Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
Cheers@JohnMo, I feel like a booking for des Guides is coming on!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
twoodwar wrote:
Cheers@JohnMo, I feel like a booking for des Guides is coming on!

That’s an excellent idea, they were absolutely fabulous when we visited them back in January, the only time we managed to eat outside.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just finished second days skiing, it snowed 10-15 cm in town last night and at least that on the slopes. Warm (2) and thick cloud mainly on lower slopes, leading to interesting virtually blind skiing. Made it to Valtournenche and back and up to Bontadini for lunch, 9am till 4pm In interesting conditions. Local forecast tomorrow excellent and have Zum Zee booked for early lunch in Zermatt.Fingers crossed on weather forecast.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@twoodwar, Thanks for the update. sounds better than i feared given the drought. Out there in 10 days time, so hoping conditions hold up
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Piste conditions when cold excellent. Usual stuff when warmed up in the day. The recent snow have a great covering all over. Couple of scorchio days to come though. Good for us Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any material difference between the conditions in Zermatt, Cervinia and Valtourneche at the moment? I'm heading over to Cervinia next week, first day Thursday, and wondering whether to get the international pass this time.

Weather seems to be clear with little wind. Given the apparent drought (bar occasional top up), I figure it may be a few days of packing in some piste based mileage.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Adam123, pistes are still excellent down to 2000Metres. Softening up during the day. We went over to Zermatt on Wednesday and had lunch at Zum zee. A real slush fest to finish in town but doable. Also we normally stay in Zermatt and ski over to Cervinia early obviously. A lovely run. Coming back mid afternoon, we had some very large moguls from Klein Matterhorn to Testa Grigio. A 3rd year skier with us had great difficulty.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, I've been ear-wiggling on this thread with interest as I'm due be in Cervinia at Easter so do keep the updates coming.... Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@twoodwar, Sounds like you've had a great time. Where were those moguls? Was it on the slope just after the narrow track from the KM lift exit? I don't ever recall seeing moguls there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last day in Cervinia today, week has been very good, almost all runs have been open. Only issues have been slush in the afternoon coming into Cervinia, resort level the runs are open but it’s getting soft and a bit patchy. From plan maison and above the Sking is very good, the snow has been topped up a few times over the week but our guide was telling us that the base depth is very poor. I suspect they will be relying on snowmaking over the coming weeks. Sunny weather predicted this week. Interested to see how long the season goes on for here and if they get any dumps in the coming weeks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DCG wrote:
@twoodwar, Sounds like you've had a great time. Where were those moguls? Was it on the slope just after the narrow track from the KM lift exit? I don't ever recall seeing moguls there.

The top of the ventina run (red 7) was a mogul field a few days ago when I came down (I actually quite enjoy skiing bumps), the lower part was ok but gets worse as the day progresses due to the hot weather. The skiing from Theodulpass down into Cervinia being far better for high speed carving and would be my preferred area. Zermatt skiing is nice but I didn’t get much further over than sunegga so can only comment on the runs down into zermatt from the glacier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The new(-ish) big gondola up to Klein Matterhorn is great - but it does mean that there is now an almost uninterrupted flow of skiers leaving KM. There used to be 'quiet gaps' in between cable-car loads, which gave more nervous skiers a chance to get down that top piste when it was a bit quieter. That and the fact that the long T-bar from Trockner Steg is no longer usually open, means that getting to Italy can be a bit more of a test at times for less confident skiers in a group.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone know if you can get a one way ticket up the Stafel lift (where our ski tour will end)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What's the mask situation now? I'm heading out on the 2nd and wondering if I need to buy an ffp2 or can I get away with strategic snood use?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MajorMarmaduke wrote:
Hi, I've been ear-wiggling on this thread with interest as I'm due be in Cervinia at Easter so do keep the updates coming.... Cheers

same here, hehe
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Anyone know if you can get a one way ticket up the Stafel lift (where our ski tour will end)

I am guessing you mean the Hirli lift? No you can not get a ticket to go on that. You can simply ski round to Furi and can get a ticket back to Zermatt from there - or indeed you can ski back down to Zermatt from there.
snow conditions
garyyb wrote:
What's the mask situation now? I'm heading out on the 2nd and wondering if I need to buy an ffp2 or can I get away with strategic snood use?

Swiss side snood is OK but each day fewer people seem to bother with anything. All meant to end 31 March

Italy is ffp2 (and green pass to get on at the base). I had a snood which was ffp2 but I doubt the liftie could see that from the distance he was away.
ski holidays
My experience from the rest of the Val d'Aosta (which Cervinia is part of) is that FFP2 masks were sometimes enforced on gondolas / cable cars, but never on chairlifts (with or without bubbles). Similarly, FFP2 mask compliance was close to 100% on gondolas / cable cars, and close to 0% on chairlifts. Green Pass was often enforced on gondolas / cable cars when they started from resort / valley level.
latest report
JohnMo wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I am guessing you mean the Hirli lift? No you can not get a ticket to go on that. You can simply ski round to Furi and can get a ticket back to Zermatt from there - or indeed you can ski back down to Zermatt from there.

Thanks. Is there still snow down there?
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Thanks. Is there still snow down there?

Last time I skied there was Saturday 12th. I have been in 4 valleys (Nendaz) since then. There was certainly snow but of the same poor quality the whole of Valais has (at least off piste). As you know temperatures have been high this last week so I think it will not be great.

Never mind. Being out in the mountains is still fantastic. We toured from Crans Montana today and are touring round Mont Fort tomorrow. We are deliberately spending more time going up than skiing down as it is so hard to find decent runs down but the ascents are fun nevertheless.
ski holidays
Heading out on the 3rd. Come on snow!!!
snow report
RosieL wrote:
Heading out on the 3rd. Come on snow!!!

Well you might be lucky. But certainly nothing in the next few days.

latest report
@LDP816, yes it was where you describe, where the track widens a little but gets appreciably steeper, ( not that steep though). Never seen them before, but as I say we usually are there early on around 10am, not 3pm
ski holidays
On piste still good (off piste non-existent unless you tour). Stay high and north facing as the day goes on. On Wednesday I got back from the 4 valleys (Verbier) and decided to have a few turns in the afternoon. I stayed on Rothorn and mainly used the new Kumme lift on the north side. That is still something of a hidden gem. Great conditions this time of year and never seems to get that busy. Generally you do need to be happy (and able) to ski hard pack. I have not tried falling over but I suspect it would not be pleasant.

Big surprise this morning. I skied the black from Furgg to Furi just before lunch and it was a complete mess. Huge sections were just churned slush. So as I say - stay high.

Nothing in the forecasts for the next week. But the following week is just coming into the “I might start taking notice of this” range. That is Zermatt Unplugged week. It will be nice to have a bit of fresh up top but in the village it looks like it would be rain which will put a bit of a dampener (metaphorically and literally) on things.

latest report
Does anyone know if there is still a limit on pass numbers for Cervinia or this has been dropped (or will be, from 1 April)? If it still applies in April, does anyone know if the limit has actually led to people being turned down for passes? I'm planning to buy day passes online, each morning, but I'm trying to work out whether this involves a serious risk of not being able to purchase.
snow conditions
I hadn't heard about this and am going on the 2nd. We've not bought anything yet, but the hotel seemed relaxed that they'd sort us out on arrival with no pre booking, but didn't mention any rationing.

I look forward to other replies!
snow conditions
@koru, 99% sure there won't be an issue. The other big Aosta valley resorts (admittedly I didn't check Cervinia, but I did check all the others) had the same warning but didn't even sell out during half term weeks.
snow report
I thought I'd just chip in and brag abou my madest ski weekend...
I had a ski buddy I used to ski in Austria with regularly with ... he worked in Zurich.
On a trip to St Anton, I said I would really like to ski in Zematt and Cervinia one weekend.
He said .. "Yea lets do it!" This was 1993
So I drove down to Zurich from Nuremberg on a Friday night.
Caught a 5am train from Zurich to Visp and the little narrow guage up to Zermatt.
When we arrived at about noon it was raining late in the season.
We walked along to buy a two day lift ticket ro Cervinia.
The guy in the ticket office said .. "The weather is so bad ... just go and have a good pasta and a bottle of wine."
He could see how dissapointed we were and said, "How long are you here for?"
"we go home tomorrow Confused ".
He responded .. "Here are the tickets go on and good luck".
We took the big gondola up .. It was a dizzy walk through the tunnel and cloudy at the other end.
Then set off down and turned left at the sign which points to Italy.
The sky turned blue and the sun turned hot.
We had that pasta meal in the sunshine of restaurant deck on the way down to Cervina.
We were well equiped with toothbrushes and spare knickers.
Covered a lot of miles that afternoon and that was probably when I was at the peak of skiing ...
Using those heavy straight 195cm Volkl P10 rails.
My mates skis needed a tune at the end of the day so we popped into a shop just above the village.
The owner lent us shoes we could walk in and recommended a hotel (that his brother owned).
Great night out in all the bars in Cervinia (there was not that many)
Next day started late because I felt I needed to go to mass .. God had certainly been smiling on us.
The problem was all of Milan seemed to be in the lift queue in front of us ...it took ages getting up there again.
Loads more skiing on the Zermatt side this time before finaly rushing for the train, getting our kit out of the locker then just getting our last train back to Zurich.

On the way back down to Visp my mate told me he had a pilots licence...
I suggested we should rent a plane and fly down to visit some other mates of ours who wer living it up in
Juan les Pins. .. A couple of months later a 4 seater Cesna picked me up from Duxford.
Gosh I've had a lucky life.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DrLawn, great story!

Enjoyed a fleeting visit on Saturday via the Stockji glacier

http://youtube.com/v/4aJcZO_dktc
latest report
garyyb wrote:
I hadn't heard about this and am going on the 2nd. We've not bought anything yet, but the hotel seemed relaxed that they'd sort us out on arrival with no pre booking, but didn't mention any rationing.

I look forward to other replies!

we will be there on the 3rd. looks like the weather is changing drastically - not looking like the single layer skiing I was expecting (& looking forward to). I emailed the ticket office last week whether i should buy tickets in advance due to the limit and they said buying on the day was fine. I guess this will be especially true if the current forecast holds.
latest report
Kj82 wrote:

we will be there on the 3rd. looks like the weather is changing drastically - not looking like the single layer skiing I was expecting (& looking forward to).

It's bitter sweet for me... the webcams were showing it starting to look a bit brown in places, and with this week set to be sunny too it may be due a top up by the time we're there. Just got to hope it's not a white out now!
ski holidays
Kj82 wrote:
we will be there on the 3rd. looks like the weather is changing drastically - not looking like the single layer skiing I was expecting (& looking forward to). I emailed the ticket office last week whether i should buy tickets in advance due to the limit and they said buying on the day was fine. I guess this will be especially true if the current forecast holds.
That's encouraging about the pass limit. As you say, the current forecast does not suggest the clear blue skies that are likely to mean a surge of skiers.

There are some warm days and some rain this week, at least low down. That's according to Bergfex: https://www.bergfex.com/breuil-cervinia/wetter/ But those figures are for the "valley", at 1524m. That must be Valtournenche. Cervinia is 500m higher. Higher up, it looks like a reasonable top up of snow this week: https://www.bergfex.com/breuil-cervinia/wetter/

For what it is worth, given the tendency for forecasts to change, it currently looks like whiteout on Sunday 3rd. I'm not keen to be buying passes for Sunday in advance unless the forecast really picks up.
snow conditions
Spent Thu, Fri, Sat snowboarding from Cervinia but covering almost the entire piste map. Probably about 80% of the open runs in Zermatt, Cervinia and Valtourneche. Blue skies all day each day. Snow conditions acceptable if you're OK with hard pack in the morning and some inevitable slush in the afternoon.

Some runs slushing before lunch on Saturday.

In general, best conditions to be found in Zermatt. Off piste not worth considering.
snow conditions
A chance I might have time for 1 day of skiing in Zermatt, before a classroom based course.

Will be Saturday 23rd April. Anyone have a rough idea of what sort of skiing is likely to be open at that stage?

Presumably, the extra 13 CHF for the Italian side isn't worth it for the one day?
snow conditions
swskier wrote:
A chance I might have time for 1 day of skiing in Zermatt, before a classroom based course.

Will be Saturday 23rd April. Anyone have a rough idea of what sort of skiing is likely to be open at that stage?

Presumably, the extra 13 CHF for the Italian side isn't worth it for the one day?

Everything is scheduled to be open that day. The following day is the last day that all lifts will run (and all pistes scheduled to be open).

If you are skiing one day there is no point getting international pass - just stay on the Swiss side.
latest report
I had the pleasure of being in Cervinia w/c 20th Mar for a week. We went with Crystal, can't really fault them, their app is super helpful, everything went according to plan, flights. transfer etc. We stayed at the Hotel Breuil which is a bit dated in decor and not gourmet suppers but more than made up for by being clean and having absolutely lovely staff. After all, you're not spending the day there. It's a short walk to the Cretaz chair to get you going. We bought international passes for the week which entitled us to wall to wall sunshine for the week on both sides of the mountain at no extra charge.

There had been a little snow just before we arrived but not much for the past few weeks, however the slopes were in pretty decent condition, slushy at the bottom towards the end of the day. Snow making was operating throughout the week (ie it was pretty cold). The links to Zermatt were open all week, we went over there 3 times, fantastic meals at Restaurant Blatten and Chaima Hitta. Expensive, as we all know, but I only live once. The skiing was great there, the black #62 (?) was fine, if a bit choppy in bits.

Food on the Cervinia side of the mountain was also mostly excellent, Chalet Etoile being the high point in both quality and price. Booking essential. Igloo also was awesome, the most sausages I've ever seen on a plate. The only let down was the Pousset who took my reservation in person at 0930 and had forgotten it by 1300, and weren't prepared to do anything about rectifying the position. Shame.

Apres at the Love Bar up in the mountain, Rocco di Neve near the bottom were both fun. The town is charming too, but we were too stuffed to look at eating out.

All in all it was a great week, no queues anywhere really, slopes mostly pretty quiet, one of those weeks which you just want to repeat again and again.
snow conditions
Just back from a week in Zermatt. First few days were sunny. Pistes a bit hard packed. Quite a lot of snow on Friday (powder on piste in poor vis) so anyone heading out now is in for a treat.
snow report
Thanks for that! Heading out to cervinia on Saturday ..
ski holidays
Hi
Heading out next week 15th-18th. I have a few questions:

I am staying at White Angel Hotel - Ski-in Ski-out resort so towards the north of Breuil-Cervinia.

1. I see you can get 2 types of pass and one is international which i assume covers the runs into Switzerland. I think i should only need Cervinia-Val pass?
2. Best Apris-Ski places?
3. Best Restaurants?
4. Best Ski hire place?
5. Are the slopes even open on Monday 18th or does it close?

Thank you all in advance!
snow report
jsrdixon wrote:
Hi
Heading out next week 15th-18th. I have a few questions:

I am staying at White Angel Hotel - Ski-in Ski-out resort so towards the north of Breuil-Cervinia.

1. I see you can get 2 types of pass and one is international which i assume covers the runs into Switzerland. I think i should only need Cervinia-Val pass?
2. Best Apris-Ski places?
3. Best Restaurants?
4. Best Ski hire place?
5. Are the slopes even open on Monday 18th or does it close?

Thank you all in advance!

Firstly - White angel is not ski in ski out, the red down into plan Maison runs alongside it but no way to get off the run and to the resort. Only way is to get to "the bar" and walk up - they run a shuttle which is better than walking in my opinion and goes to and from plan Maison gondola. The hotel and spa is nice though, odd set up with breakfast and having to pay extra for the spa but it is a nice place to be and the spa facilities are nice.

1 - international is great but you have to be on the slopes most of the day and be a fairly quick skiier to make use of it. It's worth going up to the matterhorn viewing platform so you can upgrade for 1 day at a cost of 35euro. You can ski down off the glacier back to cervinia, don't get stuck, it's a 500 euro taxi back to cervinia.

2 - "Up" or "Love" up the mountain, "the bar" or Dragon at resort level.

3 - La Luge is amazing but a 5 min drive down the mountain, well worth it though! Also Sottozero is fantastic, would also recommend getting a skidoo up to Beata Cretaz but booking for these places is usually a good idea, no idea about low season.

4 - no idea as I don't hire kit.

5 - yes, slopes open until 23rd or 24th from memory.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy