Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2021 / 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks guys. Sounds very hopeful then. Can't wait to get sliding again. Appreciated Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is the big outdoor swimming pool in 1800 heated and open in spring?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone want to estimate the chance of a fresh snow dump before the season ends? Not looking good next week... Really wanna ski cairn again
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really hope it snows again, still 4 weeks til we come!

Now starting to think about other good things too - like the food!
So was hoping for some eatery recommendations. We’re staying in arc 1800.

There’ll be 2 families of 4 to start the week, then another family of 4 are joining us a few days later.
So looking for places that can accommodate our large group.
Assuming we’ll probably have to book (closer to the time).
Places that are good with kids.

Somewhere nice one night, as it’s the husbands birthday while we’re out there.
And definitely a fondue/raclette another evening.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've heard it was ultra busy this week in les arcs? Was this week an exception or has it been like this the past months and potentially the next few weeks?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telarid wrote:
I've heard it was ultra busy this week in les arcs?

Heard from who?

telarid wrote:
Was this week an exception or has it been like this the past months and potentially the next few weeks?

French holidays always busy, next few weeks always less busy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
telarid wrote:
I've heard it was ultra busy this week in les arcs?

Heard from who?

telarid wrote:
Was this week an exception or has it been like this the past months and potentially the next few weeks?

French holidays always busy, next few weeks always less busy.

My friends who were there on 8th till 12th, said it was insanely busy. I was worried it would be like that generally all season due to everyone wanting to ski after not being able to the last two years. But didn't realize it was french holidays which is comforting
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@telarid, no worries. Different people have different expectations when it comes to "busy" anyway but yeah thinks will have quietened down now for sure.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was looking at the forecast for this coming week while we are there March 17-18-19. First day or two - no snow (nothing forecasted for the entire week, ugh) but then last day it should finally snow 3 cm. Weather looks mild zero to -5C.

Since it's our first time there at Les Arcs, on the first sunny day, where should we go for the best skiing? We're totally open to exploring. The only thing we hate is icy terrain.

Also if we want to get nice views from the peak of Aiguille Rouge, should we go up on the first day (assuming it's a bluebird type day)? I hear it's a pain to get up there and some said it's almost not worth it. I watched some youtube videos of guys bombing it down the 8km piste runs all the way to Villaroger - dodging slow skiiers, going thru narrow fenced off piste sections - not exactly my idea of fun mountain skiing (I like my wide open bowls, some steeps, spaced out trees to weave thru, etc).

Since we are coming from Bourg Saint Maurice on the funi, do we have to hop on the bus shuttle to ride to 1950 or 2000 (extra 25 min bus ride)?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

My friends who were there on 8th till 12th, said it was insanely busy.

The livecams showed Les Arcs to be relatively quiet last week. If your friends thought it insanely busy then the resort is probably not for them.
Quote:

But didn't realize it was french holidays which is comforting
The School holidays finished the week before.
Quote:

Since it's our first time there at Les Arcs, on the first sunny day, where should we go for the best skiing?

In Les Arcs there are few spaced out trees, but lots of open bowls. Since you are in Bourg st Maurice I would start with the runs around 1600 - Perhaps Arolle, or Mont Blanc. and gradually progress west towards the Vallandry sector. In general the trees are fairly tightly packed in Les Arcs.
Quote:

Since we are coming from Bourg Saint Maurice on the funi, do we have to hop on the bus shuttle to ride to 1950 or 2000 (extra 25 min bus ride)?

If you have luggage with you then I Suspect you will need to take the bus. Otherwise just start your skiing from Arc 1600. I do every day. From 1600 there are various options to get to the 2000 area. Personally I would not reccommend going via secret until you are familular with the area but take Cachette and Arpette then cruise down to 2000.

I cannot answer about going up the Aiguille Rouge, since beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, I must say I've been up alot but one summer I just took the telepherque up just to look at the view with no intension of skiing. There is more than one route down once you leave the glacier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@royaljelly288, the aguille rouge is definitely worth it though the snow cover this year isn't that great so there was a big flat section when I was there in late January but for skiers that's ok,us boarders not so much. There are loads of good runs in Les arcs, in fact my favourite thing about the area is how you can lap the entire domain (bar la plage), my personal favourite is lapping arc 2000 downto 1950 and then over to 1600 to take the fantastic mont blanc run and back again by arpette. You won't be short of options that's for sure it's a brilliant area and seen some good investment recently to improve lifts and piste side restaurants.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey, after a long week of ski buddies getting COVID before we even travel, I now find myself solo traveller in Les Arcs 1800 on my own.

I'm looking for any casual ski groups or solo looking to do Reds/Blues this week (13th to 19th March).

Happy to ski to any of the villages to meet up.

33 M Skier, good month or so of ski exp.

I've posted in the solo/group subforum as well.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CaptainBeck wrote:
Hey, after a long week of ski buddies getting COVID before we even travel, I now find myself solo traveller in Les Arcs 1800 on my own.

I'm looking for any casual ski groups or solo looking to do Reds/Blues this week (13th to 19th March).

Happy to ski to any of the villages to meet up.

33 M Skier, good month or so of ski exp.

I've posted in the solo/group subforum as well.

I’ll be there in a couple of days. A first timer to Les Arcs. We’re in 1800.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

My friends who were there on 8th till 12th, said it was insanely busy.

The livecams showed Les Arcs to be relatively quiet last week. If your friends thought it insanely busy then the resort is probably not for them.

they've been there a few times pre covid
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can anyone recommend a private transfer company from Geneva to Les arc 1950 and back over Xmas/new year 2022. It will be a private hire for 6 persons.
snow report
TOOTIE wrote:
Can anyone recommend a private transfer company from Geneva to Les arc 1950 and back over Xmas/new year 2022. It will be a private hire for 6 persons.

Used this firm a few times, very reliable.

https://www.taxibourgsaintmaurice.com/
snow conditions
@telarid, hearing from other owners out there atm, it does sound as if it is quite busy. Or rather, busier [than would normally be expected at this time].
snow report
@telarid, not that busy at the moment in Vallandry, slightly busier in 1800, much busier in 1950/2000 bust still not really busy. Snow very soft, heavy and pink with sand
snow conditions
Missed all of last year but booked now for Easter week, it will be nice to see Arc 2000 and our apartment again..
Late April, the latest we will have gone, lets's hope there is some snow left...
snow report
@thefatcontroller, There will be snow left. It doesn't completly clear the Arc2000 bowl until June. I've been there in July and been unable to reach the Turia hut due to fresh snow.
snow conditions
My first day today in Les Arcs and much busier than I expected. I have no perspective though.
Good day and nice to be back on skis after two years. Today was the warmest I’ve ever skied in - including spring in Australia. It was 16 degrees celcius at 1600 metres at about 2pm.
ski holidays
@sbooker, should get a bit colder tomorrow and then a bit more the day after. Cloudy though.
latest report
@sbooker, it was warmer yesterday.
latest report
Since I'm off to Les Arcs in 11 days time I've started looking at the livecams and started with my local cam at Combettes. There was not a single person (even walking or lifties) visible. If it wasn't for the lift moving I would have thought the resort was closed. A couple people around 1800, but none visible coming down the piste. Saturday's are not usually this quiet. Is it the heat that is keeping people off the snow?
ski holidays
@johnE, it’s quiet today, but not empty. Snow is very springlike, icy first thing softening as the day goes on, so I think locals aren’t coming up the hill for a weekend ski in usual numbers. The sun is back today, and a little cooler than earlier on the week.
ski holidays
I'm out to Les Arcs soon and, due to timings of childrens' ski school etc I'll be looking at a late afternoon run from the Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger. As I need to then get back over to 1800, I was wondering if I can drop down the Rhonaz blue run and then pick up the Comborciere lift back over to the other side of the ridge (to save the time of having to take the Droset lift and dropping into Arc 2000). It's hard to work out from the piste map whether this is viable or whether Rhonaz drops in down the hill from this lift - is anyone able to clarify this?
snow report
@Yukon, As with most things today - there is a video!

http://youtube.com/v/GXjwYs2YnMw

this is from top of Aiguille rouge then drops onto Rhonaz (I THINK!) at 13.45 - run is marked blue 9 then morphs into blue 1

Oh, and welcome to SnowHeads..

=====
I have never done the run - someone with better knowledge than me may post later...
ski holidays
@albob, thanks for the fast reply, and for the welcome! Certainly the signpost suggests it is possible, but perhaps a short walk up the road at the end.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Yukon, You may not be able to ski all the way down to Villaroger at this stage of the season, depending on snow cover. Check beforehand. Either way, Replat and Plan des Violettes are both fairly slow chairs. However, you may be planning on heading straight to Rhonaz and not going further down. Keep left coming down from top of Plan de Violettes to take Rhonaz. You'll need to take skis off at the end of Rhonaz to cross the road up to 1950/2000. The video above shows the old Comborciere lift on the right at around 18.18; new one is straight ahead along with Pre St Esprit. You can't miss it.
ski holidays
Quote:

As I need to then get back over to 1800, I was wondering if I can drop down the Rhonaz blue run and then pick up the Comborciere lift back over to the other side of the ridge (to save the time of having to take the Droset lift and dropping into Arc 2000).

This a route I use quite often to get back to 1600. There is a little bit of poling needed and of course you have to take your skis off to cross the road and walk to the Comboucier lift. As @195062, says you may not be able to get down to Villaroger but they do make a lot of effort to keep the run open.
latest report
195062 wrote:
@Yukon, You may not be able to ski all the way down to Villaroger at this stage of the season, depending on snow cover. Check beforehand. Either way, Replat and Plan des Violettes are both fairly slow chairs. However, you may be planning on heading straight to Rhonaz and not going further down. Keep left coming down from top of Plan de Violettes to take Rhonaz. You'll need to take skis off at the end of Rhonaz to cross the road up to 1950/2000. The video above shows the old Comborciere lift on the right at around 18.18; new one is straight ahead along with Pre St Esprit. You can't miss it.

Thank you! Yes, I'm afraid either snow or time will constrain me - but great to know that this is a viable route - appreciate the response!
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

As I need to then get back over to 1800, I was wondering if I can drop down the Rhonaz blue run and then pick up the Comborciere lift back over to the other side of the ridge (to save the time of having to take the Droset lift and dropping into Arc 2000).

This a route I use quite often to get back to 1600. There is a little bit of poling needed and of course you have to take your skis off to cross the road and walk to the Comboucier lift. As @195062, says you may not be able to get down to Villaroger but they do make a lot of effort to keep the run open.

That's great to know - thank you! Yes - from the video it did seem that some poling might be needed!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 21-03-22 10:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hi all. We’ll what’s to saythat differs from the other reports. Nothing really, it’s spring conditions, the pistes are reasonably busy at the known pinch points, but the lift queues are not existent.

Could do with more snow,but then that’s always the case, no matter how much you’ve got, you always want more!

It’s European Gay Ski week hosted by 1950 and 2000 at the moment, so some colourful characters around, and some great rainbow themed ski suits, and quite a lively evening scene. Looking forward to a big street party this lunch time.
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
Hi all. We’ll what’s to saythat differs from the other reports. Nothing really, it’s spring conditions, the pistes are reasonably busy at the known pinch points, but the lift queues are not existent.

Could do with more snow,but then that’s always the case, no matter how much you’ve got, you always want more!

It’s European Gay Ski week hosted by 1950 and 2000 at the moment, so some colourful characters around, and some great rainbow themed ski suits, and quite a lively evening scene. Looking forward to a big street party this lunch time.

Ah that'll explain the rainbow flags attached to loads of skiers at the weekend.
ski holidays
Hi - I'm off to Les Arcs 1800 with the family for 2 weeks over Easter and had a couple of questions I'd hoped this group could help me with...

We're a family of 4, myself, my wife and 2 kids and I'd seen that you can get discount family ski passes (-30EUR per person I think), so long as the passes were bought at the same time, same number of days etc... It wasn't clear to me though if you had to buy the passes ahead of time on the website or whether I could buy the passes in the resort & still get the discount?

The other question was on getting to Bourg St Maurice. We'll be driving over and staying in a self catering apartment so could see the need for a supermarket trip at some point, the funicular looked a good way of doing this but I wasn't sure how I'd get from 1600 to 1800 with no skis and a rucksack full of food? Would it be easier just to drive down & back if I need to get back to 1800?
snow report
DJT wrote:
The other question was on getting to Bourg St Maurice. We'll be driving over and staying in a self catering apartment so could see the need for a supermarket trip at some point, the funicular looked a good way of doing this but I wasn't sure how I'd get from 1600 to 1800 with no skis and a rucksack full of food? Would it be easier just to drive down & back if I need to get back to 1800?
If you have a car it’s a much better option to drive down to Bourg for grocery shopping. You’ll have a wider range of groceries and generally a bit cheaper in the large (and very nice) SuperU supermarket. Depending on whether your accommodation provides free parking, you might have to pay the resort parking fee before you leave 1800, but this is straightforward, with pay machines in all the main car parks. The drive down to Bourg from 1800 is around 15-20 minutes.
snow report
@DJT, Geting from 1600 to 1800 is easy - after you get off the funicular just walk 50 or so metres and catch the bus. There will be a bigger walk in 1800 than that.

However the walk from the bottom of the funicular to the SuperU is non trivial (over a km) . The Aldi or Lidl (whichever one it is) is closer but still will require a walk. The SuperU is actually quite a nice place to shop where you can get some foods you just don't see in the Uk such as a large variety of fish and sea food as well as meats such as rabbit. It's well worth the trip. The veg counter is not so great, however.

Personally I'd drive down. The only time I've walked for a big grocery shop is when the resort is packed full and I'm concerned I'd ever find anywhere to park on my return to 1600. Remember to take bags or boxes for the shopping (and a one euro coin).

The lift passes should be available in the lift pass office. You have missed the discount period which was before christmas
snow report
DJT wrote:
We're a family of 4, myself, my wife and 2 kids and I'd seen that you can get discount family ski passes (-30EUR per person I think), so long as the passes were bought at the same time, same number of days etc... It wasn't clear to me though if you had to buy the passes ahead of time on the website or whether I could buy the passes in the resort & still get the discount?

Either works. That discount is standard all season. We purchased at a lift pass office at HT (Les Coches but it works the same everywhere across Paradiski.

DJT wrote:

We do our supermarket run on the way in - usually Albertville. We then just buy bread/pastries daily.
snow report
@DJT,
If timing allows you could plan your grocery trip around a visit to the excellent Thai restaurant in BSM.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=the+cherry+garden+bourg+saint&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari
snow conditions
That Thai restaurant looks great thanks for the recommendation!

Sounds like taking the car shopping is certainly the way to go, I hadn't realised there was a 1km walk in BSM once off the funicular, I don't fancy that with the kids in tow!

Good to hear too that I can purchase the family (discount) pass in the resort, I was think I might have been pushing it to order online and get it delivered to the UK ahead of setting off at the end of next week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy