Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FIS Ski WC 2021/22 Thread + Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Poster: A snowHead
In other news, Iztok Sumantic - the lead judge for the mens Slopestyle final - has commented on the Max Parrot missed grab debate. Apparently, while the judges could call for a replay of a jump, none of them did as none of them saw the mistake, primarily due to only one camera angle being available to them, from which the jump looked clean. Had they seen it, Parrot could have been looking at a two point (Max would have taken Gold by just 0.27pts) or three point reduction in his score, which could have put Su Yiming into the Gold Medal position. FIS rules state that once a score is submitted, it cannot be changed, so when the error was discovered there was nothing that could be done under the current framework.

On a lighter style scoring/judging note, Birk Ruud had already secured his gold when he dropped in on his final victory lap jump at the skiing big air, carrying the Norwegian flag - so whats a judge to award a big, lazy styled-out rotation/grab combo by the Ruud Dude? ... 69-69-69-69-69-69 ... Chapeau, Judges!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Woo Hoo - Mens Slalom coming to Flachau on my birthday snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Managed to catch up on the Super G this morning. Really happy for Gisin, she always seems so happy after every run no matter what event or result, just seems to love her skiing.

She must be the favourite going in to the combined?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Izzy Atkin has withdrawn from the Slopestyle event. Izzy broke her pelvis in December and had hoped to have recovered enough to take part. Unfortunately she's not regained her fitness so won't be going to Beijing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My fav for tomorrow is Manu Feller. Really like him alway so smiley and unpredictable on the slopes, hope he makes it, the second run thankfully is at a decent time. Will be flicking between alpine and biathlon. Love this type lazy Sundays .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowing heavily in the Beijing Olympic venues, makes a change from all artificial snow! Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink, too much snow now! rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JamesHJ wrote:
albob wrote:
A Jamaican skier has qualified to compete in Beijing ! Smile

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/alpine-skiing/beijing-2022/2022/beijing-2022-benjamin-alexander-set-to-be-first-jamaican-skier-to-compete-at-winter-olympics_sto8708034/story.shtml

Chaps just finished his second run with a combined difference of one minute and nine seconds behind the winner snowHead

Edit:

http://youtube.com/v/XFsfb2zjUVU

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 13-02-22 16:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Always in two minds about this sort of thing. Great to have greater inclusion in the sport and it will go some way to paving the way for others from non-traditional skiing backgrounds in the future. However, when a competitor is that far off the pace and is very obviously skiing at an intermediate level then I think it cheapens the achievements of others who worked so hard just to qualify.

Okay as a novelty in one event, if this happened regularly in other events it would be a bit of a farce.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Always in two minds about this sort of thing. Great to have greater inclusion in the sport and it will go some way to paving the way for others from non-traditional skiing backgrounds in the future. However, when a competitor is that far off the pace and is very obviously skiing at an intermediate level then I think it cheapens the achievements of others who worked so hard just to qualify.

Okay as a novelty in one event, if this happened regularly in other events it would be a bit of a farce.

It’s certainly not done his FIS points much good, he has shot up to 540 snowHead

I’d probably have done the same though if I had the links and money to fund it!

There were a few other non traditional skiing nations who did much better, notably a Saudi Arabian who has only skied for around a year. Benefits of youth I suspect, as they are 90’s kids mostly. Their FIS records were similar to our Jamaican friends, but they absolutely pumped him.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yoda wrote:
Extremely disappointing to hear Chemmy last night describing the snow as "very unique" rolling eyes
I'm unsurprised that pedants exist, or that they think it's something to show off about.
It's not. We all know what she meant, even the pedants.

---

NoMapNoCompass wrote:
Always in two minds about this sort of thing.
There was apparently a fair bit of skulduggery involving FIS points in the run up to the whole thing. I think that means it can't happen "legally", so in my mind it's a pretty bad thing, effectively meaning that you can buy an Olympic start if you can find people to take your money.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some of those qualifying races are pretty funny looking. A couple of washed up racers on 30-40 points, and then a field of folk starting out from all over the world.

It is also curious how few skiers take part in some races. A typical local FIS race organised by clubs/resorts has 80+ skiers. These pre Olympics races sometimes only have 10 competitors. This gives a huge chance to improve your points if you start at the back (no ruts).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are a lot of articles out there on Olympics qualification issues, posted without comment:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2022/02/08/ioc-skiing-qualification-rules-benjamin-alexander/

https://skiracing.com/how-to-bend-the-rules-and-qualify-for-the-olympics-in-3-easy-steps/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why wasn't Charlie Raposo in today's GS? Is he injured? He's better skier than quite a lot of the later number competitors. And I know because I watched them all Shocked .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JamesHJ, wow. Those “small” country snow sports federations are even more organised than I thought, been able to organise all those FOS races at short notice. And imagine the good luck for their competitors when the higher ranked racers in all those races performed well below expectations, enabling their athletes to improve their FIS rankings to qualify! Such serendipity.
snow conditions
maggi wrote:
Why wasn't Charlie Raposo in today's GS? Is he injured? He's better skier than quite a lot of the later number competitors. And I know because I watched them all Shocked .

Currently racing in the USA according to his FIS page:

https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/athlete-biography.html?sectorcode=al&competitorid=172269&type=result

Obviously not qualified for the Olympics. They rejigged the rules recently to favour the smaller countries, so many skiers lost out (for example Steve Nyman).
ski holidays
ster wrote:
@JamesHJ, wow. Those “small” country snow sports federations are even more organised than I thought, been able to organise all those FOS races at short notice. And imagine the good luck for their competitors when the higher ranked racers in all those races performed well below expectations, enabling their athletes to improve their FIS rankings to qualify! Such serendipity.

I'm just glad that they found a way for people from the very simplest of backgrounds to take part in a free and fair way. Inspiring stuff.
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:
Obviously not qualified for the Olympics. They rejigged the rules recently to favour the smaller countries, so many skiers lost out (for example Steve Nyman).

But we are a smaller country! Yes, I understand about Steve Nyman and others like him as there are quotas for countries but I was under the impression that all countries could enter one person if they had someone who had the relevant number of FIS points. I can't seem to find definitive rules anywhere, though.
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
JamesHJ wrote:

But we are a smaller country! Yes, I understand about Steve Nyman and others like him as there are quotas for countries but I was under the impression that all countries could enter one person if they had someone who had the relevant number of FIS points. I can't seem to find definitive rules anywhere, though.

I realised that as well just after posting. The usual UK delusions of grandeur, honestly, you win one World Cup race and.. snowHead
snow report
So close to the gold, still amazing that she did so well three weeks after the fall in cortina. And tomorrow is Dave , would be fantastic if he can win a medal
ski holidays
8th and 9th for Muir and Summerhayes in slopestyle, and Woodsy has had to pull out of the slopestyle after doing his back.
snow report
All the positivity for the GB squad coming hasn't been lived up to thus far.

That's not a dig though, sport is like that.
snow conditions
Harrow lady wrote:
So close to the gold, still amazing that she did so well three weeks after the fall in cortina. And tomorrow is Dave , would be fantastic if he can win a medal

It was nearly a fairytale - the Italians taking 1,2,3 and Goggia making a sensational comeback with a fractured tibia and sprained ACL - it was just sensational to see her cross the line! You could see the sadness in her face when Sutter crossed the line a few skiers later - to know you had gotten so close after injury and believed you had done enough only for it to be taken away only the last split where you could see by her reaction she thought it was over!

Hopefully Goggia will have a few more years on the circuit and maybe one more chance at OG!?
snow report
time to pull funding.
They are not at the level to complete. Use the money for other things.
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, it's sport though. Funding doesn't guarantee anything but pulling it does.

Maybe Levy should pull his funding on Spurs Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@Mr.Egg, it's sport though. Funding doesn't guarantee anything but pulling it does.

So how much is enough then?
latest report
Covid will also have hit many of the UK athletes a lot harder than those that live in the mountains and were still able to continue training in the natural environment instead of the trampolines/gyms in the UK. Its always going to take a lot of funding for UK athletes to get them young enough to get success.
snow report
@Rob_Quads, Dont a lot of the selected athletes live in the mountains full time now, so while a few of them would have been impacted (maybe bobsleigh, but if we had any ice skaters of note they would not have been), I imagine a significiant number of them would have been only impacted as much as any others from those alpine countries.

As to getting them young, thats a different matter and one thats quite the opposite of Snowsport England spending time and resource seeking out and converting the flag of convenience athletes of late.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
@Rob_Quads, Dont a lot of the selected athletes live in the mountains full time now, so while a few of them would have been impacted (maybe bobsleigh, but if we had any ice skaters of note they would not have been), I imagine a significiant number of them would have been only impacted as much as any others from those alpine countries.

Having watched the "Free Spirits" document it showed most of the freestyle snowboard/skiiers are UK based at the moment. James Woods was living in the mountains but the rest were taking trips out. One of the interesting comments was. "To get a weeks worth of practice you need to go out for 2 weeks" due to the weather issues that you no doubt have. I suspect in "normal" times they would be spending a lot more time living abroad
snow report
ster wrote:
Layne wrote:

So how much is enough then?

I've no idea but you can't evaluate performance in many of these events purely based on the end result.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
8th and 9th for Muir and Summerhayes in slopestyle, and Woodsy has had to pull out of the slopestyle after doing his back.

Muir in particularly has had a great games but it's clear watching that they are both in the high second tier compared to the top 4-5 girls i.e. chance of a podium only when significant missed "best" runs from the best. I still think it's pretty good but it ain't medalling. It's probably about our place in the freestyle firmament. Zoe Atkin our main hope now. I think Kenworthy is a) a flag swapper and b) because not good enough anymore to make the US team. Shame about Woodsy.
latest report
I have to ask why is curling so compelling?!?

Normally I would be out skiing during the Winter Olympic, but now I am hooked. I suppose it may be the fact that like most good sports it is beguilingly simple, but the skill levels and tactics are at another level.

It also helps that there is no hype from the Beeb commentators, just insight and professional descriptions. This, of course, is in great contrast to the big air and slopestyle where the epilepsy inducing graphics reduce it to the standard of a 90s video game and the commentary from Ed Leigh and Tim Whatsisname is limited to screaming at the mike like a couple of blokes down the pub with no real attempt to explain what's going on.
snow report
@Mr.Egg, Last week I watched Freeze on iPlayer, a brilliant doc on skating. It costs a small fortune to allow kids to reach British championship standards (they mention something like 20k a year). If we don’t support the ones that have the talent to win the National and can aim for Olympic selection, then only people with means can Achieve international levels which is not something I agree with.
Fundings are essential whether we do well or not, look at skeleton this year, less investment poorer results.
ski holidays
Harrow lady wrote:
Last week I watched Freeze on iPlayer, a brilliant doc on skating.

So did I, well, the first 2 episodes so far. Those kids were so gutsy and it was amazing to see the American family so in awe of Chris Dean Laughing . All of them working so hard, getting up before dawn to get to the rink at 5am, only to smash into the ice, time and time again. Absolute stars, every one of them, even if they don't win medals.
snow report
@chocksaway, I wonder if Steve Cram imagined he’d be commentating on curling at the Winter Olympics when he was running around tracks breaking world records!?
snow conditions
ster wrote:

Doesn't just happen for racers from "small" countries, I have been at races where people benefited from WC racers not skiing as fast as they could.

OTOH, I thought that the Chinese racers in the GS looked a lot better than those starting around them in the first run, their points looked correct.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
ster wrote:

Doesn't just happen for racers from "small" countries, I have been at races where people benefited from WC racers not skiing as fast as they could.

OTOH, I thought that the Chinese racers in the GS looked a lot better than those starting around them in the first run, their points looked correct.

I bet you have never seen someone with as many last places as Mr. Alexander qualify though! That includes some of the races he got his <160 points from too. They just happened to have a very small number of runners wink I notice that he DNS a few better attended races around the same period.

Edit: As mentioned in one of the articles I linked above (in relation to slalom events in Dubai), why would a bunch of middling 40-point racers bother to travel to such far flung places to race against a bunch of nobodies?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 16-02-22 0:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
The women's slalom end of field was appalling. Some skiers, supposedly 140 points. Looking at them tackle the course, nowhere near. They had all got their points from one race series in Bosnia Herzagova. My daughter is second year fis and a 77 point skier currently and it was pretty bad watching them go down
latest report
gryphea wrote:
The women's slalom end of field was appalling. Some skiers, supposedly 140 points. Looking at them tackle the course, nowhere near. They had all got their points from one race series in Bosnia Herzagova. My daughter is second year fis and a 77 point skier currently and it was pretty bad watching them go down

BiH is a recurring theme in the qualifying races, both for location, and for some of the low-point racers who participated. There are a bunch of names from there which keep repeating in various events.

Edit: The western Balkans in general (Macedonia, Albania too). There is also an Italian connection, with some pretty angry articles in their media about this. One seemed to be making allegations of threats before an unspecified race. Murky stuff.

Edit Edit: There seems to be interesting editing on one Olympic skier's wikipedia page. The account which created the page deleted references to certain media articles...
latest report
was hoping for a top 10 but didn’t happen Evil or Very Mad . The second run was excellent , shame about the first.
Now our only chance of medal is curling which I am becoming a fan of , very relaxing sport to watch.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy