Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2021 / 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I hadn't realised there was a 1km walk in BSM once off the funicular, I don't fancy that with the kids in tow!

Kids carrying large rucksacks full of shopping at that, much like a mule train
There is a navette serving both the bottom of the funicular and the commerce area where the SuperU is situated, but I've never managed to catch it. Detailed study of the timetable may be required.
Quote:

I was think I might have been pushing it to order online and get it delivered to the UK ahead of setting off at the end of next week.

You can pick up pre-ordered pass in the lift pass office, but I don't see why you would want to do that. Actually I do. I was in La Rosiere a few weeks ago and there they had made all lift pass purchases from computer treminals (no staff) there was two terminals serving a huge queue of peole waiting to purchase them and the 6 terminals for isssuing pre-paid passes were empty. I don't know if Les Arcs has followed this model or not, I sincerely hope not, but it could be born in mind. Do any of the regulars here know? I suspect most of us just recharge our passes online.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lift pass office in Les Coches was staffed at HT.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well that sucks - just tested positive (home kit). Sorry, Boris, [b/Rob[/b], looks like we won't be meeting for a coffee this week.

Can anyone advise what the latest rules in France are? ( I'm isolating atm, but presume I need to get a PCR to validate start and end date - where from?). And what do I need to travel? interent searching finds lots of out of date info...

Jeesh, did not need this.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arctic Roll wrote:
Well that sucks - just tested positive (home kit). Sorry, Boris, Rob, looks like we won't be meeting for a coffee this week.
Sorry to hear that mate, most unlucky to catch it while you’re on holiday. Not sure what the isolation rules are, fortunately I’ve not faced that problem although I guess it’s just a matter of time before we all catch it.

BTW, I wouldn’t have been able to meet up for a coffee as I’m back in the UK this week for a family event (my parents’ Diamond Wedding Anniversary Happy ) and won’t be back in Les Arcs until early April.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arctic Roll, why did you test?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonpim, not a bad question! and one I am asking myself right now.

It's, currently, no worse than a stinking cold, and in retrospect I'm probably on day 3 of symptoms. If I hadn't tested, would I have gone skiing? Certainly - I don't feel that bad.
But as a T1 diabetic I am immuno- compromised, so tested mainly in case there was something to be concerned about, and get #early warning.
Also because we've got friends coming out to join us next week, so wanted to be assured that whatever the outcome, thy were aware of the situation (they're going to stay in Bourg a couple of days longer before coming up the mountain). I also felt I had to do right by Mrs and Mini Roll - they now know what's what, and can at least keep away from me. ( they've both tested negative)

I think it's only fair on my fellow skiers not to infect / inflict this on them - so while sitting here feeling slightly sorry for myself, I do have the warm glow of 'doing the right thing'.

But yes, testing can only tell you bad things!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Arctic Roll, Sorry to hear that you have Covid and especially sorry we will not meet up next week.

I hope you recover quickly and do not get too bad.

As you have probably found out France is still trying to contain infection and has rules and you must isolate Here is the official rules on it
Quote:

Covid rules page:
https://www.ameli.fr/assure/covid-19/symptomes-gestes-barrieres-cas-contact-et-isolement/en-cas-de-test-positif-au-covid-19

. People with a complete vaccination schedule or who contracted Covid-19 less than 4 months ago

If you have a complete vaccination schedule or if you contracted
Covid-19 less than 4 months ago, you should

Isolate yourself strictly immediately;
perform an antigen test (TAG) on the 5th day after the date of onset of symptoms or the date of collection of the positive test if you have no symptoms:
if negative and you have been symptom free for 48 hours, you can end your isolation on day 5,
if the test is positive or if you have not performed a test, you must continue your isolation until day 7 after the date of onset of symptoms or the date of collection of the positive test if you have no symptoms. There is no need to re-test on day 7.

Please note: to ensure continuity of care, an exceptional exemption from isolation for essential activities in the health and medico-social sector and for asymptomatic and slightly symptomatic cases is possible.
The professionals concerned are invited to contact their institution.
2. Unvaccinated persons or persons with an incomplete vaccination schedule who did not contract Covid-19 less than 4 months ago

If you are not vaccinated or have an incomplete vaccination schedule and did not contract Covid-19 less than 4 months ago, you should

isolate yourself immediately ;
perform an antigen test (TAG) or RT-PCR test on the 7th day after the date of onset of symptoms or the date of collection of the positive test if you have no symptoms:
If the test is negative and you have been symptom free for 48 hours, you can end your isolation on day 7,
if positive or if you have not tested, you must continue your isolation until the 10th day after the date of onset of symptoms or the date of collection of the positive test if you have no symptoms. There is no need to re-test on day 10.

3. Children under 12 years of age, regardless of vaccination status

If the positive person is a child under 12 years of age, whether vaccinated or not, he/she should :

be strictly isolated immediately ;
carry out an antigenic test (TAG) on the 5th day after the date of onset of symptoms or the date of collection of the positive test if he/she has no symptoms:
if negative and the child has been symptom free for 48 hours, you can end isolation on day 5,
if the test is positive or if no test has been done, the child should continue to be isolated until day 7 after the date of onset of symptoms or the date of collection of the positive test if the child is symptom free. There is no need to retest on day 7.

What if there are symptoms at the end of the isolation period?

If you have a temperature at the end of the isolation period, contact your doctor. It is advisable to wait another 48 hours after the fever has disappeared before ending the isolation. If you have difficulty breathing, you should immediately call 15 (or 114 for deaf or hard of hearing people).
Time off work

If you need to take time off work, you can request it on the dedicated teleservice "declare ameli". This leave will be compensated without a waiting day and with an employer's supplement. Positive patients who have received an SMS from the Assurance Maladie are invited to go directly to the teleservice to request their leave.

If your state of health has not stabilised at the end of your isolation, your GP may extend your leave.
Monitoring your health

In general, recovery takes place within a few days with rest. To monitor your health, it is advisable to take your temperature twice a day. In case of fever or headache, it is possible to take paracetamol (not ibuprofen), not more than 1 gram and up to 3 times a day (i.e. a maximum of 3 grams a day in total). The usual treatments should be continued.

Contact your doctor if your symptoms change, if you have any unusual symptoms, if you are unsure about your treatment or if you have any other health problems. If you have difficulty breathing, you should immediately call 15 (or 114 for the deaf or hard of hearing).
List contact persons for contact tracing

The identification of contact persons is essential in the fight against the spread of the epidemic. Carried out as soon as possible, it allows to limit the constitution of transmission chains and the occurrence of clustered cases of Covid-19 in the territories

To list your contact cases, you can use the teleservice "List my contact cases" on the website https://declare.ameli.fr/listermescascontacts.

Contact cases are individuals with whom you have been in contact without barrier measures and if you or your contact was not wearing a maximum protection mask (e.g. a category 1 surgical mask or a FFP2 mask):

within the last 48 hours before the onset of symptoms if you have any,
in the 7 days prior to collection if you have no symptoms.

If you have received an SMS informing you of your positivity

When a person is positive to Covid-19, he/she receives an SMS asking him/her to declare on the teleservice "List my contact cases" the persons crossed before knowing that they had Covid-19. The teleservice is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from the link indicated in the SMS and also directly on the website https://declare.ameli.fr/listermescascontacts. It takes about ten minutes to use. Thanks to this teleservice, the Assurance Maladie will be able to send very quickly and directly to these people the health instructions adapted to their situation. The list of contact cases identified is integrated into a secure information system called Contact Covid. This will help to organise their care more easily (tests, work stoppage, etc.).

At the time of identification of the list of contacts, you are free to give your consent or not to have your identity revealed to these contact cases. Learn more about the "List my case contacts" teleservice.

Then, quickly inform your contact cases by asking them to apply the instructions detailed on the ameli page dedicated to contact cases.
If you are called by the Assurance Maladie

The health investigator will help you draw up this list. The exchange will consist of tracing the history of close contacts that the positive person has had without respecting the health measures. The professionals collecting this information are subject to professional secrecy.

The information to be provided concerns

the identity of contact cases (surname, first name, date of birth),
contact details (telephone, address, social security number or e-mail).

At the time of the identification of the contact list, the patient is free to give or withhold consent for his or her identity to be revealed to his or her contact cases.

The list of identified contact cases is integrated into a secure information system called Contact Covid. Health insurance investigators will be able to contact these contacts to organise their rapid treatment (testing, isolation, etc.).

Learn more about the definition of a contact person.
In case of a negative screening test for Covid-19

In case of a negative test result, it is important to continue to strictly observe the barrier measures.

If symptoms compatible with Covid-19 appear, persist or worsen, it is recommended to contact your doctor.
Contact person

If you live with the Covid-19 positive person or if you have simply been in contact with him/her, you will find all the information on health measures in the page "What happens when you have been in contact with a person who is ill with Covid-19".

Who to contact?

For procedures with the Assurance Maladie, online services are to be preferred in this period of health crisis.

If you have a question, you can contact the contact tracing teams on 09
74 75 76 78 from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm.

For any questions about vaccination or the TousAntiCovid app, a free telephone hotline is available on 0 800 087 148.

There are also rules on providing contacts.

Quote:

A teleservice to declare contact cases

The teleservice "List my contact cases" allows Covid-19 positive people to easily list the people they have been in contact with before knowing they had Covid-19. It is very important to declare contact cases to enable the Assurance Maladie to inform them of the health instructions to be followed.

The teleservice is available at https://declare.ameli.fr/listermescascontacts.

If you are a parent of a positive child and you need to stop work, you must declare yourself as a contact case of your child.

I hope all this helps. With luck you might be able to get out skiing again on this trip and return home at the end of it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks@johnE, that all sounds standard fare and something I can deal with. given I suspect this is day 3 of symptoms, hopefully I will be out and about and able to meet up with you next week- if you want to! I'll keep you appraised of progress.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rob@rar, we are in les arcs from March 29th to April 13th. Are you around?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, we are in les arcs from March 29th to April 13th. Are you around?
Yes, hopefully. Not quite sure of dates, but probably 2nd week of April so good to catch up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all, quick Arc 1800 question

where is the bagagerie in Les Villards 1800? It is unclear on the map and says it's in the bus stop but when looking on google earth and from past visits to Les Villards the bus stop is an underground road with no shops/rooms for baggage storage. Is it a new shop?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was in the underground area/bus stop last week, there's plenty of room down there, with WC's, Showers and a large waiting room so i would assume that it's the same place..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quick question- obviously brain slowed by virus, but can’t find it on les arcs website:

the extra 1/2 day that comes free at the beginning of a week’Essential’s pass: does it start at a particular time, or is it just a 4 hour pass that stops when times up?

Long involved story which will share when not typing on an iPad… Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scrap that just found it. - from 12:30
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We came back from our 3 days of skiing at Les Arcs (our first time there) and all the tips from this forum were amazingly helpful. Here's a few things I noticed as a first timer who's used to skiing just the big west coast mountains of North America:

- we had zero new snow over the 3 days (in fact, I don't think it snowed at all the week before we arrive) so conditions were poor and packed down/icy.
Anything off piste was super crusty and not fun to ski on.

- aside from just it being a bit busy just getting off the Funi at 1600 and around Cachette lift in the morning 10am, the rest of the mountain didn't seem too busy and we didn't need the priority lines with the pricier passes

- while the temps were generally warm, around -1C to -5C and cloudy to sunny, we found the runs on 1600 and 1800 and Vallandry side less fun overall.
Could not find any good tree runs to go thru.

- our last 2 days we spent mostly in the bowl of 1950 and 2000 and really enjoyed it

- did the Aiguille Rouge peak (took forever to get there from the Funi/1600 base) and skied almost to the bottom of Villaroger, but got so bored of the run that we stopped to catch the last lift up (Violettes). I did it once, and probably wouldn't do it again. The views from the top were nice but nothing overly memorable.

- our best memories: our first ride on the Pre Saint Espirit lift going into the bowl has some very impressive views, simply breathtaking. Also had fun doing the various runs around the Arcabulle lift and the Grand Col area (less people), fun moguls. Would've like to ski down some of the black runs around Varet lift, but lack of snow and dull rental ski edge and loose boots didn't instill much confidence.

- fun to sit on beach chairs at the Energy 3000 near the Plagnettes lift just to have a cold drink and soak up some sun (never did that before at a ski resort)

- had some amazing seafood platter at Bulle Cafe

- don't rent from Skimium in Bourg Saint Maurice - our boots were old and liners were packed down, ski edges weren't sharp (I usually sharpen my own skis at home so I know what a sharp edge feels like), and these were the pricier Dynamique package that I ordered ahead of time. Plus it was a major pain to carry the skis from their store (just across the street from the train station entrance) all the way to the Funicular. Next time I would just rent from Intersport or Precision ski up at 1600 (if staying in Bourg Saint Maurice again) and store the gear in the overnight lockers next to the Funi.

- we really liked our apartment unit at L'Angival in Bourg Saint Maurice. Short walk to Lidl grocery store to buy lots of good food items (longer walk to Super U) and near lots of restaurants and Boulangeries. There's a short cut path to walk thru the town to the cross bridge to get to the Funi faster (don't need to walk all the way thru the train station).

- couldn't buy lift tickets at the train station info booth, but had to walk to the Funi station to buy them from their automated kiosks the night before. I couldn't reload them online as my Canadian credit card kept requiring me to send a text message to my phone (verified by visa) and I didn't have my regular cell phone with me with roaming (had a Orange Europe SIM card). Luckily their automated kiosks were able to reload my cards for lift tickets and I got the Saturday discount that way (not just online like their website says).

- my teenage kids did the Luge 2000 but they weren't too crazy about it, as they kept losing control and wiping out.

Some photos:

ski holidays
In les arcs at the moment. It's snowing. Ok at the moment it iwwet snow but it is getting colder.

The resort is pretty quiet. So quiet that when we arrived last night we were able to park 50m from the front door of our apartment. This is almost unheard of in the winter and summer seasons.

As you may guess I'm having lunch. We are in the arpette and I've just had a plate of fish and chips. This cost 13.90 euros. The local pub in the uk charges 13.95 pounds for the same dish.
latest report
Quote:

The resort is pretty quiet

Strathclyde university ski trip arrives Saturday Laughing enjoy the peace whilst it lasts
latest report
I've got to come back to this thread and say how much we loved Les Arcs when we stayed there a couple of weeks ago. I'm appreciative of the tips from the forum members. We stayed in 1800 and found it perfect for our planned family trip in January 2023. In the same trip a couple of weeks ago we also stayed at Tignes to evaluate it's suitability. Whilst Tignes was fantastic we now we have an Airbnb apartment in Les Villards (Nova 1) booked for 25 days starting January 5. We think Les Arcs will be more suitable for that time of year and the accessibility to Bourg is handy. We also found Les Arcs a touch cheaper too.

Can. Not. Wait.
snow conditions
One odd thing I noticed when skiing in la rossiere in January was how expensive it was compared to les arcs
A plat du jour in la rossiere was 24 euro compared to 14 in les arcs. Basically 180 euro in total for the 3 of us over a week.
latest report
Very highly recommended restaurant - Belliou La Fumée. At the bottom of the Pre Saint Esprit lift. Not snow related though.
snow report
@sbooker, great choice. That's going to be a great trip. If you don't get some pow in 25 days then you are the unluckiest man alive Laughing Laughing
snow report
Today the clouds have been down and it's been snowing almost all day. It was even snowing in Bourg when I nipped down to do some shopping. As it was unpleasnt at altitude we spend the afternoon skiing in the tree lined pistes of 1600. At times it was a bit tricky as you moved from powder to ice to powder in the space of a couple turns but it was fun.

The thermometer at the bottom of the Cachette lift was showing -5 this afternoon.

The new snow is not adhering to the old snow very well so I expect we'll have a high avalanche risk, but it looks as if this easter may be one of the best end of seasons of recent times.

Now I just hope the visibility would improve
ski holidays
@Layne,
I figure on average there would be 3 snow cycles over 25 days in January. So yes - I expect a powder day or two.
snow conditions
@Macker13,

No lockers in Arc 1800 and there is only luggage storage service on Saturdays at the bus terminal.
However, I saw ski lockers at the Bourg Saint Maurice funicular station.

Checkout the video below at timing 0:35, try contacting Intersport to confirm.
https://www.intersport-bourg.com/en/depart-funiculaire
snow conditions
Still snowing in Bourg, and just about settling) as we say goodbye to LesArcs for another season.
Going to be epic for those skiing this week!
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
Still snowing in Bourg, and just about settling) as we say goodbye to LesArcs for another season.
Going to be epic for those skiing this week!
Nice to see winter return in April, after what has been a less than awesome season. Still hoping to get out before the resort closes, but a Covid infection at home and some family matters might make that difficult now. Can’t complain though as I’ve had 7 or 8 weeks this season, and the opening week in Les Arcs was as good as it gets, with fresh tracks in abundance underneath a blue sky in a quiet resort. Bliss!
snow conditions
The intermittent cloud has made skiing a little challenging today. Sometimes sunshine sometimes 3m visibility. The snow has been scraped off in some places exposing some hard pack beneath.
Weekend crowds mean the resort is a lot busier but still no waiting at all at lifts.
The traverse piste is closed from 1800 to 1600, as is combe.
ski holidays
Just had a look at J2ski and they have forecast 83cmof snow over the next 7 days.
looks like all of 2022s snow is coming this week!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergfex, who I find very accurate, has changed the forecast for next week, not as much snow sadly...
Looking forward to arriving on the 15th though.

https://www.bergfex.com/les-arcs-bourg-saint-maurice/wetter/prognose/
snow report
The low cloud has broken up a bit today and we've seen some sunshine for the first time on this trip. And we could even see where we were going above 2100m Eh oh!
The snow is in excellent condition but there are a few runs closed.
Busier still today but still straight onto every lift. Hopefully quieter tomorrow when the weekend visitors leave
latest report
Splashed out on lunch today - filet mignon with mustard sauce, chips and a plate full of mixed veg (which looked like the came from a tin) 17€.
Yesterday it was 9€ burger from rocky mountain. Highly recommended.
snow report
Can anyone recommend best place to park in Bourg for a couple of days?
Our car broke down 60 miles away and we need to pick it up midweek all being well, and if the snow that some say is coming does turn up in bucket loads we’d rather not drive it up and get stuck!
Any info much appreciated!
snow conditions
Arrived in 1950 yesterday…

Absolutely excellent today. The reds under Vagere had me beaming from ear to ear…

Haven’t been in resort since 2019 and nice to see further improvements have been made. Whilst I had seen there was a new gondola to replace the chair in Vallandry, I was surprised to see a new restaurant by the Derby and the new picnic area up on the ridge.
snow conditions
Bergfex has updated to 100+cm Thursday to Saturday!!
Potential high freeze line though

https://www.bergfex.com/les-arcs-bourg-saint-maurice/wetter/prognose/
snow report
Look out for Strathclyde uni doing the skim pond today. Could be messy Toofy Grin
I'm so glad we bought my son bought brand new pink Full Tilt boots at Xmas. They will get trashed no doubt rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

Look out for Strathclyde uni doing the skim pond today. Could be messy Toofy Grin

Very messy it was covered in 15cm of snow yesterday and fenced off.

Sun is shining today and it is warmer - above freezing at 1600 this afternoon. This is softenning the top couple of cm of snow making for spring ski conditions below about 2000m. The resort feels less busy today but we encountered our first ski lift queue today about 5 - 10 minutes for the AR telepherique. It is such a fast lift that I didn't mind. Face masks are to be worn in the telepherique and luckily I found one in my pocket.

The snow was getting soft as we approached Villaroger but there were no bare patches or puddles of water to be seen. I've known worse in January.

Another expensive lunch today, a 14.50€ omlette in la Ferme. I'll have to start reducing my spend - tomorrow.
snow conditions
Apologies for slight thread drift but haven’t energy to trawl through searches.
We are flying Heathrow to Geneva on Friday next week and hiring car to drive down to our apartment in 2000.
Simple question please. What are the rules for COVID passes when we land in Geneva, on to France & back etc?
No pcr tests are needed either way now? We are triple vaccinated and have the passes in Apple wallet.
snow report
@thefatcontroller, I might be wrong, but I believe all you need flying is the honour statement and your qr code.

Today I saw a few first: the first mountain bikers of the season and the first monoski of the slush season.

We went to the mile8 this evening. The pool was completely empty when we arrived. Half a dozen girls arrived later but we moved to the deserted wellness area. I worry that the facilities may not be making sufficient to survive. But it's nice for me.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@thefatcontroller, I might be wrong, but I believe all you need flying is the honour statement and your qr code.

Today I saw a few first: the first mountain bikers of the season and the first monoski of the slush season.

We went to the mile8 this evening. The pool was completely empty when we arrived. Half a dozen girls arrived later but we moved to the deserted wellness area. I worry that the facilities may not be making sufficient to survive. But it's nice for me.

The UK is on the French green list now, so the statement of honour (or whatever it was called) has gone.
ski holidays
@johnE, @sugarmoma666, Thanks both. We did Sri Lanka in November and had to do so many PCR tests we spent more on them than curry, this will make a nice change.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy