Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen to ban ski boots...

Poster: A snowHead
.....well after 8pm in town.

https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3060192/

I think they did this in Ischgl recently (?), not sure how much of a problem there is in Mayrhofen but town obviously think it needs fixing. Overall the town is trying to reduce the party rep.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The ski boot ban has existed in Ischgl for a few years now. There has been some thought that St Anton might go down the same route, though with the main apres spots above the village which close at 20:00 not sure how practical that is. All the resorts seem to want to go "up market" with more focus on 4 and 5 star accommodation, higher value "clients" etc. From the point of view of the hotel owners it seems to make more sense as there is far more money to be made running a 4 star wellness hotel than the traditional hotel garni. However there are only so many potential guests who can afford such holidays, given the current situation I suspect value for money is more on the agenda for the immediate future than high end breaks. When the current situation ends, whether or not for next season, I suspect we shall see the return of pretty much the same "apres", it is popular with many guests (even those who stay in 5 star hotels) and, perhaps more pertinently, it makes lots of money for the bar owners.

I suspect the Zillertal does very well outside of the winter season, things like increasing the size of pedestrian zones and pushing the "family & environmentally friendly" elements is likely to help the overall tourist trade and more than make up for any lost business in a few apres bars
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I suspect value for money is more on the agenda for the immediate future than high end breaks

There's an argument for the converse - everywhere, not just ski resorts. The "cram 'em in" venues are not going to be able to operate normally for some time - here in the UK the expensive "boutique" hotels with fewer beds to the square metre are doing well now, and will the era of thousands of people all feeding themselves, cheek by jowel, at the troughs of gigantic cruise ships ever return? Restaurants with a few, well-spaced, beautifully table-clothed eating areas will cope with the new operating environment a lot better than places which are profitable only if there are loads of "low marginal revenue" bums on seats.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, we just had a night in a hotel for our wedding anniversary. The fact the hotel has 8 bedrooms in total was a selling point to us. Very nice and happy to recommend if somewhere is after somewhere to stay near Blandford Forum Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, Congratulations!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bennyboy1, does the after 8pm skiboot ban apply to snowboard boots too? If not then this is a flagrant case of anti skier discrimination... wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The current mayor and her team are critical of the way the town has developed away from more traditional looking architecture. There are a number of modern looking buildings along the high street which they don’t like. They want to remove neon signs. The mood is to also reduce the trashy element around the Penken and Ahorn lift at the base. I was wondering in reality what this actually means. I assume most people will still drink in their boots until, say, 7pm then go back to their accommodation to either change shoes and go back out or potentially just call it a night.

I was in the Bruck n stadl last year and there were very few people in ski boots. I have seen people in the Scotland Yard in boots just the once and hardly see that many people walking down the high street in their boots. Anyway it’s clearly a problem otherwise they wouldn’t be doing it. But part of me thinks force closing the bar (Ice Bar) early would be just as affective.

Munich Irish is right, they do very well in the summer, and the town has a lot of people (old and young) so restricting the traffic on the high street makes sense.

I can see the sense in making the whole experience more up market but I would hate for it to be like Ischgl or Lech. Mayrhofen has its own character, a real living breathing place.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alastair Pink, if it’s noise then snowboard boots would be just fine!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And you can walk around in snowboard boots without looking like a poorly adjusted robot.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nothing too radical in the article, also didn't see any comment on architecture. They can hardly complain about that when it's in their own hands. There is also nothing more out of keeping than the new Penken lift station.

Having been to the Hof more than 40 weeks at all times of the summer and winter season, the only time I have seen bad disruptive behaviour has been during the middle and latter years of snowbombing, I am amazed that the town still puts up with it.

Some are so greedy they are willing to let it continue, but every local I talk to hates it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JimboS, there have been other press / interviews on the subject recent. But I completely agree with you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As for neon, I'm thinking, the kebab shop, but that's gone a bit up market now, the little burger place at the bottom of the village, but that isn't too noticeable, but surely someone in the council had a say in the harikiri bar.

I also agree on your suggestion for the Ice bar, and it's a total eyesore. There may be changes on the way for it though as the Strass is closed at the moment for a major refurb.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JimboS, I do t keep up with the local politics but maybe the Greens recently came into power!? I actually don’t mind the changes....although it would also make expansion of the ski area unlikely if it is the Greens.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimboS wrote:
the Strass is closed at the moment for a major refurb.

About bloomin' time. I've gone there on and off for 30 years and, other than the spa area (which is really nice) and the bridge connecting the other part of the hotel, I don't think they've touched it. Agree about the Eisbar but the clientele don't exactly treat it with respect.

Last time I was in Harakiri it felt a bit 'Russian' - the wrong kind of boisterousness if you know what I mean.

Bruckenstadl for me.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was introduced in Ischgl about 4 years ago and...didn't seem to upset anyone or cause any real issues. You get the security officers giving a few people polite warnings at the start of a week but once everyone knows they just seem to follow the rule.

The only differences I'd say are:
1. More people ski/change/apres, rather than ski/apres in ski gear now so you don't need to watch your toes quite so carefully in the apres bars.
2. You still get a few early hours happy drunks singing their way home, but without the additional 'clump, clump, clump' of ski boots.
3. A drop in apres injuries, both to drunk people falling trying to walk in ski boots and also to the people they walk past while carrying skis and having lost their special awareness to schnapps...
snow report
This is a non issue,

Next season everyone will be required to return their Hotels/Accommodations after the Ski Day when the Lifts close.

There will be No Apres Ski or Nightlife .
snow report
All, don't listen to stanton, he is an energy vampire, ignore him and you will be OK.
latest report
Mayrhofen, so popular with the Britons, is worrying about becoming trashy....funny.
snow report
@Langerzug, [trying not to fall into the trap you have set here.....] i find there are less Brits and more Dutch, Eastern European’s and Russians. Mostly it’s Germans.

But yes I would want to avoid turning it into a night out in [Manchester]* if I was the local Mayor.

* choose any city you like
latest report
I can only assume people are telling @Stanon this so he doesn't go out and Zap the mood of the room . so yea Stanton , no one is going skiing this season ,in fact no one is ever going anywhere again . so just stay home and wait for everyone to give the green light
ski holidays
I miss the old Bruck n Stadl, the new one has lost all the fun, people on tables in skiboots waving sparklers to AC DC was a thing to behold Smile
snow report
I have to say I never got the whole sparklers in hands/drinks as part of apres ski. Not when so many people are wearing ski gear and ski gear has such a high nylon content!
latest report
@Ghost Dog, You are miss-remembering, not ACDC, it was Angels by Robbie. Here is a screen grab of the video, don't want the embarrassment of uploading to my youtube channel. Feb 2007.

Remember the two german police women we met who took down our particulars?

ski holidays
Neil was certainly hoping so Smile
snow report
New building on main high street right next to Kostner. Bit of an eye sore....horses for courses?

ski holidays
At least it has the appearance of wood. Similar style as the Woodyard offices at the bottom of they valley.
ski holidays
The Kostner probably wasn't very happy about it but you can't have your cake and eat it. Laughing I'll get my coat......
ski holidays
Looks like carrying skis, boards and wearing boots after 6pm might incur a fine. Alcohol restrictions imposed too. 6pm for boots is early!

https://www.tt.com/artikel/30751509/weniger-laerm-verbot-von-alkohol-und-skischuhen-im-ortszentrum-mayrhofen
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bennyboy1, Well at least the restriction applies to snowboarders as well as skiers now wink (see my previous tongue in cheek comment about discrimination) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, carrying your snowboard (I have one too on some days Very Happy ) but maybe snowboard boots would be fine.

Anyway we use the lockers at the Tal station so no prob for me.

For this season coming I may drive to the Horbergbahn car park instead of taking the bus to Penken to avoid sharing a gondola. So the ban won’t impact me. However I prefer to change shoes for crowd surfing in any normal year anyway....
ski holidays
Crops up in discussion with Mike in Episode 58 of The Ski Podcast (news section near start)
https://audioboom.com/posts/7676551-58-norway-swiss-memories-the-end-of-apres-ski
snow report
Good podcast. I haven’t listened before. Thank you
snow report
JimboS wrote:
Similar style as the Woodyard offices at the bottom of they valley.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

That's so true!
snow report
That will hurt Scotland Yard closing at 11pm!!
latest report
Are there THAT many people in there at 11pm still in full ski gear? Even pre-ban in Ischgl it was a very limited number of people out past 8pm in ski gear, most opting for either a shower change before aprea, or after apreas/before heading back out for dinner.

At a guess a 6pm ban will have more impact on the apres bars than anything else. I'd expect them to see more 'straight from the slopes' drinkers, still in full ski gear, who drift homewards around 5:30pm to shower and change. The question will be how may will then go straight back out for a bit more apres before dinner, and how many will just chill for a bit before heading straight to dinner...?
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:
JimboS wrote:
the Strass is closed at the moment for a major refurb.

About bloomin' time. I've gone there on and off for 30 years and, other than the spa area (which is really nice) and the bridge connecting the other part of the hotel, I don't think they've touched it. Agree about the Eisbar but the clientele don't exactly treat it with respect.

Last time I was in Harakiri it felt a bit 'Russian' - the wrong kind of boisterousness if you know what I mean.

Bruckenstadl for me.

I was just about to post the same view about Harakiri. Let's hope 2020/21 isn't impacted too much by the current pandemic!
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
Are there THAT many people in there at 11pm still in full ski gear? Even pre-ban in Ischgl it was a very limited number of people out past 8pm in ski gear, most opting for either a shower change before aprea, or after apreas/before heading back out for dinner...?

It's not the ban on boots that's bothering me its the ban on alcohol sale after 11pm!! Scotties is just warming up then.
snow report
Ah, had missed that bit...though for us a few hours apres on empty stomachs means the "Must eat" sirens are going off in everyone's heads at 7pm, which leads to a round of over-eating, leading in turn to rolling out a restaurant around 10pm with the call of "bed" being much louder than the one for "one more cheeky beer".

11pm in an Austrian ski resort is a bit like a Marmotte. I've been told both exist, but don't think I've ever seen either Very Happy
snow conditions
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Good podcast. I haven’t listened before. Thank you

Thanks! Latest episode out now discussing quarantine etc
https://audioboom.com/posts/7688440-59-cool-runnings-2022-emily-sarsfield-savetheskitrain-cahaya-straits
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy