Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2021/2022 (Dec 3 - April 24)

Poster: A snowHead
@stanton, closing the tunnel is a pretty big thing to do, it is one of the major east west European links, with no real alternative route. The Arlberg pass is hardly suitable for anything more than cars and a few buses. I wonder if they might have to have a timed one way system? It is going to mean huge traffic jams for months on end and not pleasant for summer visitors to St Anton. The Vorarlberg folk might be happy as they will be able to claim they are cut off from the rest of Austria so might as well join Switzerland Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They closed it before summers 2014-2017 for the 1st phase renovation, they know what they are doing...

Pre 1978 Trucks used to roll through St Anton Day & Night Very Happy Very Happy

Here are the details

https://www.asfinag.at/ueber-uns/newsroom/pressemeldungen/2021/sanierung-arlbergtunnel/

https://ms-my.facebook.com/bezirksblaetterlandeck/videos/arlbergtunnel-im-sommer-2022-und-2023-gesperrt/1008655759896383/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some more fotos of new Madlochbahn construction.

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=6350#p5329622
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, if the ski season actually happens this year, we have 2 windows to head to the Arlberg. Either the 2 weeks after NY or a week around March 13th.

We usually visit, stying in Lech, last week in Feb/first week in March and 9 times out of 10 have had fantastic conditions. In later March the base will be good presumably, but getting warmer (my friend not a happy Spring skier unfortuantely). In early January, what are 'typical' conditions like. I know its weather so anything could happen. But I'd guess pistes decent and some off-piste? Or ...

All opinions appreciated!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gortonator, if you want the best chance of dry snow, even powder, then early January is your best bet. You could encounter some seriously cold days - the coldest I have encountered was -26C on Schindler, but that is very rare. -10 to -15C is fairly common. On the flip side, there might not be enough depth for decent off piste; Look out for sharks! The first 2 weeks after NYE are generally very quiet.

Your best bet for decent snow depth is certainly early March. Off piste should be good, in terms of depth. You will however likely have freeze-thaw conditions, especially on the lower half of the mountain. If Easter does not fall in the period of your stay, then it will again be getting quieter.

It is however “weather”, as you say. In my 18 years of skiing there, I think I have seen just about every variation. You might get fantastic powder drops in March, or you might sunny, warm days in January. Sorry, I cannot be more precise, but I think you know the nature of our playground.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some years there will be lots of snow in December followed by a cold January which can make for great skiing but perhaps more likely is not so much snow with the first big falls coming in January. March is likely to be just about maximum coverage but from the middle of the month the snow can get slushy in places though that really only affects the lower south facing runs in Lech & St Anton. One point to bear in mind is that the ski routes like Madloch dont have snow making so generally dont open until January when the base has built.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thx - we've had some pretty amazing pow in early March virtually every year, but going 2 weeks later probably reduce likelihood and def be slushier. Which is fine by me but not friend.

Good point about snowmaking/ski routes. Hotel we stay at usually is right at the end of the Madloch!

Will almost certainly be a last minute decision anyway given experiences of last 18 months. We were actually in Lech for the last weekend they were open in 2020. Was a great ski week!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gortonator, you can’t say 2 weeks later will def be slushy. I’ve had weeks in early April that were cooler and had more fresh snow compared to very warm and dry Marches!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
@gortonator, you can’t say 2 weeks later will def be slushy. I’ve had weeks in early April that were cooler and had more fresh snow compared to very warm and dry Marches!

Sure. Not 'for sure'. But statistically more likely. Even though we've had great snow early March last few years, it has generally warmed up quickly each day. Seem to remember few days when below 0C at end of ski day in Lech.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gortonator, I think you get more fresh snow days in April than March, but also warmer avg temps!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
@gortonator, I think you get more fresh snow days in April than March, but also warmer avg temps!

https://www.onthesnow.com/vorarlberg/lech-zuers-am-arlberg/historical-snowfall.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
More constuction Fotos of neu Zugerbergbahn

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=6350#p5330055
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/hjpKFyW6AkY
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gortonator, the slopes will be much quieter in Jan., after the New Year. As has been mentioned Jan usually brings heavy snowfall, but I've had rainfall also in Jan below the mid stations. Off piste is more of an issue, snow depth/base usually not so well established, but pistes good and not so busy. Certainly the second week of Jan is quieter, obviously so are the bars.
I am usually in St. Anton Jan - March.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gortonator, @kitenski,

The winters in Lech am Arlberg since 1926/27

http://youtube.com/v/xyWUhK1wuWU

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lifts Construction fotos & video

https://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/3120698/

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Folks... Expect Covid Pass access to anywhere indoors this season similar to Germany's 3G's (geimpft, genesen, getestet) rule.
vaccinated, recovered, or tested
snow report
@stanton, more likely to be 2G, including lifts. No jab no ski!
latest report
@munich_irish, 2G for sure. I wouldn't be too surprised to see it reduced to 1G, regardless of your genesenen status
latest report
2G

This is quite Possible ....

Amsterdam is now looking to Berlin's 2G model

https://nltimes.nl/2021/09/15/netherlands-adopt-berlins-nightclub-plan-let-clubs-open-overnight

Whatever solution Vienna announces for the coming season ...it needs to be soon because many tourists will weigh their travel decision on what will be possible ...

Many Folks will NOT travel (especially from the UK who have to fly ) if they can only get "Half a Holiday experience " to what they are used to....

I already Know some things Sad but I will leave it for now...
ski holidays
Aw go on @stanton, let us in on the secrets!
ski holidays
@Steilhang, you should know by now that @stanton, has many top secret sources, usually they can be found by reading newspapers or Alpinforum Very Happy . I will be fascinated to see if he plans to go skiing next season given that he has said he will not get vaccinated, no jab no ski perhaps no jab, no taxi driving!
snow conditions
@munich_irish, valid points. But you have to understand St.Anton values him so much he will have a special dispensation to ski whenever and wherever he wishes and the locals will be honoured to be given covid by him...
latest report
@munich_irish, I think he'll be okay. he skins up, no mechanisation required!
latest report
As already being discussd elsewhere

Apres Ski is being reclassified to the NightLife Sektor

3G rule will apply to Apres Ski .. The Austrian Health Minister wanted it to be strictly 1 G (Vaxed Only) but they have settled with 3G

If the Situation (infections etc) deteriorate during the season ... Apres Ski & NightClubs will move to 1G or even be closed down.

Attention Lift riders !! Some more fotos of the environmental carnage you are party to. Skullie Shocked

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=6375#p5331841

and this is what you will financially contribute towards the destruction of the Alpine landscape..

snow report
@stanton, none of this is exactly news, it is the current situation. If over the next few months things get worse then it is clear that 2G or even 1G will apply. As to the environmental issues skiing causes, dont disagree, but all of us who contribute to this forum (you included) are part of that. Anyone who works in St Anton or other resorts (taxi drivers included) is contributing to the financial ecosystem that facilitates the building of new lifts, constructing pistes etc.
snow report
We had settled snow last Monday night (27th) down to the Moose but was gone in the morning in the bright sun..

Next week comes the first major Dump of the Season..

ski holidays
You know when autumn has arrived as there is a strange compulsion to look at the webcams to see how much white stuff has come down......
snow report
Yep, fresh covering today in St. A.
ski holidays
On other important matters ... will saunas be open? Eh oh!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am hearing that bookings are slow. Perhaps many people are planning to travel, but will book closer to the date, ie a "wait & see" attitude.

There are so many hospitality jobs going at the moment. My FB feed gets maybe 4 or 5 ads each day from businesses looking for staff, ranging from cleaners to chefs. One local suggested to me that Brexit is to blame, ie fewer Brits able to get the permits, but have also heard that the Austrian government has cut back on permits. Both sound plausible.

I do wonder how many TO chalets will operate this winter. A double whammy - people reticent to share spaces with strangers and, as above, getting staff to run them.

All in all, it will be a different winter. I hope to be part of it, with the announcement that Australia's international borders will open around 1 Nov.
snow report
gortonator wrote:
On other important matters ... will saunas be open? Eh oh!

Only if you wear a mask! Very Happy
snow report
@ulmerhutte, finding staff for all types of employment is currently difficult everywhere, the "hospitality" sector has more problems than most. Somewhere like St Anton which only has a small resident population is going to find things even more difficult. Almost certainly wages will have to go up to attract workers and that will feed through into increased prices in hotels & restaurants.

The "chalet" concept was struggling anyway, especially in Austria, the employment regulations have been tightened in recent years. The days of giving someone "free" accommodation, food, a season ski pass and a bit of pocket money in return for 50+ hours a week's work were gone even before Brexit.

Hopefully you can escape the world's largest prison camp Very Happy though do make sure you note the issues around getting a vaccination pass, there are various hoops to jump through if your certificate has not been issued in the EU.
snow report
We're def in the wait and see category. Complexities with travel might mean we target places where flights are direct from US, so no changing planes in different countries. Will depend on many many factors which will start to consider in, er, December I guess. Default of staying local not bad. There's no pandemic in Idaho and Montana wink Puzzled Cool
snow conditions
@gortonator, or at WSU either wink
snow report
Because of the massive increase in unemployment last year in the Ski Provence. . Tiriol,Salzburgerland etc .. The Austrian government wants these jobs filled by locals before Visas are issued..

They are limiting visas and as previously mentioned those coming will need to commit to Summer also....

You may well ask how they stop them leaving..? They Tax them at a very HIGH rate (50%+) and then get a rebate at the end ....

The sesson is far from certain in terms of providing a few months of steady employment and salary/tips so the usual Eastern Europeans will probably not relocate...They also have memory's of March 2019 treatment...

As for Brits.. They really only make up a small minority (tiny %) of workers ..

They are only prevalent in Englush speaking Ski Areas like St Anton..

They can be replaced easily by Irish & other EU citizens.

Ski schools .. employ lots of Dutch as they we can communicate in English,German& Dutch plus we get by in French and Spanish ..

They may even start bringing in cheap labour from Nepal and the Far east ....

Germans Tourist by Far make up the majority into Austria .50%+ followed by the Dutch .... The UK is quite a ways down in Tourist numbers..
snow conditions
@stanton, what's this got to do with the Arlberg? Lots of other threads for you to use up your one post a day though you are hardly giving out new information. At least the pictures of the new lifts from Alpinforum have some interest.
latest report
@munich_irish,

Heyman

To many negative waves dude...

There are many (100's) Brits (only UK passport holders) right now trying to seek work in St Anton on FB groups and jobboards ...

Hiring through Visa process for Winter 'only' is not an option...

I find it strange ....as if they have not heard of Brexit and the End of Free Movement ..

I'm just pointing out the Reality..simples ok?

________

Piccadilly is finally history.....and s now

https://www.giggls.at/

Rumours abound ..but heres one...

A large very famous Apres Ski joint (maybe 2) on the hill will become a Hotel ....

Standby in the future for Dynamic Pricing (lifts)

It's always safer and free to Stay Off Piste...

Very Happy
snow conditions
Back Again before the season opens

AUDI FIS SKI WORLD CUP LECH ZÜRS
13.11. - 14.11.2021

https://www.oesv.at/der-osv/tickets/details/audi-fis-ski-weltcup-lech-zurs/

Floodlighting has already been re-erected for the race during last weeks storm (All gone now) !

http://youtube.com/v/Km-uUIKo4cY

This Case is still ongoing from Last Season ...(unauthorised construction of the course) the case for the authorities is not yet closed, five of the ten proceedings are still open, Crimnal proceedings may still follow ..

The operators of the "Flexenarena" in Lech-Zürs have to pay administrative penalties of a total of around 60,000 euros after allegations of violations of the law in the construction of the World Cup and training course.

https://www.vol.at/flexenarena-60-000-euro-strafe-fuer-lech-zuers-betreiber/7143322
snow conditions
Awesome pilot skills, especially during the placement of the upper sections, with men on the tower. Loved the music.

EUR60K fine? Probably considered the cost of doing business.

Do I think this is a good spend? Nope, but I am not directly paying, nor does it affect my enjoyment of Zürs, so summa summarum I don’t care either way.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/ItgiycP4jsY

https://hit-the-sky.at/de/

Weather

http://youtube.com/v/JrmtM58HuFM
snow conditions
A PCR question:
I am required to undergo a PCR test in St. Anton before flying back, all I can find on the web is the official St. Anton am Arlberg website linking €120 tests in local doctors' office.
Any other (cheaper) option?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy