Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2021/2022

Poster: A snowHead
Since yesterday it's a bit less ice cold. Thursday and Friday were deep in the minus. Sun is shining and so are we. It feels busier in resort, searched for a parking spot yesterday. Pistes still empty this morning. The carpark for mobilhomes in Plagne Soleil is full today.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heading out tonight on the tunnel to arrive tomorrow morning, Getting very excited!

Sounds like the pistes are holding well with the low temps.

Question that hopefully someone maybe able to answer.......If I get a 6 day La Plagne pass, can I add paradski on for a day if I end up wanting to head over the Vanoise on an occasion? Or is the only way to get the full paradski pass for the entire 6 days?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can add on Les Arcs.
21€ for a day.
See skipass-laplagne.com.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Jonpim. I had even been looking at that list and looked straight past it! rolling eyes

Am I right in saying there isn't a lift pass office in Champagny?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is most definitely a lovely lift pass office in Champagny - it’s right by the foot of the gondola
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Now that is great news! Will make it nice and easy on the day I want to add on and head over to Les Arcs. Many Thanks all Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gassy222, The lift pass office queue was quite long this morning, looks like some people here for the day and plenty more here for next week.
Saturday was pretty quiet, not many queues for the lifts and next Saturday should be similar.
We had friends go over to Les Arcs yesterday who said it was quiet over there as well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Could someone please take a look at the motorhome aire from the Bergerie lift and let me know how full it is, driving up later this week but booking system still says full every day until end of April!
Thanks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BoardieK, It was pretty full the other day when we went over it on the Bergerie lift and there were 3 or 4 camper vans parked in the car park nearby.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skichampcouk, Thanks, was that over the weekend?

ps. Sorry this has nothing to do with snow but its the only active La Plagne thread.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It was about 90-95 percent full yesterday morning. I didn't notice it today, I'll try to look after lunch. A couple spots emptied up after the weekend, when it was full and there were 3/4 mobilhomes parked next to it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BoardieK, Don't worry it always goes like this, I started the thread in The Piste one year and folk asked for it to be put back in snow reports snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking promising for the weekend....

https://meteofrance.com/meteo-montagne/la-plagne-2000-m/731502
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It could go in "resorts", @boredsurfin, then you could talk about anything! I have some friends trying to fix up a group holiday with all the usual last minute problems and people with different priorities. Mine is wanting my own room without paying an absurd supplement. One couple have an option on an Alpine Elements chalet in Plagne Village - the "Elegant". This is the resurrected Alpine Elements, I guess. Apparently you can ski down to the Bergerie or Melezes chairs. For me, these days, a location which requires the least clomping round carrying skis is pretty important! I've done with busses.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BoardieK, an hour ago: mostly full, a couple spaces, 5 or so Smile
snow report
@JulieAimeLeSki, Thanks very much, will be up tomorrow evening and hopefully get a space. If not we are quite used to coping in car parks but it would be handy for the facilities with it being over a weeks stay.
ski holidays
pam w, good you can "ski down to the Bergerie or Melezes chairs" at the start of the day, but what about skiing back at the end?
And sometimes those ski runs down from the chalet are not piste runs, but involve some steep bumpy beside-piste areas.
None of the photos associated with any of the Alpine Elements La Plagne web page are helpful to determine their exact position relating to nearby pistes.
I wish you good luck. snowHead
ski holidays
P.S. It has been interesting reading the Alpine Elements web pages.
Like many other Travel Companies' spiel on La Plagne, it talks up "the glacier":
"The snow sure nature of La Plagne is helped by the glacier skiing at Plagne Bellecôte, which extends up to 3250 metres."
Not quite correct. There really isn't a glacier any more.
https://en.la-plagne.com/sites/default/files/styles/slide_1920x768/public/medias/images/Glacier_Bellecote_ete_2019_.jpg?h=d1cb525d&itok=DzsXxrr0
Some closer views from 2015:
https://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2088&start=120
Summer skiing was abandonned many years ago.

And most TO sites get the glaciers wrong: the bigger one on the right, where summer skiing used to take place, is/was actually the Chiaupe glacier
https://planet-terre.ens-lyon.fr/planetterre/objets/Images/Img171/171-vue-Bellecote-Chiaupe-MtPourri.jpg

Eventually La Plagne intends to abandon the Chiaupe area completely:
https://www.skipass-laplagne.com/media/image/laplagneb2c/cms/media/%C3%A9t%C3%A9-2020/pages/Projets/plan%20tc%20glacier.JPG
ski holidays
@Jonpim, I think .... www.alpineelements.co.uk/ski-holidays/france/la-plagne/chalet-perrier is at the very top of 1800 with access from the main road up to Plagne Centre! and a narrow footpath down into the village. The Graciosa (sp) has/had an Alpine Elements sign on its piste side entrance but doesn't feature on their website...
snow report
. . . except pam w is looking at Chalet Elegant
Which is meant to be "situated right next to a chairlift".
Not quite sure which chairlift that might be . . . Puzzled

(I thought the Graciosa had been condemned)
ski holidays
@Jonpim, thanks. That possibility has now fallen through, it seems - lots of people trying to organise in parallel...... I think you might well be quite right about access back to the chalet!!
latest report
Good morning, my first post as a member after years lurking and reading so much on here!

We have a week booked in La Plagne 1800 from 19th Feb, staying with Alpoholics. I know it's going to be a very busy week with Paris half term holidays etc. but as a couple of our friends are teachers we didn't have much of a choice. It's my first time ever going in Feb half term as it goes. Now I've not been to La Plagne for around 13-14 years but I do remember the lift queues/bottlenecks. Does anyone have any tips to help avoid them, apart from try and ski/snowboard during lunch 12-2. Which lifts are the worst etc? I always remember Arpette being very busy at most times of the day. Our 8yr old is with Oxygene each day so we'll have to be heading out from Plagne Centre at 10am - peak queuing time usually.

Also I know this has probably been done to death but a lot of our group of friends have chosen to get a private transfer by road from Lyon at 10am Saturday morning (crazy I know). How long will that likely take them? Myself, wife and son are flying out Friday and staying in Aime Friday night and will be in resort by 10am Saturday morning. I know how much of a nightmare the roads can be on a weekend so did all I can to avoid it!

Any good restaurants to recommend for midweek Chalet staff night off too?

Looking forward to this trip so much. Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
ChrisPainey, welcome to Snowheads. And i'm sure you will have an excellent time in La Plagne over half term.
You just need to be flexible and relaxed about queues.
The worst Bottlenecks tend to be Bergerie lift in the morning and Bellecote anytime apart from lunch.
Coming back from Montchavin side you can avoid Bellecote in 2 ways:
1. From top of Crozats lift go over to Inversens and then ski down to excellent Verdons Sud lift.
2. Or the fun way: take the Laines blue into Belle Plagne, ski through to to the Belle Plagne "moving carpet", down to Col de Forcle drag, and then Verdons Sud as before.

You can go out from 1800 by the 1800 lift rather than Melezes to avoid Bergerie - or you can walk over to the SLOW Boulevard lift from the stop of Melezes.

Lyon to La Plagne should take 2.5 hours - Saturday morning shouldn't be too bad.

For midweek meal go to La Cantine in 1800. Good pizzas and Tapas. Wraps very good. Book before you travel - today would be a good idea snowHead .
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
milzibkit, I would recommend you pop down to 1800 and visit Boudu Sports (Ski Set) where Fabrice will see you right.

+1. The man is a magician with boots.
ski holidays
BoardieK wrote:
A little favour to ask; if anyone is travelling up on the Bergerie lift over the next few days please could you let me know how full the motorhome carpark is (halfway up). TIA.

About 80% full I would say ( last Friday )
latest report
The pistes today were rather slick, to say the least; and busy.
snow report
@eblunt, We're in, second row from the top and closest to the lift.
Thanks to all who responded.
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
ChrisPainey, welcome to Snowheads. And i'm sure you will have an excellent time in La Plagne over half term.
You just need to be flexible and relaxed about queues.
The worst Bottlenecks tend to be Bergerie lift in the morning and Bellecote anytime apart from lunch.
Coming back from Montchavin side you can avoid Bellecote in 2 ways:
1. From top of Crozats lift go over to Inversens and then ski down to excellent Verdons Sud lift.
2. Or the fun way: take the Laines blue into Belle Plagne, ski through to to the Belle Plagne "moving carpet", down to Col de Forcle drag, and then Verdons Sud as before.

You can go out from 1800 by the 1800 lift rather than Melezes to avoid Bergerie - or you can walk over to the SLOW Boulevard lift from the stop of Melezes.

Lyon to La Plagne should take 2.5 hours - Saturday morning shouldn't be too bad.

For midweek meal go to La Cantine in 1800. Good pizzas and Tapas. Wraps very good. Book before you travel - today would be a good idea snowHead .

I'd also add that if you are a bit pushed for time and don't want to risk going over to Champagny, from the top of the Col de Forcle it's not a a massive trudge to get bet to Plagne Centre directly. Just stay as left as possible then take the cross country track with a decent bit of speed and you arrive over the ridge just below the top of Bergerie.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the helpful replies. I always really appreciate a bit of insider knowledge for somewhere I'm not that familiar with.

One other question I'd have would be where's good (unpisted) after a dump of snow? I'm guessing off the Cretes drag lift would be a good place to start, due to the proximity of where we've got to drop junior off at Oxygene.
ski holidays
@eblunt,
Quote:
I'd also add that if you are a bit pushed for time and don't want to risk going over to Champagny, from the top of the Col de Forcle it's not a a massive trudge to get bet to Plagne Centre directly. Just stay as left as possible then take the cross country track with a decent bit of speed and you arrive over the ridge just below the top of Bergerie.

Sadly due to the creation of a park adjacent to that track that route would be a massive trudge as the access to it is now much further back ):
ski holidays
@ChrisPainey, Cretes offers great access to the Natur blacks and a couple of Reds and some great off piste - when its open, that area is quite avalanche prone and takes a while to secure after a dump. But once it is open Les Etroits imho is one of the best blacks in the resort. Mont de la Guerre being the best...
snow report
@boredsurfin, Thanks for that, I hadn't realised, hadn't done it for a few years.

As you are the guru, are you aware of any way of skiing directly back from the top of Bergerie ( or Colosses ) back to Belle Plagne ? Currently we drop down the track opposite the cafe and grab Col de Forcle drag up to the first corner and get off there.
snow conditions
eblunt, I rhink your route of jumping off Col de Forcle drag is the best way to avoid Bellecote. I'm happy to be corrected.

ChrisPainey, you ask about "where's good (unpisted) after a dump of snow?".
The runs off the top of Cretes drag are indeed good, and do allow you to get back to see junior after his lesson. But as boredsurfin mentions, the drag is often closed. Indeed never opened while we were out December-January.
I would offer instead the runs through the trees between the various black runs off top of Becoin, expecially the area from Palsembleu across Coqs to Morebleu. When Envers is running you can circle round this area all day doing a different track every time. There are also some lovely tree runs from off the top of Ardrets.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, Coqs is one of the tougher black runs IMO, it was a right mess last week
snow report
ChrisPainey wrote:
One other question I'd have would be where's good (unpisted) after a dump of snow?

You want me to reveal my secret stashes Shocked Shocked wink Laughing

Under the Verdons Nord is fun. Bit stony at first and not that long but a nice little challenge. Turn right off the top of Carella chair, along the ridge a fair way and ski the field to the right - the ridge puts many off but it's no biggy but means you can put down your own tracks.
ski holidays
How is the general terrain around that area? I've been there but it was a long time ago so I can't remember if there are any cliffs or other major concerns? I don't mind it being steep and I'm reasonably experienced in do's and don't off piste, having been snowboarding for nearly 20 years now. I've not been with some of our group before but I know some of them are also very experienced, just not familiar with La Plagne.
snow report
@ChrisPainey, sorry is that directed at me or the posters above?
snow report
@eblunt, Top of Bergerie chairlift to Belle Plagne your options are Col de force and jump off
or
down to Blanchette Chair in Bellecote and then back down to BP (or up Arpette chair and back down.)

You can ski off the back of the Bergerie arrival area off piste directly to Forcle, either off piste or a mix of off and on piste. But be very careful to stay high.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 27-01-22 16:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Sorry I was asking about the runs over from Becoin. Morbleu, Coqs etc. Cheers
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, Thanks, yes, Rhodos from opposite the Chalet de Colosses is my best route so far, I was just hoping ( in vain I suspect ) of a direct route. It's annoying as from Rhodos you are just short of enough height to get round the top of the gully.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy