Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Issues with Blackdiamond/Pieps transievers

Poster: A snowHead
jedster wrote:
@extremerob,

Thanks
I got a reply from Doris Resch this morning but she was asking me for serial numbers and proof of purchase. I've given her what I can (they are in France) and hopefully I'll get a similar offer.

Interesting - @jedster, is the email you used to contact Pieps also registered on their website for the warranty of your transceiver? My email is, though i had doubted they looked it up to know what my warranty status is - it appears that maybe I was wrong and that is why you have been asked for further details of your device?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just checked my gf's Pieps.

The position of the harness buckle is so placed, that any pressure on the buckle is directly transferred to the switch that allows the slider to move, and it can then be moved very easily by a finger (or by snow inside the jacket in an avalanche, potentially).

She has 0 interest in an upgrade or buying a new transceiver and says she will consider it an acceptable risk until/unless Pieps announces a recall rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, I received the same email, sent a photo of the serial number and received the upgrade offer within the hour
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:

The position of the harness buckle is so placed, that any pressure on the buckle is directly transferred to the switch that allows the slider to move, and it can then be moved very easily by a finger (or by snow inside the jacket in an avalanche, potentially).

She has 0 interest in an upgrade or buying a new transceiver and says she will consider it an acceptable risk until/unless Pieps announces a recall rolling eyes

Presume that is with the dsp facing out?
I think this is how the sliders have broken on two of mine - in a fall, the buckle can be pushed against the switch causing it to crack.
We always wear the dsps facing in to the body now.
Not that I'm confident that is enough protection hence exploring replacements
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
extremerob wrote:
jedster wrote:
@extremerob,

Thanks
I got a reply from Doris Resch this morning but she was asking me for serial numbers and proof of purchase. I've given her what I can (they are in France) and hopefully I'll get a similar offer.

Interesting - @jedster, is the email you used to contact Pieps also registered on their website for the warranty of your transceiver? My email is, though i had doubted they looked it up to know what my warranty status is - it appears that maybe I was wrong and that is why you have been asked for further details of your device?

It is the same email but only one of the three is registered rolling eyes
However I do have the receipt for the other two and I've sent her a copy of that.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:

Jeezus. Well, at least you know what to buy for Christmas Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlet wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

That's what I was thinking - I think PIEPS are on purpose avoiding a recall, in order not to set themselves up for any lawsuits due to potential failure of their devices. Lets wait and see, they may change their view in a month or two and with Christmas skiing not looking likely im not in a massive rush to replace the unit.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Presume that is with the dsp facing out?
I think this is how the sliders have broken on two of mine - in a fall, the buckle can be pushed against the switch causing it to crack.
We always wear the dsps facing in to the body now.
Not that I'm confident that is enough protection hence exploring replacements

Theoretically either way. Any pressure - whether something from outside (on the buckle) or something from inside (rib bone?) - can de-press the switch, enabling the slider to move without any resistance. Granted if the device is facing inwards and it's a bone de-pressing the switch there's less chance of something being able to move the slider at the same time, but...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got the same €100 upgrade offer , my 5 year warranty having run out 2 weeks ago. In 2 minds as to whether I take it up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of my Chamonix posse just received this message regarding his 2017 tranciever:

"Hello Mike,

thank you for your message.

I can offer you a free Upgrade (Powder BT).

Please send the DSP directly to us with using our device service form.

link: https://my.pieps.com/de#deviceservice

Please note in the comment field: "free Upgrade Powder BT".

After receiving the package I can replace it free of charge. Please note that this may take 5 - 10 working days."

It was from a lady called Doris.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Life insurance? wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Life insurance? wink

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Message sent to Pieps last night (I have a brand new DSP Sport, replaced under warranty last year because the previous one, which was 3 years old, had severely reduced range whilst searching).

Reply this morning essentially says, there's nothing wrong with the switch, just keep an eye on it. They offered a free service if I wanted it. No option of a replacement.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mgrolf, that is pretty poo-poo, I would be fuming! I am certain they are trying to avoid a recall, and on the TGR forum people there are getting inconsistent responses.

I would just reply saying that upon further inspection the switch is cracked/broken - see what they then reply. If it comes to it - I am sure there are ways a crack could be introduced.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 29-10-20 11:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@extremerob, I'm not best pleased and I have told Pieps this, politely of course. We'll see what they say.

If they fail to fix the issue, I will simply consign the beacon to practice duty, and buy a new one ( not a Pieps - I'll take my custom elsewhere). I was sceptical a few days ago (as I posted on here) but further investigation and testing have convinced me that I just won't take the risk.
latest report
mgrolf wrote:
Message sent to Pieps last night (I have a brand new DSP Sport, replaced under warranty last year because the previous one, which was 3 years old, had severely reduced range whilst searching).

Reply this morning essentially says, there's nothing wrong with the switch, just keep an eye on it. They offered a free service if I wanted it. No option of a replacement.

Yeah - I got the same message today. This seems a completely different policy from the 100 euro upgrade. I've queried that and haven't got a reply. I wonder if someone has worked out they cant afford all the 100 euro upgrades they are going to get.

Frankly I think this may be a blessing - force me into buying new ones from another brand. I'm seriously losing confidence in Pieps.
latest report
Look on the bright side, now lots of people have a spare tranciever that they can use to practice searches with.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/2SHg5e9rPVg
latest report
Heavy - surprised they didn't mentions the pieps transceiver at all, even as a separate addition to the film segment as an after event. The release and timing of this video is no coincidence, and the comments are just a barrage of hate against Pieps for not dealing with this.
snow conditions
Also on a side note - Clarus the parent company that holds Pieps is holding their 3rd quarter conference call a week Monday - may be interesting to dial in and see if there is any talk of the Pieps issue.

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY, Oct. 28, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Clarus Corporation (NASDAQ: CLAR) (“Clarus” and/or the “Company”), a company focused on the outdoor and consumer industries, will hold a conference call on Monday, November 9, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. Eastern time to discuss its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2020. The financial results will be reported in a press release after the close of regular stock market trading hours on the same day as the conference call.

Date: Monday, November 9, 2020Time: 5:00 p.m. Eastern time (3:00 p.m. Mountain time) Toll-free dial-in number: 1-877-511-3707International dial-in number: 1-786-815-8672Conference ID: 9449518

Please call the conference telephone number 5-10 minutes prior to the start time. An operator will register your name and organization.
snow conditions
extremerob wrote:
Heavy - surprised they didn't mentions the pieps transceiver at all, even as a separate addition to the film segment as an after event. The release and timing of this video is no coincidence, and the comments are just a barrage of hate against Pieps for not dealing with this.

Maybe they were still questioning if Nick McNutt might have made a mistake...

How is he, just shaken?

Toby
snow report
Having sent a moderately snotty reply, Pieps have now offered me a free upgrade to a Pro BT, which is more than I was hoping for. I'll take them up on this. Quite why they didn't offer it in the first place is anyone's guess. I'm also a little bemused as to why they haven't offered me the Powder BT, which seems to be the direct replacement for my DSP Sport, but I'm not complaining about that.
ski holidays
@mgrolf,

Ditto - 100 euro for upgrade to pro BT is very reasonable.
Has anyone used the new transceivers? Beyond the comment that the new switch is stiff (on beacon reviews - which overall gave the product a very strong review) has anyone used the the new models? Think I can live with the stiff switch if it is robust. Alternative for me is probably to spend £700 on 3 barryvoxes
snow report
@mgrolf, I understand you only just had a unit replaced so within a year or two on warranty - hence the free upgrade and nice bonus to go Pro. Is it also Doris messaging you?

@jedster, are your devices within the 2-5 year window and that's why they offered you the upgrade for €100

Can't find any reviews faulting the new units really, other than the switch stiffness, which is ironic.
ski holidays
@extremerob,

I think I bought them in 2016 so yes.
If they were sensible they would also be reacting to the fact that I've already had two units replaced with failed switches in 2017/2018. In their shoes I would want me "inside the tent"...
snow conditions
@extremerob, yes, it's Doris. She seems to work very early in the morning, both messages have come at around 06:30!

@jedster, I've not used one of the new ones (nor seen one in the flesh). The reviews seem to say they work pretty much like the old DSPs, and if that's the case I'll be happy as I found my DSP to be very easy to use, until the search function went wrong.
ski holidays
I wonder if there will be a issue is stock? If everyone that owns one takes up an upgrade, you have to wonder when they will run out of stock. they have been selling those models for x years and they are very popular (I have 8 friend with them). I can see them holding that much stock of newer models?

I would have though they could have done a casing change, the old and new units are really the same case with the difference being a slider on the newer ones and the button on the older, so should be able to change the inner over. A run of casing etc should be easy to sort as they have the design and being plastic should be quick to churn out the numbers, if they offer a change of case, service and update, i would guess many would be happy.
latest report
I got a reply with offer of free exchange to a Powder BT, without having to argue. I asked if I can have a Pieps Micro instead and they ok, so I requested Micro BT. Sent them off today with the forms. Looking forward to seeing them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Themasterpiece, out of interest when in 2015 did you buy yours? I bought mine in 10/2015 and was only offered an upgrade to the powder BT for €100
latest report
nickH wrote:
@Themasterpiece, out of interest when in 2015 did you buy yours? I bought mine in 10/2015 and was only offered an upgrade to the powder BT for €100

2015-11-02. I registered for the extended warrantee last week.
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, got your money's worth then!
snow report
@Themasterpiece, wow, lucky timing!! My warranty ran out a couple of weeks ago hence , I suppose, the poorer offer.
snow conditions
Had a play around with mine today. If the screen is facing out pressure on the buckle can definitely press down the switch enough to unlock the slider (although it took a fair few attempts to achieve this). However, once depressed short of directly using my fingers to purposely slide it, it didn't seem to be going anywhere. I am struggling to see how even with the button depressed the slider moving inside the harness could be a common problem. Not saying it can't happen, but probability of such a specific force on such a small location seems very unlikely. Of course you can say any risk at all is too much, and I do plan to contact pieps to upgrade mine. I'm not quite buying this is the huge problem social media has made out though.
latest report
Nick McNutt posted yesterday about the issue with Pieps and did a comparison with the upgraded DSP BT version. The fact he said there is a way that the new one may not lock but is "user error" is a bit questionable!

https://www.instagram.com/accounts/login/?next=/tv/CHBU5imB18o/%3Figshid%3Drl9suet81t1c
ski holidays
Quote:

The fact he said there is a way that the new one may not lock but is "user error" is a bit questionable!

I mean it was pretty clear it wasn't locked. When he first did it I even thought why is there a big gap there, until he said. I don't think anyone can seriously call it a fault.

I tried repeating his demo from the video. It didn't slide. Cranked the harness straps as tight as possible and it still wouldn't slide. Started moving the position of the straps around a bit and eventually found one combination where the button would depress and I could push the slider as in his demo. So it may be a problem that only effects certain harness positions. Even then I still question how likely it is that a specific force pushes down on what is a miniscule area to move the slider.

Of course better so be safe than sorry (I just emailed pieps about an upgrade).
latest report
I would like to suggest a new product that I invented: Ski Finder and Avalanche Rescue, because I am afraid of avalanches, and once, I lost a ski while skiing off-piste.
I developed this product out of a need and based on my personal skiing experience.

The Ski Finder and Avalanche Rescue device can be better than a transceiver (no stacked buttons, no malfunctional electronics).
The transceiver will give you a zero point, but this might be up to 1 m (3 ft) or more from the buried person, and when you have to move 1 ton of snow to rescue the person, That Means Alive Or Not.

The product is more a service to the powder addicts community that we all are a part of it, and its price hardly covers the manufacturing costs (less than half the price of a daily ski-pass: US$ 35 including shipping).

This product will increase the chances of Surviving an Avalanche, or Finding a Lost Ski in Deep Powder.

The concept of this product incorporates 2 small pouches attached to the skiers’ legs. When the ski detaches from the Skier's boot, it will pull out a red strap highly visible.
1) In the Avalanche Rescue mode, it deploys two highly visible Red Straps 5 m' (16.4 ft) long, one strap attached to each leg, noticeable by the rescue team, that will know that at the other end of the strap, there is a buried person.
2) In the Ski Finder mode if a ski detaches from the boot while powder skiing, a highly visible Red Strap 5 m' (16.4 ft) long, trailing behind the ski, will make it easy for ski retrieval.

If you need additional information, please visit my website: https://www.ski-finder-avalanche-rescue.com
snow report
Someone on TGR posted a link to a lock you can 3d print to prevent the slider from failing on the DSP sport - genius!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4629708/files?fbclid=IwAR0HEKwdEjgGWm6uIloUJutI2UFZ3uJMxnG0GU3z6YkzCDUazVrG2_WmeNM
snow conditions
@Themasterpiece, once you created the "+new device service order" did you then receive an email from Pieps with confirmation or a shipping label? and did you send the holder or just the transceiver only?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 2-11-20 22:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
OMG this chap is everywhere!
snow report
@extremerob, i first filled in the warrantee forms, pdf them, and sent them with an email to support@pieps.com to ask about the exchange. They replied and said fill in the service order form and note “free upgrade to Pieps (model...)”. Then printed those with the email and put them in a Jiffy bag with the beacons and posted them off.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy