Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Record high temperatures in BC and Pac.NW

Poster: A snowHead
It sucks to be a glacier right now, as a persistent High Pressure "Heat Dome" has pushed temperatures in Vancouver and the Pacific North West to record highs of over 40C. The town of Lytton in BC recorded the highest temperature on record for Canada at 46.6C (116F) (approx 100km west of Whistler). The high pressure area extends from California up to the Canadian Arctic, and as far inland as Alberta and Idaho, with the US National Weather Service said the areas could suffer "one of the most extreme and prolonged heatwaves in the recorded history of the Northwest."
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it wasn't for Covid my son would have been skiing on the glacier in Whistler this week, seems crazy that anywhere you can ski is 40c.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Followed by extreme cooling tomorrow!!

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/06/27/even-more-extreme-extraordinary-record-highs-followed-by-perhaps-the-most-rapid-cooling-in-northwest-us-history/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

(approx 100km west of Whistler).

East ?

Still 'kin hot, whatever way up you hold the map...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arctic Roll, fuksocks... I blame the heat... well, the damp, greyness anyway.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seattle set an all time record of 104 yesterday, a record that is expected to be shattered today. We're all inside whining. OTOH, the tomatoes are ecstatic!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scooter in Seattle,
Did you beat it today?
I am currently doing the egg cooking experiment with my kids - pavement not quite hot enough, but I'm hopeful for the truck bed (in a frying pan!).
It's 41C here at the moment, and still getting hotter! Shocked
..and my portable air-con broke down! Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well the egg cooking experiment sort of worked (on the truck bed cover location), though not speedy cooking, and didn't eat them to test they were done! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stuarth, yes we did, 107. That's three days in a row > 100, also a record. Too bad about your A/C; I'd be bleating bloody murder. I'm too old and wimpy to live without it, though it doesn't have to be a meat locker...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Am I the only one to see irony in people using a/c to combat a heatwave which may have been partially caused by too many people across the world using things like a/c?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GreenDay, seems obvious. Same as driving/flying long distances in fossil-fueled conveyances to ski. Something about glass houses comes to mind.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
@GreenDay, seems obvious. Same as driving/flying long distances in fossil-fueled conveyances to ski. Something about glass houses comes to mind.

Not sure I live in a glass House mate, I cycle whenever I can and try to use as few natural resources as I can.

For example, I have not flown anywhere in the last 18 months Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GreenDay,
Yes, ironic, except all our electricity to power A/C comes from hydro-electric power, so perhaps you can dismount your high-horse for a bit?
We don't have A/C (not even our not very efficient portable one right now) - perhaps you should give living in a house that never gets much below 30C even at night, and is 35C+ in the day a go for a while and see how long it is before you get A/C?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That said, A/C does seem like a fairly antiquated technology - perhaps making A/C more efficient would be the thing to focus on, as it really is not practical to get rid of it, unless we become hobbits. I do have a semi-basement in my house fortunately, and it is much cooler down there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Over here air sourced heat pumps (broadly the same technology running the other way) are the latest technology, they're going to save us from heat death wink
snow report
In that sort of heat an open air swimming pool is always welcome..... Smile. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-57651894
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, many outdoor swimming pools have been closed as the deck temperature is above safe levels
snow report
Ouch!! 49.5C in Lytton today!! Shocked
Apparently that is hotter than the hottest day ever in Vegas!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canada-bc-alberta-heat-wave-heat-dome-temperature-records-1.6084203

Was the last day of our kids school term today and the local fire brigade turned up at their school with an engine and hosed them down! Cool
https://www.nsnews.com/in-the-community/district-of-north-vancouver-fire-fighters-surprise-students-with-end-of-school-soaking-videos-heatwave-2021-bc-3918525
latest report
50c is unimaginable. It’s 122f Shocked the hottest I’ve ever known in this part of the uk is about 31c. 35c in Rome was was getting near unbearable for me. It’s not surprising that the additional 14c is proving fatal.
Lytton is not that far from Whistler !
ski holidays
Obviously they're record temperatures, but the interior there, particularly Ashcroft from my personal experience, was always warm in the summer.
It's more dessert than mountains.
That said my mate Ken stopped running glacier camps in Whistler some years ago partly because the snow cover's so much less than it was.
The direction of travel there is clear enough.

Here's a shot of Ashcroft 20 years ago in summer. It was too hot to be comfortably out without air con even then.
Screenshot-2021-06-30-082704

In Phoenix when it gets over around 45 degrees people just stay indoors in the heat of the day.
snow report
My sympathies guys. I experienced 49 degrees in Dubai once - never again. Hope it’s soon more comfortable for you.
snow conditions
Just spoken to bruv in Calgary. It's only a month since he doffed winter tyres!

Bizarrely we knew Lytton as it was where a rock rolled onto the highway and bent his car.
ski holidays
Lytton is reported to be emergency evacuating due to a wildfire.
"It's dire. The whole town is on fire," Mayor Jan Polderman told CBC News. "It took, like, a whole 15 minutes from the first sign of smoke to, all of a sudden, there being fire everywhere."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57678054
ski holidays
Our own thoughts of being hot and uncomfortable turn to hope for the folks in Lytton, and the many others who will suffer in this way. We used to call it "summer" but it is fast becoming "fire season".

If you haven't been around wildfire, you can't imagine how quickly things can go from nothing much to nothing at all.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Lytton is reported to be emergency evacuating due to a wildfire.
"It's dire. The whole town is on fire," Mayor Jan Polderman told CBC News. "It took, like, a whole 15 minutes from the first sign of smoke to, all of a sudden, there being fire everywhere."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57678054

The updated article now says a wildfire has burned 90% of Lytton. Sad
ski holidays
Sad
latest report
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Our own thoughts of being hot and uncomfortable turn to hope for the folks in Lytton, and the many others who will suffer in this way. We used to call it "summer" but it is fast becoming "fire season".

If you haven't been around wildfire, you can't imagine how quickly things can go from nothing much to nothing at all.

Agree. We are hesitant to plan anything much outdoors in August now due to the good chance of needing to stay inside for the smoke.
I know someone who lived in a place burnt in the California fires; he said it was scary how fast the fire travelled, especially along gulleys - no chance to pack your stuff up and outrun it. Sad

Anyone who thinks this is nothing to do with climate change should swap their "it's due to not enough raking" suggestions for a firefighting suit.
snow report
@stuarth, had not heard that the wildfires are due to people not raking the forests. How many thousand square miles are expected to be raked in order to get a grip on this problem?
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang wrote:
@stuarth, had not heard that the wildfires are due to people not raking the forests. How many thousand square miles are expected to be raked in order to get a grip on this problem?
rolling eyes

It was the self proclaimed genius Trump who came up with the reason for California woodfires occurring was due to people not raking: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/19/make-america-rake-again-finland-trump-forest-fire Laughing Laughing
latest report
For those wondering about ignition sources, BC got over 29,000 lightning strikes in a 24 hour period. This happens in summer.

Lytton is mostly burnt to the ground, the pictures are awful.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle,

and a few not so natural ones too.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/castlegar-fire-alert-2021-1.6087722

@Alastair Pink,
To be fair to Trump, I'm sure forest management does help, but that is quite a substantial forest to manage, and not much you can do if climate change means everything is extra bone dry.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 2-07-21 20:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Here's an overview from the CBC of what happened to Lytton Sad
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1917179971848
snow report
And it's not only Canada that has been experiencing a record breaking heatwave, Land temperature in the Arctic Circle has reached peaks of 48C during a “persistent heatwave” in Siberia. Shocked

The EU programme’s satellites found land surface temperatures - different from air temperatures - widely surpassed 35C across Siberia on 20 June, with peaks at 48°C near the town of Verkhojansk, 43°C in Govorovo and 37°C in Saskylah. Last month, scientists called the heatwave gripping the Arctic “mindboggling” as temperature records in Siberia were once again broken.
latest report
Let’s all be honest about it and admit that we’ve properly fu(ked up haven’t we and we are destroying the planet we live on. Absolutely disgusting.
ski holidays
Cyprus appeals for help as huge wildfire rips through forest

Cyprus has appealed for international help to tackle a huge wildfire described by officials as the worst in the country's history. The blaze, fanned by strong winds, is spreading through the southern Limassol district and has forced the evacuation of several villages. Dozens of properties have been damaged but no casualties have been reported.

Cyprus has been experiencing a week-long heatwave, with temperatures reaching up to 40C (104F).
snow report
It's cooler in Nelson now but still 33 yesterday, average July high is 22!
We've escaped Boris but had to pack bags in case our house explodes. Fricken crazy.
snow conditions
motdoc wrote:

We've escaped Boris but had to pack bags in case our house explodes. Fricken crazy.

Crazy indeed, but be thankful you don’t have Gove!
snow report
AL9000 wrote:
be thankful you don’t have Gove!

Well, official radio silence but someone's got him*! Shocked Laughing

*allegedly
latest report
@maggi, Probably his owner, Howling Mad Murdoch has him in a trunk in a basement, with a snooker ball strapped into his gob…perhaps.
snow report
California and Nevada brace for record-breaking temperatures
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy