Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland updates and snow reports 2021-22

Poster: A snowHead
I was lucky enough to just squeeze in with one of the last Glencoe tickets (11;45pm Thursday night) and boy was it worth it. One of those magical Scottish days - no wind, blue bird skies and Glencoe and surrounds in all of its majestic winter clothes (even The Ben was poking its head out).

A little busy but perfectly acceptable if you timed coffee and lunch breaks right.

Pistes were mostly good/great with good covering of new snow. Flypaper shut with high avalanche forecast but we did ski "spring paper" which cuts into lower part of flypaper from the spring run. Etive glades was fresh tracks for first couple of runs (just my tracks on the whole run as everyone else was going for the honeypots of the main basin and spring run early doors) - I even managed to figure eight my own tracks which was very satisfying.
Off piste variable and a lot of scouring but still possible to link soft patches from summit to plateau.
The Scottish season is truly up and running (at long last) Toofy Grin

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowheid, what a cracking picture. Lucky you!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glenshee should have a good day. Sunnyside, Bucharts access and claybokie are now open as well and new snow falling this Pm. More snow looking possible later in the week so they may be able to open up more runs as well. Wind speeds look within range all week.
https://app.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes it was the Glenshee fb page declared it a bluebird day and it was furnished with light winds. Glad to hear the Pennines pulled a stunner out the bag to.
Peter, would love to see any videos of you power telemarking through the snow and grass of the fabled slopes of Britain.( flying the flag a bonus)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glenshee looks fine on the cams today, may get windy later. Snow gates are currently closed (8.45am) so its going to be a mad dash to the ticket office in a bit !!

Glencoe said they were dodgy due to high winds all week but are open today - could be blowy later !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Met O latest is showing a gradual decline in wind speed across Scotland. Should be a good day for those lucky enough to be up there. Looks like Glenshee are preparing the Cairnwell too.

All go at Glencoe
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great to see a webcam filled with Snowhead types. Go getting edgers and sliders. ( and paragliders).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking like a nice afternoon at Glenshee too, weatherwise. The new webcam is positioned at the top of Sunnyside, which is a much better place to assess snow cover across the whole area. A bit of snow loss since Saturday but not disastrous.

At the moment only the first valley is open (essentially Butchart's Access and Sunnyside Poma) but I can see they've pisted the Tom Dearg / Cluny side as well as some of the runs off the Cairnwell T-bar.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My next door neighbour is up at glenshee today , will try to catch up with him later for a report, however it needs a lot more snow still to tempt me, good news is it looks like lots more due in the next day or so.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It’s not every day that all of Glencoe is open whilst (virtually) all of Tignes/Val d’isere is closed!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It would be good if the next second hand lift they acquire is to replace the single-seat Cliffhanger Chair Now that really would be transformational.

I believe the hope is that the new Rannoch chair will reduce demand across the hill and avoid the need to replace the Cliffy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
I believe the hope is that the new Rannoch chair will reduce demand across the hill and avoid the need to replace the Cliffy
Fair point. I do hope so as the Cliffy can generate an awful queue on busy days. Mind when it did so last week, it was when The Wall T-bar was closed. Opening that lift does improve things a lot.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I saw they ran the top button on Saturday at Glencoe!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Kitenski, they were running the top button today.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm considering heading up to Scotland this weekend for a day, would be planning to arrive at Glencoe early doors Saturday, (if the weather holds) is it likely to be crazy busy? Is parking etc an issue? (And would I need bags of change for said parking like in the Peak District!?!)
snow conditions
MountainIdiot wrote:
I'm considering heading up to Scotland this weekend for a day, would be planning to arrive at Glencoe early doors Saturday, (if the weather holds) is it likely to be crazy busy? Is parking etc an issue? (And would I need bags of change for said parking like in the Peak District!?!)

Glencoe would be your best bet by far as the whole mountain will be open. It's the first weekend that the ski resorts in Scotland will have a decent amount of terrain open so I would imagine that it will be crazy busy. Parking will be an issue - be there early. No car park charges but if the car park is full then there is nowhere close by to park. Get there early would be my advise. One more thing - be there early (did I make that clear enough ?).

If you have only been skiing in the Alps then Glencoe is a very different experience (which is perhaps not a bad thing).
snow report
@Joy Zipper skiing in Scotland has been on my list for a very long time, just never been able to make it work, not expecting the alpine experience in any way!

Might hold fire this weekend then due to first weekend of snow/ end of school holidays etc

Would probably drive Manchester>Glasgow Friday night, stop over in a motorway hotel or something and leave (very) early in the morning for the last bit of the drive (when I do finally manage to go!)
ski holidays
@MountainIdiot, be aware if weather r looks good then Glencoe are pre selling tickets which sold out for last Saturday
latest report
@kitenski,

Right, was not aware of that, will bear in mind! Thanks!
latest report
@MountainIdiot, their Facebook pages seems to get regularly updated, yesterday they said

Tickets will only be available from the ticket office while weather remains unsettled (no online tickets for next couple of days).
ski holidays
Just to all those considering a sneaky trip up here to Scotland for a slide:
1. The first couple of weekends that slopes are open are mobbed.
2. If you do come, get up the night before and aim to get to the mountain around 8AM. You will get good parking and more skiing in the first couple of hours than those who arrive at 1030 will get in their whole day.
3. Lift queue etiquette is strictly enforced (by punters). Don't take the mick. And no, it is not good form for the first to arrive at the bottom to "save" places for their skiing companions. Expect robust challenge if you do!
4. It is a different experience but we have some great skiing. Don't overestimate your abilities on some of the off-piste runs though. The exit is often tougher than the descent.
5. Consider taking a pair of rock hopper skis rather than your pride and joys. There is a good chance of some nicks and scrapes to bases.
6. Breakfast at the base station is the way to go
7. The older and more beat up your kit the better. Duct tape adds to your credibility.

Hope we get some more snow and many of you enjoy a visit to the land of the Gods!
latest report
Quote:

7. The older and more beat up your kit the better. Duct tape adds to your credibility.

Ideally long skinny skis dating from the 1980's, wooly jumper as mid layer and as a shell an orange cagoule from the 1970's that is left undone and flaps in the wind behind you, and top it off with safety glasses you have nicked form your work instead of goggles Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@zikomo,
Top tips for Scottish skiing. Carnt wait Cool
latest report
So - how busy do snowHeads think the ski centres will be on Friday? Thinking about a day trip - it's not often that a day off coincides with a weekday, good snow and good weather.

Negative factors:
- only good weather window in a run of stormy days
- only the 2nd "perfect" day of the season so far
- English half term (?)

Positive factors:
- weekday
- all 5 areas will be open, spreading out skiers

And then the decision about which ski area to aim for!
snow report
What's the procedure for getting your ticket at Cairngorms. Do you buy online then pick it up at the base station. Do you have to queue for ages to get your ticket or how does it work?
latest report
@Ram80, if you're not aware, the funicular, being the main lift up the hill at Cairngorm, has been out of operation for 3 years.
latest report
moffatross wrote:
@Ram80, if you're not aware, the funicular, being the main lift up the hill at Cairngorm, has been out of operation for 3 years.

I knew. But you still need a tow pass?
snow report
Yes buy online and collect on hill, applies to shee, Coe and gorm at the moment. Fri will be busy so get booked and enjoy , best advise is be there sharp and you will bag good ski time early doors.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
orange wrote:
Yes buy online and collect on hill, applies to shee, Coe and gorm at the moment. Fri will be busy so get booked and enjoy , best advise is be there sharp and you will bag good ski time early doors.

FYI Glenshee showing as sold out for Fri / Sat / Sun at the moment.

Coe tickets for Fri and weekend available after 5pm today after they review forecast.

Snow will be excellent for anyone getting there - enjoy !
snow conditions
@denfinella, All areas will likely be at full capacity on Friday!
snow report
Tickets booked for Glenshee on Friday- can't wait Toofy Grin
snow report
@Ram80, suspect snow is better at Glencoe from what I've seen/read and Cairngorm already sold out for Friday I think

https://cairngormmountain.skiperformance.com/en/store#/en/buy
ski holidays
Didn't take into account how quick the tickets would sell out, can't even get a ticket for Friday.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Ram80, suspect snow is better at Glencoe from what I've seen/read and Cairngorm already sold out for Friday I think

https://cairngormmountain.skiperformance.com/en/store#/en/buy

Bit of a trek Glencoe though.
snow report
Got my Friday ticket for Coe earlier. Looking like a good weather day and lots of snow today / tomorrow !
latest report
@GreenDay, I decided not to get a ticket in the end. Regretting it already! Enjoy Smile
snow report
denfinella wrote:
@GreenDay, I decided not to get a ticket in the end. Regretting it already! Enjoy Smile

Cheers ! Just luck, hit the site at the right time.

Hoping to find my legs again after such a long layoff.............

By the looks of the weather today, I am glad I have my fat twintips for Friday, pisting will be "minimal" Very Happy
ski holidays
Power cut at Glencoe this morning. 100mph winds and more snow yesterday. More snow and lightning today Shocked
If it was easy like say the the Dolomites, it wouldn’t be half as much fun Laughing
Heading north tonight snowHead
snow report
Tomorrow should be a GOOD DAY based on the temps and snow overnight, we've had a mild pasting at 120m asl in Edinburgh albeit temps risen a bit now, looking at fences at the Shee once they start pushing this all out it could be nice - some stripping due to wind. I've got a day off next week to go and test it out.
ski holidays
Glenshee webcam shows car park empty but web site saying open?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy