Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - Avoriaz/Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel/Swiss Side etc - 20/21

Poster: A snowHead
@polo, yep I was there but I left the Pointe about midday.
Yep, the easiest route in is to drive to Les Onchets, above Saint Jean d'Aulps. Park where the road ends.
I was a little disappointed by the snow depth lower down, lots of transportation with the wind. Still a nice ski though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@zzz, thx, must have just missed you as we headed down about 1230. We did see some fresh ski tracks from the pointe direction that headed left into the forest, so we followed those as we had no idea where the best way down was.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, saw that from your vid, those were our tracks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can anyone confirm how much fresh snow fell yesterday? Chatelweb say only a dusting there, but LG webcams look like a good few cm's fell, as the last time I checked on monday there were lot's of ski tracks and now everything looks clean again and still snowing lightly.

I'm hoping to get up thurs-sat if anyone fancies a hike. Planning to try from below Mont Caly area and head up the SW side of Mont Chery

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@polo, think only a dusting in Chatel looking at the snow at our balcony cam at 1270m.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ok, probably only a few cm's fresh, but the Ranfoilly cam currently has 4 bashers out, although it's all a bit Salvador Dali

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A mate in Morgins a few days ago....edit that's actually his son, growing fast

And a vid from the Morgins resort page made on 29th Dec when they stopped limiting lift passes

http://youtube.com/v/6ZxY4x-gqMg
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Tunnel in the Col is open again this weekend

This was taken about 5 mins ago Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh do stop it guys!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
polo wrote:
Can anyone confirm how much fresh snow fell yesterday?
[...]
I'm hoping to get up thurs-sat if anyone fancies a hike. Planning to try from below Mont Caly area and head up the SW side of Mont Chery
I'll ask my son this evening, as he was in Perrières Wednesday afternoon.

We do Caly-Chery in summer with young kids, it's a lovely family hike!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One for the locals.

Where does this property look like it is?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/94898087?currencyCode=GBP#/

It says Le Biot, but is that actually Col du Corbier?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Definitely the Col.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, yes agree it is the Col. I would be concerned with those big blocks in Col du Corbier by what the maintenance annual charges etc might be. But I am no longer in the area and I am sure others close by can advise on that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, very similar to one we sold at Linga (Chatel) last autumn (well they are all pretty much the same aren't they) but approx. half the price.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Col du Corbier is a great location giving access to both valleys and looks great in summer - it’s slowly coming back to life with the new cafe/restaurant and now the magic carpet and they are also promoting CX skiing. Not ideal if you are a road cyclist as you have the choice or either a 7km or 5km > 7% average climbs to get home.
latest report
What route from that property to Basel-Mulhouse airport is only 99.5 miles ?
latest report
From the local agents site: https://www.immobilierbaud-morzine.com/vente-achat/appartement-le-biot-74430/1107.htm

Charges E793 per year.

I was up and over the Col by bike in the summer, hard work!
snow report
@WindOfChange, @Pamski, @DJL, thanks all, thought as much.

Wouldn't really want to buy up there, if it was in Le Biot would be more inclined. As it is, can't afford anything really atm, but could have afforded that. We will wait until we're in a position to buy where we actually want rather than getting something for the sake of it.
latest report
I’d never been to the Col before, thought it was a nice spot and well located.

Did a quick hike up to Pleney from Foilets

Icy on the bashed touring tracks but elsewhere still fluffy on the north side.

Someone dropped a bauble

Is that a bear climbing the tree in the garden?

View towards Nyon / vallee de la manche

snow conditions
Can see 5 or 6 groups heading up Mont Chery this morning.

One bloke / wally at the bottom has had to walk back down with his skis over his shoulder

And the buses are still running around, mostly empty

snow report
Last week buses were dropping skiers with *alpine* bindings in Chavannes Sad
ski holidays
A bit late, but my son said he had fresh snow during his Wednesday training (in Perrières). Back at it this weekend.
latest report
Drove past the Perrieres training this morning on the way to Mont Caly area

...snow is still really good, felt even more powdery on the SE slopes compared to yesterday, you know it's good when there's nothing stuck to the board after a slide, easy clean.

Towards Praz de Lys

latest report
Tried filming Mrs WoC today just holding my iPhone.
I have never filmed while boarding before.
The reason the vid starts halfway down, is that while filming from the top I learnt the first rule of skiing while filming - watch where you're going !!
While focussing my attention on keeping Mrs WoC in shot I, boarded into a massive snow bank Smile
Anyway, the bottom of the Muret is still in good nick.

http://mountain-spirit.com/vids/PowOnTheCol.mp4
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, not easy to get close enough with a camera on a pole, nevermind a phone.....yours turned out well though, nice looking slope
snow report
Amazing afternoon on the not so empty LG slopes. Besides kids training there are walkers, sledges, electric mountain bikes. A bit higher towards Nauchets and Tete de Vuargne (next to the too of Ranfoilly) it was tourers, people in snowshoes and trailers. Everybody out to enjoy the sun (and the views), without lifts like in summer.

All great until I had to head to Pierrières via a frozen bowl - never put the skins back so fast.

Side note: the coffee up Charniaz was open. No food, but beer/coffee. I had a vin chaud.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, great conditions and filming. Never seen snow like that on Corbier. How far up did you have to walk and how far down is the hairpin?
snow report
It's about a 4 minute walk up a gentle path, that then opens up on the Muret.
It's about 650m straight line, but obvs a bit further when you ride it.
We leave a car on the hairpin, and are back up in 5 mins.

Interestingly Mint Snowboarding did beginner classes on the magic carpet and slope yesterday, and to be fair, it's great that people are actually using the facility.
It's just a pity it took a global pandemic, and the public being excluded from pistes and lifts elsewhere to make it popular here Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@WindOfChange, I recall a drag lift that started from the hairpin up the piste. Never saw it running as there was never enough snow.
latest report
@BergenBergen, There's loads now Smile
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, you lucky sod - make the most of your private lift Smile. Do you think it would be viable to put in a drag lift or two in the future - would artificial snow hold up on the Abondance side which I think is nth facing? These was talk of linking it till the Abordance ski area.
latest report
When driving or cycling up I’ve often thought that stretch to the hairpin would be a great run and I recall when the lifts were there. It’s a regret that I never allocated half a day to lift served skiing there when I had the chance.

As you say @Ozboy, @WindOfChange is a lucky boy.
ski holidays
You can get down to Abondance from the top of CdC, but you would need a lift to get back (my Dad walked up and over when he was in his mid 70s).
Before the tunnel / carpet there were 3 drags, 2 chairs and 2 rope tows, and about a dozen runs, one of which was above Abondance.
But it made losses in the last 4 years before it closed, because everybody who stayed / lived here chose to ski in PdS instead (as its so convenient). The Mairie published figures one year and they estimated 7,000 holiday nights spent in the Col one Winter, they only sold something like 6 season passes and fewer than 100 day tickets.
With the uncertainty of future snow seasons, there is little appetite for further investment in lifts.
It is now designated a Low Altitude resort, and is focussing on non-lift served activities.
Rando, Raquettes, XC, Dog sleds, ski joering(behind a horse), biathlon, fat bikes and the nursery carpet for sledging as well.
The XC trail is short (2KM) but certainly not for beginners as there's a pretty steep downhill involved Smile
The last few weekends have been pretty busy up here.

The Resto has been shut because of Covid, and the previous tenants have moved out.
The Mairie is auctioning the fonds de commerce this week (estimated price 40k, because of Covid uncertainty).
The rent is pretty cheap at 1400 per month.
Whoever takes this on will be getting a complete bargain, as it was built with 1.5m of state money.
The added incentive is that if Resto are ok to open this summer, Morzine Harley days is scheduled for this summer, and the Col is one of their favourite daily rides, so the opportunity exists to get the business off to a flyer, but you'd be tempering this with the uncertainty of France being open again this summer.
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
There's loads now Smile

You ain't seen nothing yet Toofy Grin, nice easy route by the way. The old 2 car shuffle has been tried on Chavannes too, quite a lot of back and forth if you do more than one run....you drop one car at the exit, drive back up, ski down, then drive back in car2 to car1.....both drive down to drop off car2 again and drive back car1 to the start?

Freeze level is going to rise from zero (sea level), up to about 1300m on average, then back towards zero. So a little rain at 1100-1200m during the peak of the storm wednesday into thurs.
But am expecting 50-70cm above 1300m by the weekend and the models continue to suggest another big storm will roll in same time next week.

It was very busy indeed on saturday morning before I bailed out.....saw a mountain biker coming down the piste on the front of Mont Chery......not far from colliding into a group of tourers heading up.
Amazing that so many people head to the same spots, I guess they prefer the safety and ease of bashed pistes / and numbers.

Good to hear more places are serving take-away though...I presume it's only on weekends.
snow report
@WindOfChange.... Jealous! If the skiing to the bottom of Le Muret is good we are definitely missing out on some nice snow!

Despite the best of intentions and plans it looks like this year won't happen for us - will be a winter of mountain biking on smaller hills at home. Hope you guys are all well!
snow report
@pdsguy, Stay safe, and hope your folks are doing well.
snow report
@WindOfChange, do you have one of the apartments at CdC? We spent a fun evening there about four years ago, in the summer I think, in a tent with Joe Beer, guitar and vocals together with Mrs Jaz Lamb, violin.
Food, beer and wine and nice sociable people.
snow report
@Pamski, We live in one of the Chalets.
I was at the same soiree (Louise is very good on the fiddle) great evening.
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, a couple we met - from Devon I think - were amazed that I had seen the Beatles live - there you go, really showing my age! But still skiing - when able to. And yes Louise is, thank you for reminding me of her name, I could only recall the daughter’s name. We used to see them over here sometimes when Jaz was involved with sailing.
ski holidays
Seems like word is spreading that the Col is Open.
BASS were up here this morning.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy