Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti superski 2021/2

Poster: A snowHead
@Red Leon, Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I will be in Arabba in early January and would appreciate guidance as to best way to get to the hidden valley. Did try to follow a previous post which mentioned a new lift in Cortina but not clear. at least to me, when looking at piste map. I do appreciate that you cannot ski to the hidden valley, but you can ski back?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Now, let me think… I may have done that trip a couple of times. Toofy Grin

Up the chair behind the Portavescovo Hotel, down and up to Bec de Roces, down to Campolongo, take the chair across the road to Monte Cherz, down to La Vizza, up the windy chair to Pralongia and straight down towards San Cassiano.
A few hundred yards after passing the ‘elephant’ hutte, branch off to the right through the trees towards Amentarola where you catch the bus up to Passo Falzarego where the cable car takes you to the top of the Hidden Valley. Or cross the road and ski Cinque Torri before returning to the cable car and using HV to get back to Armentarola.
From Armentarola, it’s a drag lift IIRC then ski down to San Cass, get the bubble up and work your way back to Arabba.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Up to Burz lift and ski down to the Le Pale lift, then ski down to Campolongo and cross the road the the Cherz lifts. Ski down Vizza and take the Maserei lift (as Red Leon says it is often windy and cold..!). From the top it is a long run down to Armenterola by various pistes. Bus or Taxi from there to the Falzarego cable car for the Hidden Valley..

===== edit ====

The 3d SuperDolomiti map used to have a Route Planning function -- I cant find it now (or is it just me) on the new version ??

============

And then I find it on separate Page!!

This is the route from Arabba to Lagazuoi (HV)

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-route-planner?departure-town=1026&destination-town=1034

(and it is not working properly -- The SnowHeads route it better !)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks for the very helpful advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
albob wrote:
….as Red Leon says it is often windy and cold..!)

What do you mean, “often..”? It’s always windy and cold - just ask @Fistral Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Red Leon, snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Red Leon wrote:
albob wrote:
….as Red Leon says it is often windy and cold..!)

What do you mean, “often..”? It’s always windy and cold - just ask @Fistral Toofy Grin

Coldest lift in the world! Even on a warm day.
Has a stiff breeze from Siberia.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
A few hundred yards after passing the ‘elephant’ hutte, branch off to the right through the trees towards Amentarola

This right hand turn is not obvious, easy to ski past it and end up in San Cassiano. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NeddySkiGoon, Did that the first time I took that route. Was on the left hand side of the Piste, and didn't see it until I was passing it. Very Happy

As it happened, I was taking that route to catch up with a crowd who left earlier, but had taken the route via Corvara, and bumped into them at the San Cassiano lift. They'd also missed it.
If I'd not missed the turn, I might have been an hour in front, and thought I was still behind them. Puzzled

Agreed, the Maseraei lift is easily the coldest in the area. Very exposed, and you don't have a very long run down to it to generate warmth before getting onto it. Advantage is that it's usually quiet, and allows you to get from Arabba to Armentarola in less than 1 hour.

That should allow us to get over to Cortina, via that new lift well before noon, for a couple of hours visit.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Could the OP or a mod change the title..Stella Rhonda is doing my head in
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
Quote:
A few hundred yards after passing the ‘elephant’ hutte, branch off to the right through the trees towards Amentarola

This right hand turn is not obvious, easy to ski past it and end up in San Cassiano. snowHead

I know - I’ve missed it at least once which is why I mentioned the fairly obvious pachyderm landmark Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@peter w, the ‘elephant’ hutte’ is Saraghes on the piste map. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:

Agreed

It should be Rhondda

Not with a single “d”
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JHS wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Agreed

It should be Rhondda

Not with a single “d”

And an extra ‘r’ on the end of Stella.
ski holidays
Pejoli wrote:
In a different thread I mentioned I was checking on the status of accessing the lifts with just an Italian green pass (one jab only required) - the suedtirol websites were a bit ambiguous on whether that would suffice, or a full eu Covid certificate would be required (so not so good for uk teenagers). But here’s the response I’ve just got back confirming it’s just a green pass, which is great news.

———
Dear <pejoli>

Thank you for your kind request and your interest in our city. Hereby I kindly inform you that for using the ski lifts it is required the Green Pass, that you have automatically after the first vaccination.
More information are available on the following webpage https://www.suedtirol.info/en/information/coronavirus/green-pass

To discover more about Bolzano please visit our website: www.bolzano-bozen.it

We remain at your disposal for any further information you should need.
Thanks, and best regards from Bolzano, the gateway to the Dolomites

But how to generate the NHS QR code needed to get the Italian green pass? Not currently available for under 16’s…
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
Now, let me think… I may have done that trip a couple of times. Toofy Grin

Up the chair behind the Portavescovo Hotel, down and up to Bec de Roces, down to Campolongo, take the chair across the road to Monte Cherz, down to La Vizza, up the windy chair to Pralongia and straight down towards San Cassiano.
A few hundred yards after passing the ‘elephant’ hutte, branch off to the right through the trees towards Amentarola where you catch the bus up to Passo Falzarego where the cable car takes you to the top of the Hidden Valley. Or cross the road and ski Cinque Torri before returning to the cable car and using HV to get back to Armentarola.
From Armentarola, it’s a drag lift IIRC then ski down to San Cass, get the bubble up and work your way back to Arabba.

Has anyone skied to san cass and got a taxi to the cable car ? Presuming they can fit skis in…

The queue at Armentarola can sometimes be ridiculous… I would rather pay more than wait for an hour…

Or is this somehow frowned upon?
ski holidays
Isn't taxi the only option up to the pass from Armentarola? Im sure there's not a regular bus to there in winter. The cortina express service does but only about 3 times a day.
ski holidays
The transportation from Armentarola to the cable car at Passo Falzarego is a mixture of taxi minivans and coaches, which all charge the same fixed price per person, as they are able to fill up the taxis with customers.

sheffskibod wrote:
Has anyone skied to san cass and got a taxi to the cable car ? Presuming they can fit skis in…

The queue at Armentarola can sometimes be ridiculous… I would rather pay more than wait for an hour…

Or is this somehow frowned upon?

I've never done it, but I presume there will be taxis available at San Cassiano or they can be summonsed very quickly. I guess the fare will be a bit more than from Armentarola (possibly a lot more if there's only you in the vehicle, you'd be better off trying to fill the taxi), but possibly worth it if there's a biq queue at Armentarola. I think all taxis in the area in winter have ski racks.

I don't see why or how it could be frowned upon. Taxis are a business and will be prepared to take anyone who can pay their fare. Moreover if a skier calls for a taxi in San Cassiano how does anyone know where you've come from, you could be staying in San Cassiano, so calling a taxi from there is the most natural thing in the world. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Taxi from san class sounds a great idea, been in a long queue at Armentarola when with a few friends so shared taxi from san class would have been better. Only issue could be finding a taxi & interesting to know cost.
Might be expensive if just 2 of you.
snow conditions
There is a 'Valley' bus (line 465) that runs from Corvara up to the Pass during Summer. As jimmybog has said, not sure if it runs up there in Winter (timetable only goes up to 11/12/21

https://www.suedtirolmobil.info/en/journey-planner/pdf-timetable-booklets-to-download

Pusteria valley is the relevant download
ski holidays
Taxi is the way I go. You arrive at Armentarola stand there and the next cab up waits until there are enough people to fill it and then they load it and it goes. Two years ago it cost around €5 IIRC.
snow conditions
Last time we skied the hidden valley, late March 2019, it was not possible for the horses to tow skiers to Armentarola. Taxis were picking up at Capanna Alpina and dropped us at the Piz Sorega lift in San Cassiano. It was 3 euros a head IIRC.
ski holidays
https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c15195/

First significant snowfall of the year. More snow tomorrow but then it warms up unfortunately.
ski holidays
Just look at Plan de Gralba -- initially I thought they had put up last years image !!

https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/plan-de-gralba-webcam/
latest report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Taxi is the way I go. You arrive at Armentarola stand there and the next cab up waits until there are enough people to fill it and then they load it and it goes. Two years ago it cost around €5 IIRC.

The problem is it no longer a hidden valley but everyone knows about it - we arrived the other year (OK - was during a busy week near pancake day) and the queue must have been a few hundred people.

Admittedly I have also done in the birthday week and was a lot quieter ... (although the queue for the cable car was still horrible).

IMO - its not that great a run anyway... narrow road in lots of parts - very busy - and a few steep bumpy sections where the beginners who have foolishly been coerced into visiting are laid out all over the place.
snow report
@sheffskibod, I agree it is not a great run. It is a great view and a fun experience. Timing is key; I try for an early lunch at Scotoni and then bail out.
snow report
Seems the Arei drags near the Marmolada are to be replaced (but not for some time!!) by a 10 seater gondola

https://myportal--pbl-regione-veneto-it.translate.goog/myportal/P_BL/dettaglio/contenuto/18-2021-proponente-padon-marmolada-srl?_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=nui
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing like crazy at the moment .... just hope we can get there at Xmas now !

https://webcams.windy.com/webcams/stream/1542844984
snow report
Still dumping. Not that it makes a difference for us as we'll be there...4 months from now. But always good for stoke!
snow report
-7c showing on the Seceda webcam and cannons running at Piz Sella ... Smile
ski holidays
The Kronplatians have started making snow too. Laughing
They’ll be hoping for good snow making conditions now to get the snow where and how it’s needed.
They have 3 weeks. Cool
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c15328/
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
The Kronplatians have started making snow too. Laughing
They’ll be hoping for good snow making conditions now to get the snow where and how it’s needed.
They have 3 weeks. Cool
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c15328/

interesting to look back a few days, it goes from lush and green to white very quickly,
ski holidays
You could go the long way round via Civetta…
snow report
@peter w, it is a fabulous run, the views are breathtaking. I have never known it very busy.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
I presume there will be taxis available at San Cassiano or they can be summonsed very quickly.

Though summonses are issued, the wheels of Italian justice turn but slowly, I believe Toofy Grin NehNeh
latest report
Red Leon wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
I presume there will be taxis available at San Cassiano or they can be summonsed very quickly.

Though summonses are issued, the wheels of Italian justice turn but slowly, I believe Toofy Grin NehNeh

Is that lawyer ‘humour’? rolling eyes

Laughing
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:

I've never done it, but I presume there will be taxis available at San Cassiano or they can be summonsed very quickly. I guess the fare will be a bit more than from Armentarola (possibly a lot more if there's only you in the vehicle, you'd be better off trying to fill the taxi), but possibly worth it if there's a biq queue at Armentarola. I think all taxis in the area in winter have ski racks.

You can get a taxi from Arabba directly to Passo Falzarego & the HV cable car, the Taxis wait in the square near Bar Peter.

I did it 10 years back when staying in Canazei to shorten the journey. A German couple shared with three of us.

The driver wanted €50 for the trip, so we paid €10 each. As it would have been €4 at Armentarola at the time, I thought it was a good deal.

Allow for a bit of inflation and it might suit those needing a bit more time to ski Cinque Torri and further into Cortina using the new lift before heading up the HV and skiing back.
ski holidays
It seems my family holiday to Austria will be impacted by the requirement for 12+ to be double jabbed. So now we are thinking of driving from Innsbruck to ski in the Dolomites. Other than a quick trip to Folgarida I haven’t skied in the area. We are a family of 4 and despite the youngest being 10 we can ski any piste you can put in front of us. So very keen. I wondered if snowheads could help with a view of the best village to stay in for the sella ronda with access to the steeper and more snow reliable areas (higher??). This would be mid Dec so wondering if normally the circuit is open by then and what to expect!
ski holidays
Plenty of snowmaking in the Dolomites - it will certainly be open (even if the piste sides are brown grass....).

Arabba is accepted to have the steepest skiing, although the village is small and quiet (except when a SnowHeads Bash is going on...)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy