Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2020-21

Poster: A snowHead
Confirmation. Earliest start since we got our place there. And still no prospect of making it out.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello all

I'm weighing up the options a trip to Cervinia in November and I was wondering what impact the restrictions for UK residents going to Switzerland will have on the Autumn skiing. Do the restrictions impact skiing in Zermatt if coming from the Italian side? I'll most probably be doing a course with one of the UK based ski schools and, from what I understand, a significant amount of the glacier skiing is on the Swiss side so will it be prohibitively limited. I've not been to the area before, so apologies if this is a stupid question!

Thank you!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eversolazy wrote:
Hello all

I'm weighing up the options a trip to Cervinia in November and I was wondering what impact the restrictions for UK residents going to Switzerland will have on the Autumn skiing. Do the restrictions impact skiing in Zermatt if coming from the Italian side? I'll most probably be doing a course with one of the UK based ski schools and, from what I understand, a significant amount of the glacier skiing is on the Swiss side so will it be prohibitively limited. I've not been to the area before, so apologies if this is a stupid question!

Thank you!

That is tricky. What we regard as the glacier skiing (i.e. you are on glacier from top to bottom) is all in Switzerland. The upper part of the Italian skiing is on glacier but the glacier does not extend down to the next lift station.

Cervinia opens up late October and conditions have been good. So the school could carry out courses in November all on the Italian side.

If you did come over to the Swiss side (and you had been in the UK in the previous ten days) you would be breaking the law. There are no border checks whatsoever. So I suspect there will be quite a lot of such law breaking going on while the UK is on Switzerland’s quarantine list but not Italy’s.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JohnMo wrote:
If you did come over to the Swiss side (and you had been in the UK in the previous ten days) you would be breaking the law. There are no border checks whatsoever. So I suspect there will be quite a lot of such law breaking going on while the UK is on Switzerland’s quarantine list but not Italy’s.

I am pretty certain there is no issue where the passenger is transiting though Switzerland rather than staying in Switzerland - I wonder if this will cover the situation?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wildsmith wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

I am pretty certain there is no issue where the passenger is transiting though Switzerland rather than staying in Switzerland - I wonder if this will cover the situation?

Interesting thought. The below is from the Swiss government’s FAQs. I guess one would be travelling from Italy to Italy. As I say there are no checks. So it is up to an individual to decide if they are covered.

Quote:

Transit from a Schengen state to other Schengen state
Following the lifting of border controls within the Schengen area and the special pandemic-related arrangements at the internal borders, entry from a Schengen state for the purpose of travelling on to another Schengen state is possible for anyone who is lawfully present in the Schengen area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With the 10 day isolation in and the 14 day isolation back still in place, these new measures are not making Brit visits to Zermatt or the other Valais resorts very likely in the near future.

Quote:

Valais is currently the canton in Switzerland most affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, even if the situation at the national level is also very serious. Given the exponential increase in cases and hospitalizations, the State Council is forced to take drastic measures. The aim is to contain the spread of the contagion and at the same time to maintain the economy as much as possible. The Valais government has therefore decided to introduce new restrictions from Thursday, October 22nd, such as the complete closure of night bars or discos, the early closure of other public utilities at 10 p.m., the closure of entertainment and leisure facilities and the restriction of public and private gatherings and events for ten participants.

The epidemiological situation in connection with the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19) is worrying in Switzerland, currently one of the most severely affected European countries. The situation is particularly serious in Valais, where the highest number of new cases is registered in relation to the population. The number of infections tripled in the past week and the positivity rate of the tests in people living in Valais rose to 28.5% (compared to 16.4% in the previous week). Hospitalizations continue to rise at a particularly worrying rate. There is a risk that the Wallis Hospital will no longer be able to cope with the influx of patients. The proportion of people over 60 who have been affected by the virus is also alarming. This is twice as high as the peak observed in March.

In light of this development, the State Council has no choice but to take the following drastic and immediate measures, which will come into effect on Thursday, October 22, 2020. These apply as long as necessary, but no later than November 30, 2020:

- Always wear a mask at closed workplaces (including in vehicles), especially in the offices of public administrations and private companies, unless this is impossible for health or safety reasons (in which case the necessary distance must be maintained); People who work alone are not subject to this obligation;

- Prohibition of gathering more than ten people in public spaces, especially on squares, promenades, sidewalks and paths as well as in parks

- Prohibition of gatherings of more than ten people in private circles;

- Prohibition of public and private events and activities with more than ten people (subject to exceptions that may be issued by the State Council, especially in cases of overriding public interest);

- Suspension of visits to hospitals and old people's and nursing homes, subject to cases of hardship;

- Complete closure of night bars, nightclubs, discos, piano bars, erotic clubs and other similar or analog facilities;

- Closure of public establishments (cafes, restaurants, tea rooms, pubs, vinotheques and other similar or analogous facilities) daily at 10 p.m. at the latest;

- Limit the maximum number of people seated at one table in these public facilities to four guests (excluding those living in the same household);

- mandatory implementation of a digital tracking application for these public bodies;

- Distance learning only for schools at the tertiary level;

- Closure of entertainment and leisure facilities (cinemas, theaters, museums, libraries and media libraries, fitness, wellness centers, public swimming pools and bathing facilities, bowling alleys, concert halls and other similar or similar facilities; this does not include wellness facilities in hotels for their own guests);

- Prohibition of contact sports (football, basketball, hockey, martial arts, etc.), with the exception of professional sports to the exclusion of the public and individual training;

- Strengthening of the controls by the municipal authorities;

- Strengthening of controls by the office for employee protection and employment relationships in companies whose staff are particularly affected by the number of infections (cluster).

These new measures complement those that are already in place.

In making its decision, the State Council weighed up all the interests involved. The aim is to protect the population and especially the risk groups and to limit the overloading of the health system and at the same time to protect the interests of the economy, which has already been badly affected by the pandemic, as best as possible. For this reason, the State Council decided not to take more drastic measures at this point in time, such as those used in the partial lockdown this spring. However, the Valais government is aware that it will be difficult to contain the spread of the epidemic quickly, as the measures taken today will not take effect for two weeks.

However, the Government of the Canton of Valais recalls that the key element in the fight against the epidemic lies in the appropriate behavior of each individual.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Opening day for the Italian side. The pistes from Plateau Rosa down to Laghi Cime Bianche (i.e. the upper Ventina, number 7) and all the pistes from the border ridge down to Plan Maison are open. Combined with the pistes on the upper and lower glaciers down to Trockener Steg on the Swiss side that is a big skiing area. Conditions look great as well.

Here are the Italians at Plan Maison. I am not jealous at all, oh no.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh dear. That didn't last long. Cervinia has been closed down until they can agree a protocol for crowd management with the government. There have been a lot of photos on social media of ticket queues in particular but also non-distanced crowds on gondolas.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JohnMo wrote:
Oh dear. That didn't last long. Cervinia has been closed down until they can agree a protocol for crowd management with the government. There have been a lot of photos on social media of ticket queues in particular but also non-distanced crowds on gondolas.

I get the feeling this is going to be a common theme across ski resorts this season. I still can't picture how they will ensure low crowd levels on the Sunnegga funicular or the Matterhorn Express for example...If they did bring in crowd control measures imagine the queues!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well that is not something you see every October: the village looking very white. I guess it will melt as snow this time of year does but that is an impressive dump. Great news for higher up. The start of the season should be excellent. There is even snow down the valley at my place in Täsch (at least I assume I have a place - it is many months since I have seen it).

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've booked for Zermatt over Christmas - I live in Switzerland so barring another total lockdown or too stringent lift management rules as there are a lot of 'enclosed' lifts in Zermatt, I hope we'll be OK to go

Lovely picture above - let's hope its a good sign for a great snow this year
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are still hoping to get out to a neighbouring village just before Christmas, suffer the 10 days isolation, then head out on the mountain.
It is just the lift queues that are giving us some concerns. The main gondola up from the village is a 6 seater - how they will manage that is a bit of a worry.
Given our age, we stay away from public transport in the UK - although we love skiing, we would still like to continue (both it & other things!) for a while yet.
Difficult decision to make. Hopefully it will become clearer nearer the time. We have bought the passes, but not yet booked the 'ferry'.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is going to be interesting what they do. The Xmas and New Year weeks must be a real worry. Certainly, the Swiss lift company will have watched the weekend shenanigans over the other side of the ridge in Cervinia with concern.

Up on the mountains you can imagine things might be OK. The old pinch points at Gant (on the way up to Blauherd) and at Trockener Steg (on the way up to Klein Matterhorn) have been taken away in the last few years by the new lifts put in there. The indoor queue for the cable car at Blauherd should be reduced by the new lift at Tuftern. On gondolas and chairlifts you can reduce the numbers allowed on each one. Two of the biggest queues (and they are never that big) in high season weeks are for the chairlifts at Riffelberg and Furggsattel. But those are outdoors so not as bad as indoor queues.

My bigger worry is getting up onto the mountains. There are only three ways up (from the Swiss side that is):

1. The Sunnegga funicular gets very crowded and the queue is indoors. It is all standing rather than seated so social distancing is going to be trickier.
2. Similarly the Gornegrat railway gets very crowded and the queue is indoors. You could restrict the trains to only seated passengers I guess. In high season the early morning trains are crammed with standing passengers. But that is going to reduce capacity enormously. You could perhaps run more frequent (or longer?) trains.
3. Finally, the Matterhorn Express gondolas can be reduced in capacity from 8 (although most of the time they only 6 get in) down to 4. But the high season queues first thing can be long in any case. Plus, that queue is only partially outdoors (it is covered with one side open to the elements and with the other indoors).

I imagine they will insist on masks for anyone in those three queues.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JohnMo wrote:

Seems like the Italian govt has given them a while to work out their protocols...

“Apart from national competitions, Italy’s ski facilities will remain closed. In November you will not go skiing in Italy,” said the Italian Minister of Sports, Vincenzo Spadafora.

https://planetski.eu/2020/10/26/ski-resorts-in-italy-shut-to-general-public/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah well as I go out for my last restaurant meal for a month here in England, I see I would be in the same position if I were in Zermatt.

Quote:

In order to significantly reduce the epidemiological curve of COVID-19 cases and to avoid overloading the health system, the canton of Valais is taking new sanitary measures. From 6 November at 10 p.m., restaurants will be closed to the public. The State Council has also decided to grant financial support of CHF 20 million to the economic sectors particularly affected by the restrictions. A corresponding additional loan will be submitted to the Grand Council. In addition, there is the 9 million francs proposed by the Finance Committee of the Grand Council to support the travel and event industry.

After the measures introduced on October 18 and 22, the number of new COVID-19 infections appears to be stabilizing. Their number is still high and the Valais remains one of the cantons with the most new cases in relation to its population. The number of hospital stays continues to grow worryingly. There is a risk that the Wallis Hospital will no longer be able to cope with the influx of patients. In order to avoid overloading the health system, the canton of Valais is taking new sanitary measures.

From November 6th at 10 p.m., restaurants including cafés, restaurants, pubs, occasionally open inns, bars (including bakery, gas station, train station, hotel and camping bars) will be closed to the public. With exception of:

Home delivery of groceries and meals (only allowed until 10 p.m.);
Markets where local consumption is prohibited;
Take-Away with dispensing options while maintaining social distance (only allowed until 10 p.m.);
Non-profit canteens as well as hospital and APH canteens in compliance with increased hygiene standards (mask requirement also for the staff; only seating; a maximum of four people per table, except for people who live in the same household; 1.5 meters distance between people who work in different Tables sit, if there are no protective measures (plexiglass);
Company canteens that are not open to the public, subject to increased hygiene standards (mask requirement also for staff; only seating; a maximum of four people per table, except for people who live in the same household; 1.5 meters distance between people who sit at different tables, this if no protective measures are in place (plexiglass);
School canteens;
Hotel restaurants, for use by guests who live there, in compliance with increased hygiene standards (mask requirement also for staff; only seating; maximum four people per table, except for people who live in the same household; 1.5 meters distance between people who sit at different tables, if no protective measures are in place (plexiglass);
These measures apply up to and including November 30, 2020 and supplement the restrictions already in place. These include, among other things, the closure of night bars, night clubs, discos, piano bars, erotic clubs and other similar or analogue facilities as well as the closure of entertainment and leisure facilities (cinemas, theaters, museums, libraries and media libraries, fitness centers, wellness centers, public swimming pools and baths, Bowling alleys, concert halls and other similar or analogous places, with the exception of the hotels wellness facilities for their own guests.

The economic actors affected, who were already weakened by the measures of the first wave, are again severely affected by these restrictions. The risk of bankruptcy for many of these actors is very real, with potentially dramatic consequences for the economic system. Targeted support for these actors, particularly by granting non-repayable contributions, is therefore essential. For this reason, the State Council has decided to grant an additional loan of CHF 20 million to support the economic sectors particularly affected by the restrictions. This credit will be presented to the Grand Council.

The event and travel industry is also fully feeling the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to support the Valais players in these two sectors, the Finance Commission of the Grand Council (FIKO) will propose support measures for these two sectors during the November session of Parliament. If the application is accepted, the government will allocate 9 million francs to these industries, helping to cover the losses caused by COVID-19 for twelve months from March 15, 2020. This amount comes mainly from the funds originally reserved for the KA / EO services announced on April 9th.

As far as the event industry is concerned, this financial aid complements the federal measures in a subsidiary framework and is intended for companies that provide services on site, are involved in the construction and dismantling of infrastructures or provide other services in this area. In the travel industry, this applies to Valais travel agencies that belong to a guarantee fund recognized in Switzerland, car companies and organizers of package tours, organizers of sports or cultural camps and holidays for international guests, as well as group accommodation that is booked by guests as a package with those in the foreseeable future Future is unlikely to be expected. The applications are checked individually. The help is provided in the form of a contribution to the annual fixed costs taken into account as well as to the personnel expenses that were not covered by the KA / EO services. The amount granted is limited to a maximum of CHF 300,000 per company.

snow report
And now the Valle d’Aosta region (which includes Cervinia) is declared a red zone. So no-one going in or out. There isn’t going to be any skiing on that side of the mountain for quite a few weeks (at a minimum).
snow conditions
Things continue despite the strange times. Snow park down on the lower glacier above Trockener Steg opened today.

snow report
Booked hotels for late March. Hoping for a vaccine shot for most by then, and most travel restrictions lifted.
ski holidays
Bit of flack in the Swiss newspaper Blick this morning. If you know Zermatt you will recognise the morning queue for the Matterhorn Express at the south end of town. The lift company seem to be doing a good job of making sure everyone wears face coverings - they have taken people off lifts when they do not have them - but distancing in the queue (and this station is by far the busiest anywhere on the ski area) seems to be non-existent.

snow report
I was afraid it would be like that! Sunnegga and Gornergratbahn probably the same. They need Waitrose to organise the queues. I think that similar pictures from Cervinia a while ago probably contributed to the shutdown there so I wonder if Valais will do the same.
I can't imagine what the Saturday-night scrum in the Co-op will be like on a busy changeover... although I assume most of the current skiing visitors are Swiss and therefore probably not self-caterers?
latest report
Opening of the wider area has been pushed back one week to 5 December. Ironically after a great start to October and one of the earliest starts to the Autumn skiing area temperatures are now too high for snow making and the real stuff is refusing to come down lower down. The GFS runs look horrible for late November. Little precipitation and stupidly high temperatures.

snow report
In somewhat better news the gondolas are now being loaded onto the cables on the new Tuftern-Rothorn lift.

snow report
Just an update from the weekend. The queue problem I think was early Saturday morning before the lifts opened, and on Sunday the police were there checking and there didn't seem to be any issues (although I wasn't there too early!). In general queues were minimal and everyone seemed to be keeping their distance, which was easy because it is much quieter than normal. No restaurants or bars are open (including on the hill) but most hotels are still serving food and drink to guests as usual. The restaurant at Trockner Steg is closed and the tables and chairs are cordoned off, but you can buy a drink and a small sandwich or pizza to eat outside. They have a few plastic chairs on the terrace to sit on, but not enough. Snow cover above Trockner Steg is good, and the park is open. They have been making snow and preparing the runs down to Furgg but these are still closed, and in general there is not much snow cover at this level right now and virtually none on any sunny slopes. Cervinia side looked good but obviously it is 'closed' right now, although you could see that they had some lifts running for race training.
latest report
@Cantal, thanks
Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
snow report
JohnMo wrote:
Opening of the wider area has been pushed back one week to 5 December...

Hi John!
Couldn't find any official info on the opening for the wider area, do you know where can I find it ?
ski holidays
Swiss IC capacity fully occupied since today....
What a disgrace.
CHwitzerland...
snow conditions
@Langerzug, Shocked
snow report
AndreSilva wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

Hi John!
Couldn't find any official info on the opening for the wider area, do you know where can I find it ?

I picked it up from Twitter and Facebook but you can see it here:

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Current-news/Timetable
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Langerzug, not actually true though.

@VolklAttivaS5,
Without going into details with our resident anti-Swiss-troll on the Zermatt conditions thread, according to BAG today, it‘s 78%, see:
https://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/corona-grafiken-so-ausgelastet-sind-die-intensivstationen-wegen-corona

There‘s a distinction between certified and uncertified beds and the certified are full. Uncertified have the same equipment but are not routinely staffed by dedicated ICU staff. It‘s my impression that most countries are using additional staff who don‘t usually work in ICU to support the ICU beds during COVID and this is basically what Switzerland started doing yesterday.
ski holidays
@Cantal, Thanks for that. I am in equal measure grateful and jealous to hear from someone out there.

I suspect they will open the runs down from Trockener Steg to Furgg on the planned date of 28 November. There is snow making all the way down there and they sit in the shade on the north side of the Swiss/Italy ridge. So, even though Gornegrat and Rothorn are not opening up until a week later, that bit should be OK.

It is a real pity skiers can’t get over to Cervinia at present. They had the better snow and it is holding up well. I have been watching the vidoes of the pro teams training over there and it looks fantastic.
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
AndreSilva wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

Hi John!

I picked it up from Twitter and Facebook but you can see it here:

https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/Current-news/Timetable

Thanks!
snow report
Any views on what might happen with Cervinia post this initial lockdown phase?
snow conditions
rinky75 wrote:
Any views on what might happen with Cervinia post this initial lockdown phase?

The Aosta Valley (the area which includes Cervinia) is locked down until December 3. So I guess they will reassess close to that date. It is not obvious that there has been a huge improvement so far. The snowboard championships scheduled for 19 December have already been postponed to 2021. While not good, that does not mean the slopes won’t be open - simply that they can’t be sure and they need to plan more than a fortnight in advance.
snow report
JohnMo wrote:
Ah well as I go out for my last restaurant meal for a month here in England, I see I would be in the same position if I were in Zermatt.

Quote:

In order to significantly reduce the epidemiological curve of COVID-19 cases and to avoid overloading the health system, the canton of Valais is taking new sanitary measures. From 6 November at 10 p.m., restaurants will be closed to the public. The State Council has also decided to grant financial support of CHF 20 million to the economic sectors particularly affected by the restrictions. A corresponding additional loan will be submitted to the Grand Council. In addition, there is the 9 million francs proposed by the Finance Committee of the Grand Council to support the travel and event industry.

After the measures introduced on October 18 and 22, the number of new COVID-19 infections appears to be stabilizing. Their number is still high and the Valais remains one of the cantons with the most new cases in relation to its population. The number of hospital stays continues to grow worryingly. There is a risk that the Wallis Hospital will no longer be able to cope with the influx of patients. In order to avoid overloading the health system, the canton of Valais is taking new sanitary measures.

From November 6th at 10 p.m., restaurants including cafés, restaurants, pubs, occasionally open inns, bars (including bakery, gas station, train station, hotel and camping bars) will be closed to the public. With exception of:

Home delivery of groceries and meals (only allowed until 10 p.m.);
Markets where local consumption is prohibited;
Take-Away with dispensing options while maintaining social distance (only allowed until 10 p.m.);
Non-profit canteens as well as hospital and APH canteens in compliance with increased hygiene standards (mask requirement also for the staff; only seating; a maximum of four people per table, except for people who live in the same household; 1.5 meters distance between people who work in different Tables sit, if there are no protective measures (plexiglass);
Company canteens that are not open to the public, subject to increased hygiene standards (mask requirement also for staff; only seating; a maximum of four people per table, except for people who live in the same household; 1.5 meters distance between people who sit at different tables, this if no protective measures are in place (plexiglass);
School canteens;
Hotel restaurants, for use by guests who live there, in compliance with increased hygiene standards (mask requirement also for staff; only seating; maximum four people per table, except for people who live in the same household; 1.5 meters distance between people who sit at different tables, if no protective measures are in place (plexiglass);
These measures apply up to and including November 30, 2020 and supplement the restrictions already in place. These include, among other things, the closure of night bars, night clubs, discos, piano bars, erotic clubs and other similar or analogue facilities as well as the closure of entertainment and leisure facilities (cinemas, theaters, museums, libraries and media libraries, fitness centers, wellness centers, public swimming pools and baths, Bowling alleys, concert halls and other similar or analogous places, with the exception of the hotels wellness facilities for their own guests.

The economic actors affected, who were already weakened by the measures of the first wave, are again severely affected by these restrictions. The risk of bankruptcy for many of these actors is very real, with potentially dramatic consequences for the economic system. Targeted support for these actors, particularly by granting non-repayable contributions, is therefore essential. For this reason, the State Council has decided to grant an additional loan of CHF 20 million to support the economic sectors particularly affected by the restrictions. This credit will be presented to the Grand Council.

The event and travel industry is also fully feeling the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to support the Valais players in these two sectors, the Finance Commission of the Grand Council (FIKO) will propose support measures for these two sectors during the November session of Parliament. If the application is accepted, the government will allocate 9 million francs to these industries, helping to cover the losses caused by COVID-19 for twelve months from March 15, 2020. This amount comes mainly from the funds originally reserved for the KA / EO services announced on April 9th.

As far as the event industry is concerned, this financial aid complements the federal measures in a subsidiary framework and is intended for companies that provide services on site, are involved in the construction and dismantling of infrastructures or provide other services in this area. In the travel industry, this applies to Valais travel agencies that belong to a guarantee fund recognized in Switzerland, car companies and organizers of package tours, organizers of sports or cultural camps and holidays for international guests, as well as group accommodation that is booked by guests as a package with those in the foreseeable future Future is unlikely to be expected. The applications are checked individually. The help is provided in the form of a contribution to the annual fixed costs taken into account as well as to the personnel expenses that were not covered by the KA / EO services. The amount granted is limited to a maximum of CHF 300,000 per company.

The Canton of Valais (which includes Zermatt) has extended these measures by two weeks until mid-December. So no eating in restaurants until then (at the earliest).
snow report
@JohnMo, watching this closely. Our cancellation deadline for our hotel is on Wednesday so we have asked if they could be more generous with their cancellation options due to the situation in Valais and over the ridge into Cervinia.

Relying on a takeaway outdoors lunch with kids on a cold, snowy day isn't ideal, and neither will half the area being potentially closed for the duration of the trip (I know the link isn't always open due to high winds, etc, but we normally get a couple of days in Italy at least and it is a great area for family cruising and a hearty bowl of pasta)
latest report
@Whitters, you might wanna know that Italian government today urged the EU to decide ‘no skiing until end january’.
Switzerland will most likely follow any EU decision imo. Can’t see them keeping up their current rather disgraceful stubbornness during high season...
snow report
@Langerzug, thanks for the update, bad news but understandable
ski holidays
Speaking to an instructor Living in Cervinia who confirmed the above said regional authorities are looking for a solution but doesn’t look positive.
snow report
Well there really has been a lack of snow since that great dump at the beginning of October. The weather thread on this forum is not holding out a huge amount of hope for the near future. But I am going to grasp at the straws GFS shows for the middle of next week (see below). I guess the good news if you are a piste skier (and the even bigger if of being in or getting to the Alps) is that the temperatures are fine so snow making is in full swing at present (second photo).

latest report
Despite the wider opening being postponed for a week, this Saturday they are opening the runs down to Furgg in the Matterhorn area at the south of the Swiss side. This will be pistes: 70, 66, 65, 64 and 63 (see piste map below). I expected the others (all running down from Trockener Steg) but 70 is a real bonus. It is a lovely run that you access by taking the glacier chair lift up to Furggsattel.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy