Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
Petra wrote:
Has anyone flown to Italy with BA recently? Trying to check in and they want us to upload Covid test and health declaration form…what the *** is that?? Do they mean passenger locator form? Italian ministry of health says no health declaration form needed!!!

Hi Petra,

We flow out last Saturday with BA to venice.

My top tips:

1. Despite them saying we had to complete the online forms before we could check in we found we could check in without doing them. We used the BA app to check in but I think it also worked online.

2. When we later did the online forms, we uploaded a photo of our covid test result email and just uploaded the eu.plf for the health declaration. We did get messages from them saying they were unable to verify the information we sent them and thought we’d have to sort it out at the airport but the person at check just said they could see we’d completed the uploads and were happy with that.

3. There were no forms to fill in on the plane, even though I brought some pens so we could do them.

Enjoy your flight. Certainly in our case all the faff and nuisance was all the fuss about paperwork beforehand but the actual travel itself was very smooth and hassle free.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good to know - thank you! Interesting that you can actually check in without forms…will give that a go!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Petra wrote:
Has anyone flown to Italy with BA recently? Trying to check in and they want us to upload Covid test and health declaration form…what the *** is that?? Do they mean passenger locator form? Italian ministry of health says no health declaration form needed!!!

Two regions of Italy require you to complete a Health Declaration Form (IIRC it was an island and somewhere in the south). As I was travelling to Veneto & Arabba I said I was exempt due to destination and BA were happy with that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you - that’s reassuring! So you just had to upload the Covid test results?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, just the covid test results.

My post from the time at https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154882&start=1160#4918716 goes into a bit more detail. After that post we got emails from BA saying our documents had been accepted (took a few hours), and then checked in online. Coming home we couldn't get online checkin to work so joined the long queue at the airport.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thelem, I had the exact opposite experience in that I couldn't get my documents accepted and check in online going out to Italy but I was able to get my online registration approved and check in online for the return flight to UK. Go figure as they say....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thelem wrote:
Yes, just the covid test results.

Coming home we couldn't get online checkin to work so joined the long queue at the airport.

I did manage to ceck in online but still had to join the same queue at Venice for ‘bag drop’ - it’s nothing of the sort!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Red Leon wrote:
I did manage to ceck in online but still had to join the same queue at Venice for ‘bag drop’ - it’s nothing of the sort!

The bag drop queue was slow, but the full check-in queue was much slower. It got a better once the bag drop and club Europe queues were empty though, and no one was in danger of missing the flight due to the queue.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Igor has posted a new video on YouTube. His videos of the area are excellent. Very Happy
http://youtube.com/v/EJnIdhBfxwY
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair Pink, thank you. Utterly life-enhancing, as usual. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Alastair Pink, Brilliant -- I didn't want it to end...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heading out to Corvara on Saturday. Given the lack of snow I’m assuming all the pavements in Corvara are free of snow. Just wondering if 1 pair of trainers and no walking shoes will be ok for the children.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WePowder are calling it for Monday night into Tuesday next week.

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/284071

Latest 06Z GFS output dials it back east of the Adige Valley though! Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Webcams show Snowing and -6 at Seceda today....!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was cold, windy and snowing when we were in Col rodella area around lunch time. It didn’t look like it was enough to make any meaningful difference though, just showers.

Damn cold today after the last few very warm ones, good for the pistes though. Windy enough that warnings for SR lift closures were showing so we beat a hasty retreat back over Passo Gardena.
latest report
LadyDi wrote:
Heading out to Corvara on Saturday. Given the lack of snow I’m assuming all the pavements in Corvara are free of snow. Just wondering if 1 pair of trainers and no walking shoes will be ok for the children.

They’ll be OK in trainers but depending on where you’re walking to and from they might get wet and suffer from the salt that gets put down. Plus some snow is forecast for the week so they’ll probably get cold wet feet at some point too.
ski holidays
richb67 wrote:
Was cold, windy and snowing when we were in Col rodella area around lunch time. It didn’t look like it was enough to make any meaningful difference though, just showers.

Damn cold today after the last few very warm ones, good for the pistes though. Windy enough that warnings for SR lift closures were showing so we beat a hasty retreat back over Passo Gardena.

Agree. A bit cold and windy today but not too bad when we did lagazuoi / Cinque Torri. The queues weren’t bad today either, walked straight onto the lagazuoi lift at midday.

The nice blue piste at the top of the edelweiss valley was nasty and icy this afternoon. Not much fun to ski at all. I guess it’s suffered from the the thaw freeze cycle. Lower down in Colfosco everything is OK though and nowhere else in Alta badia seems to have suffered quite so much.
snow conditions
[quote="olderscot"]
richb67 wrote:

The nice blue piste at the top of the edelweiss valley was nasty and icy this afternoon. Not much fun to ski at all. I guess it’s suffered from the the thaw freeze cycle. Lower down in Colfosco everything is OK though and nowhere else in Alta badia seems to have suffered quite so much.

Our paths may have crossed as we popped into the Colofosco area 2-3 ish. We didn’t do the blue, the red was nice and the top of the blacks were pretty windswept but we’d got cold so finished a bit early.

We’ll probably do the HV on Monday so interesting to know the queue was ok. We plan Cortina tomorrow but plans are fluid as it depends when we get out of bed as it’s out for Pizza tonight Madeye-Smiley
snow report
[quote="richb67"]
olderscot wrote:
richb67 wrote:

Our paths may have crossed as we popped into the Colofosco area 2-3 ish. We didn’t do the blue, the red was nice and the top of the blacks were pretty windswept but we’d got cold so finished a bit early.

We’ll probably do the HV on Monday so interesting to know the queue was ok. We plan Cortina tomorrow but plans are fluid as it depends when we get out of bed as it’s out for Pizza tonight Madeye-Smiley

Our paths are definitely getting close if not crossing. Between 2-3ish today we were having pizza in the Fornella.
ski holidays
Currently having Pizza in Fornella!
snow report
Who's stalking who here?? snowHead
ski holidays
Update on BA flights for anyone wondering…we checked in on phone without having to upload anything, then only needed to upload Covid test later. BA suggested bag drop the night before (good) failed to tell us that everyone wanting to bag drop needed to be there (extremely bad). 4 bags dropped last night, others came with us this morning.
ski holidays
We've found on the way back that you have to upload your NHS cert and UK plf for verification before you can check in. You do all this at traveldocs.ba.com. We uploaded them at around 7pm on Friday evening but only got confirmation that they'd passed verification at 9:45 this morning so it's worth doing it early. Lots of people at check in hadn't managed.
snow report
Good news for those who left today, ski conditions were the worst of the week Sad A combination of a freezing day and wind overnight seems to have resulted in icy pistes. We did the hidden valley and TBH it was pretty cr*p, also popped over to cinque torri, a big mistake. With it being Saturday it was heaving with the car parks overflowing. so on top of the sheet ice pistes there were ski clubs everywhere and probably their parents killing a bit of time skiing. They had snow making running on the Col Gallina pistes where a ski club was running which was a first for me. It was much nicer over on the Pralongia area, more chilled.

Some factual stuff, we arrived at Armentarola ca 11:25, the queue for taxis to Lagazuoi looked so big we nearly turned around. I did a quick head count and there were more than 120 people ahead of us. But the queue was managed well and surprisingly within 15 mins we were in a minibus. Cost 7 eur. they were also using a couple of 20+ seater small coaches. A few minutes wait for the cable car both times we used it.

Good news for those arriving, there is snow making taking place in Corvara at the moment, little wind, low temps and 15 cm of snow currently forecasted for Monday night so looking like a good week.

So good news for everyone except us… but we still had a good day because, well, we are here on holiday and its beautiful. Corvara had a very different feel today, lots of teenagers skiing in groups and car parks full with day trippers/weekend visitors. It was nice.
snow report
Thanks for the update ! Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to getting there now. Snow’s forecast Monday evening/Tuesday Madeye-Smiley Smile
latest report
olderscot wrote:
We've found on the way back that you have to upload your NHS cert and UK plf for verification before you can check in. You do all this at traveldocs.ba.com. We uploaded them at around 7pm on Friday evening but only got confirmation that they'd passed verification at 9:45 this morning so it's worth doing it early. Lots of people at check in hadn't managed.

Even if you try to upload docs for verification and fail, you can still check-in at the airport, can’t you?
snow report
Yes. You can still check in at the airport and for some reason the check in / bag drop lady still asked to see our nhs covid pass and uk plf even though they had already been verified online so I’m not sure there was really much point in doing it beforehand other than maybe saving a bit of of queuing time for the people behind us.
snow conditions
Week 12. 441 lifts and 1507kms of runs open. According to the Corvara website they are making snow again today. This may be an indication that they expect a period of warm weather again. A bit of snow in the forecast for Tuesday and then becoming a bit more unsettled with warmer temperatures and more wind. The sun probably starting to get quite strong from here. Still cooler in the southern alps than further west but always drier and the visibility should be better.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter S, There's a reluctance to fire the canons currently as electricity costs have rocketed. However, we were reliably informed when out there, that the lift companies received very generous government handouts during the lockdowns. This would cover the cost of snow making one would assume?
snow conditions
Snow cannons were on last night in Arabba snowHead

Beautiful first day today. We skied over to Cinque Torri and the hidden valley. Barely saw anyone for the first few hours. Only really encountered crowds for the first time getting on the Piz Sorega gondola to come home. No queues for taxis at Armentalo or the Lagazuoi cable car (result!)
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
@Peter S, There's a reluctance to fire the canons currently as electricity costs have rocketed. However, we were reliably informed when out there, that the lift companies received very generous government handouts during the lockdowns. This would cover the cost of snow making one would assume?

I don’t remember reading anything about Govt support during the lockdowns (why would they need it?) but I did see news reports not long ago about the Italian power Cos being threatened with a ‘windfall’ tax. And more recently, it being suggested they would be required to set aside funds to help consumers with their bills given the huge rises seen recently.
latest report
There was Govt support during the lockdowns for hotels etc similar to in uk.
While the lift company's would have avoided the normal running cost re power and seasonal staff, maintenance and interest payments on loans etc would not have gone away.
snow conditions
We popped over to Cortina today and spent a few hours in the Faloria area. It was hard packed but nice ski conditions. Unfortunately the run down to Rio Gere was closed so after lunch we moved over to Tofana. On previous trips we’ve enjoyed the run from Pomedes but today it was more suitable for World Cup skiers than once a year tourists (icy!) and almost everyone was struggling. Lower down was fine but it looked like a couple of pistes were closed due to lack of snow and they had portable snow cannons on at least one. Cortina is looking very brown on the lower slopes but it is a stunning place.

Lots of UK skiers in Cortina, it was really noticeable after we haven’t heard many in other areas.
snow conditions
I just got back from skiing holiday booked in Arabba. Hugely disappointing as there was practically nothing to ski off piste and our group was on an off-piste holiday with a guide. We ended up being driven by our guide to Austria on the Monday (Mayerhoffen/Hintertux) where we had brilliant untracked powder snow for 4 1/2 days. Still had to pay for 80% of original hotel as well as the new one, but it was worth it.

The only reasonably interesting thing we did in Arabba was skiing down across the Marmolada glacier to far skier's left (horrible huge, rock-hard sastrugi on first third, then progressively softer snow the remainder, till going down the hairy cliff-cut military road with sheer drop in many parts to the side. Surprisingly the latter was mostly skiable, and less surprisingly untracked).
snow report
snowball wrote:
I just got back from skiing holiday booked in Arabba. Hugely disappointing as there was practically nothing to ski off piste and our group was on an off-piste holiday with a guide. .

Why would you choose this area for an off piste trip? There are 100s of better suited locations in central Europe.
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
snowball wrote:
I just got back from skiing holiday booked in Arabba. Hugely disappointing as there was practically nothing to ski off piste and our group was on an off-piste holiday with a guide. .

Why would you choose this area for an off piste trip? There are 100s of better suited locations in central Europe.

If you want guaranteed good off piste, next time, follow the snow and do a late booking. Austria had massive dumps a few weeks ago.
ski holidays
"Sastrugi" Puzzled google translate thinks it's Latvian for congestion. Maybe Snowball can enlighten me.
snow conditions
@WD40, sastrugi are wind blown waves of hard-packed snow. Think of the domes of moguls that have been undercut into the shapes of chainsaw blade teeth. And unlike moguls, there's nothing predictable about them.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
snowball wrote:

Agreed. A very weird choice of destination for someone of @Snowball’s experience - Arabba / Sella Ronda absolutely not the place to go for extensive off-piste, especially this year.
ski holidays
Good conditions around Alta badia today. Main routes got cut up by early pm but anything off these was great all afternoon.

The only down side is that it is suddenly really busy. Lots of brits and others with kids so must be half term. There were actually queues! Nothing more than 5 mins though, just a shock after last week Very Happy

Ps its getting pretty cloudy so fingers crossed fot snow tonight
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy