Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2021 / 2022

Poster: A snowHead
@sbooker, my daughter is doing Geneva to BSM in a few weeks: and, as per other threads, trains are less frequent in the summer. However, their train leaves GVA main station at 14.30, they get to BSM at 18.23.

So yes, it's not negligible, but certainly acceptable.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Arctic Roll, as you know it's a fairly relaxed journey with a chance to have a walk about and coffee in chambery. And if course to visit the toilet. The main downside as I see it is not the length of the train ride but the infrequency. You can have a long wait in Geneva. Agreed not as long as for a transfer bus that only runs weekends. Eh oh!

The other option is ouibus. To/from chambery station to GVA and train to bourg.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're going to be in Les Arcs 10-16th June, girlfriend, myself and the dog.

Anyone have any must do's while we're there. Generally be going on hikes/walks most days with the dog, but if there's anything the two of us can do while the dog stays behind at the Airbnb, i'd be interested to hear.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@swskier, the whitewater rafting on the Isere is lots of fun. I've used Franceraft a few times, and it's always been well organised.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, thanks, had thought about that sort of activity, so will check out their website.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm with @rob@rar, on this one. We use ArcAventures. The rafting will be excellent in June as the melt water fills the river.

ArcAventure will also do guiding if you want to do some climbing, but with the dog you will probably not want to stay overnight in a hut leaving the dog. In June there will also be a lot of snow about. We were caught by fresh snowfall in July at the hut by Lac La Plagne in the past. They also offer parraponting from Vallandry down to Bourg st Maurice which includes transport.

You can rent via ferrata kit (try the sports shops) and do the via ferrata at bettieres near the Ruisseau gate to the Vanoise National park https://en.peisey-vallandry.com/via-ferrata-les-bettieres.html

If you have sport climbing kit with you then the sport climbing at Roche de Fluer near Courbaton is conveinet and good. We often walk along to it for an afteroon's fun. Once again it can be hired. (https://en.lesarcs.com/to-do-in-les-arcs/activities-all-year-round/all-the-activites/rock-climbing.html)

Finally for walking do not neglect the other side of the Isere valley. Try and get there early in the morning to experience the solitude and marmots before the hoards arrive. Lac du Saut is a good starting point for some excellent high mountain scenery
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@swskier, + 1 for what @johnE says about the other side of the valley - some great hikes up around towards Cormet de Roseland (starting either off the top of the pass, or Les Chapieux village)

Whereabouts in Les Arcs are you staying - I believe the main lifts aren't opening until July, although I think that some of the mountain bike trails are opening early.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, @Arctic Roll, noted on the other side of the valley, we'll take a look at some trails.

Via ferrata was something we fancied, so will also check that out.

We're staying in 1800, won't be using the lifts much I don't think, just set off on walks from the apartment, but the weekend we arrive, is the first weekend things open for summer I believe.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swskier, If you are keen on via ferrata and want to try it more than once then you will need to buy a via ferrata set. These comprise a complex brake cord along with a couple big carabiners. You can get them from any of the sports shops or online. You will also need a harness and a climbing helmet. Climbing helmets are specifically designed to protect against stone fall. Other helmets such as cycling helmets will not do. Since you are not planning to fall the cheepest certified harness will do. Personaly I would not buy second hand kit. A guide book would alos be useful - try the bookshop above the SuperU or the Intersport in the same area. I found the one called Falaise et via ferrata en la Tarrentaise quite good. Google translate gives some funny translations.

There is a via ferrata from the top of the Cormet de Roseland that offers some fantasic views of Mont Blanc and is less crowded than Bettieres. IIRC it's called Roche du Vent. The reason is clear when you get there. (you will need a torch for this one). A walk upto the refuge du Ruitor is worth a visit. My wife, who likes this sort of thing, says the apple struddle is worth the hike alone. I think you'll need ice axes and crampons if you want to continue over to Italy. We may spend a couple days up there this summer.

Have a good trip - we will not be going out until early July.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
@swskier, If you are keen on via ferrata and want to try it more than once then you will need to buy a via ferrata set. These comprise a complex brake cord along with a couple big carabiners. You can get them from any of the sports shops or online. You will also need a harness and a climbing helmet. Climbing helmets are specifically designed to protect against stone fall. Other helmets such as cycling helmets will not do. Since you are not planning to fall the cheepest certified harness will do. Personaly I would not buy second hand kit. A guide book would alos be useful - try the bookshop above the SuperU or the Intersport in the same area. I found the one called Falaise et via ferrata en la Tarrentaise quite good. Google translate gives some funny translations.

There is a via ferrata from the top of the Cormet de Roseland that offers some fantasic views of Mont Blanc and is less crowded than Bettieres. IIRC it's called Roche du Vent. The reason is clear when you get there. (you will need a torch for this one). A walk upto the refuge du Ruitor is worth a visit. My wife, who likes this sort of thing, says the apple struddle is worth the hike alone. I think you'll need ice axes and crampons if you want to continue over to Italy. We may spend a couple days up there this summer.

Have a good trip - we will not be going out until early July.

Love Roche du Vent - do it every year and never fails to be fun. Also Cascade du Fraiche Via Ferrata is worth a go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Also Cascade du Fraiche Via Ferrata is worth a go.

I agree, very nice. If you have a bit of upper body strenth then the Toviere in Val D'Isere is definately worth a go. The exposure on the final section is wonderful. It overhangs slightly so all you see between your legs for over 50m is fresh air.

My wife also reminded me about parcour d'adventure. These are high wire courses that though they appear for children are great for children of all ages. There is a good one in the Vallandry valley with a very long zip wire.

If the weather is a bit iffy then Notre Dame des Vernettes chapel is worth a visit and you can plan your winter off piste routes while there. A much lesser known attraction is the old lead mining works above Nancroix. There are plaques explaining what went on. Napoleon may have studied there. And of course for the really bad days there is the cheese factory.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, how is the trip going? The livecams are showing a beautiful day but with still a lot of snow about. There also appears to be no one about, which is odd for a summer weekend.

Please post how you are getting on.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, it's lovely here, arrived yesterday afternoon. Resort is very, very quiet, with not a lot open. Only 1 lift open from today for biking, the Cachette lift in 1600. More lifts opening from 18/06 onwards.

We walked up to the top of first leg of the transarc yesterday and today. I had planned a longer walk today, but it was just a bit hot for the dog to be out walking, plus he cut a pad on one paw in the train station car park in Les Bossons, Chamonix, during the week, so just cautious of that as well.

Off down to BSM shortly for some food, and nip in to lidl, as the Sherpa in 1800 doesn't appear to be open.

Think we might need to hire via ferrata gear down in BSM as well, as it doesn't seem like any of the sports shops are open up here.

Apartment we are in is absolutely spot on, it's in the Résidence Les Lauzières building, a studio, but a big studio with a lovely sun terrace
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier,
We’re in the same building for a few weeks in January. Can’t wait.
When does the Les Arcs 22/23 thread start? In the autumn I guess? September?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowcrazy normally starts a new thread late Sept - but he has not posted since last September.....!?
ski holidays
@sbooker, location wise it's brilliant. Have never skied here, but can tell it would be a good location.
ski holidays
@johnE, we did stages 1 + 2 of the Les Bettières via ferrata, which I believe is the Croës spur section. I've got to say, it was harder than I imagined. I didn't have any particular issues completing it, but having since seen it rated as PD (can be reached by children) it makes it clear, we'd need to do quite a lot more before doing anything more challenging.

We really enjoyed it though, although it was one of those activities we particularly enjoyed looking back and seeing what we'd accomplished, as it was full concentration mode on the way up.

Went to Bozel yesterday for a swim in the lake there, and had a couple of drinks in the La Cave bar which was lovely. It's owned by an English lady, she took it over last June from the previous owner who just had the place as a wine store. She has a number of wines, plus Peroni and Guiness on tap, for a very reasonable €5 a pint of peroni and various cold plates/snacks on offer as well. Her husband is Irish and runs the butchers, and she was saying they're going to start doing BBQ's on Sundays during the Summer.

I'm going to do a bit of a TR when we're home of the whole trip, as it's been quite an eye opener for people that have never visited the Alps in the summer, and think it might be worthwhile for some others on the forum in a similar position.
snow conditions
@swskier, sound great.

Interested that you are enjoying life in what the French consider the shoulder season - it shows that there is an opportunity to extend the current 8/9 weeks that Arc1950 (and bits of 2000) is open atm. We've had a rough couple of years with the coronapause, getting a few more weeks in June and then Sept. for renting out would be good for everyone.
latest report
@Arctic Roll, can't not enjoy it, when most days are in the 20s and sunny, yesterday on the way back from Bozel, the van clocked 32 degs!

Arc1800 is dead though, complete ghost town, we've seen 1 small bar open in the Charvet area, and when we wandered through Villards area on Saturday, nothing was open at all, and that was roughly midday.

So we do now know the road between 1800 and BSM very well!
snow conditions
@swskier, dead indeed - I think the domain 'officially' opens July 1st, closes Sept 1st ( or nearest equivalent Saturdays). Would be very nice to get a couple of June and maybe one Sept week to extend it - but of course, there are fixed and variable costs that need to be covered, I get that - so you'd need to get a reasonable % of occupancy to make it worth the shopkeepers' while. And I'm not sure the French are prepared for June holidays!
snow conditions
@swskier, the first two sections of Les Bettières via ferrata have the rungs very close together for young children and in the peak holiday season they will be like an army of ants moving up. The top section is a bit steeper and the rungs further apart. IIRC there is even a small overhanging section (I remember pushing my neice up it a few years ago). From the top you get an excellent walk along to Lac La Plagne or the Refuge du Mont Pourri

Even when the resort and the shops are open you find yourself on the road down to Bourg quite often - for the rafting of course but also for the hiking up near the Italian boarder. There are some good walks from the Petit st Bernard.

I get a stange pleasure walking around the resort out of season. There are people about of course doing building work and other apartment owners just coming for a quiet holiday but the quietness is wonderful. Actually the maze of unused public space in the Arc 1600 are definately worth exploring. In 1600 there is alwaysone resaurant open at lunch times serving the working population. It is France afterall and everyone needs their lunch break. The only concerning thing in the autumn is coming across groups of men armed with rifles.
snow conditions
Hi Les Arcs regulars. I understand it’s too early right now but I want to start to get my head around some planning for January.
While the kids are in lessons the mornings of our first week I want to join an off piste group - hopefully the same time. Being a traditionally quiet week I’m concerned some schools won’t run an off piste group. I’ve heard good things about New Gen and our lessons with Evo2 in Tignes last March were great.
The following two weeks I plan to selectively have a few guiding days but that will be dependant on conditions.
We’re in Arc 1800.
Thanks in advance.
latest report
@sbooker, sorry, what is your question?
snow report
Sorry. A ski school that’s running an off piste group. Week after new year week.
snow report
@sbooker, have a look here.

https://www.ski-aim.com/
latest report
@sbooker, arcadventures have off piste classes and compagne des guides have off piste group trips every week. IIRC they have a couple trips a week. Contact them or call into the office in 1800.
ski holidays
Thanks for the tips
latest report
The mairie have released all the info for pricing on passes for next season. There will be NO local/workers rates this year.

For 'season' passes:

Enfin, il est proposé de réduire de 40 % le prix public des forfaits saison (passer de
1034 € à 629 € pour le Pass Classique et de 1221 € à 730 € pour le Pass Essentiel), et de
créer un forfait saison 2 jours sur 7 à un tarif réduit de 50 % par rapport au nouveau prix
du forfait saison (315 € pour le Pass Classique et 365 € pour le Pass Essentiel).

For weekend skiing, Samedi je skie is staying, and a similar scheme on a sunday looks to be coming in

Dans la continuité du « samedi je skie », qui permet pendant toute la saison de bénéficier
d’un accès au domaine skiable le samedi à un tarif réduit de - 35%, il est proposé de créer
le « dimanche malin qui permettra d'accéder au domaine à un tarif réduit de – 20 % les
dimanches de basse saison.

Looks like more train connections will be coming into BSM and they're saying the London > BSM train will become 'permanent' - not exactly sure what that means.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@timlongs, thanks for the info, that looks like a significant reduction on the price of last year's season pass. Wonder if they will also offer an early booking discount?
latest report
@rob@rar, This is more or less the price I paid last year for my season pass, but that included an early purchase discount and an over 65 discount. If they do that again it will be a very reasnoble price.

Of more interest is the 2 days out of 7 rate. This will appleal to the residents of Bourg who ski at the weekends and also the seasonal workers who will have a couple days a week off. Clearly this replaces the workers pass.
latest report
@johnE, if they offer an early booking discount (which was 20% for the last few years IIRC) on the 730€ Essential season pass that would be rather awesome!
snow report
I read the document further, and the 2 in 7 pass is still undecided.

However it seems the new pricing structure for season passes has been voted through. I don't think there will be an early booking pass. For you guys, the prices are indeed good. For locals/business owners/workers it is less good!
snow report
Though I've been in Les Arcs for a couple of days today was the first time we actually went for a walk around the resort.

They are modifying the upstairs bar area of the Cachette hotel, the area above the place of the dead tree. It looks as if it will be considerably bigger. This is an odd dead corner of Arcs 1600 that is rarely visited. Even though it is in the middle of the resort when I went up the steps there to the Combettes lift with my niece, who has been to the resort many times, she admitted she hadn't realised that that area existed. I wish them well.

The Cachette hotel itself is still being renovated and is currently closed.

There is considerable renovation work goin on at the Arpette restaurant. They have completely stripped out the quirky seating in the restaurant part. That is the area where you walk along the backs of th seats then slide down to the table. The waiting staff walk along at the same height as the seat backs. It's all very idiosyncratic and very much Les Arcs. I am sad to see it go to more universal architecture.

Natually the Arpette swimming pool was closed and since I haven't seen it open for years now I suspect it's lost for good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy