Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 20/21 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Still no sign of high pressure firmy establishing itself over Europe.

Indeed rather the opposite.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Risk of stormy weather continues in Alps and Pyrenees. https://www.estofex.org/

“A level 1 was issued across Pyrenees mainly for excessive rainfall.

A level 1 was issued from Massif Central towards the Alpine range and northern Italy mainly for excessive rainfall, large hail and to the lesser extent for severe wind gusts.”

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As a skier and non meteorologist, I simply want the best opinion about if it’s likely to have snowed, will snow, there will be snow, where and when I am going to go. I think that’s what most skiers want, in simple language. I concede that a lot of detail if fine, And would not deny any detailed scientific discussion,but a brief summary would be good.

Regards to all from someone who does not yet feel able to book a skiing holiday
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Might see a little fresh on top of Hintertux tomorrow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like some proper warm weather likely around the turn of the month.

GFS

ECM

Less clear whether it will stick around mind you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Meanwhile...

“A level 1 and level 2 are issued for E and S Germany, the W Czech Republic and N Austria for severe convective wind gusts, large hail and tornadoes.

A level 1 is issued for S Austria and NE Italy mainly for excessive convective precipitation, large hail and to a lesser degree for severe convective wind gusts.”

https://www.estofex.org/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
twoodwar wrote:
As a skier and non meteorologist, I simply want the best opinion about if it’s likely to have snowed, will snow, there will be snow, where and when I am going to go. I think that’s what most skiers want, in simple language. I concede that a lot of detail if fine, And would not deny any detailed scientific discussion,but a brief summary would be good.

Regards to all from someone who does not yet feel able to book a skiing holiday

The simple truth: Any snow “forecast”, beyond 2 or 3 days ahead, is totally useless — you might as well roll a dice. And even that is pushing it; we’ve all been in a ski resort and told clearly by the locals that tomorrow there will be a storm, only to have a beautiful sunny day skiing.

Here is a more in-depth article:

https://www.inthesnow.com/people-perhaps-particularly-british-people-tend-get-excited-snow-reports/

But I would love to see some feedback and stats from the far more experienced people @ Snowheads. Are there any stats on how accurate predictions have been for the coming seasons snow forecast?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Poogle, I’m not really sure what you are asking? If you are asking whether there are any statistics on the ability of long term forecasts (ie seasonal forecasts) to predict snowfall weeks or months in advance then the answer would surely be no as no forecasts (of any credence) seek to make such long term predictions. They tend to be focussed on the broad climate, will probably be probabilistic and heavily caveated. The underlying scientific foundation doesn’t really exist for much more than that. I think you can push out a bit beyond two to three days in terms of forecasting (see the first post on page one), but forecasting precise snowfall figures is extremely fraught even at short range (not least because it’s a real task even trying to measure after the event).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nozawaonsen, Many thanks for your insightful knowledge, really appreciated. My question is more can you make a general prediction about the weather in the Alps next season? And if so, how accurate can that be? E.g.: can you predict it’s going to be generally a good snow season next year?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My own view is not with any great confidence. Sometimes an especially strong climatic signal may be visible some months out. But these are only likely to allow you say that this increases the likelihood of this or that type of weather during the season. Not for a specific date nor more than saying the probability of this type of weather is increased or decreased, but even then it’s still hard to have real confidence.

So the potential shape starts to appear, like looking through a really fuzzy television picture. But that outline may subsequently shift or prove to be misleading.

So the higher the confidence you have in long term forecasts (good or bad) the more likely they are to trip you up.

That’s not to say that it can’t be interesting or fun to gaze out and try to pick out what may be coming. My advice would simply be not to take it that seriously. Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nozawaonsen, the level 2 storm forecast, tornados, giant hail etc turned out to be a few rumbles of thunder and a couple of spots of rain.....

To be fair there was a fair sized group of thunder storms a bit to the north but nothing quite on the suggested scale of the forecast. Storms can be even more difficult than snow to forecast.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@munich_irish, yep the ESTOFEX alert talks of risks and possibilities rather than certainties.

Some localised flooding further east https://www.facebook.com/723834707729806/posts/3087623874684199/?vh=e&d=n
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, Also the timing on that... we were in the bikepark this morning with this massive thunderstorm forecast for the afternoon. That turned out to be just a bit of thunder as it was for you, but the rain came at 9am and we got very muddy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The week looks like starting with some warmer than average weather across the Alps and Pyrenees...

And ending that way too...

Though low pressure and colder weather look more influential the following week...

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hot (Vienna hit 37.2C yesterday) and at times quite explosive weather in Austria with some big thunderstorms and tennis ball sized hail where the hot weather tips over.

Next Sunday and Monday could see heavy rain in the eastern Alps.
ski holidays
Looking back at the AAM, you can see how it was in the positive phase Mar Apr May, and then switched negative June and July.

Which lead to (or coincided with) high pressure over Europe Mar-May

And low pressure June - July (although July re-analysis isn't available yet, we know it wasn't dominated by HP)

The CFS has been pretty good at predicting AAM would turn positive again heading into August. Latest forecast below shows it's likely to stay mildly positive for at least the first half of the month.
Some commentators suggest it's more useful to note whether it's trending up or down, rather than whether it's above or below zero. Either way, it's rising now and heading positive.
It's only one indicator of course....there are many other factors that influence the weather here, so no guarantees but we should see the jet stream move further north than it has been.

Which is something we are starting to see in the short term and also the 8-10 day anomaly charts.... low pressure in the atlantic and a warm SW flow over Europe

Of course it's more than hot enough already in SW Europe, been a very dry spell in France bar a few thunderstorms in the mountains......so above relates more to the Azores high pressure reaching further north than has been
snow conditions
The Downstream impacts of Climate change are frequently apparent now. The speed of today’s plume for example is remarkable. Yesterday it was 13c here and pouring with rain at 10am. By 4pm this afternoon it will be 30c. A Ridiculous speed of change for our North Atlantic Island !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53601257
latest report
it may blow the 40C barrier in Grenoble today, already 38.9C, yesterday records were broken in south-west France where the thermometers reached 41.9C.
ski holidays
Cooler and unsettled spell on Monday night could leave a fair few cms fresh up on Hintertux should anyone be tempted.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
Cooler and unsettled spell on Monday night could leave a fair few cms fresh up on Hintertux should anyone be tempted.

I'll be in the area next Friday but Mrs M didn't sound too keen Wink
snow report
You’d probably want to hit it Tuesday or Wednesday to take advantage looks like warming up again as we go through the week.
snow conditions
Over 30 degrees on Saturday but now its snowing! https://www.wetteronline.de/wetterticker/live-vor-ort-schnee-auf-der-zugspitze-202008041557443 . From the look of it the snow fairly widespread in western Austria and eastern Switzerland https://www.bergfex.com/diavolezza/webcams/c11546/. Here in southern Bavaria it has been a mini monsoon, the autobahn around Rosenheim is flooded. Back to 30 degrees at the weekend.
snow report
l'Alpe d'Huez

Going back up to 35C in the valleys tomorrow.
snow conditions
Warm enough to sit outside in North Yorkshire this lunchtime which is nice. Bit chilly last couple of nights so Had the fire on. Looks like the bottom third of the uk will be warmer than average, even hot next week Cool
latest report
Looks like it would have been rather fine up on Hintertux first thing with yesterday’s fresh snow.

Temperatures on the way up though across much of Europe the West especially, London looking particularly warm.

Currently looking above average in Alps till mid month at least

http://youtube.com/v/6Hxz6qJi-9k
latest report
Lot's of chatter about temperature records being challanged in the UK over the next few days as the polar jet looks like staying north towards Iceland for a while.

Will be a lot of snow melt in Norway as well with high pressure in charge. Read they had the snowiest winter in 60years and 3 times normal snow depths well into late spring.
Same article has this snow depth chart of the northern hemisphere (excluding mountains?) showing 19/20 to be over 1 std deviation above mean.

Looking towards mid month, several indicators point down from around the 10th Aug, so we may start to see a more La Nina type set up return, but then again the models often underestimate the length of time it takes to change a set pattern such as the current euro block.
One feature that is interesting in the more reliable time frame is low pressure appearing near Northern Spain / Bay of Biscay, would lead to some big storms if it undercuts the high and hit's the heat dome over western europe.

ECM 12z Op is in line with the mean anomaly charts as high pressure centres near Scotland

ski holidays
Anyone hoping for a storm tonight? Watch it coming your way here:

https://map.blitzortung.org/#1/29.8/8

Zoom in to your location
latest report
@Bennyboy1, nice!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bennyboy1, We got the storm in Perthshire, started in the evening seemed to go north then came back in the middle of the night, report from STV says Perth got 90mm overnight 42mm of that in one hour.
snow report
@larry1950, that’s probably not a storm you actually want!

Other than a few hits west of London we didn’t get anything where I live. Getting a bit desperate for the weather to break now...even just for a bit. Uk must be close to drought?
ski holidays
Interesting for a London and region:

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/about-us/performance/reservoir-levels-and-rainfall-figures

(Sorry I can never work out how to make it a proper link )
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, thanks for that storm link - fascinating. None round my way at the moment.
snow conditions
Met office have a permanent storm warning but nothing in my part of devon for 48 hours now and there was I looking for a nice bit of rain to fill the rivers for a bit of sea trout fishing and water the veg patch. The local water company tell us to save water but they have had two leaks running for ages just down the road - they only appeared after the road was shut by them for water main work.
ski holidays
Am away from the computer for a while but the 12z looks very wet and windy for Uk and France for days on end, as usual GFS is the most progressive with depth of low pressure.

Big shift in the current pattern seems likely now. Biscay low heads NE and merges with deeper Atlantic lows. Fireworks and floods
snow report
The properly hot weather has been fairly localised in the uk. Essentially the midlands and south east. North of the midlands it’s been very warm but a lot cooler than London. Had the fire on a few nights during the last week. Yesterday was about the hottest so far at about27c. In London I think it was approaching 35c Shocked
ski holidays
Short term expecting some more instability across the NW alps, big differences in models though, eg Arome has zero mm while WRF has 30mm tonight in my area.

Further out there's a relatively deep low with ex tropical storm features set to join the jet stream and move NE into next weekend. GFS 6z below for Friday.

Here's ECM total precip for next 7 days, other models are even wetter, but the distribution varies of course. I think anywhere in the yellow / orange zones could see localised flooding.
Warm european SST's (sea surface temps) will likely add to the rainfall totals.

And looking at the 8-10 day anomalies it's looking autumnal throughout....westerly driven low pressure across northern half of europe.
AAM has already gone negative, followed by AO and NAO soon it seems. Even further out the CFS shows AAM heading positive again in early Sep.....but doesn't mean much at this range.
snow conditions
Here's today's 12z ECM out to Sunday....always good to compare the same model vs the same run (ie 12z v 12z instead of 12z v 00z) and same ending date.

Pretty consistent re. the orange areas over Ireland, West UK, Norway, central Europe. Looking at the pressure charts though, there are plenty of nice days to come in Europe, and I'd be surprised if central Europe is anywhere near as bad as NW Europe, given the level of high pressure clinging on
ski holidays
“A level 1 was issued for a large part of Western, Central, and Eastern Europe mainly for excessive precipitation and large hail.

A level 2 was issued for parts of Italy, S Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Bosnia and Herzegovina,W Romania, Montenegro, Serbia and N Albania for large hail, severe wind gusts and excessive precipitation.”

ski holidays
Not Europe obviously, but it looks like the temperature reached 54.4C (130F) in Death Valley! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53788018
ski holidays
Some new snow at Hintertux this AM.

Saturday looks a significant wash out in this area. Very heavy precipitation warning.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy