Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2021/2022

Poster: A snowHead
Forecast seems to be for light snow showers over the next 3 days which is predicted to amount to not much of significance in terms of conditions but you never know it may up to something worthwhile.

The good news it's cold and little in the way of wind.

Sounds very good for piste skiing but not so good for off piste.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne, off piste within the resort area is for masochists only.
Whether the North Face or similar runs are worthwhile, I've no idea.

The cold is a mixed blessing.
It does help preserve what we've got, but all pistes now are improved by a little softening from some careful warming.
Champagny side was lovely on Wednesday in the sunshine, but today was cloudy and colder and just not as much fun.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jonpim, yeah I know what you mean. When my kids were very young the wife gave me the nod to go on a boys trip. As I'd missed a season or so so was really looking forward to it. But it didn't snow all week but was cold and grey. It was better than being in the office but really not a trip I have particularly fond memories of.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This Saturday morning indicated the end of school holidays. A lot of people are leaving the resort. We will too soon for some time. Today however, there is an Esf giant slalom competition in Montalbert for ski instructors only where my boyfriend is participating. We took the wonderful corduroy down from aime 2000 at 8.30 to get to Montalbert, where there is nice music and breakfast on offer to start the day. It feels super festive here this morning. Let's see how the competition goes Smile all happy after these wonderful first tracks and enjoying the sun and smiles
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JulieAimeLeSki, hope your man did well.
Absolutely lovely day. Clear blue sky, but still chilly (specially for Layne snowHead )
Pistes and lifts very quiet. Not as many cars as expected being packed up - maybe they all went last night.

We didn't go over to Montalbert, but set off on "skins" for the Bellecote to Col de Forcle randonée route.
Only made it as far as the Bergerie piste Sad
Not enough porridge . . .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lovely conditions today, the pistes are holding up surprisingly well, not too many queues around – didn’t have to wait more than a few minutes it in the lift so all in all a good day skiing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Still nothing from the sky showing in the 6 day forecast but temps still lowish.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heading out for a long weekend with a couple of mates on 18th March - hopefully a top up of snow before then please Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
YUGE app : is it me or is it even worse than ever this year. Loses whole days of stats randomly, then makes up other days. I skied over 10,000 metres of vertical yesterday according to it. The badges are completely random AFAICS.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@eblunt, I can't say as I use it much. Only useful thing is to get pictures from these fun lift picture points. Also used it to do Saturday skiing extension but even that fckd up my daughters pass (which may not be Yuge but the pass system that sits behind it).

I use Ski Tracks for monitoring my skiing.

The badge thing is meh.

It's supposed to be good for checking on queue times and where to avoid but I've never really done this - if you know the place well you know the pinch points/times anyhow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
New development promo

https://www.skipass-laplagne.com/en/projet-domaine?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SAP_22_03_FR_EN_CA_REL_GLACIER
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne, i suppose the upgrade to a 10 person cabin is welcome, but does cut off easy access to a lot of popular off- piste runs, and the Chiaupe black run.

As for Yuge: the lift queue measure is usually helpful. But lift opening not so. Indicated yesterday Col de Forcle open (at last). It wasn't.

I've no interest on tracking distance or speed. Can't see the point.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Col de Forcle had an incident I think on Wednesday last week already where something got broken and the remplacement part could only be delivered at the earliest this past Tuesday Wink so it seems to be taking its time.. I don't recall exactly what happened with this particular strike of Col de Forcle, but in general if you want it to work, the advice is: 1) do not slalom when going up, 2) do not release early from the lift. And obviously it can still break down for multiple other reasons then Smile The team I normally train with that usually skis on the stade de slalom de Belle Plagne, has had to take Blanchets rotations a few days, and has also skied a bit on the stade in Champagny this week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The top of Col de Forcle isn't great, encourages people to release early if they are going back down the adjacent piste as you are otherwise faced with 40m of slight uphill gradient.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But, Col de Forcle is a great way for getting to the Champagny lifts from 1800 while avoiding Plagne Centre and Bellecote.

And for getting home from Arpette side if Colosses is rammed.

Yesterday there was a great big roll of cable beside the bottom station, so maybe the main cable is the problem. Not just little job then.
Yuge says its open today. I bet it isn't.
ski holidays
New piste? Elphemere next to Tome - saw it today but it’s not on piste map AFAICS
ski holidays
@BoardieK, yes there is a lot of incentive to release earlier Wink as you say after pylône 10 to avoid the flat part, and it's also especially tempting / very difficult to hold on Friday afternoon when there is usually parallel slalom on the bottom part of the stade de slalom and the perches are just extremely slippery and do sometimes glide out of our hands around pylône 5 Wink @Jonpim, yes!! It's also the best for exactly the reasons you mention. Hopefully it stays +- active for a long time.

Ironically, while the col de forcle is out, I'm out too at the moment with an ACL reconstruction. On the first of February I fell and apparently tore the ACL in my left knee. On the second of February I succeeded the slalom Test Technique, the entry exam to the French ski instructor system, so it turned out to be a positive 24 hours anyways. My ACL got reconstructed today. I won't be skiing anymore this season, I might still spend some time arranging things in La Plagne though, we'll see.

And next winter season I will go to the next exam in november in Tignes: Cycle Préparatoire, and once succeeded, start teaching in La Plagne for the season in French / Dutch / English Smile I am already a Belgian ski instructor since 2016. Sooo I will be around a bit on this thread next season as well Wink

Hope you all enjoyed yet another sunny March day to the fullest!
latest report
@Layne, With the new glacier gondola I presume they get rid of the two chairlifts up there.

It’s still a lot of work for one red run ( as the two blacks are always shut )
latest report
Anyone want to estimate the chance of a fresh snow dump before the season ends? Not looking good next week... Really wanna ski cairn again
snow report
@telarid, 100%
latest report
Layne, agree.
But could be April rather than March.
snow conditions
How are the pistes holding up? We arrive on Friday!
snow conditions
chopkins13, pistes were lovely yesterday. We had some of our best ever runs down to La Roche and Montalbert: few other skiers, sunshine, and warmer temperature added some softness.
BUT, the continued increasing warming will take its toll ( possibly up to lower teens by Wednesday), so may be the odd brown patch by Friday.
Even so, I reckon you will still have lots of fun.
snow report
Thanks @Jonpim, as long as it’s still fun then I’ll be happy! Happy to take “spring soft” over “hard ice” any day!
snow report
Can anyone advise me of on piste restaurants with open fires please. This has become a new pre-condition of the lunch that has been imposed on me
ski holidays
@eblunt, Day time or evening? If evening which area are you staying in?
snow report
@boredsurfin, how often do you have lunch in the evening? Happy
snow report
eblunt, with temperatures rising to 10C, unlikely you will find any open fires.
It's Spring!
Time for t-shirts and sandles Toofy Grin

(P.S. the Open Fire stipulation seems a great way to save money. With no acceptable piste-side restaurants it will have to be pic-nic and sandwiches)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ecureuil, Toofy Grin Embarassed Must be my age. As JP says its spring very few if any will light their fires at lunchtime now. But you may be lucky and find one lit at Dinner in the evening.
latest report
Hello all,
Could anyone let us know whether you need a ski pass for the Tyrolean drag in Belle Plagne this year? I seem to remember that it didn't in previous years. Thanks.
ski holidays
Well, well! Against all odds, snowed last night!
Only 10mm or so, but still lying in the trees and off- main roads.
Meteoblue now pretending they had predicted it all along. Hah!
snow report
^^^
10cm? 4 inches? Or 10mm - virtually nothing?
snow conditions
France Meteo forecasting next snow for 26th and 27th March (and rain for tonight...)
https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/la-plagne-2000-m/731502
ski holidays
However much it was it did help cover up a bit of the ice between yesterday and today
snow report
sbooker, every little bit helps snowHead
ski holidays
Pooter wrote:
Hello all,
Could anyone let us know whether you need a ski pass for the Tyrolean drag in Belle Plagne this year? I seem to remember that it didn't in previous years. Thanks.

I had a look, it appears not. However be aware that it’s not really designed as a past free beginners lift. It’s actually quite a difficult ski off there and secondly the lifties there don’t like you cycling round and round on it.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
France Meteo forecasting next snow for 26th and 27th March (and rain for tonight...)
https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/la-plagne-2000-m/731502

Indice de confiance: 1/5 . So less of a forecast, more of a vague hope.

I'll be there then so I'm hoping too. snowHead
latest report
eblunt wrote:
Pooter wrote:
Hello all,

I had a look, it appears not. However be aware that it’s not really designed as a past free beginners lift. It’s actually quite a difficult ski off there and secondly the lifties there don’t like you cycling round and round on it.

Thanks, that's helpful and yes understand about not being for beginners. We get to the village late afternoon and was just wondering if we might at least get a chance to try out the hire gear before setting off in earnest the next morning
one of our party has trouble with her feet and getting the hire boots right takes time Thanks again.
ski holidays
@Pooter, there is the magic carpet nearby as well, no pass needed
snow report
@Pooter, the magic carpet suggestion from @eblunt, is a good one - to extend it, you could also wait until after the lifts close and ski down from there into Bellecote to get a feel for boots/skis etc, have a nice drink then jump in the bubble lift back up to Belle Plagne as this runs until late (11pm?) and after main lifts have closed they don’t check for lift passes from memory as it’s mostly pedestrians and those returning home from aprés. Don’t get carried away though and think you can do laps after main lifts have closed using the bubble, the lift staff have got a keen eye for people reappearing every 15 mins Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy