Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc - 20/21

Poster: A snowHead
Lovely in the Summer. I walked up there a few times in the winter with the dog over the years. Each time I think: "I'll bring my board next time Smile "
Weather's a bit pants at the moment ( heavy snow, no visibility), but it's due to snow a bit more this week, so I'm thinking maybe Saturday. I don't plan going all the way up to the really steep rocky bits, but just up to where the grassy part ends, and come down the Col du Plan Champ.
Also Mrs WoC went over to Morgins today "for exercise", no border guards. Col Du Corbier and Pas de Morgins pretty well cleared of snow. The snow went down to halfway between Troistorrents and Monthey (probably 650m).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see Chatel has made the front page of the BBC News Smile
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55157175
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I noticed the Chatel road up from Thonon is closed this morning at the roundabout. Black tape across all of the Chatel signposts.

Will be struck off the map soon
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anyone know if the local ski clubs will be running training and allowed to use the lifts before January?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@polo, The road closes every Autumn while they empty all the rocks from the landslide cages, and patch up bits of the road that have fallen into the ravine, so I'm not sure it's Covd related. It's still accessible via the Plateau de Gavot or the Col Du Corbier ( and the Pas de Morgins ).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@doddsie, no news from ESF, assume no, end result is I don’t have a ski pass for my ski fanatic kid, and too late for discounts

@WindOfChange, I drive that road a lot and it’s often closed in autumn as you say, but it wasn’t closed last week, probably an amusing coincidence, but I’m all for Chatel joining Switzerland, you know, give it more purpose.

(Tried to do a smiley face but rest of message gets erased)

Snow was surprisingly hard going today. 10cm of fluff on the frozen base was a lot less forgiving than soft grass underneath
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polo wrote:

(Tried to do a smiley face but rest of message gets erased)

You have to use the Snowheads emojis! @admin doesn’t like the those iPhone imposters!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very Happy Ahhh that’s better, and it’s still dribbling snow
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@doddsie, apparently, kids clubs running in Chamonix, no idea if just for local school kids or not.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@doddsie, apparently, kids clubs running in Chamonix, no idea if just for local school kids or not.
Vallées ski clubs (clubs from towns with no lifts, which have to commute for training on Wednesday afternoons) will start the season with a disadvantage Sad

For instance our son's club trains in Mont Chery (LG) but no news so far.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Webcam showing the Yeti in Les Gets shows some slalom poles being set up.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowed down to below 400m at Lac Leman yesterday. Never seen so many abandoned cars on the drive up from Thonon, easily 10+ cars stranded from yesterday, including one in the middle of the road on a tight blind corner, did leave his hazard lights on at least.

Here's an idea of snow depth at village 1200m. There were 20-30 people out skiing touring on both sides of the valley, including an ESF instructor and an ESI instructor, so everyone acting like touring is allowed.

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just went up to Chavannes / La Croix, probably odd to keep skiing the same piste over and over, so this is the last one from here

http://youtube.com/v/EAuiC9vakX0

Oh and I found this track called Sunrise on Spotify, by someone called Incredible Polo, nice ring to it

You can see a lot of the early piste security has been done, setting up crash barriers etc
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doddsie wrote:
Does anyone know if the local ski clubs will be running training and allowed to use the lifts before January?

Spotted this message from the FFS with conditions for clubs, looks to me like valley clubs will be able to train too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@polo, touring is allowed.
latest report
@under a new name, ok good to know, Would have saved me some time and base repairs as I was scratching around out of sight in recent weeks.

Conditions are very good here at the moment as I tried to illustrate. Amazed to see Cham didn’t get much this time, as it’s basically around the corner....looked like a very widespread snowfall coming in, and Cham meteo were suggesting 20-30cm, so it must be a pretty freakish outcome.
snow conditions
@polo, I don't know how freakish. I often see Morzine getting more snow than we do, but over a season obviously, CHX does better. There's a degree of confirmation bias in there of course.
snow report
@under a new name, well Cham resort has almost twice the altitude, but if you compare like for like, with both villages at 1000m approx. , do you think there's much in it?
snow conditions
@polo, I was specifically referring to village level. I think it's my memory at work. Confirmation bias. There are definitely reasonably frequent occasions when Morzine gets more snow at 1,000m
latest report
Chamonix averages 10-20% more snow than Morzine at resort level.
snow conditions
Doesn’t Morzine (or at least Avoriaz) get the most snow statistically of resorts in this area due to its positioning between the various masifs?
snow report
@BobinCH, urban myth I reckon.
snow conditions
Avoriaz / Chatel are often the snowiest in France by virtue of being sandwiched between moisture feeding Lake Geneva and Mont Blanc. The flip side is we also get rain when temps are warmer.
ski holidays
@under a new name, not according to the annual report by weathertoski.com (and this from a guy who seems to pick out Morzine a lot whenever rain is mentioned in the NW alps).

"With a seasonal snowfall average of nearly 8m, Avoriaz is comfortably the snowiest ski resort in France. At resort level nowhere else even comes close."

https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-snowiest-ski-resorts-europe/

I'm not sure how that works vs Cham if Morzine often gets more snow as you say, but not overall for the season....I'm not aware of any massive dumps that only Chamonix gets......but if Whitegold says it then I believe it.
Now even if you can believe the various measurements, it's probably still misleading to consider Avoriaz the snowiest "resort"....it may well be the snowiest resort village though.

So Avoriaz is possibly snowiest place in France at 1800m......but do other resorts use the same methods to provide measurements at 1800m too?......arghhhhhh, oh look it's snowing again
latest report
A lot of willy waving going on. All I care about is I’ve been touring all weekend and @under a new name,
hasn’t been able to, due to lack of snow Very Happy

Many of the lower pistes in the Morzine and Nyon areas have had the snow making going and are now bashed resulting in surprisingly good cover for the time of year. On the uncannoned slopes I’d estimate 40cm has fallen. The snow yesterday was pretty light so it was easy to break through to the bottom on the steeper slopes if one was being a bit heavy footed.

It’s snowing again as I type but I suspect it will be short lived.
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
A lot of willy waving going on. All I care about is I’ve been touring all weekend and @under a new name,
hasn’t been able to, due to lack of snow Very Happy
Harsh, but fair Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
Yeah there’s no need to rub it in, others may get offended, so I’ll do my willy waving out on the slopes.
“GoPro stop recording”
snow report
Sounds a bit chilly..... Skullie
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing @shep,
latest report
Against my better instincts I went ski touring for the first time this weekend on Mt Drouzin.
Normally I snow shoe up and snowboard down, but somebody kindly lent me a spare set of kit.
The boots were 2 sizes too big, but a couple of pairs of socks sorted that.
All went swimmingly on the way up, but in the midst of all the faffing when transitioning from uphill to down hill mode, I thought I had done all the necessary steps.
Unclip, un-skin, turn heels round, tighten boots, clip front in again, lock in back binding, stomp a bit to make sure it's on.
We set off, beautiful deep snow, nice steep-ish pitch. I was trying to lift the tips a bit as the snow was deep, and woosh I got spat out the back door straight away.
Ok so I only ski 1 day a year, this are not my skis or boots (which don't fit), and I haven't skied pow for a few years (always board), but even allowing for this, it just felt bad as soon as I tried to lift the tips.
To the great credit of those who taught me to ski many years ago, who made us do drills of skiing down with our boots undone, I soon found a point of balance where I would not sink too much, but I could also turn ok, but it was way harder than I ever remember powder skiing, as I kept feeling like I would get spat out the back the whole time.
Only when I got to the bottom, and was loosening my boots off again, did I remember that there was this big-ass clip on the back of the boots that you're supposed to clip in to put the boots into ski-mode, as it provides stability and resistance on the back of the boots Smile Smile
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, too funny. Thats a thing with rando, there's quite a lot to remember! I am only just getting into it and one morning last year I was thinking to myself, "jeepers, this is unusually hard work" when I noticed I was still fully in downhill mode ... Embarassed
latest report
@WindOfChange, So can I assume you will be on skis next time we meet?
ski holidays
@woc, lesson learned, one plank, or two that become one, step in, slide down. I thought I was getting better at all the transition stuff until today when I managed to put the skins on facing backwards, ie no grip.

@shep, yes chilly, -9c tomorrow morning in town, but sometimes nature calls (made sure I was facing south)

Lunch time wander up to Ranfoilly today, still snowing

snow conditions
Wow, looks like that would have been worth the walk!
snow report
Yep but I think it’s always worth the walk. Today was different, nobody else in sight, cold and snowing lightly.

The pistes are all semi bashed, like a rough coat of cement, but covered in enough fresh snow not to rattle hard. I stuck to the softer sides and known snowy tracks.

But there’s a good reason I don’t go there often, 3 times the hike for not much more downhill than the easy blue on Chavannes.

Here’s another view from the eh viewing gallery at 1500m heading into the bowl

latest report
Mont Cherry on top

latest report
I just had an email from Les Gets lift pass office saying Verbier will not be accepting PdS season pass vouchers at least until after 11/1. I wondered if it was going to go on to say they are switching off PdS passes bought on the french side until french lifts open, but they haven't yet - perhaps they legally can't?
snow conditions
@shep, they've turned off the reciprocal Chamonix passes as well, from what I hear it's just so busy over there, queueing out of control and C-19 rising again. Nothing to stop you going over and buying a pass however.
ski holidays
@under a new name, See you there? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@shep, earning my turns these days,

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy