Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GB Snowsport charges athletes £33k to take part in their programme

Poster: A snowHead
The governing body of British Olympic skiing and snowboarding are charging athletes up to £33,500 a year when they become a part of their programme, a Sportsmail investigation can reveal.

Winter Olympics medal hopefuls must sign an agreement with GB Snowsport to become a team member and be able to attend training camps, with most contracts detailing an annual fee which must be paid. The controversial ‘pay to play’ policy appears at odds with the principles of the Olympic charter, which is to encourage ‘sport for all’, including for people of ‘different social and economic conditions’.

At the same time, GB Snowsport directors are earning six-figure salaries, with latest accounts showing two chiefs were paid through consultancy contracts rather than as employees.

Ski Sunday presenter Graham Bell, who skied for Great Britain at five Winter Olympics, told Sportsmail: ‘By making it so expensive, it closes off the potential pathway of many young winter sports athletes. That is a real problem.’
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's absolutely disgraceful.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timmycb5 wrote:
That's absolutely disgraceful.

It certainly is. Unfortunately, it's not surprising. Why are the directors paid so much if they can't get the sponsorship for their athletes? Jobs for the boys, again? (Disclaimer, I haven't read anything other than the title of the article as I can't be bothered to disable the adblocker for the Daily Fail.)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the goal is to become a top-5 (which is, frankly, lunacy - we'd have to displace every other nation up to the USA, Canada, Germany and Norway! The day the UK finished above Austria in winter sports will be the day Austrians burn the country to the ground!) then its a pretty weird way to go about it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the face of it, it's outrageous but it's important to bear in mind that it's in The Daily Mail which has been proven countless times to lie blatantly, repeatedly and on the whole to be an agent for general scumbaggery.

Every time I have seen anything written in the Mail that I personally knew anything about, it was at least factually incorrect and at worst pursuing an entirely fictitious and (IMV) harmful agenda.

It would be nice to find a more trustworthy source of info on this subject.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The figures in the Mail report line up with those in the latest set of accounts filed at Companies House (I havent gone back to 2018) and if true that "Sportsmail has discovered that a third director was paid, alpine director Paul Trayner, who used to have a voluntary role. This omission was described to Sportsmail as an ‘auditing mistake’. "

Then it pretty shoddy account preparation and audit. Its disclosed in the Related Party notes so appears its been left off the Directors rem note maybe just for the number of Directors paid. Its is an area that normally gets a decent amount of scrutiny as many are interested in it, especially for a body getting public funds.

Not a good look at all. The Directors pay, the increase in "admin" expenses (which can cover an expanse of costs), the fall in sponsorship income, and the fact that they are using companies to bill their services to maximise their take home (ie. minimise the tax they pay if they were salaried), then making athletes pay a large fee to be eligible for the Olympics.

Interesting to note that these "‘team membership’ and ‘attendance at training camps’" fees are said to cover " the cost of licences, coaching and coaching equipment, entry to events, lift passes, accommodation and travel." Hard to imagine its the same cost for all athletes so some are subsidising others?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have no idea whether the Mail is correct on athletes having to pay to join a GB Snowsport training program to be eligible for the Olympics.

I know of alpine racers opting to pay for independent programmes or to train with commercial groups in the past, they were still counted as British Team members though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having just seen Jamie Nicholls state he cant afford to attend another Olympics, I suspect there's a lot of truth to it, and if so utterly shameful
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yes - saw Jamies post this morning. He does say that he has other issues which means he'll not be going to 2022, but certainally makes it clear that the endless rounds of fundraising for subs to SSGB pretty crippling.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How is GB Snowsport funded?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:

Partly sponsorship and partly by grants from UK Sport.

I am a member of GB Snowsport through having had a competition licence, I would have expected the AGM last year to have been online but I don't remember getting an invitation, I did get an invitation to the Snowsport England online AGM.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree that it isn't right for the leadership team to be taking 6-figure salaries/payments if they are not delivering. (Be that sponsorship or whatever their role is).

But there is rarely enough money in amateur sport to 100% fund all aspiring athletes. GB Snowsport are getting from UK Sport £11m over 4 years (for the non-para side), but with now so many disciplines that probably has to cover around 50 athletes - an average of £50,000 pa per head. To cover food, accommodation, travel, entry fees, licences, training camps, support staff, medical, equipment etc etc.

I suspect the alpine programme may cost more than others, perhaps nearer £100,000 pa per head which would mean GBS putting in around £66,500. So they have an uncomfortable choice: ask athletes to contribute one-third of the cost, or drop one-third of the squad. Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ecureuil, Alpine racing at the Olympics has national quotas plus the technical events have got big enough to need a qualifying race before the medal event. I would expect slightly more alpine athletes to go to the next Olympics than the recent World Championships but not all that many.

I stopped commenting on the "Why don't we pay Daniel Yule to race for GBR" thread as I didn't have recent info on the funding situation.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

Partly sponsorship and partly by grants from UK Sport.

Any idea how much it costs to have an athlete on the programme for 12 months?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seems the US ski program also bills their B and C team athletes for travel expenses

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/01/09/grooming-talent-takes-a-mountain-of-money-for-u-s-ski-team/#:~:text=The%20U.S.%20Ski%20Team%20has,of%20more%20than%20%24100%2C000%20each.
snow report
extremerob wrote:
Seems the US ski program also bills their B and C team athletes for travel expenses

Some of the US world cup athletes are not US team members at all.
latest report
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-9348165/Furious-GB-skiers-demand-answers-funding-scandal-revealed-Sportsmail.html

The follow up article from the original Daily Mail article
ski holidays
Interesting to read this. I interviewed Martin Bell for the podcast last week. He told me he felt racers were better resourced in his day and that he's just received a bill from GB Snowsports for the spell that his daughter, Reece, spend in Europe recently with the team.

Listen here: https://audioboom.com/posts/7822922-a-ski-podcast-special-martin-bell-downhill-racer
ski holidays
Pushing IR35 to one side - 89k a year to run Team Snowsports GB isn't that outrageous. That's if it's a full-time position and not 1 day a month.
ski holidays
It's an interesting story, but Jeez, those pages on the Daily Mail online are hard to negotiate - there is so much crap on the page that has nothing to do with the story
snow report
rjs wrote:
@ecureuil, Alpine racing at the Olympics has national quotas plus the technical events have got big enough to need a qualifying race before the medal event. I would expect slightly more alpine athletes to go to the next Olympics than the recent World Championships but not all that many.

I stopped commenting on the "Why don't we pay Daniel Yule to race for GBR" thread as I didn't have recent info on the funding situation.

The kid was brought up in the Swiss system and has lived all his life there. Bit strange if he then raced for GBR no?
snow report
I remember reading a similar story a few years ago.

Picture a typical, well off, middle class family of four standing outside their large detached house, complete with very expensive cars parked on the block paved driveway in front of a triple garage. Mum and dad both looked really sad, with the corners of their mouths turned down and their foreheads deeply furrowed. Their problem was that their son was an aspiring ski racer and they were being asked to pay towards his development.

Life can be so, so cruel.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy