Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 21/22 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
-8 colder than usual - is that what it means? Precipitation?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@buchanan101, yep, 8 degrees colder than average at approx 1500m (850 hpa)

wouldn't worry about precipitation at a particular resort or even region at this range.....the pressure pattern is good (low and stormy), the temps are good, so the snow will be good

GFS 12z Op has flipped from warm outlier (vs. red mean) to cold outlier....but at least it's moving in the right direction, and more in line with other output

Just for fun, and not yet supported by mean charts, here's an example of how things could progress, ECM 12z at day 10, so 5-6th apr....keeps the atlantic ridge pointing north, and arctic air heading south into europe

Wash thermals, wax on, move plants
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Am gonna need bigger pots...
Great stuff! Sounds like that bloke in Jaws Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Du-ne du-ne du-ne

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still a long way out but it is all look positive for Easter. Cold air coming in hopefully with some precipitation… whoop, whoop.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah all signals starting to look good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's been consistent now (on Bergfex at least) for last 3 or 4 days. Be very surprised if it didn't happen now.

e.g. 0.5m over 4 days in Obergurgl

https://www.bergfex.com/obergurgl-hochgurgl/wetter/berg/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes signals are good

NAO goes negative for only the second time this winter, since mid Dec

AO already negative as it's more closely linked to strat warming, so high pressure has been building over arctic / greenland for a few weeks....with vortex displaced to north russia / scandi

Looking at avg of 4-8 degrees below normal over next 10 days

A quick look back at mid march...MunichIrish was right that GFS Op for 1st Apr had no bearing on reality, but at least it picked out the med low

The ensemble charts 10 days out got the pattern right for 31st....see top of previous page, all major features and anomaly strengths were pretty accurate

Looking ahead, 9 days away to 5th apr, some agreement for reload from the north, turning to a more NW direction (after upcoming NE spell).....not clear yet how far east this will hit, need it to back a little west ideally

ECM mean

GEM mean
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seeing hints of another drop in temps and precipitation spike around 9th April from the GFS runs for the Arlberg. Fingers crossed for some nice Easter refreshes and keeping my longish run of great snow at Easter!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, what are the best possible (realistic) expectations for Arlberg for that week, based on the new data?
Sounds very tempting Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
Seeing hints of another drop in temps and precipitation spike around 9th April from the GFS runs for the Arlberg. Fingers crossed for some nice Easter refreshes and keeping my longish run of great snow at Easter!

Nah - snow this week and at the weekend is enough for me - want a week of sunshine from Sunday please!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@drporat, not even thinking about it tbh, need this first storm to turn up next week as step 1!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Driving to Val Thorens arriving 2nd April, snow chains in the boot just in case
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowmadmum wrote:
Driving to Val Thorens arriving 2nd April, snow chains in the boot just in case

Driving to Tignes same day....snowchains definitely in the boot. Am a little concerned as I promised the wife that April would be fine!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've done Easter trips for about the last 10 years, and every year I make sure the hire car has winter tyres and snow chains. And every year the roads have been totally clear and never needed them. Just looked back at my booking for this year, and of course I haven't specified that for this year. Typical!! We're not off to Val Thorens till the 9th, but it looks like there's still a reasonable chance of it being snowy so better get in contact with the rental firm!!
ski holidays
I've some winter wheels for sale if anyone wants them!
Jealous of those going at easter.
latest report
Looking good for around 20-40cm snow widely across the Alps over the end of this week / weekend.

This shows accumulations up to Saturday morning.

Recent Wepowder forecast reckons some areas could get 50cm+

snow report
Starting to get excited and time start watching webcams. Heading out on Saturday.
snow report
kwood wrote:
Starting to get excited and time start watching webcams. Heading out on Saturday.

Me too. Obergurgl.

But only watching webcams now? I'm on there at the start of the season seeing when they start up the cannons
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:
kwood wrote:

Me too. Obergurgl.

But only watching webcams now? I'm on there at the start of the season seeing when they start up the cannons

Yeah I have been caught out, it was a total lie. I check them multiple times a day already NehNeh
latest report
kwood wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
kwood wrote:

Me too. Obergurgl.

Yeah I have been caught out, it was a total lie. I check them multiple times a day already NehNeh

Me too - every morning and evening.
Off to La Thuile on Sunday......... hopefully, this will land really well for us
snow report
Looks like large parts of Europe can expect snow during the next week - some impressive totals for parts of France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany and Poland. Even large parts of Central-Southern England could see snow on the ground Thursday morning. Certainty a chilly start to April across the continent!

snow report
^ looks similar on this mornings 00z

anomalies and ensembles are saying the 5-6th NW blast might be the last of it for now, replaced with milder SW flow....hard to say if it will be wet/dry, but almost a week of snow to come first
snow report
Webcams showing loads of snow in La Thuile this morning...............higher up anyway - sleet/rain in the village
ski holidays
With the last week of the season booked in for Saas-Fee, viewing of the webcams this morning makes for very pleasant viewing after weeks of warm drought! Very Happy
ski holidays
let it snow! Very Happy snowHead snowHead
latest report
Are there any weather / snow forecast sites that people find more / less reliable than others? I'm convinced some of them add on a few CM snow to keep you feeling positive!

I like looking here - https://www.skipass.com/meteo/samons.html - because it seems quite optimistic, but I'm aware that other forecasts may be more conservative!
ski holidays
I like Bergfex - seems to be reasonable. But there will be folk on here though who know which use which engines, and which runs from which engines...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.bergfex.com/samoens/wetter/berg/

how does that compare?
latest report
@albertosaurus, think we're all guilty at looking at the optimistic sites at times Laughing

For me, I have a mix of weather sites that use GFS and ECM, so I'm getting a balanced view of the models - and if they agree then I tend to get excited.

And I ignore any snow amount figures - i just use the sites to try to understand if it's going to snow or not, not how much.
snow report
hmm similar - maybe it will actually snow this week !
snow conditions
albertosaurus wrote:

Laughing I think it already is!
snow conditions
is it worth paying for the 14 day forecast on wepowder? Do they have any data that's not available freely elsewhere?
ski holidays
@albertosaurus, not worth paying for 14 day forecast anywhere, too far out to be meaningful
ski holidays
Quote:
I think it already is!

Including the North Pennines Very Happy

snow report
Seems to me to be near perfect conditions next week? Good snow over weekend, very cold thereafter and sun peaking out from Sunday and Monday? Followed by probably more snow and more cold and sun?

Thinking of a quick jaunt to Engelberg, anyone any thoughts? Does it get busy on a snowy weekend?
latest report
@albertosaurus, this is a 14 day winter forecast for the alps. You can get the whole range of forecasts on WXcharts, basically the same data as Wepowder, Snow Forecast and the various forecast sites use. You can choose a home location for meteograms / ensembles , in this case St Anton.
snow report
Snowing down to 1400m so far in the NW, expected to drop well below 1000m tomorrow.

Jet stream will switch direction early next week.....with low's drifting east due to high pressure nudging into france, but swiss/austria should do well next week too (as potentially colder)

NE flow on sun 3rd on northern arm of jet. Southern arm still running strong.

NW flow by tues 5th

Still some uncertainty over 6-8th, freeze line hopefuly not much more than 1600m in the west by then, lower to the east

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 31-03-22 11:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
polo wrote:

Still some uncertainty over 6-8th, freeze line hopefuly not much more than 1600m in the west by then, lower to the east

This would be spot on for Easter weekend Smile
ski holidays
@kitenski, it's got potential, certainly across the northern alps

GFS 06z just out shows a brief northerly as it crosses.....too far for one run to be accurate, and I probably trust GFS 06z and 18z less than 00z and 12z

I think we are seeing the effects of having the remnants of the polar vortex parked over scandi.....which is so much better than if it came down on the greenland side
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy