Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the current situation regarding travel to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
@Mountain Surfer, if you transit through Innsbruck , you will be subject to the Austrian quarantine rules on your return, sorry Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It appears that Germany is going to declare Vienna a "high risk" area meaning that anyone who has been there needs to either have a test (currently free at airports) or quarantine see https://www.thelocal.at/20200916/germany-to-declare-vienna-as-a-coronavirus-risk-zone . I know that Vienna has many more cases than elsewhere in the country but given how vital the German tourist market is to the Austrian economy and how close the two countries are culturally (yes I know the "Austrians" always complain about the "Germans" Very Happy ) this could be a pretty big issue. A similar declaration about the Balearic islands (Mallorca etc) has had big consequences economically there. Will be some very nervous hoteliers etc in the Tirol and elsewhere.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munich_irish, yeah, this is a huge problem for Vienna. I was reading earlier that the open hotels there are operating at about 28% of capacity, and 80% of that business is coming from Germany Shocked Vienna has about half the infections for just over 20% of the country’s population (or it did have last time I checked, such information has now been hidden and replaced with a meaningless orange blob rolling eyes )

The traffic light is also a problem and has now become a meme (some I saw earlier included the health minister with a lottery machine and also with a full rainbow colour chart, as that is how predictable the map is Laughing ) but in the real world, hotel bookings stopped increasing at the yellow change, and then started being cancelled when it turned orange. The country can’t afford that kind of unpredictable nonsense, so I’ll be interested to see if it’s gone in the bin by October rolling eyes

Edited for bad maths Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, I doubt the German health authorities take any notice of the website, the decisions are based on statistics and reports. The numbers for the Tirol, whilst not as bad as Vienna, are not that good (Vienna yesterday was 319, Tirol 83). Have to hope things improve over the next week. I am sure when tourists see the colours on the map it affects their behaviour, however justified or not that might be.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, I’ve no doubt (frustratingly) that the RKI has better info than me, but yeah the tourists will see that map and act accordingly. Where are you getting those numbers from? Not that I doubt them, just that my source has been bolluxed up. Tirol numbers (inc. ibk) down slightly today (national stats are a day behind due to lag in reporting). 70 cases in the last few days from a lock-in in a bar, which apparently is what happens when you impose a curfew...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
https://npgeo-corona-npgeo-de.hub.arcgis.com/app/fd4701f7653543d4afdccd2a386e639b you have to click on the "Bundesländer" button to go to the sensible map rather than the traffic light one. You can still get the daily numbers for individual "Bezirke" by selecting the relevant Land, then the Bezirk and looking at the adjacent graph.

Just saw this in the TT blog "There is no such warning for Tyrol, but the Foreign Office in Berlin explicitly points out the “sharply increasing” Covid-19 infection figures also in the state of Tyrol, in particular in the city of Innsbruck." https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus/80123/berlin-nimmt-auch-tirol-ins-visier . Could be that autumn mountain trips are restricted to Bavaria Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The situation in Austria just got a whole lot worse, according to Donald Trump Austria has forest cities with "explosive trees"! Shocked https://www.tiktok.com/@jfvlk/video/6872787216746253569

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, ah, thanks. I hadn’t realised it was hidden under the other button rolling eyes

Not surprising really, there effectively haven’t really been any restrictions in gastronomy for a couple of months. Innsbruck has a very young population, so it probably looks worse than it is.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:
The situation in Austria just got a whole lot worse, according to Donald Trump Austria has forest cities with "explosive trees"! Shocked https://www.tiktok.com/@jfvlk/video/6872787216746253569

Laughing Laughing

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DB, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/16UMxUtk64s
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DB, brilliant
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
to be honest this winter will be very strange...also for me, since i live outside Austria
i wanted to buy a SkiAmade saisonpass, but after the last news i think it is not the best option...

i have already booked 10days round new years day in Radstadt and i dont know whata are my option...i hope the it will be better until then....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timberwolf wrote:

I know it's only December, and I know it's only a bloody holiday, and I know it's trivial in the grand scheme of things, so you don't need to chip in with all those opinions ( thanks though Very Happy ), I'm just trying to understand a bit more...........

Well, It's beginning to dawn on me that there is only an extremely slim chance of making it to Austria at Christmas Sad

So, i'm £600 in for 4 return flights booked in the Spring ( which I guess there might be a small chance of re-arranging ), and €1000 euros in for a deposit for accommodation which i will have to check with the provider about what can be done. Oh well, i knew the risks when i booked it....sounds like a 1st world whinge when I compare it to the suffering that this virus has brought to others. Damn you Covid-19 Sad I guess i had better contact the insurance company to see if i'm covered Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just being reported that bars/restaurants/etc will have to close at 10pm (instead of 1am) from this Friday, initially for 3 weeks, in Tirol, Vorarlberg and Salzburg...
snow report
Quote:

Well, It's beginning to dawn on me that there is only an extremely slim chance of making it to Austria at Christmas

@Timberwolf, Really? Its been that way for months imo....
snow report
@Markymark29, i'd have said it was better than 50:50 in the summer, when stats were bottoming out
snow conditions
Timberwolf wrote:
@Markymark29, i'd have said it was better than 50:50 in the summer, when stats were bottoming out

I’d concur. At one point it was looking that way. Even if we would have to get a test done that would have been fine (yes increased our cost but one I was prepared to pay).

The biggest issue for me is the travel insurance. Unless we can get that in place, I can’t see us getting there. Sad
ski holidays
All you can do is keep an eye on the situation, I guess. The Austrian govt has recently brought in a load of new regs (broadly similar to the UK) but it will take a week or two to see if they make a difference. The timing is deliberate – as well as having an increasing case rate, we are heading into the off-season so the negative effects on bars and retail are less pronounced, and there are fewer tourists moving around or returning from abroad.

The plan is still to open the Christmas markets as usual, although presumable with some restrictions as they're normally packed as tightly as the Galzigbahn on a British holiday, so the numbers need to come down in advance of that. It should work out – Kufstein numbers are down by half on a week or so ago, so it seems reasonable that Innsbruck will follow. No-one wants to lose the winter tourist season because of travel restrictions to the area.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, I suspect that the travel warnings from the German and now the Dutch government have worried the Austrian tourist industry big time (afraid the Brits dont count much in this regard) so they will do pretty much anything to get the warnings lifted even if that means closing the bars early for a while. As it has been from the beginning we shall have to wait to see what happens, personally I agree that things will look better in the not too distant future but the situation around most of Europe does not look good currently.
snow report
@munich_irish, totally agree. I also appreciate that they have put a time limit on the bar curfew – if it works out, the regulation will be dropped within a specific time which is quite short, so that gives everyone something to work towards and an end in sight.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
The plan is still to open the Christmas markets as usual...

Not everywhere. The Kitzbühel Christmas market (and New Year celebrations) have been cancelled, I believe.
snow report
I was hopeful that travel to austria would be on next season ,now having had the new rules foisted upon us cant see that we can consider booking atm and I am less hopeful of skiing next season than i have been even through to march
ski holidays
1. Skiing will happen in Austria this winter
2. It is likely that for at least some portion of the winter neither the Austrian nor UK government will have a travel ban/quarantine for the other in place
3. Booking a long way in advance obviously makes no sense, so just wait until the window presents itself and book last minute
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
1. Skiing will happen in Austria this winter
2. It is likely that for at least some portion of the winter neither the Austrian nor UK government will have a travel ban/quarantine for the other in place
3. Booking a long way in advance obviously makes no sense, so just wait until the window presents itself and book last minute

All well and good if you can take leave when you want and aren’t tied to school holidays
snow report
The German government has now decided that the Vorarlberg is a "high risk" area meaning either a test or quarantine on return. The Tirol is currently not considered such a risk (though the Dutch and Belgians think differently). Strangely despite the endless chaos in Whitehall the German government does not consider anywhere in the UK to be a high risk area though Dublin has been added to the list.

@NickyJ, You can always book for the Isle of Wight (I believe 1 case / 100000 last week lower than anywhere in Austria) Very Happy
snow report
@munich_irish, suspect we would get more skiing at our local Snowtrax!
snow conditions
munich_irish wrote:
The German government has now decided that the Vorarlberg is a "high risk" area meaning either a test or quarantine on return. The Tirol is currently not considered such a risk...

Could lead to some interesting conversations on the border. “I see you went to St Anton. Did you use the Flexenbahn? Yes? Okay, off to quarantine you go...!”.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Austrian government has reiterated again that skiing will be happening this winter but without apres ski ie no standing around drinking even outside, drinking only whilst seated. Christmas markets will also be going ahead though (as elsewhere) with much less, if any, booze see https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus for more details.

@ulmerhutte, The German restrictions do not apply for trips of less than 48 hours. Potentially day or even overnight trips should not be an issue if the restrictions are still in place come December. However there is some disquiet about this as the 48 hour thing is intended primarily for business trips and those who live in one country and work in another, it could be that it is changed to specifically exclude tourist trips. If restrictions are still in place come the ski season then I would suggest the interpretation would be based around where someone stayed eg Lech or St Anton rather than whether they cross the Länder boundaries. Hopefully a completely irrelevant concern.
ski holidays
The Austrian Chancellor has made a statement , this is an extract, link to the full article at the bottom.

Après-ski will not be possible as usual this winter", declared Federal Chancellor Sebastian Kurz. The risk of infection is too high. Tourism Minister Elisabeth Köstinger presented a concept for winter tourism: The minimum distance of one meter should be observed when queuing for cable cars and in restaurants. In addition, it is mandatory to wear mouth and nose protection in gondolas and bars. There will be no maximum number of people per gondola. Food and beverages may only be consumed while seated, including outdoors. Groups are allowed up to ten people. Mixing of groups of people - for example in ski schools - should be avoided.

Quelle: https://www.sn.at/wirtschaft/oesterreich/coronavirus-regierung-stimmt-auf-skivergnuegen-ohne-apres-ski-ein-93258994 © Salzburger Nachrichten VerlagsgesmbH & Co KG 2020
latest report
Quote:

Mixing of groups of people - for example in ski schools - should be avoided

do you know what this means?

I have two children who we may or not be booking into lessons. Eldest snowboarding if she decides to. Youngest was hoping to book some private lessons.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, sorry my German isn’t good enough, I interpret as if you ate in ski lesson group A then you shouldn’t mix with group B , so creating a bubble.
ski holidays
radar wrote:
@NickyJ, sorry my German isn’t good enough, I interpret as if you ate in ski lesson group A then you shouldn’t mix with group B , so creating a bubble.

This is why I was struggling so two children in different classes due to different levels?
snow report
@NickyJ, I would give it a day or so for everyone to absorb the new restrictions and then contact the ski school, there will be lots of parents wondering the same.
ski holidays
@radar, TBH my faith in us even getting there is not very high! So won’t be booking ski school until MUCH closer to the time
ski holidays
@NickyJ, booked flights last week, have everything crossed.
snow report
Not sure the ski school thing makes any more sense in the original German. Best leave it a few days, sure there will be more details.
ski holidays
There is a video explaining the various regulations here https://liveblog.tt.com/414/coronavirus/80831/video-die-wichtigsten-regeln-fur-den-wintertourismus-im-uberblick . I would interpret the relevant one here to mean no groups larger than 10 people and no mixing of those groups, which would apply to ski school too.
latest report
the whole thing with the ski schools is that one instructor has max 10 kids and the other instructor 10 other kids...
there is not allowed that kids from group A get to group B or vice verca
Meaning that if a kid or the instructor from group A, has the virus , only this group A has the problem with tests, quarantine etc
But if during the week a kid from A get ot B, then the B group will also has the problem etc etc
Such a way they are trying to avoid the spreading of the virus

Of course there is a matter, for someone who has a child in Group X, and another kid in Group Y...it the kids are not in the same level
But there is nothing you can do about that
latest report
This ski school thing for young kids is going to be a logistical nightmare and imo will not work. At break times and lunch time they get together and cram into self-service restaurants on the hill and there's often 100's all running around together, and the ski instructors all stand about whilst havoc ensues, how is that going to work?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy