Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland snow reports 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
Right I’ve booked Wed night @ a hotel in Dumbarton, then will be up at Glencoe Thursday testing the boots out!!

Just wondering did people go up with boots on to walk to the snow or wear hiking shoes to get to the snow line??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, drove past Glencoe yesterday afternoon. Still several big and very ‘worth the trip’ patches - could see fresh tracks on (I think) flypaper from earlier yesterday, someone clearly had fun.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Inboard, yes looked decent hence the decision to make the trip!!

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
Right I’ve booked Wed night @ a hotel in Dumbarton, then will be up at Glencoe Thursday testing the boots out!!

Just wondering did people go up with boots on to walk to the snow or wear hiking shoes to get to the snow line??

We have touring kit, so walked to the snowline (in touring boots) then skinned up from there.

Although most were ski touring, we did see a few folk hiking up in ski boots from the top of the chair, while shouldering skis, or strapping skis to a rucksack. Mind, we also saw one lad making the climb in hiking boots, while shouldering his skis and carrying his skiboots in an over-the-shoulder bootbag Very Happy

And one man hiked to the snowline in trainers and tied them to a snowfence before he skinned up. wink

The choice is yours!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
About 30 mins to the snowline (when we were there) via the track up beside the new chairlift, then cutting right across the hillside at the top.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Out of interest, why all the interest in Glencoe? There is more extensive cover accessible from the Cairngorm base station, and you can still park at 600m ASL...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@denfinella, it’s about 2 hour quicker return journey for me from Glencoe and already been to Cairngorms two weeks ago!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, It is not 2 hour quicker from Glencoe than Cairngorm down south. Cairngorm is 2.5 hours form Glasgow and Glencoe is 1,45min.

What hotel did you book in Dumbarton? I know the area.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Out of interest, why all the interest in Glencoe? There is more extensive cover accessible from the Cairngorm base station, and you can still park at 600m ASL.
I'm pleased to report that Mrs MA and I have been interested in three Scottish areas since lockdown was relaxed wink (See previous pics...)

So far in May, we've done three days at Cairngorm, one at Nevis Range and two at Glencoe and have enjoyed all of them.

Cairngorm may just have more vertical available' than Glencoe...There is maybe 350-400m vertical if the White Lady is skiable from the top of The Ptarmigan; versus 250 - 300m at Glencoe - if the Haggis Trap and Wall are skiable; and about 300-350m at Nevis Range - ie Summit Run to around tower 4 or 5 of the Goose T-bar.

I don't know how much of The Ciste is skiable at Cairngorm - that could possibly increase the available vertical, as could any complete routes from the summit of the mountain.

IMO, all are worth a visit in current conditions - though, as has been alluded to, the snow can be accessed at Cairngorm without paying for chairlift or gondola uplift at Glencoe or Nevis.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@kitenski, It is not 2 hour quicker from Glencoe than Cairngorm down south. Cairngorm is 2.5 hours form Glasgow and Glencoe is 1,45min.

Kitenski is saying 2 hours extra, return (not each way); and he may be driving via the A1/Edinburgh, rather than M6/74 and Glasgow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bergmeister, Ahh now I get it. If A1/Edinburgh then they are about the same. I would go Leeds A1M A66 M74 (Stay on M74 down the bottom of Glasgow to miss the M73/M8 traffic), past Glasgow airport then over the Erskine bridge and onto the A82 to Dumbarton.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GlasgowCyclops,

There's not much in it, either way, for those of us in north east England. We've travelled your suggested route a lot, as well as the alternative - via Edinburgh, Stirling and Callendar, to Crianlarich (which we did last month on our Glencoe trip). We love the scenic nature of the latter route in particular, though the Loch Lomond stretch (on the other route) is also great.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GlasgowCyclops, wow you know where I live, where I might be going first, the route I’m taking, the time of day, traffic etc etc. Very impressive, can you let me know the lottery numbers??

Edit to add in smilies Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin Razz

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 23-05-21 16:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out of interest Waze is saying 4hr 42mins if I left now to Glencoe and 5hrs 31mins to Cairngorms. Pretty damn close to a 2 hour return trip difference!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GlasgowCyclops, yup that’s the route I’ll take.
snow report
Have fun, @kitenski, I hope the snow holds out. As I said to you, more like 9 hours each way for me, plus any stops.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, wow you know where I live, where I might be going first, the route I’m taking, the time of day, traffic etc etc. Very impressive, can you let me know the lottery numbers??

Edit to add in smilies Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin Razz

Happy

I use to do some work in Leeds Uni and since it says Leeds under your name I guessed. Happy

Your lottery numbers are.... oh no, that would give away my cover.
latest report
Quote:
...as well as the alternative - via Edinburgh, Stirling and Callendar, to Crianlarich. We love the scenic nature of the latter route in particular
I'll second that - it's a lovely route. And (time permitting) worth a 10 minute detour to have a look at the scenic Falls of Dochart in the pleasant village of Killin. Particularly impressive after heavy rain.
ski holidays
A slight divergence, but - continuing the Scotland theme - have (m)any of you visited Applecross or Torridon? We went to each two weeks ago, after our Glencoe and Nevis Range skiing, and were blown away by the scenery. It was beyond incredible, with stunning mountains, single track roads, views of Skye across the sea, white coral beaches, many deer sightings (close up) and fantastic mountain biking and hiking; Oh! and not forgetting the sea kayaking we didn't have time to do.

Highly recommended for any of you who haven't been. Both places are on the NC500 and we can't wait to go back Very Happy .
latest report
Yes, wonderful place, but not recently. We were camping at Applecross and I remember getting up in the night and having the most stars I can ever remember seeing in the sky. The steep winding road to it over the mountain is quite exciting and the view towards Skye when it comes in sight spectacularly beautiful. The first time we went that was the only road to it (the coastal road didn't link to it). We are going to hire a cottage near Torridon for a week this August.
snow report
@mountainaddict, people ski on Ben Lawyers however there is no lift to give you a speedy rise to the top. Ben More (near Crianlarich) is also a popular ski location, but again a long hike. Great places if you stay close by to get some turns on good days with good snow cover.

Killin mountain rescue is close by too!
snow conditions
Ben Lui, too, I gather, West of Tyndrum. But perhaps that is only in winter?

Photo from Steep Scotland

Edit: No, I found a nice video of Ben Lui in May. And some others

http://youtube.com/v/FqL_TXvp7tU

http://youtube.com/v/eJx1j2sJIyA

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 25-05-21 10:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Thanks for those pointers Bigtipper and snowball Smile

Great videos.
snow report
can't seem to see anything on the Glencoe website, I've pre-booked a chairlift, what time does the ticket office open to pick it up??
snow report
kitenski wrote:
can't seem to see anything on the Glencoe website, I've pre-booked a chairlift, what time does the ticket office open to pick it up??

The chairlift usually opens at 9; although I don't think you will need to worry about a lift queue! wink

It looks like it could be a straight race to the summit tomorrow between you and Mountainaddict. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, yes I know the chairlift opens at 9am but assume I need to show my QR code at the ticket office?? Or do I just show that to the liftie??

@mountainaddict, are u at Glencoe tomorrow???
ski holidays
@kitenski, The time for the chairlift which is 09.00, if you are on the website click on Glencoe Mountain at top left then scroll down past the links for the activities etc, you should see the times for the cafe and chairlift on the right hand side.
snow report
@larry1950, yes I know the chairlift opens at 9am but assume I need to show my QR code at the ticket office and get a ticket, so when is that open?? Or do I just show my qr code to the liftie??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure if the chair is open then the ticket office will be too. So I'd just arrive at 8.55am.
snow conditions
@kitenski, Sorry I misunderstood, not had to book a ticket online but you would expect the ticket office to be open before the chair starts, hope you have a great day.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@larry1950, yes I know the chairlift opens at 9am but assume I need to show my QR code at the ticket office and get a ticket, so when is that open?? Or do I just show my qr code to the liftie??

If your email has a QR code for your chairlift tickets you can go straight to the Access Chair and the lifty will scan the eticket.

Also the temporary cafe opens at 8am, so you can grab a breakfast roll and coffee before going up the chair! snowHead
snow report
@haggishunter, thanks
latest report
Well test of new boots (thanks solutions4feet) and new Shift bindings (thanks The Piste Office) all went very well! Snow was very nice, soft spring snow, 3 laps of main basin and two of spring run and I'm a touch tired with about 3 hours drive remaining!!

Nice to bump into mountainaddict (pictured) and his better half!

Moody skies all day, sun out for the walk, sun in for the down seemed to be a repeating pattern!

snow conditions
Ah, one more "up" than I managed. Well done, but then you are younger, and probably fitter than me. Was the Haggis Trap negotiable and was it still possible to continue main bowl runs down part of the Wall? Do you know if anyone was still skiing the Flypaper?
Nice clear weather (and photos) by the way.
ski holidays
@snowball, Haggis trap is probably skiable for the young or foolish, almost sheer drop down it at the moment and narrow up again the other side with a kicker, think the Wall is finished. Glencoe said Flypaper starting to get a bit sketchy as it's starting to break up around the buttress rock.
latest report
Oh well, at least you got some nice skiing which you couldn't assume at this time of year. When I arrived I could skin up the Wall tow from the bottom and often continued main bowl descents two thirds of the way down the Wall run. The first day I actually skied all the way to the bottom of the wall at the end of the day, though the last bit was partly over grass and it wasn't possible 2 days later.

Great photo with the Ranoch Moor lakes in the background.
latest report
Pic someone took of me at the start of Spring run

ski holidays
Nice, I didn't take one there. What lens was that!
ski holidays
Back down from day 2 at Glencoe - more sunny weather and lovely granular spring snow Very Happy

Great to meet up and ski with Kitenski yesterday - and hear all about these new fangled shift bindings, versus mine and Mrs MA's old-style frame bindings. Food for thought for the future...

The Spring Run became broken between our morning and afternoon runs today - on the previously very narrow bit before (skier's) left hand turn at the bottom. Nothing that wasn't easily passable though.

Still some great skiing - & 200m vertical available overall.

Laugh of the day: One of my skis taking off and disappearing downhill as I took it off just above the Haggis Trap... Shocked

Thankfully it landed bang in the middle of the Haggis Trap snow bridge - and not down the 2 or 3 metre-drop Bergschrund just to the side. Still, a bit of a vertical (and rather worrying) scramble down and boot pack back out to retrieve it - but all's well that ends well eh?

Here's Kitenski doing his stuff on the Spring Run, plus a few more pics.

latest report
@snowball, I think that’s a still off a GoPro.

@mountainaddict, was looking at the peak webcam and the top was noticeably melting, which isn’t that surprising for the time of year!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy