Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
My son is getting a much needed skiing fix in Zermatt this week.
Monday skiing was closed...
Tuesday was perfect, totally perfect. Beautiful snow, blue sky and hardly another soul on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in Zermatt for the weekend, although not skiing this time but tandem paragliding from the Klein Matterhorn - what an experience

There were plenty of skiers up there but there didn't seem to be much open. It hadn't snowed for a while and the size of the crevasses just off the sides of the pistes I'm used to skiing in winter were an eye opener for sure. It snowed a lot on Sunday though so would be great up there now

Regarding the opening post about the new Rothorn lift - living in CH I was lucky enough to try it in April and it is really modern, fast and comfortable with a great graphical design on the outside. The only downside being it will probably attract more skiers to one of the quietest parts and one of my favourite bits of the network, but that is just me being selfish Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quick question to those who are planning on heading out to Zermatt this season.

The Swiss now require you to download their Covid Cert app to provide you've had both jabs to access restaurants etc. I've done this and 'uploaded my NHS documents but the Swiss application says 'invalid signature'. Is this because the NHS and Swiss Goverment haven't agreed on sharing information yet?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Run28 wrote:

The Swiss now require you to download their Covid Cert app to provide you've had both jabs to access restaurants etc. I've done this and 'uploaded my NHS documents but the Swiss application says 'invalid signature'. Is this because the NHS and Swiss Goverment haven't agreed on sharing information yet?

Unlike with the French app you can not load the NHS QR certificate direct into the Swiss app. You need to apply via one of the Cantons. I have the Swiss Covid Cert app. I did originally try to do it directly but as you say it just comes back with invalid signature.

Website to apply for the canton of Valais (or Wallis as we would say in German) is here (in English):

https://tracing-valais.ch/en/certificat

I applied on a Monday and it came through two days later. I am AZ vaccinated. I attached my NHS certificate as a pdf. The form asks for evidence of travel or right to be in Switzerland. I simply attached a pdf saying I was driving and that I owned an apartment - giving full address but not proof of ownership.

I have been using it in Zermatt and it has scanned fine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ditto - have had same experience with obtaining cert. as JohnMo, but found it invaluable if you want to eat out - inside - if that makes sense! But as an aside, we were going to pop over into Italy for lunch today. TOh reminded me about PLFs. And - yes - Swiss require all entrants, even if vaccinated, to fill out a PLF prior to entry. No particular big deal - but yet another piece of paperwork, just for a couple of hours 'out then back' - decided not to bother. There is a cross border commuter exception, but doubt that applies to us. Maybe easier next year hopefully! I was looking forward to chateau briand at a price that would not require a mortgage!! Referring back to Swiss Covid cert,: when we first started looking, they were not accepting A/Z vaccine - that caused us a few problems, but they eventually saw sense. i wonder what will happen with the booster jab probably being Pfizer - will they accept the 'mix' or will it go pear-shape again??
All good fun eh? (I won't mention travelling out through France on a Sunday - few/no shops open & not allowed to even bring a sandwich to eat on journey! Getting used to banana, dry bread & water (all allowed afaics!).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here’s my thought, we are in Cervinia rather than Zermatt this year. We will want to ski over. Need I buy a briefcase for all the paperwork?
Will I be able to eat in Zermatt at Lunch?
Will there be COVID border guards?
Tongue firmly in cheek, but the Swiss are keen, we were in Zermatt for the last days skiing in March 2020 before the lockdown, and restaurants had reduced covers immediately. Lots of people having to eat in hotels in rooms the final night.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kapt wrote:
. TOh reminded me about PLFs. And - yes - Swiss require all entrants, even if vaccinated, to fill out a PLF prior to entry. No particular big deal - but yet another piece of paperwork, just for a couple of hours 'out then back' - decided not to bother.

I do wonder how much the PLF forms are being checked with road traffic.

We drove into Switzerland from France on the N57 north of Laussane last night (about 7.30). Not the biggest border crossing but not exactly a side road either. There were the usual customs officers on the checkpoint but would they do PLFs? At the airports that is down to the immigration officers. In any case there was a constant stream of traffic (by coincidence the car in front of us also had UK plates) but the customs officers were showing no interest in any of us (we did have printed PLFs in the glove compartment). It was absolutely pouring it down mind.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I do wonder how much the PLF forms are being checked with road traffic.

Fair point. We arrived at border - wife's knees buckling under paperwork, both phones out on show with NHS apps, Swiss apps - even French tous anti-covid apps that we had need of in overnight stay in France! We were in a fairly lengthy line, awaiting a thorough grilling.
When we arrived in front of a tough, tall, grim-looking, thumbs in stab vest, mask under chin, border guard, we wound down (shows how old I am!) the window to hand over the passports. A moment's hesitation & expectancy on our part brought forth a grunt & jerk of the head. Oh OK - so all those hours of form-filling, QR code saving, pdf copying etc. etc.. . . . !!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JohnMo wrote:
Run28 wrote:

Unlike with the French app you can not load the NHS QR certificate direct into the Swiss app. You need to apply via one of the Cantons. I have the Swiss Covid Cert app. I did originally try to do it directly but as you say it just comes back with invalid signature.

Website to apply for the canton of Valais (or Wallis as we would say in German) is here (in English):

I applied on a Monday and it came through two days later. I am AZ vaccinated. I attached my NHS certificate as a pdf. The form asks for evidence of travel or right to be in Switzerland. I simply attached a pdf saying I was driving and that I owned an apartment - giving full address but not proof of ownership.

Thanks @JohnMo - so as a UK citizen we need to apply directly with https://tracing-valais.ch/en/certificat if we are staying in Zermatt - as the Covid Cert app wont be applicable with our NHS QR codes? I assume then this allows us to enter restaurants and bars as normal?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
twoodwar wrote:
Here’s my thought, we are in Cervinia rather than Zermatt this year. We will want to ski over. Need I buy a briefcase for all the paperwork?
Will I be able to eat in Zermatt at Lunch?
Will there be COVID border guards?
Tongue firmly in cheek, but the Swiss are keen, we were in Zermatt for the last days skiing in March 2020 before the lockdown, and restaurants had reduced covers immediately. Lots of people having to eat in hotels in rooms the final night.

They might get rid of the rule “no certificate: no indoor eating” but I wouldn’t gamble on it.

At present I would say get a Swiss app certificate. It can easily be done via the link in my post above. The Italians (and other EU nationals) will have no problems as their apps are compatible with the Swiss system automatically. There is a decent chance that by the time of the ski season the UK app will be compatible with the EU app (and so de facto with the Swiss). They were working on it and making hopeful noises. I am not sure where that would leave the Americans who with the Germans and Brits, make up the big three financially of foreign visitors.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Run28 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:
Run28 wrote:

Thanks @JohnMo - so as a UK citizen we need to apply directly with https://tracing-valais.ch/en/certificat if we are staying in Zermatt - as the Covid Cert app wont be applicable with our NHS QR codes? I assume then this allows us to enter restaurants and bars as normal?

That’s correct (for both questions). There is actually an interim period where restaurants and other indoor areas can accept your NHS certificate. But that ends in a few days. Once you have done the application and it is accepted you will have a QR code on your Swiss app like any Swiss user. It will look like this (obviously without my blankings out).

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers Johnmo, I’ll be watching closely over the next few months
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the guidance @JohnMo.

On another note - great snow fall up top in last 48 hours. Always good to see Rothorn with a nice dusting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone have a view if the Mountain operating company will be offering the ski pass discount this year? Normally the 15/20% discount comes online in October for the winter ski pass...I'm still yet to see it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Run28 wrote:
Thanks for the guidance @JohnMo.

On another note - great snow fall up top in last 48 hours. Always good to see Rothorn with a nice dusting.

Yep. It certainly has a feeling of it having started. The snow you can see on the Rothorn webcam doesn’t extend much further down. In the photo you can see the Rothorn lift hut just above the centre. The snow does not yet extend down to Blauherd (the next lift station down in the photo). On the closer side of the Findeln valley you can see the Riffelberg lift station with the snow line almost extending down to it.

I am surprised it didn’t come further down. Like much of Europe we have had amazing precipitation and the temperatures have been very low.

ski holidays
They have pisted the furggsattel all the way to Trockner Steg - now I am truly excited...

snow report
Wildsmith wrote:
They have pisted the furggsattel all the way to Trockner Steg - now I am truly excited...

Yes. It is all looking ready. I am pretty sure they could open skiing on the lower glacier this Saturday if they wanted to.

Today was meant to be my skiing day (on the upper glacier from Klein Matterhorn). However I sat in the apartment in my skiing gear continuously refreshing and hoping the orange “in preparation” would turn to green “open”. It never did. The reason finally given was “frozen cables”. The only lift open to the top is the old cabin lift. It has been very cold (about minus 20 up there overnight) but it is often that in January. Fortunately the new gondola lifts now operated in busier times seems not to suffer such problems.

Dejected I walked into Zermatt with the wife and decided to head up to Trockener Steg to check out the new snow. Right down at Trockener Steg it is a bit on the damp side but still pretty good and very good for first week of October. It will be that much better again on the glacier.

I walked along the t bar lift track (used at present by the piste bashers to get to the glacier and took this photo. You can see the two bashers working on piste 73 which is what will bring skiers down from the upper (summer) glacier to Trockener Steg. Shortly after this they moved onto pistes 71 and 72 (to the right as you look at it) which run down from the Furggsattel lift station you can see at the top. The lower glacier (which ends at the low point about 50 metres in front of where I was standing) is looking in fantastic condition. Anyone coming out next week should have a good time (assuming they do indeed open it).

snow report
Snow canons fired up at Bontadini with a week of cold weather expected - Cervinia due to open on 16th Oct but they have not yet released lift pass prices (I think because they are not sure what lift regulations /restrictions will be in place in Italy/Val d'Aosta). From their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BreuilCerviniaValtournenche/?__tn__=%2Cd-UC*F

snow report
Wildsmith wrote:
Snow canons fired up at Bontadini with a week of cold weather expected - Cervinia due to open on 16th Oct but they have not yet released lift pass prices (I think because they are not sure what lift regulations /restrictions will be in place in Italy/Val d'Aosta). From their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BreuilCerviniaValtournenche/?__tn__=%2Cd-UC*F

Very frustrating for the Cervinia lift company and all its customers. The Italian authorities don’t seem in a hurry to give guidance.

At worst the 16 October Italian side opening could just be the lift up to Testa Grigia to allow Italian side skiers access to the Swiss slopes (ie summer ski area and Furggsattel lift). In a poor snow year that is what their “opening” consists of. However this year the snow is good enough for them to open the Ventina (7) slope down from Testa Grigia to Laghi Cime Bianche and the top couple of lifts up to Theodulpass (and pistes back down from there).
snow report
Disappointing. They did not open the Furggsattel lift or even the run down from the summer ski area to Trockener Steg.
latest report
Quote:
Disappointing. They did not open the Furggsattel lift or even the run down from the summer ski area to Trockener Steg
So did you get any turns in
JohnMo? Conditions must be excellent despite the above?
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Disappointing. They did not open the Furggsattel lift or even the run down from the summer ski area to Trockener Steg
So did you get any turns in
JohnMo? Conditions must be excellent despite the above?

I am afraid not. I was out with the wife to go walking, which was very pleasant. Wednesday was meant to be ski day. I think conditions up top would have been great given the depth of fresh snow down at Trockener Steg. I am on the drive back now having gone via Andorra (for the excitement of Andorra v England). My first time in the Pyrenees. Very nice and made me tempted to try to visit for a ski.
snow conditions
Quote:
My first time in the Pyrenees. Very nice and made me tempted to try to visit for a ski.
Yes, it's a great place to ski. We based ourselves in Soldeu a few years ago and skied all the Andorra areas plus two areas in Spain and France as well.
snow conditions
Well they are starting the ski test this Saturday so you would imagine they would open Furggsattel for that. However there is close to zero chance of any new snow this week.

New ski test centre looks very smart. If you are wondering where “dry jetty” is - that is the automatic Facebook translation of Trockener Steg!

snow report
@JohnMo, is this the link that i will need to follow for zermatt as will there in a few weeks
latest report
ajc2260626 wrote:
@JohnMo, is this the link that i will need to follow for zermatt as will there in a few weeks

I am probably being dense: to which link are you referring and what info is it that you want to get?
ski holidays
@JohnMo, it was this one

do i need to fill this in to go to zeematt?
ski holidays
Ah right got you. I assume you are double jabbed. You need to fill in a Swiss passenger locator form.

https://swissplf.admin.ch/formular

That is all you need to get into Switzerland. If you want to use restaurants or other indoor facilities you need to get a Swiss certificate. Easy way is to download the app

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/swisscovid-app-und-contact-tracing.html

And then apply for your NHS vaccination certificate to be loaded onto the Swiss app (usually takes a couple of days). That is done via the link you posted

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes double jabbed, will have a look tonight

cheers
snow report
@JohnMo, i might be bing thick but have downloaded the app and then tried that last link, when i upload the file it doesnt seem to do anything, ive ticked no paper copy and have ticked yes for add to app directly, how do i get it to generate a code? which is the next box to tick?
latest report
i think that i have managed it, will wait to see hat lands Very Happy
snow report
One piece of good news: the run from the summer ski area to Trockener Steg is now open (the blue line in the photo). A much more pleasant way to head home than the trek up to the Grenz lift.

latest report
JohnMo wrote:
Wildsmith wrote:

Very frustrating for the Cervinia lift company and all its customers. The Italian authorities don’t seem in a hurry to give guidance.

At worst the 16 October Italian side opening could just be the lift up to Testa Grigia to allow Italian side skiers access to the Swiss slopes (ie summer ski area and Furggsattel lift). In a poor snow year that is what their “opening” consists of. However this year the snow is good enough for them to open the Ventina (7) slope down from Testa Grigia to Laghi Cime Bianche and the top couple of lifts up to Theodulpass (and pistes back down from there).

Prices have appeared on the Cervinia website (Adult 6 days in January = 332.50 euro)

https://cervino.skiperformance.com/en/winter/store#/en/winter/buy
latest report
@albob, yay!

From the website, it looks like they are not expected to open up italian side skiing until after 31 October.

I dared not speak of my plans to arrive on the 20th Nov, didn't want to jinx it... stupidsticious me... twisted knee playing football on monday... aargh, 5 weeks to recover!

All the info on the green pass / UK vaccine certificate have been really useful, thanks all - I tested that my NHS certificate worked on the italian checking app but I am wondering what will happen (to NHS cert holders like me) on Swiss side up the mountain who are just stopping by? Any thoughts over the next couple of weeks would be welcome (@JohnMo?!) Cool
latest report
Wildsmith wrote:
@albob, yay!

From the website, it looks like they are not expected to open up italian side skiing until after 31 October.

I dared not speak of my plans to arrive on the 20th Nov, didn't want to jinx it... stupidsticious me... twisted knee playing football on monday... aargh, 5 weeks to recover!

All the info on the green pass / UK vaccine certificate have been really useful, thanks all - I tested that my NHS certificate worked on the italian checking app but I am wondering what will happen (to NHS cert holders like me) on Swiss side up the mountain who are just stopping by? Any thoughts over the next couple of weeks would be welcome (@JohnMo?!) Cool

I would think that if you wanted to eat in one of the restaurants you will need the Swiss certificate (most easily got via the app as described above). You can go into the buffet bars and buy food/drink without a certificate but you have to take the food to eat on the outside areas.
ski holidays
Hopefully going back to Cervinia for a day in 2022 as part of our Aosta valley tour as we did two years ago. Loved the skiing there but two questions to possibly improve it:

I see that there's a new lift being put on up to Kleine Matterhorn - is that international pass only or can you start the Ventina run from up there?

At the bottom of run 16 into Cervinia town we ended up with a tricky finish then a tarmac walk back up to the nasty big concrete lift station in order to get us up to Plan Maison. Was there a cut through bit of piste we missed as we cam down into the town?
latest report
@Wildsmith, "from the website, it looks like they are not expected to open up italian side skiing until after 31 October..."

Hmm -- I keep seeing the 16th of October??

https://cervinia.it/en/eventi/apertura-impianti-inverno-2021-2022
ski holidays
@albob, 16th - 31st only the lifts up to plateaux rosa will open. There is a google docs link towards the bottom of this page (ORARI IMPIANTI CERVINO SPA):
https://cervinia.it/news/cervinia-inaugura-la-stagione-invernale-il-16-ottobre?fbclid=IwAR1vA5h_NmAslo-K99DT6SJIkco8a2Zb0wxjORmmDabgfsUTJy41sA9UZkA

Of course they could open Ventina and the run down via Theodulpass without opening more lifts!
snow report
MHskier wrote:
Hopefully going back to Cervinia for a day in 2022 as part of our Aosta valley tour as we did two years ago. Loved the skiing there but two questions to possibly improve it:

I see that there's a new lift being put on up to Kleine Matterhorn - is that international pass only or can you start the Ventina run from up there?

At the bottom of run 16 into Cervinia town we ended up with a tricky finish then a tarmac walk back up to the nasty big concrete lift station in order to get us up to Plan Maison. Was there a cut through bit of piste we missed as we cam down into the town?

The new lift from Testa Grigia up to Klein Matterhorn is not open until next Autumn. How this will fit into the Swiss/Italian/International passes has not been announced. It is a lift of the Swiss lift company so my guess would be that you will need a Swiss or International pass to use it. It is a pity because skiing the Ventina all the way down into Breuil Cerivinia having started at Klein Matterhorn is a great thrill but Italian passholders have to start it at Testa Grigia (still great fun mind).

On your second question: yes, that is frustrating. If you are coming down the Ventina (number 7) there is a fork where you can go skiers’ left on the 13 or skiers’ right and stay on the Ventina (7). If you do the latter you end up down at the bottom of the Plan Maison lift which gives access to everything. If you do the former you end up a small one lift served area. As you say, the only way you can get back to the main area is a walk around the street to the main lifts – a bit of a pain really. Despite always coming from the Swiss side I love going down to Breuil Cervinia and indeed Valtournenche – but I hardly ever cut into that little one lift area.
latest report
@Wildsmith, Ahh.... Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy