Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Northern Powderhouse: Allenheads, Raise, Weardale and Yad Moss. 2020 - 2021

Poster: A snowHead
Time to start a new thread. Last season had some good skiing, particularly at altitude in the Lake District but also some good, if limited days across the other side of the eden valley up in the NorthPennines.

At Yad Moss Season tickets are now on sale for the coming winter. Price £55 for new adult members and £10 for juniors. Returning adult Season Ticket holders only pay £40.
Day tickets will normally be available on the hill for £20 (£10 for juniors) unless a very busy day is anticipated in which case they may be restricted to online sales the night before.

All the clubs cooperate with each other and in previous years have offered reciprocal discounts on day tickets to season ticket holders. Here are the links:

Yad Moss Ski Club, North Pennines
http://yadmoss.co.uk/
Allenheads Ski Club, North Pennines http://ski-allenheads.co.uk/
Lake District Ski Club, Helvellyn Massif http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/
Weardale Ski Club, North Pennines http://www.skiweardale.com/  

Let’s hope for snow from the east as well as the west this year.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Let’s hope for snow from the east as well as the west this year
North and south would be good too - we're not too fussy! Anything will do! Laughing

I know what you mean though Peter S
- Yad Moss was particularly memorable when the Beast from the East filled Hen Gill Gully for brilliant skiing back down to the road...

Fingers crossed, we could be on for our first Pennines slide in only two months' time.... wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Re. Weardale parking Grizzler (from query in 2019-20 conditions thread): You are correct in that the layby at the gate to the ski hill gets full quickly - maybe 10 cars Puzzled

After that, cars park down the hill - at an angle, facing into the wire fence on the left (ie driving in forwards). Snow can be deep against the fence - hence the need to dig a space. The membership rules stipulate that visitors must park in that way. However, I've still seen chaos and the road blocked with cars trying to turn round, reverse in etc...

On a busy day, cars can end up parked all the way to the bridge/bend at the bottom of the hill - which can be a good ski back down Very Happy

You're right in that the last thing you want (in either direction) is to meet an oncoming vehicle on the single-track road Shocked Passing places are virtually non-existent apart from farm gates - I've had to reverse uphill for 'miles' before....

If you park at the chain-fitting layby on the road from Daddry Shield, someone will always give you a lift up to the slopes - well at least in non-covid times... Confused

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-09-20 8:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And free advertising too wink

https://planetski.eu/2020/09/05/covid-19-restrictions-at-english-ski-area-next-winter/?fbclid=IwAR3t4qN6aTB09pUXxZ-MfiBxN3OP6PAGyNgYsTTuBrQvYxglEIdnf4XscK0
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @mountainaddict. I really must try it this year (as well as Yadders, obvs).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.skiweardale.com/WSC50thNewsletter.pdf

50 years of Weardale ski club.

What a great story. Lots of digging, construction and so many amazing vehicles. They have clearly had a lot of fun over the years, as well as some great skiing. No doubt when they built Those first crude rope tows they couldn’t have imagined where it would lead Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And if you haven’t seen it before here is the short film ‘Raise’.

The chap sat in the wheelbarrow is The late, great Bernie Warriner BEM.

http://youtube.com/v/-oXgGDwcRYA
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Breaking news: Snow Forecast Up North for Friday Night, 9th Oct 2020 Very Happy

- 1cm at the top of Yad Moss & Weardale.
- 2cm at the top of Raise.

'Fetch the snow chains Parker!' Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mountainaddict, Same for Snowdonia Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right on cue. The second weekend of October is traditionally the first snowfall of the English season snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Right on cue. The second weekend of October is traditionally the first snowfall of the English season
First time I've ever spotted it! When was the earliest ever lift-served Northern England skiing
Peter S Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great question! @mountainaddict,
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mrs MA & I have definitely used the lifts at Yad Moss & (now defunct) Harwood in the last week of November....But I'm betting there will have been earlier skiing/boarding than that...most probably on Raise?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, I recall walking on my Birthday which is mid November and people skiing the following weekend.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mountainaddict, pretty sure I have skied at Yad Moss towards the end of October a few years back.
snow report
Yes we have run the tow in October. Latest was May but that was before the Poma so would have been the top rope tow prior to 1988, probably 1986.
snow report
October 2020 to May 2020 will do nicely Peter S Laughing
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
October 2020 to May 2021 will do nicely Peter S Laughing

FIFY
latest report
Just noticed this on Weardale Twitter:

Weardale Ski Club have decided not to allow day passes this season to ensure we can control numbers. This means you will need to be a member to ski. There are still some places available. Reciprocal arrangements with Raise, Yad Moss and Allenheads continue but only on weekdays
snow report
Assuming we stay with more severe restrictions and there isn't much overseas travel it's a sensible decision. Visitor numbers to the wider countryside in the NE / NW suggest being overwhelmed is a very real risk - not looking like there is a low season. There's not really a suck it and see - it just seems to be go straight to really high numbers. Been really surprised at visitor numbers to Teesdale in September - more like high summer.

I'm going for the usual spread of passes this year and hoping I'll be able to get out somewhere between different region and nation restrictions.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 27-10-20 21:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Morning all and thanks for starting this thread @Peter S. The Lake District Ski Club has suspended new memberships in the light of the greater demand we expect to see this season, as @oldagedpredator suggests. We have started a waiting list and may re-open memberships if we're able to cope ok on a sunny Sunday. In the meantime, we hope to be able to offer guest skiing - though, realistically, this is likely to be during the week or when conditions are "challenging..." Shocked

In answer to @Mountainaddict's question, I think the earliest we have run the tow on Raise in the last decade was Nov 4 (maybe 2014?) - and we had a couple of days of epic wall-to-wall powder. If I remember correctly, there then followed a two-month hiatus before we got any more. (The local greybeards do be saying Nov dump = season flump... Little Angel Puzzled )

We have also published our Covid guidelines: https://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/test-page.html
snow report
The Raise

First resort to open this year?
ski holidays
Fingers crossed

Brecon Beacons was skied today, but not a resort Wink
snow report
@russ_e, was up Helvellyn range today, all white stuff gone (bar the low cloud Sad ) so guess that it was a very brief early season!
snow report
Gutted to hear that @Grizzler! I'm still waiting for Mike Pow to post pictures of his Wales adventure.
snow report
Awaiting guidance from Snowsports England about whether we can ski, just in case we get enough snow this month. The new lockdown guidance says "you can and should still travel to... spend time or exercise outdoors. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary".
snow report
https://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/updated-ceo-covid-statement/

That’ll be a ‘no’ then before the 2nd December.
snow report
Yes "we can confirm that the new restrictions mean that snowsport activity in England is not permitted for the duration of the national lockdown." although you should still be able to go for a self isolated tour on the basis that
Quote:

"you can and should still travel to... spend time or exercise outdoors. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel to do so if necessary"
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The tows went up at Allenheads this week. They were due to go up this Sunday but as I understand it a small but elite guerilla task force got the job done earlier this week ahead of lockdown. Much praise to Mike Horrocks and the other volunteers for their hard work.
Orders for a good week-long freeze followed by two days heavy snow on the 1st and 2nd of next month have been submitted to the local council.
latest report
@Hotdogger, it's NCC! You expect them to have the road cleared as well???!!!
ski holidays
Haha! True true. Wouldn't be the first time I've driven over to find myself basically driving through a single lane tunnel hoping to God nobody comes the other way!
snow conditions
Quote:
Orders for a good week-long freeze followed by two days heavy snow on the 1st and 2nd of next month have been submitted
...Only to find it comes to pass but the lockdown is extended further.... rolling eyes Any turns we get this season - absolutely anywhere, in any conditions - will be a bonus.... Confused
snow conditions
2 meters plus forecast for Yad Moss over the weekend!
latest report
@russ_e, from a reliable source or automated website??
snow report
Quote:
2 meters plus forecast for Yad Moss over the weekend
16cm to be precise...Which is decent enough & would certainly be enough for those of us who have skied on about 2cm of snow there... Laughing

But the big question is, would they be allowed to open Puzzled
snow conditions
Shame the webcams aren't on at Yad!
snow report
If the Snowdome can open then I'm sure Yad Moss can Smile

I'm hoping for some snow on the local hills (Peaks)
latest report
Yes Snowsports England have confirmed that outdoor snow sports facilities can open subject to setting out their Covid procedures.
Watching the weather forecast for the weekend ......will it...won’t it Puzzled
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
And if you haven’t seen it before here is the short film ‘Raise’.

The chap sat in the wheelbarrow is The late, great Bernie Warriner BEM.

http://youtube.com/v/-oXgGDwcRYA

Good watch.

Cool Scotch bull.
snow conditions
As an alternative, if unable to get on any bashes, I am thinking of asking to Borrow a winter equipped camper Van.

Thought about Scotland, but logostics and fuel costs make it difficult. Plus possible lockdowns en route.

Northern England a possibility, conditions and covid allowing, where would be the best place to go where I could park, hopefully near a pub, and conceivably, walk to the snow?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy