Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2020/21

Poster: A snowHead
I've just had an email through from CdMB with details of next season's (2020/21) pass prices.

Headline is that as indicated on here a couple of months back, if you took the COVID deal it's about €100 per person cheaper, and you get an extra free day pass (i.e. you now get 2 free day passes vs 1 last year). I tend to get about €50/day for the day tickets on resale to friends (vs €67 headline value).

Email says:
"The "Private Club MBU year" rate should have been offered for winter 2020-2021 at
€ 878.00 for an adult,
€ 1,668.20 for a couple &
€ 746.00 for a young person.

The special COVID-19 "Club Privé 2020-21" purchase renewal option allows you to benefit from an annual MBU rate lower than the purchase price charged for the past two years. By choosing this option, the rates applied are as follows:
MONT-BLANC Unlimited Annual
Adult (26 years old & +) € 753.00
Couple (2 adults) € 715.35 x 2 = € 1,430.70
Youth (5 - 25 years old) € 640.05
This offer is supplemented with two free days “Compagnie du Mont Blanc valley of Chamonix” per ticket (at place of only one in 2019) that you can offer to the people of your choice, i.e. an additional gain of € 67.00 per ticket."

Email also says probably no QC Therme Spa ticket this year - I didn't use the previous 2 years, tho' I probably would have gone at Easter if we'd been out. That's about a €15 loss if you did use it and would have otherwise paid.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @snowdave, I hadn't been keeping up with emails for a few days.

It is a good price, and I did opt for the cheaper pass option rather than refund - but I'm still not sure what I'll be able to do this coming winter, and if I'll be able to make use of an annual pass...

If there's a quarantine, then I'll barely be able to go. If there's not, and work remains flexible, I could be there a lot. But it's far too early to tell - and I'm not sure I'll know by the start of October either Puzzled Some flexibility from them on when we could actually take them up on the offer would be great, but of course that's not like CdMB NehNeh
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fixx, I'm right there with you on that dilemma. I opted for the discount, but now I'm thinking can I commit €2k+ on ski passes for the three of us without knowing if FCO advice will let me go.

The resort may be open, with therefore no refund, but if I'm stuck in UK as FCO advice means no insurance (or quarantine messes with school for my daughter ) then what?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've booked 24 flights for next season (assume a family of 4 is 8 flights) & it only cost me £600, the cost savings made that worth it, but the cost savings on possible losing £2k on lift passes does not make it worth while for me. Also I see the resorts remaining open, the French will go as thee is no internal controls for them but if the UK still has the quarantine & UK folks don't go because of that, the resorts won't see that as their problem & no refund would be coming
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yup, I'm in a similar position wondering if I should actually have taken the refund, and whether I want to commit 2 adults, 2 kids, so close to £2.5k.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowdave, I'm thinking (though I haven't tested the hypothesis) that the refund is a stat entitlement, so if I called up now and said "don't want the discount, I am now opting for the refund" they may have to oblige. BUT, it's CdMB (not to mention France), so even IF I'm right it may not be easy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@midgetbiker, please try, and let us know how it goes Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://www.chamonix.net/english/news/chamonix-renovation-charamillon-validated?fbclid=IwAR2Rm2otaz3t73OseYSfXPlyRAKshYfVBHgjzX4PIF6otsAqJP6f9V6SIIw

They’ve got the green light for the new Le Tour lift. Open for 2022 season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jbob, yay, finally! Might be able to ski by 2022 again as well Happy

Any idea what the final plan was? i.e. was it 2-stages going all the way to the col/tete de balme?

Hopefully it will also delay the day when CdMB rebuilds the top GM lift and ruins my daily exercise Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 4-09-20 19:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.chamonix.net/english/news/chamonix-new-charamillon-gondola-be-completed-end-2022

Has some detail. The main point of contention was the site of the bottom station which will now stay where it is. Looks like it will go to the same place as now.

Top ticket GM is a real can of worms I don’t expect it any time soon.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the info. I'm not skied in Chamonix regularly before but am thinking of basing myself there and taking the MBU season pass this year. Am I right in following from above that this is a restricted deal to those of you who had season passes last year, the €878? Is there any way for me to access that price otherwise?

Thanks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jackus, the marketing for "The "Private Club MBU year" early bird rate states that you had to be a previous holder, but I have heard that this isn't a legally enforceable and if you argue hard enough, you can get it.

But that probably means being in Cham during the early bird week (Oct 1 - 9) and presenting yourself at the Montenvers cash desk, probably more than once.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@jackus, the marketing for "The "Private Club MBU year" early bird rate states that you had to be a previous holder, but I have heard that this isn't a legally enforceable and if you argue hard enough, you can get it.

But that probably means being in Cham during the early bird week (Oct 1 - 9) and presenting yourself at the Montenvers cash desk, probably more than once.

Thanks - that’s very interesting - I’m actually living in Annecy until mid-October so it’s certainly possible to present myself at the cash desk (though ideally it would only be once!). I’ll do a little more research to see if there’s anyone else with success doing this and consider giving it a go!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jackus, the back story I heard was that it infringes those pesky EU anti-discrimination rules ...
latest report
@under a new name, @jackus, don't see how it infringes the laws, it's a repeat customer discount not geographically based. When it was based on your residce or residence secondaire card then sure it was 'discriminatory', so that's why it changed. Additionally this year to get it you are supposed to be repeat customer and have rejected all other forms of 19/20 closure compensation.

But it can't hurt to try I guess. Suspect it's urban myth though.

Frustrating for @jackus that they want to access and probably can't, whilst there's a few of us on here who can access but are umming and ahhing about whether we should.
snow report
@midgetbiker, ah, yes, good point. Seems reasonable.
snow conditions
@under a new name, @jackus, should still be an early bird price though, open to all. Not sure when it usually runs, but something like mid Oct to mid Nov.
snow report
@midgetbiker, I thought the pricing @jackus, was referring to was the "ordinary" earlybird price,

""The "Private Club MBU year" rate should have been offered for winter 2020-2021 at
€ 878.00 for an adult,
€ 1,668.20 for a couple &
€ 746.00 for a young person."

but I think you're right that you have to have bought an MBUA in one of the 3 prior years anyway ...
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, thanks for the background and agree, it seems within their rights to offer a repeat customer discount so perhaps the discriminatory comments are from an earlier geographical discount.

@under a new name, I read that quote as: "the normal repeat customer discount would be €878" i.e. I would not be eligible for this price. I suppose the non-repeat customer early bird price will be something > €878...
snow report
@jackus, indeed. afraid I never really pay much attention to it. iirc, there's usually a second period of discounts for "new" customers... sign up for CdMB newsletter maybe although it does usually get posted here.

There may be more info on last year's or prior threads.
snow conditions
My refund from 2019/20 has just arrived in my bank account.
snow report
I’m in two minds about buying the lift pass this season. I have the horrible feeling that the lifts will be open and I won’t be able to get there because of uk travel restrictions or not being insured. However with everything crossed and I can travel and get valid insurance, I don’t want to have pay the full season price in December. I think I will take 750ish gamble.

Anyone know of any insurance that would be valid when Uk FCO says only essential travel to France?
latest report
@chrise1967, depending on how many days you expect to be here, you could go down the "rapid card" route ... not as cheap as an early bird season but rather less risky
snow conditions
CdMB just released proposed opening dates, PDF links here https://cmb.eliberty-insight.com/campaign/email/en/mirror/YToyOntzOjE1OiJlbWFpbENhbXBhaWduSWQiO2k6MjY2O3M6ODoiZW50aXR5SWQiO2k6NDA4MDY2O30=?pk_campaign_email=266&pk_campaign=24&_oid=327898&utm_campaign=Communiqu%C3%A9%2017%2F9%2F2020%20dates%20et%20horaires%20H20-21&utm_source=CRM&utm_medium=email%20campagne

Les Houches suitably over-optimistic rolling eyes
snow conditions
@under a new name, thanks, that's brilliant, Les Houches will be open 11 days before GM Happy

I'm also amused by the description of the Le Tour gondola service as "continuous". It's never been more than "intermittent" in a decade.
ski holidays
@snowdave, quite!
latest report
@under a new name, interesting! And yep, rather optimistic in certain areas Laughing

I might pop out in early Dec to retrieve my abandoned gear, and get a quick ski in - quarantine allowing NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fixx, at some point I’ll be in Chamonix in my car. If you’re stuck i can rescue your stuff. I live in Birmingham.
snow conditions
That might be really helpful, thanks @jbob! No rush, and not essential to get it back. I have my skis and jacket here - just not boots or ski pants (or waxing gear...) Laughing
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
@midgetbiker, please try, and let us know how it goes Happy

OK, finally got round to it today and rang. Initial message on the line suggested I'ld be waiting 15mins plus (getting bloody used to that) but then 2mins in and a lady picked up.

Spoke to her and she was very 'yes of course you can' (get the refund instead of SuperPromo that is), just write to: dedo-covid-19@compagniedumontblanc.fr

So I did, forwarding my original proof of purchase email from Oct'19 and details of my French bank account (despite paying originally on two different credit cards, which is another story).

So we'll see.................
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, great, thanks for that! I'll give it a go as well.
snow conditions
Thanks @midgetbiker. I'll have a think what to do...
ski holidays
Despite getting my refund I’ve had an email for club privie! The offer was an unlimited annual pass not season for 860 if I buy it in Oct. I’m unlikely to use it that much so I’ll get a rapid card.
ski holidays
@jbob, I was thinking of the Rapid card too for this winter.

Interesting you got the email - I wonder if it was based on previous years i.e. not just last year. I recall that you were eligible last year for club privee if you had an annual or season pass in any of the previous 3 years.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 28-09-20 21:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, when I applied for my refund all the proof I sent wasn’t enough, they wanted possession of the physical passes which I had to post to them.
ski holidays
@jbob, @fixx, @snowdave, had an email back confirming good to get refund
BUT
as @jbob has said they need the passes back. Not a big issue as I have them here in UK.

No idea why they would need them, except, to access Club Prive you need to renew an existing card, so if you've sent in your physical card then you can't access.

But the whole point is I'm not prepared to spend £2k on passes in Oct with no idea if travel to France is a possibility, so refund it is.

As @fixx said in an earlier thread it seems a bit mealy mouthed.

Once the passes are gone can we access Club Privee in 21/22? Previously to get Club Privee you only had to be a returning customer from one of the last three years.

If I send in my passes do I get my €9 back? If you did it earlier than this then you could pick up a summer pass from Montenver, will I get one of those to cover the next 2 months?

In fact that's my plan (formulated as I type): Send in the annuals I have here, ask for replacements to cover me until 30th Nov, then send a friend to collect them from Montenver.

Don't need those passes as my regular Oct half term trip is a no no, but then at least I have passes with web renewal codes on in case I need them to get future Club Promo.
snow conditions
I was planning to renew my annual pass next week however with the current restrictions I am very apprehensive.

I have emailed info@montblancnaturalresort.com and asked if I renew and decided to cancel before December will I get a full refund. I think the answer will be no however the more people who ask a similar question they might consider.

Therefore please send a similar email to info@montblancnaturalresort.com.

Reading the above emails, I believe you are talking about the current annual pass.
ski holidays
@chrise1967, yes, the chatter about refunds above is in reference to the current annual passes and a refund on them for the period the resort was closed in Mar/Apr.

Like you I think you will get a 'non', but I guess it can't hurt to try. Maybe I'll get the missus to send in the email you suggest, so it doesn't queer my pitch in regard to the ongoing current pass refund.
snow report
Just renewed. I'm based in Geneva but I think they'll keep that border open unless things get so bad I won't want to leave the house anyway. Plus the prospect of a big powder day in Les Houches 4 weeks from now was just too much to resist.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy