Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2020/2021 (inc useful info)

Poster: A snowHead
Pierre Grosse was a mistake for more reasons than that, exacerbated by covid now we only have enclosed gondolas to reach the glacier. I'm sure major decisions like that are joint. The link has lots of opposition too, an enquiry was pretty damning. We'll see.

I'm in Lyon for a few days but I understand it's very busy this week, there was certainly plenty of traffic on the way when I left on Saturday. Snow all the way to Lyon too.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got back here on Wednesday after 5 days away, it's pretty busy. As today is gorgeous and it's a bit quieter for changeover day I got the touring skis out. Skinned up to Diable au Coeur at 2400m, 820m of climbing. Quite enjoyed it. Real spring snow conditions on the way down.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks deserted!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It isn't at all quiet tbh. Not as busy as a normal February but busy enough. Was Saturday which is always quieter and not everyone can be arsed to hike up 800m of elevation for one run down.

Hiked up Vallée Blanche today. Loads of people on the lower easier bits but nice and quiet once you get out of the way.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So today is effectively the last day of the season which has never actually started. It has been announced that nothing bar essential avalanche control will be carried out after today. Last day of the french holidays too so it will be very quiet. And of course after 3 weeks without any it's snowing. I haven't actually got any recent photos to post but will do once the weather is better and I can get up the mountain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Claude B, Will the devil carts be out soon?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@russ_e, Devil Carts?

A sprinkling of snow overnight, beautiful day now Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hiked on Vallée Blanche today. First time for just over 2 weeks. Quite shocking how much snow has gone in that time. Due a bit of snow over next few days though, bright but cold today. Much quieter here now, not that many tourists about.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
russ_e wrote:
@Claude B, Will the devil carts be out soon?

I'm sure I can't be the only snowHead who'd like to know what these devil carts are of which you speak. Puzzled The suspense is killing. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are pure madness

http://youtube.com/v/vPkjKDcU6s0
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah no. Still people skiing on there. They won't be on until summer season.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@russ_e, thanks for replying. Smile One question - do they have brakes? Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't remember to be honest. The video isn't mine but I did crash in a race with a load of Norwegians
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think there are. Lots of kids on them, some going very slowly. Dragged up by one of the button lifts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I expect to see a video Claude of you racing one in the summer!
snow report
@russ_e, Shocked Would be a first I've not managed it in 15 years.
snow conditions
Hiked up to the top of Vallée Blanche then back down below resort and back. Snow, ice and mud all encountered. Saw a few people skinning up there, can't imagine their trip back down was very pleasant tbh. Snow should start shortly, due nearly 50cm in resort by end of Monday, first for a month. Photo of me Laughing up top.

snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
Pierre Grosse was a mistake for more reasons than that, exacerbated by covid now we only have enclosed gondolas to reach the glacier.

So true. Have you heard of any arguments in favor of the project? I mean, there must have been some reasons? And major opposition from the freeriding community as well, I suppose?
snow report
I haven't nor have people I know who have much more influence than me. This article in french gives some explanation but also suggests that making Clos de Chalance more accessible was in fact a factor.

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32108

As well as spoiling Clos de Chalance it also spoils what was a lovely open blue run which previously had no chairlifts on it. It's also a very difficult blue as far as the gondola leading to absolute carnage. The top doesn't actually give access to the glacier itself (except by a very convoluted route involving the restaurant pedestrian lift to get to the t bars or the funicular to get up to 3400) unlike the previous chairlift so the choices are a couple of runs down to the signal chair (which is very slow loading) or back down towards Toura. Until about 10 years ago there was actually a chairlift running from the signal red up to the glacier.

Anyway it's done now, too late. 4.30 am here and I've been woken by the wind and snow outside Very Happy
ski holidays
Winter's not finished yet, 36 hours and no sign of it stopping Shocked Due to continue all day and tonight. That will be about 60 hours without stopping Shocked If only Crying or Very sad

snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
I haven't nor have people I know who have much more influence than me. This article in french gives some explanation but also suggests that making Clos de Chalance more accessible was in fact a factor.

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32108

As well as spoiling Clos de Chalance it also spoils what was a lovely open blue run which previously had no chairlifts on it. It's also a very difficult blue as far as the gondola leading to absolute carnage. The top doesn't actually give access to the glacier itself (except by a very convoluted route involving the restaurant pedestrian lift to get to the t bars or the funicular to get up to 3400) unlike the previous chairlift so the choices are a couple of runs down to the signal chair (which is very slow loading) or back down towards Toura. Until about 10 years ago there was actually a chairlift running from the signal red up to the glacier.

Thanks for your reply and, as always, for your great pics which give me so much warm memories. I used to ski there quite a lot, easily more than a hundred days, but haven't been around for a long time. Didn't realize that the TS de Roche Mantel has gone. That's unfortunate. Now they would really need to upgrade Signal which has always been overcrowded.

I already knew the remontées-mecaniques link. What I didn't get is why most people seem pretty much enchanted by the new gondola.
snow conditions
Me neither tbh. Perhaps SATA will have better ideas in the future ie replacement of Jandri.
ski holidays
Finally stopped snowing. Avalanche level 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday. Pisteurs are doing some blasting this morning. But to protect equipment not skiers. However they've issued information warning people to stay away.
ski holidays
First day out since the snow and my vaccine on Monday which floored me for a couple of days, breathing more heavily still than usual while snowshoeing. Lovely though, most of the paths I took were pretty bare last weekend. Not really many people around.

ski holidays
Beautiful sunny but cold day. Fair few people seemed to be arriving today. Now allowed out until 7 pm, nothing open though of course.

ski holidays
It all looks so beautiful ..I can only hope that all the hotels and businesses have survived over the lockdown..how did the ski instructors survive? A friend of mine's daughter lives there and is married to one ...but I will definitely plan for a week there next season ....hopefully
latest report
@DaveD, Most have received payouts from the government so surviving. Brit ski instructors I know are having a great winter, ski touring every day. ESF and ESI are doing quite a lot of snowshoe leading, I see them when I'm out doing the same. Some of the Italians I know picked up some work in Switzerland during peak weeks.
snow conditions
Warmed up a lot today. Even though they said they were stopping they are still doing some pisting. So I skinned up to Crête and skied back down. But not before I'd had a pint and a slab of pizza in the sunshine Very Happy

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You git Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bon appetit Very Happy
snow report
Claude B wrote:
Me neither tbh. Perhaps SATA will have better ideas in the future ie replacement of Jandri.

Can't be worse. I would guess that they not only spoiled Chalance but put a lot of pressure on the Roche Mantel/Combe Interdit run as well. Is it correct that you can now reach the base of Pierre Grosse directly via Arête à Jacotte so that back to back rotations are possible?

I really tried to figure out why they did it. Came up with two possible reasons:
1. Perhaps they wanted the ski area looking more "squared" on the piste map - as opposed to being stretched out.
2. The Clot might less wind prone so only there they could get away with a monocable gondola. The replacement for Jandri will almost certainly be a 3S or a Funitel.
What do you think?
snow report
Gorgeous day again so I dragged my bones up, all the way to Diable au cœur today, 800m+ . Hard work but nice.

ski holidays
@Tristero, I think trying to bring that area more into play was part of the decision making process. Chalance is definitely less wind prone than the route if the 8 man chair. Jandri replacement will have to have at least the same capacity so something along those lines. Taking the route of the old chair is an advantage, slightly lower, it is easier to ski back to.

I'm not familiar with Arête à Jacotte even referring to IGN map. But certainly laps of Chalance, The Pierre Grosse itinerary which is now a black or various pistes are possible. There are a couple of itineraries now pistes from Fee too which are now more attractive.
snow conditions
What is L2D like for boarders? I see a lot of drag lifts, which can be painful if you don't use position the button in the right place quick enough. Im not a fan of being dragged up a sope by the testicles.

looking for an end of season cheapie weekender for next year & its prob. the cheapest place to get to for flights & transfers.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
What is L2D like for boarders? I see a lot of drag lifts, which can be painful if you don't use position the button in the right place quick enough. Im not a fan of being dragged up a sope by the testicles.

looking for an end of season cheapie weekender for next year & its prob. the cheapest place to get to for flights & transfers.

There's a load of buttons at the bottom, but realistically you wouldn't be using them. There's a few surface lifts on the glacier, but you could use the underground funicular instead if you didn't fancy a button/t-bar.

Been a few years since i last went (2013) but I only remember a couple of spots that aren't great on a board, down towards La fée and the run back to Crêtes, called Jandri 2 but you could miss that by dropping down to the Thuit chair and dropping down from there.

Depends what you like in a ski resort, if you like to feel a real sense of travel i.e around the Portes du Soleil or 3V's then you won't find the same feeling at LDA, but you will find a snowsure resort for the end of year, plus a village which in ordinary times has a decent aprés scene and on your lift pass, the chance to get a bus over to L'Alpe D'Huez for a day if you fancy a change.
ski holidays
Very snow sure late season. High and largely north facing. There aren't actually that many drags bar beginner slopes at the bottom and those on the glacier. Just one in fact in the park. 2 flats highlighted above. A few more links too but these can generally be avoided.
snow report
@swskier,

thanks - its the T bars at the top that made me pull a face.
We just looking for a normal village. 1/2 day ski, 1/2 day enjoying the town's other offerings.
ski holidays
Very little other than tbars on glaciers anywhere. Because glaciers move they're the only uplift possible. Funicular here is an alternative and there's loads of other skiing between 2000 and 3200m without venturing that high.
snow conditions
Sorry another couple of pictures of me having fun Toofy Grin Skinned up with a couple of mates to Diable au Coeur about 850m of vertical but by the much longer, scenic route. Beautiful warm, sunny day. Getting very thin in places, had to take the skis off twice, probably won't be possible much longer unless it dumps again. Then skied down to Crete for a beer and our picnics before skiing back down.

snow report
Beautiful day so 3 of us skinned up to Toura at 2600m after 1000m of climbing. In fact the other 2 went a bit further but I was suffering with a blister so met them further down. Gorgeous warm sunny day. In fact they're still doing a lot of pisting here. If you could get up to 3400m you could actually ski all the way back to resort on groomed pistes. A couple of beers on the way down really hit the spot.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy