasonable flights at half term next year. Jet2 to Venice refusing to take skis as sports equipment even though you can take a bike or golf bags as it’s not considered a ski flight. So
We are now considering driving. We usually drive to France and did so to Sauze d’Oulx in 2020. Do others drive to the Dolomites in these ridiculously expensive weeks to fly? I just want reassurance that it’s not too far. I think probably only 3 hours further than the French Alps.
ski holidays
@LadyDi, well don’t listen to us then! We left Suisi this morning after two fabulous weeks there and we are in Ulm tonight in Germany, tomorrow night is booked in Luxembourg before the tunnel Sunday afternoon. We drove there in just a few hours but that was from Altenmarkt. But we have all the time in the world. We used to drive to Austria in one go many years ago, and when we had our own chalet in Les Gets I would do that trip on my own in one go. It is probably somewhere around 12 hours non stop with two drivers.
snow conditions
@Pamski Thanks that’s reassuring. I think we would leave Sat am, get as much of the drive done as poss, and arrive in Corvara or wherever we book as early as we can on Sunday. Leave the following Saturday after skiing for the day to get part of the journey done. The other families will still fly sun-sun. So definitely do-able. Just further than I would plan to drive for a week. Looking forward to when we aren’t stuck with school holidays.
snow conditions
Or look at Lufthansa to Munich (or possibly Venice or flights to Verona)
ski holidays
JHS wrote:
Or look at Lufthansa to Munich (or possibly Venice or flights to Verona)

Munich direct flights would be £2,500 for 4 of us. I had looked at Lufthansa to Venice and discounted it as all require a change of plane. We did that last year with Air France. On the way out they moved the connecting flight forward so we had 1 hour exactly which included pasport control and security - we literally only just made it. On the return leg they cancelled our second flight so we ended up with 4 hours at CDG. However this might be our best option. I’m ignoring anything with a short transit time - some are only 45mins but think there are a couple of options so thanks for prompting me to look at it again.
ski holidays
@LadyDi, where are you based? UK? Which general area?
snow conditions
LadyDi wrote:
Having a difficult time finding reasonable flights at half term next year. Jet2 to Venice refusing to take skis as sports equipment even though you can take a bike or golf bags as it’s not considered a ski flight. So
We are now considering driving. We usually drive to France and did so to Sauze d’Oulx in 2020. Do others drive to the Dolomites in these ridiculously expensive weeks to fly? I just want reassurance that it’s not too far. I think probably only 3 hours further than the French Alps.

For the Dolomites isn’t Innsbruck the closest airport (it’s where I’ve booked for next March anyway…) EasyJet and BA at least… but I guess it’s easy for me being 75mins from LHR..

Oh - BA is £2400 for 4 people Economy Plus…!

Any Ryanair options to Italian airports? Treviso?
snow report
@buchanan101, depends where in the Dolomites you’re going. Venice is the best for the south side, particularly so for Arabba with the subsidised transfer. snowHead
ski holidays
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
@buchanan101, depends where in the Dolomites you’re going. Venice is the best for the south side, particularly so for Arabba with the subsidised transfer. snowHead

Ah ok. I had looked at transfers to the Sella Ronda and it’s quite a way from Venice

First time to anywhere in Dolomites next year - thought it’d be an interesting change from Austria.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy