Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruk - easy ski resorts nearby

Poster: A snowHead
Are there any resorts that are either close by to innsbruk or with easy transport links between the two? Preferably with lots of nice blues. And good snow in January. Apres ski provisions not needed. Not much to ask is it Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bambionskiis, How easy do the transport links need to be? Train or car?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Khutai or such similar spelling - love it
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah sorry yes I meant public transport; shuttle bus maybe or taxi if necessary. we wouldn’t be driving.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 11-09-20 11:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think Khutai was on The Jump wasn’t it. I’ll have a look Ta.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bambionskiis, You might want to look at Seefeld, not so much skiing but relatively easy on the train from Innsbruck. Nearer to Innsbruck is either Schlick 2000 or Axamer Lizum (I think there are shuttles from Innsbruck to both). None of these places are huge but good for a day trip. Further afield the Zillertal is easy to get to on the train, Kaltenbach best for a day trip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Munich. I realise I haven’t given enough detail, in that I wasn’t planning on staying in innsbruk but flying into there. I was just thinking of easy access to resort from airport. Sorry.
I’ve heard of seefeld so will have a look at that though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bambionskiis wrote:
no idea, but I used to do regular long weekends from Bristol and would book a transfer that was typically a VW Transporter for our group from the airport that took 30 mins to get up to the resort.

Did the small resorts like Schlick but they are really half day type slopes, Stubai is at the end of a long road and a bit like a day trip to get to it on the bus ... Khutai is a lovely small resort at 2000m that is as good as it gets imho, loved it
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kaltenbach, just over an hour by train (main Innsbruck station) , including one change onto the smaller valley railway. Train station is then about 300m walk to the gondola.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
St Anton is a pleasant train ride from Innsbruck with the train station in the middle of town
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rayscoops, not so good for blue slopes though Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for Seefeld. Nice town generally.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Really great suggestions thanks. I hadn’t heard of kaltenbach before.

In a perfect world when would be the best month to visit, do you guys think? We can go when we want (not tied to half term now). We had thought January originally but we could do later.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bambionskiis, outside of the local or nearby country holidays - some weeks in Khutai are booked up a year in advance
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kirchberg?
snow report
@bambionskiis, 3rd week of January will be nice and quiet I would think.
latest report
Rayscoop crikey that’s worth knowing then!

Mr egg - will take a look thanks

Bennyboy - That’s Actually my preferred week. Wasn’t sure whether early March for example would be a bit more pleasant but I’m guessing things will be more expensive. Hmm.
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
bambionskiis wrote:
no idea, but I used to do regular long weekends from Bristol and would book a transfer that was typically a VW Transporter for our group from the airport that took 30 mins to get up to the resort.

Did the small resorts like Schlick but they are really half day type slopes, Stubai is at the end of a long road and a bit like a day trip to get to it on the bus ... Khutai is a lovely small resort at 2000m that is as good as it gets imho, loved it

It's Kühtai (and Innsbruck with a c), but yes it was where The Jump was filmed - and the drive from Innsbruck is only 5 mins or so shorter than to Stubai (bus to Stubai can be a schlepp though; I've never taken to bus to Kühtai).

However if bambionskiis just wants somewhere with an easy transfer from Innsbruck, s/he will need to give some more info as that includes several hundred resorts! Arlberg, Kitzbühel, Serfaus, Zillertal... etc.
snow conditions
Zell am Ziller is worth considering, as are the other villages along the valley towards Gerlos. Wide open slopes and lots of nice blue runs as well as some easy reds, plus lots more options. Zell is on the Zillertalbahn, so an easy train journey from Innsbruck, and you also have the option of trying the other Zillertal areas such as Hochfugen, Mayrhofen and of course Hintertux. Conditions in mid-late January should be good, and most places will be fairly quiet.
snow report
Obergurgl will fit the bill. The resort sounds perfect for your skiing requirements and there are many threads on here stating that it is quite easily accessed by public transport. It’s a bit pricey though!
snow report
@Eggfried, Obergurgl is great but it was bit of a slog to get there under public transport when I did it ages ago
latest report
Seefeld is a very easy transfer on the train or not expensive in a taxi (60 euro rings a bell). Good for beginners and non skiers but not great if you ski well. Also excellent for cross country, good swimming pool etc etc.

Speaking of filming, Eddie the Eagle was being shot the last time I was there, so if you fancy a jump...

If you can get a bus from Innsbruck to Kühtai shirley it would take hours Puzzled
snow conditions
Surprised nobody's mentioned Axamer Lizum. 19km on a free ski bus from Innsbruck and a great little area for beginners.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
@Eggfried, Obergurgl is great but it was bit of a slog to get there under public transport when I did it ages ago

It's a slog even in a car tbh, a good 1.5 hours.
snow report
musher wrote:
If you can get a bus from Innsbruck to Kühtai shirley it would take hours Puzzled

45min IIRC. That one's pretty straightforward – direct from the Hauptbahnhof.
snow conditions
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
Surprised nobody's mentioned Axamer Lizum. 19km on a free ski bus from Innsbruck and a great little area for beginners.

Think Schlik would be more suitable for blues?

There are tons of options within an hour or so, with good public transport links.
ski holidays
Thanks very much all for your suggestions - really helpful. Just got to keep an eye on what’s happening quarentine-wise now.
ski holidays
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:

Im sure munich_irish did earlier!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jafa, Very Happy
snow report
buses daily from Innsbruck to Schlick, Axamer, Kuhati, Stubai & 1 or 2 others.

Otherwise you can a train West or East
West - Landek in less than an hour & then onto Serfaus - or St Anton in just over an hour.
Go East & from Landek you can head down Ziller or keep going East to Kitzbuhel which is also just over an hour, with Brixen & Westendorf on the way.

Guess a lot depends on if you are basing yourself in Innsbruck, or plan to stay in a resort & how long for.
ski holidays
+1 for Kuhtai. Went there with the kids for a 4-day trip a few years back. High (2000m?), reasonably large area. Kids enjoyed the night skiing. Good touring options if you want them.
latest report
bambionskiis wrote:
Are there any resorts that are either close by to innsbruk or with easy transport links between the two? Preferably with lots of nice blues. And good snow in January. Apres ski provisions not needed. Not much to ask is it Very Happy

Quite a handy map here showing resorts you can reach by train. www.2thealps.com/skiing-by-train-maps_copy.htm
My favourites close to IBK are probably Schlick, Axamer and Steinach.
Some great ones just across the Italian border, too, including several on the train line between Fortezza and Lienz (Versciaco is a beauty).
snow conditions
Serfaus and alpbach would be my recommendations. Both close to Innsbruck.
ski holidays
You can get a train to Kitzbuehel, with one change. You might be able to do some of the Ski Welt resorts too.
latest report
There are reports that Axamer Lizum are requesting an exemption for having to open this winter. Anyone heard anything on this or other resorts not opening
snow report
@PORTMAN, There's a bit of info on the Austrian travel thread, but TBH nobody knows what's going to happen, and the next meeting about it is on Friday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy