Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 21/22 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@kitenski,

Yes spot on , I’m actually touring from next Tuesday , week tomorrow , just at the same time the weather starts to breaks down at the moment that is .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bizarre to open Wepowder and see not a flake forecast. Literally only two resorts come up in the fresh snow forecast section, with 3 and 2 cm respectively.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rob Mackley, ah! well enjoy Smile

I'm off to the Arlberg for Easter, lets hope we get some new snow! GFS looks promising but too far out at the moment.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
8611 wrote:
Bizarre to open Wepowder and see not a flake forecast. Literally only two resorts come up in the fresh snow forecast section, with 3 and 2 cm respectively.

Looks like the Pyrenees might be getting a few cms this week but it's looking all a bit dry for the alps! Fingers crossed that that the ray of hope mentioned by BobinCH comes good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, maybe more of a mirage Sad though the current weather pattern will end at some point
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Am seeing more of a lazer display than single ray. The models are driving with full headlamps on towards an end of month northerly.

ECM, GFS and GEM day 10 means are aligned. NOAA 8-14 day also came on board.

Lets see if these charts are 80% accurate for Thurs 31st.

Looks very likely that Scandi and possibly UK will see a significant change, but it's a little more complicated further south....that pesky Iberian low may pull the pattern SW, returning the alps quickly to warm air from the south. But that's getting too far ahead for now....temps will drop, it will snow in northern europe, only question is how far south and of course the freeze line.

GFS 06z probably foolin around

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 21-03-22 13:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Let's hope for a change. Back to weather watching for the next two weeks. We head out to les deux alpes on 9th April
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One of the wheels is coming loose with GEM Op sliding everything east, but other models haven't changed much.

Found a new toy today, ECM squiggles!
Hasn't got all the options that GFS version allows, such as FL, but nice to see precipitation included. It has 50 ensemble members (GFS has 30), plus an Op, Control and mean.
This for Avoriaz....doesn't look particularly cold yet as it's too far south, I'd guess a FL between 1600 and 2200m, but that kind of detail is not reliable 8-10 days out.

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It’s now coming into the YR 10 day outlook. April is the new February?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I often wondered if YR.NO adjusts the raw ECM numbers. When I look at latest YR for Avoriaz for Wed 30th it says max -2c, min -10c (at 1800m) but the 00z raw ECM data above shows the Op (black line) barely reaches zero at it's lowest point at 1500m (850hpa) on 30th. Unlikely to be 10 degrees difference over 300m....so they must be making adjustments, don't see how else they get such low min's, maybe they are using higher definition / resolution for data input that we don't see on raw ECM.

Neither likely to be right at that range tho.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am trying to work out whether I am driving up to Tignes on the 2nd of April in a blizzard or whether it will be clear skies and dry!

Wetterzentrale GFS suggests precipitation - https://wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=39495&model=gfs&var=201&run=00&lid=ENS&bw=1

Ventusky says clear skies - https://www.ventusky.com/?p=47.9;6.1;5&l=rain-3h&t=20220402/1200

Going to put it in the too early to tell basket!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That would be epic. Although I might have to make a last minute dash to buy winter tyres
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@FrediKanoute, that wetterzentrale link is great...has ensemble data for other models and multi model

But the ventusky link is also using GFS data (bottom left corner)....but just showing the GFS Op run, whereas wetterzentral you are looking at 30+ ensemble spikes, while the Op is showing very little (thick green line)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In case anyone doesn't know what Op and ensembles are.....the Op means Operational, which is the main run for each model, ie run at the highest resolution. Then you have 30-50 (depending on model) iterations of the main run, where they adjust raw inputs slightly, these runs make up the ensembles. So it's an age old question, which is more reliable at say 8 days out, the higher resolution single Op run, or the average of 30+ slightly adjusted runs.

I'm always in the average camp, believing the ensemble mean to have more predictive value than a single (albeit more accurate) Op run, especially in the 8-14 day range.

Anyway, GFS 06z Op run is in line with averages (above) for the 31st, northerly flow into northern europe, westerly into the alps....as the low crosses over it's going to briefly bring a NW component, quickly followed by SW airmass (2nd-4th april). So if it all pans out like that, you're going to have to be quick to catch the cold snow. Altitude would still get snow, but not the best snow.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On the basis of this sensational news, I've booked Tignes 9/4 for a week.
snow conditions
polo wrote:
In case anyone doesn't know what Op and ensembles are.....the Op means Operational, which is the main run for each model, ie run at the highest resolution. Then you have 30-50 (depending on model) iterations of the main run, where they adjust raw inputs slightly, these runs make up the ensembles. So it's an age old question, which is more reliable at say 8 days out, the higher resolution single Op run, or the average of 30+ slightly adjusted runs.

I'm always in the average camp, believing the ensemble mean to have more predictive value than a single (albeit more accurate) Op run, especially in the 8-14 day range.

Thanks this is really useful! No matter how many times I get told, it still always bamboozles me!

I've got everything crossed for just one more dump before our trip on the 9th, just to freshen the slopes up a bit.
snow conditions
@up4it, views not news.... apr 9th is way beyond the range of these models, but it does look like a change is coming at month end from current dry and warm spell

ECM 12z looks great for April fools....9 days away, so expectations of it verifying are pretty low.....but the general pattern is what I expect to see, atlantic high pressure ridging up towards iceland / greenland, N-NW flow crossing alps, ahead of another warm up

We've seen this pattern get swept east several times this winter when a strong strat polar vortex was whirling above. Now that the strat has completely unwound it's spin, there may be less eastward drift in the short range models.
snow report
Cold smoke 1st to 4th? Wax up those powder skis…
snow report
Hoorah! Change may be afoot at long last Very Happy

Time to cross everything - fingers... toes... eyes Shocked ...the lot! - ahead of our Austria trip on 6th April.
latest report
@mountainaddict, it does look like change is coming, not unusual for Easter in both Scotland and Europe! Also off to Austria but on the 10th so still too far away to be getting excited!
snow report
Do you guys think that the model above will stretch down to La Thuile / Le Ros area?
latest report
@Gaz_H, you can use the link below to take a look. In all honesty, it's all still a little bit far away to take too seriously - however, it's been warm and dry for a while, and quite a few of us have trips planned in April so we're probably looking further ahead than we would normally. But we all know it's too early to get too excited at this point.

https://wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?model=gfs&lid=ENS&var=201&bw=1&geoid=73931
ski holidays
cheers - I'm off on the 3rd so slightly earlier than you guys and prob more exited Smile
snow report
I presume there isn't anything on note due to hit Savoie in the next 10 days. Crying or Very sad
latest report
@Mosha Marc, There seems to be a change in the weather set up that has dominated the Alps for several weeks next week and this time next week the Savoie might see some new snow , it even might be quite cold for the season towards the end of next week , not sure as I’m going next week that I’d like to see the end of the Sun and a return to cold , damp and gloomy with differing snow.rain levels . We shall see .
snow report
Gaz_H wrote:
cheers - I'm off on the 3rd so slightly earlier than you guys and prob more exited Smile

Laughing Laughing I actually meant it's too early to get excited about a potential weather change that's over a week away, as anything can happen over the next week, and we're all seen potential snow in FI just disappear to nothing as it gets nearer. That said, it does feel like there's a change in the air!

As for the actual holiday, of course I'm crazy excited as always - first family ski holiday since 2019, and nice to have a ski trip not dominated by 'will it, won't it happen' covid thoughts (on recent trips, it feels like less time dreaming about skiing and more worrying about documentation!)
snow conditions
The mean anomaly charts for 31st haven't changed, but there is still plenty of uncertainty across Op runs

Starting with the worst looking, you have UKMO and ICON...slack flow drifting east

In the more promising camp is ECM, GEM and JMA....north easterly due to northern flow getting pulled further SW and hooking up with med low

GFS has another variation with more westerly direction, milder

Here's the next 10 days snowfall from GFS 00z Op....usual caveats, just one run, from one model, that doesn't look like the others
snow report
Forecasts for middle/late next week starting to look great; 50cm of new snow in Obergurgl Weds>Friday, and temps down to nearly -20C on the mountain

https://www.bergfex.com/obergurgl-hochgurgl/wetter/berg/

Guess who is arriving on the Saturday Smile

I know it's a way off, but fingers crossed, and the general consensus is that the weather IS finally changing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alps certainly need some snow. What there is, is holding up well, however last few days it has been really hot and very slushy down below 1800m

It’s over 20c in Vallandry today.
ski holidays
GFS still toying with the idea of a more westerly flow around month end......it has a bias to forecast too much energy progressing west, but that's 4-5 runs in a row now so it can't be fully ignored

GFS 12z show's how marginal the freeze line would be in this pattern, 1200-1600m to the north and 2400m further south, but it does drop a little as the low crosses. Very stormy few days over UK as well.

ICON 12z shows the ideal evolution, similar to UKMO, JMA
Nice clean atlantic ridge in place by Thurs 31st

Allowing the flow to turn heavy and cold from the NW by the 2nd.....a classic N-S sandwich on this run would bring snow to both sides

And at 1500m temps would be -12c over Scandi and -8c over UK

GFS 12z next 8 days, out til Saturday 2nd, after which it's still expected to turn warm and dry again with maybe another low crossing around the 6th apr

Other models haven't updated yet, but it really looks like GFS is out on it's own regarding more of a westerly flow and higher snowline. Next few runs will decide.
I see Wepowder has finally switched it's view of 'no significant snowfall in sight' to 'changeable monthend'. What took them so long? Cool ...they seem to rely too heavily on GFS to form an outlook. It's one model out of 6 that are useful in my view.

GEM just out
Sides with the others re. solid ridge 31st, then N-S sandwich 1st-2nd apr with a more NE flow

GEM temp anomaly
ski holidays
Thanks @polo, great update!
snow report
ECM doesn't flinch

1st Apr pressure and temp anomaly

There isn't much scope for a good compromise though....tomorrow GFS needs to get in line or the other good charts will have to revise temps upwards
snow report
Thanks, for those of us who struggle with abbreviations like GFS and ECM it does seem that some snow and lower temperatures might actually be on the way. Perhaps our booked April flights will after all get us on the snow!
latest report
@polo, I know what I would would like but my gut is telling me the current GFS will be closer than the others it’s just the way the whole season has gone , especially when I in the Alps which will be the next two weeks , let’s hope my feel is wrong .
ski holidays
yep it's been a season with a lot of near misses, often too far east or too far west for most of the alps. Models have converged slightly overnight as you'd expect, GFS a little cooler, others a few degrees warmer. Either way it's going to start with a lot of rain on lower slopes but by Sat should be snowing in the valleys.....I'd guess most precip in NW alps will fall with FL between 2000 and 1400m, but there is still a chance for proper cold snow down low as well (GEM sticking with a -12c anomaly on Fri).

Can see the spread of total precipitation options on this link...hard to say where the sweet spot will be....Balkans? Or 172mm in Grenoble?
https://meteologix.com/fr/model-charts/swiss-mrf/france/accumulated-precipitation/20220403-1800z.html

GFS 00z nominates Scotland

Nightmare for any overly enthusiastic farmers / gardeners....I have pumpkin and courgette that need to get outside before they take over the living room Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:
Nightmare for any overly enthusiastic farmers / gardeners....I have pumpkin and courgette that need to get outside before they take over the living room
I suspect you'll not be getting much sympathy for that on here! Here's to them taking over the house Laughing
latest report
Am gonna need bigger pots....some Op runs suggesting this could be a prolonged Janvril episode, all bets are off beyond next weekend
snow report
polo wrote:
Am gonna need bigger pots....some Op runs suggesting this could be a prolonged Janvril episode, all bets are off beyond next weekend

That’s what I’m talking about snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
polo wrote:
Hoping it all clears up from about next Saturday - don’t mind cold… at least Innsbruck shouldn’t be hit by snow so airport should be ok… never not been able to land yet
snow conditions
GFS 12z smells the coffee

1st Apr

2nd Apr
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy