Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cablecar crashed in Piemonte

Poster: A snowHead
8 people dead in a terrible cablecar accident in Piemonte: https://torino.repubblica.it/cronaca/2021/05/23/news/precipita_una_cabina_dalla_funivia_stesa-mottarone_a_bordo_8_persone-302368991/?ref=RHTP-BH-I300637120-P1-S1-F

Hope they figure out the reason - Thoughts going out to all involved and their families.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just saw this on the BBC website. Literally my worst nightmare come true.

Thoughts go to all affected.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is a true nightmare. Now they reported 9 dead, and two kids rushed to hospital - A very sad day!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BBC link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57219737
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The cable car gives access to the Mottarone ski area from Stresa. It is a blow to the area which has suffered grievously from the effects of Covid. Most of the hotels have been closed since last spring with a knock on effect on other businesses.

Poignant for me, I've taken the cable car down having rollerskied up to Alpino/Mottarone from Stresa a couple of years back right after the cableway reopened after a long shutdown.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Now 12 dead - What a tragedy:-(
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Terrible. One wonders if the covid shutdown (meaning, deviation from normal operations) caused unforeseen problems here.....and elsewhere. These lift systems have a lot to inspect and don't maintain themselves.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The final toll seems to be 13 dead and 2 kids (aged 5 and 9) rushed to hospital. Sad Apparently the cable car can hold up to 40, so it could have been even worse.....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is a rare and horrific accident - this is the first of it's type in the last few decades is it not? Awful, awful news.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@userscott, I think the last Italian cable car accident was in 1998 when 20 people died in the Cavalese cable car accident. That of course was caused by reckless USAF personnel ignoring low flying restrictions resulting in the aircraft cutting one of the cables.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Terrible. One wonders if the covid shutdown (meaning, deviation from normal operations) caused unforeseen problems here.....and elsewhere. These lift systems have a lot to inspect and don't maintain themselves.

I had that exact thought … They are having a hard time financially too … I hope this is not a question of corners cut. This is ofcourse only speculations at this point.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A number of images here https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/seilbahn-absturz-lago-maggiore-italien-1.5302085 . In one of them you can see, what appears to be, the drive cable hanging loose from a pylon. The suspension cable appears to be intact.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
14 people dead, awful. Just hope it isn’t a lack of maintenance issue that is behind this.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Terrible and I’m sure the worst nightmare for many of us.

I’d always assumed (hoped) that there were multiple cables on these big cars ie not a single point of failure?
snow conditions
An awful tragedy. We all live by a thread. No real control in our lives so no point to panic, it can't help.
BTW, they just announced here that 6 of the victims are Israeli. Apparently the parents and their 2 children were living in Italy, and two older persons came to visit. Probably their folks. Sad
ski holidays
@Boris, the typical design would be for a single fixed suspension cable and a moving drive cable (this appears to be the case here). In normal operation the wheels of the cars run over the fixed cable and the car is pulled along by the thinner drive cable. My understanding is that the thinner drive cable should be able to support the car in the extremely unlikely event of a failure of the suspension cable but I might be wrong about that. There are now designs using two suspension cables (one type is called "3S", an example of the same name is in Kitzbühel), this allows the cable cars to be used in windier conditions.

Reports suggest (and fits with the image noted above) that the drive cable broke for some reason causing the car to start an uncontrolled descent until it hit a pylon which in turn caused it to come adrift from the suspension cable and then crash to the ground below. The failed cable partially blocked an access track causing issues for the rescue teams. Clearly this is only speculation based on various eye witness reports and will need to be officially confirmed. The investigation will not only need to ascertain why the cable broke but also why the various safety devices which are supposed to stop an uncontrolled descent (much like in a lift) failed to function.
snow report
@munich_irish, thank you - interesting stuff - if that’s case definitely questions as to why (by sounds of it)multiple systems failed
ski holidays
If the drive cable breaks there should be an auto brake on the main cable, this must have failed too.
latest report
Is it a twin car counterbalanced system? If so, what happened to the other car?
snow conditions
ringingmaster wrote:
Is it a twin car counterbalanced system? If so, what happened to the other car?

Brakes seemed to have worked on the other one.
snow conditions
Super interesting video footage of cable car brakes in action from ETH Zürich and Sölden Resorts:

http://youtube.com/v/pPQWz_NIBTs

Unfortunately bad quality, but a must watch vor every Snowhead!
ski holidays
Another article with a more detailed description of the events based on various eye witness reports https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/seilbahnunglueck-absturz-italien-lago-maggiore-1.5302588 . Basically the car was slowing down to enter the top station when the drive cable snapped, the car started descending, the emergency brake did not engage, after hitting the first pylon the car left the suspension cable and crashed to the ground. The cables were checked using x rays by the large well known lift company Leitner last November. From what is known it appears the lift was properly maintained.
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
@munich_irish, thank you - interesting stuff - if that’s case definitely questions as to why (by sounds of it)multiple systems failed

Pretty much every disaster involving safety critical equipment involves multiple systems failures - for obvious reasons.

Awful.
snow report
Local authorities have just said, that they cannot rule out, that there isn’t a crime behind the accident - Wonder what makes them use those words?
snow report
Quote:

Wonder what makes them use those words?

Maybe because some journalist kept asking "Can you rule out that this was sabotage?". To which, clearly, the only truthful answer is "No".
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Wonder what makes them use those words?

Maybe because some journalist kept asking "Can you rule out that this was sabotage?". To which, clearly, the only truthful answer is "No".

Makes sense.
snow report
DanishRider wrote:
Local authorities have just said, that they cannot rule out, that there isn’t a crime behind the accident - Wonder what makes them use those words?

Because there have been some of late - none causeing death or harm to people (that I know of) , but major destruction of lifts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DanishRider wrote:

Having watched too much Montalbano I think it is because that is the way the Italina system works after ant unforeseen death ..the Policia Di Stato have to investigate these occurances and report to the examining magistrate ..also all transport policing come under their jurisdiction
snow conditions
Isn't it the same for unexplained death in the UK? When my husband died suddenly a police officer was summoned before the doctor and paramedics left, to oversee what was happening, didn't leave until his body had been taken away, took notes, asked me questions (e.g. what he had eaten) etc etc. I guess once the post mortem had established the cause of death (cardiac failure) the police were "stood down" but if there were toxicology implications they'd have piled in an investigated a possible murder.
ski holidays
@pam w, that's quite a story and awful for both of you of course; strong of you to share it. I'm assuming you're fine with their response, which seems professional and appropriate, if not exactly empathetic.

These people are trained: when I called for an aid car for my mom, whom I'd found unconscious, they arrived and walked right past her, which I didn't like. But they went right to the stove that she'd turned on hours earlier, and the water was long gone from the pot, and I hadn't noticed anything other than my mom, and which could have set the complex on fire had I not shown up, and turned it off. They were great.
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle, I was completely satisfied with the emergency response which included two ambulances and a helicopter, as well as the poor policeman, who was professional but also quiet, unobtrusive and empathetic. No complaints at all. My OH had the easiest job - the doctor said he would have been dead before he hit the floor. I wouldn't mind going like that, one day. Whereas being in that cable car would have been, as already noted, like the worst nightmare. That poor little boy..... Sad
ski holidays
Thursday's stage of the Giro d'Italia has been diverted to avoid going over the Mottarone as originally planned.
ski holidays
I think the rules on manslaughter are even more stringent in continental countries - so any form of maintenance failure can be construed as such.

I recall in the old days there always used to be an attendant in a cable car - presumably manually to take the actions that are supposed to be automated.
snow conditions
It appears as if the cable car system had mechanical problems and that the emergency brake on the car that crashed had had its emergency brake disabled by the operators. There was also CCTV in the top station which has recorded what happened. No explanation as yet as to why the cable broke. https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/seilbahn-lago-maggiore-festnahme-1.5304195
snow conditions
@munich_irish, Jesus
latest report
@munich_irish, that's criminal greed. That cable car should not have been in use.
ski holidays
There is more detail here https://www.corriere.it/ but I dont read Italian (just about cope with reading a restaurant menu!) and google translate isnt up to much but there does seem to be a rather murky story behind all this. A lot of confusion about who actually owned the cable car and who was responsible for paying for maintenance.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, that's pretty damning, assuming all true. I believe some of the senior management from Champoluc are still in jail for the tragedy of the Crest lift in 1983.
snow report
Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy