Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland updates and snow reports 2021-22

Poster: A snowHead
If there was a glitch and they knew they had oversold then why continue to sell to "walk ups"?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheap online ticketing system - electronic ticket with QR code issued to phone. Ticket can be shown to lifties for visual check, plus they can do random checks by scanning the QR code (to weed-out any chancers who have a screenshot of their mates ticket). That should work?? And fraction of cost of installing actual gates.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JimboS wrote:
If there was a glitch and they knew they had oversold then why continue to sell to "walk ups"?

Just speculation, we don’t actually know that was the case..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A QR code on your phone simply isn't going to work at Glenshee. Taking your phone out of your pocket in the horizontal sleet isnt going to be a solution
The Lecht have installed a ski data ticketing system that can be recharged online - a barrier at the bottom of each lift scans your pass that is in your pocket (the same as in most of Europe). It works really well.
I just dont understand why Glenshee and Glencoe have introduced online ticketing, but you still need to queue up to get your ticket - totally pointless.
If all the centres had a ski data system, you would only need one ski card and could recharge it for whichever ski centre you wanted to visit that day.

I am a huge supporter of Scottish skiing, but Glenshee's 'online' ticketing just smacks of "the punters have always queued up to buy a ticket, so why would we change that".
It is the year 2022 - why on earth would anyone need to queue up for a lift pass, other than first timers who are buying their first ski data rechargable card??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On a more positive note. Now I've moved a bit further north, only 47miles from Glenshee, I've been thinking about a season pass for next season. The break even for number of trips would be 10. Say total cost of £325 for pass and fuel for 10 trips £120.

My rules for a ski day in Glenshee are.

Not first bluebird day.
Not the weekend
Not school holidays.
Not low cloud or fog.
Not high wind.
At least 50% of area open.

Given I have total flexibility other than 3 weeks in the Alps over Jan, Feb, and March.

What do you think the chances are of 10 days that fit the above criteria?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JimboS,
Approximately Puzzled .......oh, about zero Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JimboS, season passes in Scotland are only for locals who get discounts and can get there on an afternoon for when the weather changes. Of course, every rule has exceptions, and for some who are prepared to ski in any condition with limited uplifts and when there are long queues, season passes are good value!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JimboS, the fuel cost probably shouldn't be factored in to the break-even calculation as you'd be paying that regardless of the type of pass you had.

I think on average you'd get more than 10 days out of a season pass (within your criteria) but it would vary between less than 10 and more than 10 depending on how good the season was. A lot of the days might be consecutive - would you really want to ski them all?

>50% of the area open might be problematic, depending on how you define that. I've found Glenshee a bit slow to open up beyond the middle of the middle valley, and there are often days where the Cairnwell / Butcharts, Sunnyside and Tom Dearg / Cluny are open but nothing beyond that.

Weekends and school holidays are not always as bad as you might think; it depends on what the snow / weather / crowds have been like in previous days, and what conditions are like at the other ski centres.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tele wrote:

The Lecht have installed a ski data ticketing system that can be recharged online - a barrier at the bottom of each lift scans your pass that is in your pocket (the same as in most of Europe). It works really well.
I just dont understand why Glenshee and Glencoe have introduced online ticketing, but you still need to queue up to get your ticket - totally pointless.
If all the centres had a ski data system, you would only need one ski card and could recharge it for whichever ski centre you wanted to visit that day.

We’ll see how well it works, the ski data on CairnGorm has been a shambles. The gates are a PITA to maintain in terms of IT and keeping approaches to the lifts level. They’ve often been hand writing tickets in the ticket office and a lot of the time the gates are bypassed.

It functions at Nevis for the gondola with the gates inside on only that lift, but there’s nothing skidata infrastructure wise on the mountain. There’s plenty of chat about the extent to which people chance skiing Nevis on gondola tickets and beginner zone tickets etc.

The Glencoe and Glenshee online system came about from preparations for operating under lockdown where numbers and where people were coming from was required to be limited. Grand total of 10 days use under lockdown before the ski areas got shutdown ! rolling eyes

The point of online sales this year was to cap numbers turning up on site to prevent exactly the carnage that happened at Glenshee on Friday - which was inevitable given the past 2 years of pent up demand.

Glenshee barely has enough staff to function at all - so an omnishambles was the only outcome of not restricting numbers and allowing walk ups!

I see Glencoe is expressly saying no walk ups on Sunday - so they’ve seen what happened! If the other week had been a free for all at Glencoe there would have been a queue to Tyndrum after the carpark was filled! Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah I agree, the Glenshee system for booking seems to be as well as walk ups. Like you I thought they set a hill capacity and sold those tickets , odd.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

A QR code on your phone simply isn't going to work at Glenshee. Taking your phone out of your pocket in the horizontal sleet isnt going to be a solution

Other way round in my mind - I can’t see it being practical or economic for Glenshee to implement gates at all their lifts scattered across the ‘3 valleys’. Whereas most folk have their phone out of the their pocket regularly anyway to check messages etc…. So I don’t see that being a showstopper.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@paulo, Also, you would only really need to show it at the carpark level lifts.

But, playing devil's advocate, I would find accessing and showing it easy. A beginner on a snowboard faffing at the front of Sunnyside queues? Less so.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GreenDay wrote:
@paulo, Also, you would only really need to show it at the carpark level lifts.

That's probably true. Elsewhere, the only people reasonably able to steal rides will be those with touring kit.

Additionally, as someone may have alluded to earlier, weather conditions are quite unlike the Alps, and skidata barriers/card readers would frequently become gummed up and gubbed with a concrete like neve where horizontal sleet freezes in place.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cracking pic from Glencoe yesterday! Assume top to bottom skiing available.

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really good day at Glencoe today. A strong south easterly breeze but good visibility in the afternoon and fast dry granular snow. Could ski to within a 10minute walk to the car park. Ben Nevis looking spectacular Cool
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:
On a more positive note. Now I've moved a bit further north, only 47miles from Glenshee, I've been thinking about a season pass for next season. The break even for number of trips would be 10. Say total cost of £325 for pass and fuel for 10 trips £120.

Not first bluebird day.
Not the weekend
Not school holidays.
Not low cloud or fog.
Not high wind.

Given I have total flexibility other than 3 weeks in the Alps over Jan, Feb, and March.

@JimboS A Glenshee Season Ticket also gets you 30% off a day pass at Lecht, Nevis Range and Glencoe. Which comes in very handy once Glenshee shuts for the Season, and Glencoe and Nevis Range still have a few weeks of their Season left. For instance Monday to Friday it'll get you a day pass at Glencoe for £18
latest report
Quote:

Not first bluebird day.
Not the weekend
Not school holidays.
Not low cloud or fog.
Not high wind.

Tricky criteria! Based on those I don't think you'd have skied at Glenshee so far this season, so would be a struggle to get the 10 days this year..
snow report
@JimboS, Assume Glencoe is a lot further away for you as it seems to have a consistently longer season than Glenshee (purely anecdotal)
latest report
@kitenski, yes, 2h30m to Glencoe for me and only 1h20 to Glenshee.

This year I think there is zero change of break even and even on a good year could be touch and go as probably the week before and after Alps trips would most likely be blocked off too.

Will just see how the next few seasons go. As was said above, the season pass probably works best for locals and the hard core.
snow report
@Backcountryboarder, good to know , I wasn't aware of that.
ski holidays
@paulo, yes, I'm sure you're right.
latest report
Back in the late 90s and early 00s when my kids were doing comps up north we were out there in some horrendous conditions. Pretty sure we could have been classed as hard core back then, but not any more, conditions have to be at least "reasonable" to tempt me up.
snow report
Was up Glencoe yesterday and would say the online purchasing helped with the speed of the queue collecting tickets, compared to what went on before. There was a QR code scanner that then pumped out your tickets. If it didn't read correctly then folk were being sent to next window with a short queue to be dealt with. I would say queuing time was at least half what it would normally be for that number of people in the car park. Yes, a zero touch system would be better, as described above, but this is an improvement.

Snow conditions were not great, after what sounded fantastic on Friday, but at least there is good coverage on the upper mountain now. After a thaw/freeze it was pretty hard off piste on the top mountain area and never really softened, though some were venturing onto Spring Run by the end of the day. I heard it was pretty hard still in the early afternoon. Was poor visibility up top in the morning and clag only lifted in the afternoon from main basin etc. That all being said, it was a big relief to finally be able to put some planks on and have some fun. And good to talk to lots of others with same view after so long...
ski holidays
Good forecast for skiing this week in Scotland Cool
With the Cairnwell triple chair now running there shouldn’t be any lift queues at Glenshee this week.
snow report
Pleasantly surprised to find an email back from Glenshee (found in junk so received on Sunday). Apologizing for delays agreed with my request of a partial refund and are apparently sending £10 back per ticket. They said delay was due to having to scroll through 1300 bookings each time they were giving out a ticket to find names!

I'm no manager but I'm sure they could have come up with a more effective way to deal with their technology failure on the day.

Annoyingly she did say that everyone could have used both ticket desks- if there had been someone managing the queue on the day (like the ski patrol guy who was busy telling us to complain to the council) I'm sure it would have been a bit quicker.

Well they must have been the 2 most expensive ski runs I have ever done! Very Happy

However pleased I even got a reply to my email and even more surprised they are in process of refunding me £20 as their social media response appeared to be to delete everything and pretend it hadn't happened.
snow report
MCL wrote:

Annoyingly she did say that everyone could have used both ticket desks- if there had been someone managing the queue on the day (like the ski patrol guy who was busy telling us to complain to the council) I'm sure it would have been a bit quicker.

Shhhhh Very Happy

p.s. 1300 tickets, no wonder it was busy rolling eyes
snow report
Looks great today. No queues
https://app.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Looks great today. No queues
https://app.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee

I know, great day to be staying in waiting on a garden furniture delivery, eh !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just discovered Nevis have a really nice live webcam looking up the Goose which looks in great nick!

https://www.nevisrange.co.uk/webcams/
snow report
We’re thinking of doing a week in Scotland later this month and maybe getting some skiing in if circumstances allow. If not we’ll just have a tour of the area.

However, looking at the online ticket booking site for glencoe, it won’t be possible as there are lines through the days I’m thinking of. I think therefore there’s no prospect of skiing there which is a shame Sad
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, I'm pretty sure that Glencoe won't be fully booked throughout March and April at the weekends, let alone midweek. Much more likely that they'll only make the call to sell tickets online if they think it's going to be busy, or worth doing so, and that will entirely depend on weather, existing snow cover and interest closer to the time.
snow conditions
Ah right thanks moffatross I assumed it was fully booked. I’ll keep an eye on how things progress then.
snow report
@bambionskiis, in years past, on good midweek snow days in March and April, I've skied at Glencoe in the company of perhaps 20 or so other ticket holders Cool
snow report
Good times Very Happy . Hope we’re that lucky
snow conditions
You’ll be fine , they just won’t have out any online tickets on hence the line through the days. April hols are first 2 weeks for Scottish schools which might increase numbers a wee bit
snow report
So funny that ppl try skiing in Scotland Eh oh!
latest report
Ionizingskin wrote:
So funny that ppl try skiing in Scotland Eh oh!

Yes. It's so funny that it offers some of the steepest skiing we've ever done, in stunning scenery. Very Happy

Leave it to us, mate, and keep taking the P155 all you like.

Out of interest, have you ever been there to ski? Puzzled
ski holidays
@Ionizingskin, what an odd comment to post on a thread about skiing in Scotland. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone suggest it’s anything like an “alps experience” if that’s what your thinking I’m thinking, but we have various reasons at the moment why we can’t go abroad. So faced with either no skiing or skiing in Scotland, I’ll make plans and try and make it work thanks. I’ll keep an open mind.
ski holidays
Light winds and a decent fall of snow from the south and east forecast for Glenshee. That would be a good direction for them. Should be a great week for skiing Cool
ski holidays
Ah yes it's so steep I do believe that sunnyside at glenshee is widely regarded as second only to kitzbuhel in terms of downhill course notoriety. Unfortunately spent many a time 'learning' in scotland how to ski. Bit like learning how to swim in a big puddle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy