Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
@azza2110, I always bring my own gear because I focus on off-piste if the conditions allow and trust my setup.

I had to evacuate the resort due to Covid in March 2020. Here's a link of some of the skiing I did from Rifugio Avereau to Lagazuoi down the Hidden Valley. This was the last day the resort was fully open and there was no one on the slopes.

http://youtube.com/v/IZ7OE4r1gb8
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s been A very interesting week weather wise…teen’s first proper powder experience (on piste) and first “off piste” run (under the cherz lift but was definitely fun).

Then slush!!

More interesting has been how few lifts insisted on ffp2 masks - dantecepies and campinoi I think were the only ones enforcing it! And not a single check anywhere of green pass!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We did manage to do the sella both ways in a day tho!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have been checked for the Super Green Pass at two restaurants in San Vigilio.
And at the base station of Miara there has been a man checking FFP2 masks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We drove over to Seiser Alm today and had the day pottering about. We parked at the car park under the Gondola at Ortisei which was perfect. It was our first trip to the area and we had a lovely day, nice and chilled. Pistes were hard packed and icy first thing and then started to soften up as the sun came out. I hate to say it but we were then fortunate as clouds came over so the pistes held up pretty well all day. Unlike Thursday which was slush central in the afternoon. (Arabba was ok as the runs were sheltered from the sun and SR was closed so they were relatively quiet.)

It’s a nice area, nothing challenging, the reds seem more like blues and the blacks like reds but it was a good day for enjoying the scenery and practising technique. We got a piste map about 2 days ago and it doesn’t show the new piste down into the village so we missed that, only spotting it on the way back down. We did think about going back up but the sun was out and it was slushy up top so we thought it was probably more trouble than it was worth. We did walk across the bridge into Ortisei though, what a lovely place. Definitely worth considering if you either don’t need a large ski area or don’t mind a ski bus/ car to get to one.

Tomorrow is our last day, we plan to go over to Santa Croce, lunch at Pralongia and then finish early to drive back to Verona. Just in time for a stormy flight home on Sunday. I hope any Snowheads reading this in the UK have survived damage free.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Re masks and green passes
in 3 weeks skiing non a single rifugio has asked for a green pass, presumably because they know you need one for a lift pass. Almost every bar and restaurant has asked the first time we went in but not once they recognised you. We’ve even been asked for a green pass in a shop.

Last week we saw a couple pulled off a cable car for not having the correct mask, another time someone was pulled out of the queue but we didn’t see what happened. A few days ago my wife forgot to pull her mask up when getting in a gondola and was admonished. Most people stick with the rules, some are a bit lax with how well fitted the masks are but hardly any haven’t bothered at all and 99% of people use an FFP2 mask, There are still some signs up about masks for most chairlifts but since the rules were relaxed last weekend no one is enforcing this. We’ve only had to share a gondola with one adult who clearly couldn’t be bothered with a mask at all, it was the other day and he was English.

Having a mask around your neck isn’t a big deal, there are lot of options for attaching to a helmet. be respectful to the country your visiting and pull it up when needed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Half term looking popular snowHead
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c15328/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@richb67, We were out there weeks ago. Some of the lifties were all over the face covering situation. The Edleweiss valley fella in particular. Razz
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dusting of snow this afternoon and very blowy, Pleasant skiing when sheltered.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Back at the weekend after a nice, mostly sunny week's skiing in Val di Fassa/Val di Fiemme. Based near Predazzo, we visited Alpe Lusia, Carezza, Catinaccio, Latemar & Passo San Pellegrino ski areas. Had an abortive attempt to do the Sella Ronda on Thurs from Canazei, but the links to/from Arabba were closed due to gusting winds. The covered chairlifts and wooded runs at Pera for Catinaccio came into their own on Tuesday in the snow.

The heavy snow that came in from the SW last Tues freshened things up (we got 30cm in the valley at 950m, Latemar reported 35cm on the mountain), though the artificial pistes were complete, in good firm condition and skiing well beforehand. It was winter wonderland Wednesday morning.

On Thursday it went very mild and the lower slopes at Canazei were getting soft and slushy. The snow was still excellent on Friday at Passo San Pellegrino where the base is at 1900m.

As we left on Saturday, it was misty/drizzly in the valley, but probably turned to snow at altitude. It stayed hazy all day at Lake Garda and Verona.

There are some very worthwhile ski areas in Val di Fassa and Val di Fiemme that I haven't previously visited, they were noticeably a lot quieter than the day we spent at Canazei where there were long queues of 10-20mins for some lifts. We drove on to Canazei from the cable-car at Campitello where the queue was snaking around the car park, so probably nearly an hour's wait at 9.45am. Most other ski areas we got straight on or waited a minute in a small queue.

Carezza is a great area for nervous skiers, very quiet with a network of easy blues. Passo San Pellegrino and Alpe Lusia likewise, but with a bit more red to throw into the mix if you head up to Col Margherita and Le Cune respectively. Latemar was intermediate/advanced territory, mostly red and some testing blacks, but with some easy blues on the meadows above Pampeago. Catinaccio is small, but the chain of 3 newish covered chairs out of Pera are a great place for bad weather days.

I've decided that the Sella Ronda is best avoided in peak weeks, which is New Year/first week of Jan with Italians & Russians, most of Feb with the world and its mother and the Carnevale/Fasching week with Bavarians which is usually Feb, but can fall in early March. It's become a bit of a victim of its own success. Canazei was rammed with Danish families on their winter break which often coincides with UK half term. I want to try San Martino di Castrozza and Alpe Cermis on another visit, which we didn't get time for this year. The smaller resorts are moderately busy on sunny weekends with Italian daytrippers, but pretty quiet the rest of the week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Re Covid stuff...

A bit of a faff getting it all done beforehand, so was a bit disappointed that no-one even looked at our LFD test certs, Vax certs or EU PLFs at either airport on the way out, just passports and boarding passes.

There were still signs up asking for FFP2 masks on the lifts. It was enforced quite a bit on closed lifts and some chairlifts too.

You had to revalidate your liftpass every day with your vax cert QR code, but weren't asked to show them at mountain restaurants, though we stopped outside, only went in to use the toilets.

Many locals were still wearing FFP2 masks outside even though the law for outdoor masks expired on Feb 10th. Whenever you entered a supermarket/shop, everyone wore one.

On the way back, you had to get your Green Pass (Vax cert QR code) verified to go airside and the Italian gate staff were rigorously checking for FFP2 masks, UK PLFs and vax certs as well as Passports and boarding passes before boarding.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
luigi wrote:

I've decided that the Sella Ronda is best avoided in peak weeks, which is New Year/first week of Jan with Italians & Russians, most of Feb with the world and its mother and the Carnevale/Fasching week with Bavarians which is usually Feb, but can fall in early March. It's become a bit of a victim of its own success. Canazei was rammed with Danish families on their winter break which often coincides with UK half term. I want to try San Martino di Castrozza and Alpe Cermis on another visit, which we didn't get time for this year. The smaller resorts are moderately busy on sunny weekends with Italian daytrippers, but pretty quiet the rest of the week.

Oddly, we've been to the Sella Ronda four times now, heading for a fifth next week, and I've never even felt the need to do the Sella Ronda. Usually we get halfway round, and just turn back. Not quite sure why. I think it's because we generally prefer to find good snow/quieter runs and just stay there.

This year I'm looking forward to spending more time in Corvara, as well as if the wind stays down and the snow is good, the Seceda for a day (had a couple of very cold, unpleasant days there but really like the steep groomers)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Off to the dolomites next week and having never skied there really not sure what to expect.

How are the conditions holding up?

Will take anything skiable given it has been two years since skiing!!!

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We returned from Corvara on Sunday evening. First time in the Dolomites. Glorious! We all absolutely loved it so much that I was up at midnight booking a flight to Innsbruck for next year the minute it was released. The week went by in a flash - snow was great on most days and we had a fresh dump on Tuesday. I must confess Saturday morning was a bit tricky as we couldn’t see a damn thing in the mist but it lifted after a couple of hours and we had a fantastic last day. We stayed at Posta Zirm which was very handy for the Col Alt gondola. Amazing food and service there. They even surprised husband with a birthday cake on Thursday. They must have noted his birthday while inspecting our passports! Can’t wait to return!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like a wonderful trip, endorsed by your eagerness to return!

thanks for sharing.
snow report
Wobbletop wrote:
Off to the dolomites next week and having never skied there really not sure what to expect.

How are the conditions holding up?

Will take anything skiable given it has been two years since skiing!!!

Very Happy

The snow management on piste is always good. Don't worry about the snow for a February trip
snow conditions
Thanks, seems to have been struggling for material dumps but reassuring to hear they make it work.
snow report
@Wobbletop,
I’m there just now, very good piste skiing getting a bit warm in the afternoon. Thee haven’t been big falls and where there is no artificial snow the south facing slopes are looking a bit bare but the Pisces are there usual well maintained selves.
snow conditions
Bit colder today, all piste skiing still very good.
Still have to validate your green pass code daily which you can do on the app before you go out or at the lift stations.
FFP2 mask wearing still enforced.
Great skiing still and only a few pinch points with queues.
snow report
@T Bar, how do you validate daily via the Dolomiti Superski app? Can I just use a screenshot of my NHS app QR code?
snow report
@MCL, we used an iPad and iPhone. It’s very straightforward and the easiest way is..

Choose a device that you’ll use each day, we used an iPad
One person registers on the Dolomiti superski app,
you then add each persons ski pass (either type in the number or some devices will detect the pass)
The first day you upload a screenshot of the nhs QRcode for each person
then subsequently you use the same device and just click a button, no need to upload again unless you use a different device. Takes 5 seconds each morning.

One day I forgot and was impressed with just how easy it was whilst out and about. I opened the app, my phone detected the ski pass, I uploaded a screenshot and within 30 seconds everything was sorted, all done whilst stood next to a ski lift.
ski holidays
stellaps wrote:
We returned from Corvara on Sunday evening. First time in the Dolomites. Glorious! We all absolutely loved it so much that I was up at midnight booking a flight to Innsbruck for next year

If you don’t mind me asking which airline have you booked with? We went airfrance this half term which was fine and good value but I’d prefer direct. I’ve just looked on sky scanner for Venice and Innsbruck from London and can’t find any good direct options.
ski holidays
richb67 wrote:
@MCL, we used an iPad and iPhone. It’s very straightforward and the easiest way is..

Choose a device that you’ll use each day, we used an iPad
One person registers on the Dolomiti superski app,
you then add each persons ski pass (either type in the number or some devices will detect the pass)
The first day you upload a screenshot of the nhs QRcode for each person
then subsequently you use the same device and just click a button, no need to upload again unless you use a different device. Takes 5 seconds each morning.

One day I forgot and was impressed with just how easy it was whilst out and about. I opened the app, my phone detected the ski pass, I uploaded a screenshot and within 30 seconds everything was sorted, all done whilst stood next to a ski lift.

As above, we kept a paper copy of NHSQR code as well as on app
We handed it over on the first day when we bought the passes , my phone can be slow.
snow report
Final report as we travelled on a Sunday and today was the last day.
High winds and cold temps made it a bit parky but kept the snow in generally excellent condition though slopes exposed to the wind were a bit scoured.
New snow would not come amiss to make south facing slopes a bit whiter but the pistes remain excellent.
snow report
@richb67, brilliant thanks; sounds nice and simple Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
LadyDi wrote:
stellaps wrote:
We returned from Corvara on Sunday evening. First time in the Dolomites. Glorious! We all absolutely loved it so much that I was up at midnight booking a flight to Innsbruck for next year

If you don’t mind me asking which airline have you booked with? We went airfrance this half term which was fine and good value but I’d prefer direct. I’ve just looked on sky scanner for Venice and Innsbruck from London and can’t find any good direct options.

BA fly direct to Innsbruck from Heathrow. Jet2 fly direct from Stansted on a Sunday only. Easyjet fly from Gatwick.
snow report
Oh and Tui fly direct from Gatwick, Luton and Stansted
snow conditions
Thanks. It seems most don’t have their schedules out for next Feb yet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LadyDi wrote:
Thanks. It seems most don’t have their schedules out for next Feb yet.

BA should cover next February within the next few weeks. They usually go up to just under 1 year ahead
snow report
Should be a notable week. All lifts and runs open. Dawn to dusk sunshine, lightish wind and low temperatures. Perfect for planning itineraries and lovely lunches outside Cool

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c6739/
ski holidays
Why the rush to fly to Innsbruck ...Verona has great connections with all the Dolomite ski areas and doesnt get fogged in?
latest report
What are the best airlines to/from Verona from London area? Thinking for next Feb 1/2 term so family, lots of bags inc. boots and skis etc etc... (BA doesn't seem to have any weekend flights scheduled (yet?) not that I'd want to go with them anyway any more anyway!)
latest report
@Peter S, thanks for sharing that. I depart from the States this Sunday and can’t wait to get there again. Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
jma wrote:
What are the best airlines to/from Verona from London area? Thinking for next Feb 1/2 term so family, lots of bags inc. boots and skis etc etc... (BA doesn't seem to have any weekend flights scheduled (yet?) not that I'd want to go with them anyway any more anyway!)

I noticed the other day there are no BA flights next winter on a weekend. Wonder if they're dropping the route? You could check Ryanair and Easyjet though don't think their schedules are out yet for next winter
snow report
In Selva this week, bluebird skies and balmy but not too warm (3-6 C depending on altitude). Pistes are, as usual, quite good, but there is very little snow on south-facing areas below 2000 meters.

The new runs (black down the face of Dantercepies and the red/black coming down from Alpe di Siusi to Ortisei are both nice additions. The Ortisei run is a bit of a cat track and vis isn't great but it's a nice value add compared to having to down load on the bubble lift...

Usual crowds at Sellaronda pinch points but definitely not more so than the last time we were here in 2020.
snow report
Easyjet brought out their schedules up to end Feb'23 today. Some early bargains.

BA usually bring out theirs about 11 months ahead.
snow report
Anybody interested in Spring Skiing in Arabba?

Some deals on offer from 19th March 'til end of season:

https://viewer.crmpilot.it/viewer.html?a=1727&n=63701&c=20617159&e=***@email.co.uk&l=3
snow report
@brianatab,

Broken URL
ski holidays
Pasigal wrote:
In Selva this week, bluebird skies and balmy but not too warm (3-6 C depending on altitude). Pistes are, as usual, quite good, but there is very little snow on south-facing areas below 2000 meters.

The new runs (black down the face of Dantercepies and the red/black coming down from Alpe di Siusi to Ortisei are both nice additions. The Ortisei run is a bit of a cat track and vis isn't great but it's a nice value add compared to having to down load on the bubble lift...

Usual crowds at Sellaronda pinch points but definitely not more so than the last time we were here in 2020.

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify a little, when you say there is very little snow on south-facing areas below 2000m, are you referring to the pistes or the areas surrounding the pistes.

I'm thinking of heading over for 4 days from the 21st. Is there any snow making happening? There seems to be a period of cold weather coming up, hopefully that will help and maybe they will continue to work their magic on the pistes.

Cheers snowHead

[url=]https://viewer.crmpilot.it/viewer.html?a=1727&n=63701&c=20617159&e=***@email.co.uk&l=3[/url] That should be the link fixed. Arabba could be in the best shape I suppose, their slopes are mainly north facing I believe.
snow report
@Red Leon, Sorry about that it came as an email from Ddolomitie Superski, but link had my email, so tried to delete it. worked when I first tried it. Try this. I think it was the *** that caused the problem:

https://viewer.crmpilot.it/viewer.html?a=1727&n=63701&c=20617159&e=@hotmail.co.uk&l=3
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy